YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seeding Pomegranate
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2006-12-16 6:09 PM (#71870)
Subject: Seeding Pomegranate

I just wanted to share this technique with everyone. I've always loved pomegranate, but hated digging out all the little seeds. I have bought two this season, so far, and they were delicious. I learned this little trick years and years ago:

First of all- you choose a good one- the heavier the better. It's not so much the size, but the weight.
You score it in a spiral from top to bottom.
Pull apart the fruit.
Turn it seed side down in your hand over a bowl. Loosely hold it in your fingertips.
Take a wooden spoon and tap (moderately hard) on the skin side of the pomegranate.
The seeds will fall out into the bowl, through your fingers, whole- not "busted"
The seeds keep for a few days covered in your fridge- after about 3 or 4 days, though, they start to lose their flavor a little... so eat 'em up!

Hope this helps! It's one of the best tricks I've learned in about 10yrs!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-17 1:08 PM (#71896 - in reply to #71870)
Subject: RE: Seeding Pomegranate

Expert Yogi

I usually don't have a problem with this. I just take the whole thing and quarter it. Then I break it apart in a bowl by tearing the skin away from the seeds. They come out with no problems. This is yardbird's favorite fruit. I dread giving him these, he turns the entire floor area RED. So, we put him outdoors and he goes to town...all day long.

Posted 2006-12-17 3:32 PM (#71900 - in reply to #71870)

I've read seeding them in a bowl of water is a good way to keep from splattering everything. Haven't tried it yet.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-18 10:24 AM (#71925 - in reply to #71870)

seeding them in water takes some of the flavor away... at least in my experience..
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-18 10:55 AM (#71930 - in reply to #71925)

Expert Yogi

To be honest, lately the Pomegranates have been tasteless. In fact, lots of fruits and vegetables are beginning to loose their full flavor...with the exception of my home grown ones and some of the organics that I buy locally...but even still, some of the organic vegetables are still bland in flavor....cauliflower especially and the large producers.

Posted 2006-12-18 6:56 PM (#71952 - in reply to #71870)

i think it's largely because their picked before they're ripe.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-19 9:54 AM (#71989 - in reply to #71870)

Oh, the whole process for commercially produced vegetables is nuts- I see why thay have to do it- to get the most product out to the most people... but the end product is nowhere near as flavorful. They pick it unripe, let it sit in storage warehouses until it's needed, then they gas it with nitrogen (I think that's it) to speed ripen it.. but it doesn't develop any flavor. Hence, the tomatoes that taste like cardboard.
This year, the pomegranates around here have been really good- surprisingly, because the last couple of years they have sucked. I always pick up (and put down) about 20 to make sure I get the heaviest ones. The Asian Pears have been good this year. Plums were really good this summer- but around here, the peaches and nectarines SUCKED! I've just about given up on peaches and nectarines around here... it's so sad, too, because a really good one.. is just sooooo gooood..
tourist
Posted 2006-12-19 10:14 AM (#71991 - in reply to #71989)

Expert Yogi

I love that we have a whole thread dedicated to pomegranate seeding I had a friend years ago who said "we can talk about anything from philosophy to shampoo!" I like having friends who can have that range of discussions

Posted 2006-12-19 10:18 AM (#71993 - in reply to #71870)

ml:

when you have the time, just grow your own!

ok, i'm only half kidding. i like permaculture garden techniques because you can get a highly productive garden out of a very small space. it's really cool. i hope to grow most of my own food in a permaculture garden someday. I am doing some perma-pots this year (until the move!). That should get us some fresh stuff! than you know it's ripe!

ok, i plug my perma-peeps again: http://pathtofreedom.com
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-19 2:55 PM (#72003 - in reply to #71870)

I love growing stuff for myself (although, I haven't yet in the new house)...but growing produce for the restaurant would be an endeavor I'm not up for. Alice Waters can do it- she has a lower cover count and a higher check avg.
We go through $600-$1000/week in produce (that's wholesale $$) depending on how busy we are- We go through over 200 heads of lettuce a week alone.. A local school was going to grow herbs for a business class- so they could see the process start to finish- plant, grow, harvest, package, sell. They asked us to participate and buy our herbs from them. We were game, but I guess it never came to fruition as I never heard back from the teacher.

Posted 2006-12-20 11:35 AM (#72050 - in reply to #71870)

the perma-peeps that i plugged, they sell a lot of their produce to specialty restaurants. they grow a lot of edible flowers, herbs, and unusual fruits/veggies. they make a living off of their home. it's pretty cool.
Sully
Posted 2007-04-09 3:02 PM (#82851 - in reply to #71870)

First thoroughly wash the whole pom. The way to eat a pomegranate is cut the pom in 1/4 in the bowl. Score the outer peel and cover with water. Soak for an hour or so. The seeds will separate from the peel and hopefully float away. The job is messy but you can remove pulp and peel pretty easily. I suppose you could save the pom/water and drink it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)