YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A New View
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-10 11:59 AM (#71471)
Subject: A New View

Expert Yogi

Imagine you're at the airport. While you're waiting for your flight, you notice a kiosk selling cookies. You buy a box, put them in your travelling bag and then you patiently search for an available seat so you can sit down and enjoy your cookies. Finally you find a seat next to a gentleman. You reach down into your travelling bag and pull out your box of cookies. As you do so, you notice that the gentleman starts watching you intensely.

He stares as you open the box and his eyes follow your hand as you pick up the cookie and bring it to your mouth. Just then he reaches over and takes one of your cookies from the box, and eats it! You're more than a little surprised at this. Actually,you're at a loss for words. Not only does he take one cookie, but he alternates with you. For every one cookie you take, he takes one.

Now, what's your immediate impression of this guy? Crazy? Greedy? He's got some nerve?! Can you imagine the words you might use to describe this man to your associates back at the office? Meanwhile, you both continue eating the cookies until there's just one left. To your surprise, the man reaches over and takes it. But then he does something unexpected. He breaks it in half, and gives half to you. After he's finished with his half he gets up, and without a word, he leaves.

You think to yourself, "Did this really happen?" You're left sitting there dumbfounded and still hungry. So you go back to the kiosk and buy another box of cookies. You then return to your seat and begin opening your new box of cookies when you glance down into your travelling bag. Sitting there in your bag is your original box of Cookies -- still unopened.

Only then do you realize that when you reached down earlier, you had reached into the other man's bag, and grabbed his box of cookies by mistake. Now what do you think of the man? Generous? Tolerant?

You've just experienced a profound paradigm shift. You're seeing things from a new point of view. Is it time to change your point of view?

Now, think of this story as it relates to your life. Seeing things from a new point of view can be very enlightening. Think outside the box. Don't settle for the status quo. Be open to suggestions. Things may not be what they seem. This week try questioning ONE paradigm you have been holding onto for years and see the difference......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2006-12-10 12:15 PM (#71472 - in reply to #71471)
Subject: RE: A New View

This happened to Arthur Dent in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books....

Jonathon

Edited by jonnie 2006-12-10 12:15 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-10 10:48 PM (#71485 - in reply to #71471)

Cyndi - 2006-12-10 11:59 AM

Imagine you're at the airport. While you're waiting for your flight, you notice a kiosk selling cookies. You buy a box, put them in your travelling bag and then you patiently search for an available seat so you can sit down and enjoy your cookies. Finally you find a seat next to a gentleman. You reach down into your travelling bag and pull out your box of cookies. As you do so, you notice that the gentleman starts watching you intensely.

He stares as you open the box and his eyes follow your hand as you pick up the cookie and bring it to your mouth. Just then he reaches over and takes one of your cookies from the box, and eats it! You're more than a little surprised at this. Actually,you're at a loss for words. Not only does he take one cookie, but he alternates with you. For every one cookie you take, he takes one.

Now, what's your immediate impression of this guy? Crazy? Greedy? He's got some nerve?! Can you imagine the words you might use to describe this man to your associates back at the office? Meanwhile, you both continue eating the cookies until there's just one left. To your surprise, the man reaches over and takes it. But then he does something unexpected. He breaks it in half, and gives half to you. After he's finished with his half he gets up, and without a word, he leaves.

You think to yourself, "Did this really happen?" You're left sitting there dumbfounded and still hungry. So you go back to the kiosk and buy another box of cookies. You then return to your seat and begin opening your new box of cookies when you glance down into your travelling bag. Sitting there in your bag is your original box of Cookies -- still unopened.

Only then do you realize that when you reached down earlier, you had reached into the other man's bag, and grabbed his box of cookies by mistake. Now what do you think of the man? Generous? Tolerant?

You've just experienced a profound paradigm shift. You're seeing things from a new point of view. Is it time to change your point of view?

Now, think of this story as it relates to your life. Seeing things from a new point of view can be very enlightening. Think outside the box. Don't settle for the status quo. Be open to suggestions. Things may not be what they seem. This week try questioning ONE paradigm you have been holding onto for years and see the difference......

I am grateful to you for this story. I give you all my cookies.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-10 10:52 PM (#71488 - in reply to #71485)

Expert Yogi

Thanks NB, and you shall have all my Blueberry Jam. Wait a minute, you did get all my Blueberry Jam, You'll have to wait till next August.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-11 10:33 PM (#71543 - in reply to #71488)

Cyndi - 2006-12-10 10:52 PM

Thanks NB, and you shall have all my Blueberry Jam. Wait a minute, you did get all my Blueberry Jam, You'll have to wait till next August.

I do not mind waiting. The one you gave me last, I eat only one drop a day.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-12-12 9:17 AM (#71552 - in reply to #71472)

jonnie - 2006-12-10 12:15 PM

This happened to Arthur Dent in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books....

Jonathon

Douglass Adams---truly great writer
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-12-20 10:12 PM (#72083 - in reply to #71552)

Expert Yogi

I would feel most embarassed.  Is that because I would first have been most proud of my tolerance for the fellow?  I think that if I had taken just one of his cookies and been screamed at for it, however, I would be more embarassed.

This reminds my of a plane flight that I took from Tuscon to Austin on America West Airlines in about 1986.  I got into one of those arm rest battles with a florid fellow in a blue blazer.  We sat there for maybe an hour pressing hard on each other's elbows to assert our ownership of the armrest.  Eventually, he demanded to know "are you a styundent here in Taexas?!"  I was not, unfortunately, being at the time a student in California. I guess this is anticlimactic, but it seems to me another example of how airplanes create microworlds with strange realities. 

.... bg

Posted 2006-12-29 9:36 AM (#72410 - in reply to #71471)

What a great story and like BBN you can have my cookies anytime. I like what BG wrote about his flight from AZ to TX. It truly is a microworld on the aircrafts and people become naughty on these flights, IMHO. It is funny that ya'll ( I did this just for you), were battling over the armrest, but people become little kids and fight about it and ring for the FA. Just watch the next time you are on a flight, I swear altitude does weird things to people and I swear by a full moon as well.

A FA in another life
GreenJello
Posted 2006-12-29 10:59 AM (#72418 - in reply to #71471)

It's an interesting story, and a very good point. This is the reason why I usually watch for patterns of behavior rather than a single incident. After all, anybody can have a bad day, say or do something ugly. However, when it becomes a habit, then there are issues.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-01 8:36 PM (#72606 - in reply to #72410)

Expert Yogi

namaste2 - 2006-12-29 9:36 AM What a great story and like BBN you can have my cookies anytime. I like what BG wrote about his flight from AZ to TX. It truly is a microworld on the aircrafts and people become naughty on these flights, IMHO. It is funny that ya'll ( I did this just for you), were battling over the armrest, but people become little kids and fight about it and ring for the FA. Just watch the next time you are on a flight, I swear altitude does weird things to people and I swear by a full moon as well. A FA in another life

I think y'all got that raight. We just aren't accustomed to being plunked down next to other people for hours on end -- I don't even sit with my own family members that closely for that long. It's remarkable that there aren't more fights.

.... bg

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)