YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cholesterol or cancer?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

flexible
Posted 2006-12-09 10:58 AM (#71420)
Subject: Cholesterol or cancer?

Hi everybody.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. A couple of days ago I realised that I could be in a high cholesterol risk group due to my family history. I started researching about natural ways of preventing high LDL and almost every article I read tells you to first and formost stop consumption of saturated fats, which makes sense.
At the same time around a week ago I came across the article on one of the ayurvedic sites about new aproach to cancer prevention. It says "...cancer is a natural result of a lack of physical, psychological, and spiritual nourishment, then our treatment focus will essentially shift from destruction to love... The taste of love is sweetness... The most important food for providing the sweet taste that we are looking for is fat. In Ayurveda, fat is called sneha, which is a synonym for love. The best sources are raw butter, coconut oil, and fat from pasture-fed animals... " ( Here is the link to the whole article : http://everydayayurveda.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=9 )

So on one hand we need to get rid of the saturated fats in our diet to prevent high LDL, on the other hand we need to consume raw butter and fat from pasture-fed animals, which is saturated fat to prevent cancer...

I also found an article that we blame saturated fats for something that is actually done by trans fats...

I know if I keep researching I will probably find the answer. But maybe some of you already have it. Or if you could just point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-09 6:06 PM (#71434 - in reply to #71420)
Subject: RE: Cholesterol or cancer?

Expert Yogi

Hi Flexible,

I've never heard that about the sweet thing and Cholesterol in my Ayurvedic references. Cholesterol is a simple but for some reason complex issue these days. I think alot of the issues have to do with our sedentary and dietary lifestyles...seems really obvious, but for some reason with most people, very hard to manage. My personal favorite is cooking with Olive Oil, by lightly sauteeing vegetables and meats if you are not vegetarian. You have to be careful when cooking with it so you don't burn it, otherwise it becomes toxic to the body. You may want to study Heart Disease and how it is treated Ayurvedically. They say men are more proned to heart attacks because they have a tendency to hold in their tears, whereas women do not, they let their tears flow freely. Also, Hrdroga, is not limited to the modern 'heart disease' but also encompasses other conditions occurring in the heart region, including pressure applied to the heart by gases in the stomach or colon, which, if persisted over a period of time, may affect the heart adversely. In Ayurveda, the heart is the root of the Rasa and Prana channels and the seat of ojas, the mind, and of conciousness. Your conciousness resides in your heart most of the time, whether or not you are aware of it. So, one of the chief causes of heart disease are excessive thinking and worry. 'Thinking' includes both linear, mundane thinking and emotional thinking; when their free expression is inhibited, the emotions oppress the heart and weaken its muscle. Men also often seem to learn to be distrustful and quick to anger, both of which damage the heart.

You might also be interested in taking Tumeric for Cholesterol or at least learn how to cook with it on a daily basis, which is what the Nepalis culture do every day. Chinese use Tumeric as well in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Below is a website article, its very interesting about the benefits of Tumeric. If you scroll down, there is a section about Tumeric and Cholesterol. I think you would find it interesting. As for eating sweets, butter, ghee and coconut oil/butter...I think there could be some truth in that, if you were living in the old culture a couple of hundreds of years ago. Although, they say Avocado reduces cholesterol too. You know, back when they walked to town for say over 10 miles+ each way, every day, they ate a mostly vegetarian diet and obesity and over-eating wasn't much of an issue like it is today. Anyway, times have changed, but the use of Tumeric has not. Also, you may want to consider eating honey more often too, instead of sugar and processed sweets. In fact, a healthier diet in general is always good, less processed foods.

http://www.bytheplanet.com/WorldHealth/Ayurveda/tumeric.htm
flexible
Posted 2006-12-09 10:52 PM (#71448 - in reply to #71434)

Hi Cyndi,

Thank you so much for the reply as well as for the article on turmeric. It sounds like a magic herb. I've never even seen it in stores. Maybe I just didn't pay attention. I wonder if I can substitute it with curry spice untill I have a chance to get to civilization and look for the root itself. There is only one local store in our tiny town That was a very useful article. Thank you so much.

Take care.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-09 11:03 PM (#71450 - in reply to #71420)

There are places online you can check out. Penzey's Spices is really great for dried spices. I don't know all that much, but I'd probably say you can't sub curry for turmeric. While curry powders do contain turmeric, they are often a blend of other things. Depending on what's in there, it may cause different effects..
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-12-10 9:35 AM (#71460 - in reply to #71420)

I have to ask, this thread reminded me of another theory I heard. It said effects of chloresterol were measured at room temp, and so isn't reliable since our body temp is much warmer. Is this theory bull, or realistic? I stay away from the evil transfats, but holy cow, the butter....
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-10 9:48 AM (#71462 - in reply to #71450)

Expert Yogi

Curry is actually a totally different plant. It too has been known to lower cholesterol and its very good for women. Then there are curries, which is a blend, although I never say curry in this way because I know that curry is a plant, I have one and use its leaves to add to cooking. Anyway, Josmt, the website you sent me has organic Tumeric Powder. I'm going to paste it below. There are all kinds of resources for these spices. Frontier is another resource as well. I'll give you both. When you go to Frontier's website, it is actually Auracacia too, they are together. Just scroll down at the bottom and click on Frontier and that will take you to the cooking spices and tea products. You'll have fun at this web site, it's pretty cool.

http://www.frontiercoop.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ac

http://botanical.com/products/tea_bev/tea_bev.html

Edited by Cyndi 2006-12-10 9:53 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-10 10:58 PM (#71490 - in reply to #71420)

flexible - 2006-12-09 10:58 AM

Hi everybody.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. A couple of days ago I realised that I could be in a high cholesterol risk group due to my family history. I started researching about natural ways of preventing high LDL and almost every article I read tells you to first and formost stop consumption of saturated fats, which makes sense.
At the same time around a week ago I came across the article on one of the ayurvedic sites about new aproach to cancer prevention. It says "...cancer is a natural result of a lack of physical, psychological, and spiritual nourishment, then our treatment focus will essentially shift from destruction to love... The taste of love is sweetness... The most important food for providing the sweet taste that we are looking for is fat. In Ayurveda, fat is called sneha, which is a synonym for love. The best sources are raw butter, coconut oil, and fat from pasture-fed animals... " ( Here is the link to the whole article : http://everydayayurveda.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=9 )

So on one hand we need to get rid of the saturated fats in our diet to prevent high LDL, on the other hand we need to consume raw butter and fat from pasture-fed animals, which is saturated fat to prevent cancer...

I also found an article that we blame saturated fats for something that is actually done by trans fats...

I know if I keep researching I will probably find the answer. But maybe some of you already have it. Or if you could just point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

To point you in the right direction: Read the story of 5 friends from my book, 'Health and Yoga Aphorisms with Commentary'. If you do not wish to purchase the book, request Cyndi to only post that story part on the board. You may have to pay her, though, for this service!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-11 8:58 AM (#71501 - in reply to #71490)

Expert Yogi

Does this mean I just got permission to re-print copywrited material??? If so, then I will be happy to paste the material. Only until I get the A-Okay from the Author himself. Now I got to figure out which story...dammit NB, are you trying to test me again?

Cyndi - who's shaking and quivering...hoping she can get the answer correct,
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-11 9:56 AM (#71506 - in reply to #71501)

Cyndi - 2006-12-11 8:58 AM

Does this mean I just got permission to re-print copywrited material??? If so, then I will be happy to paste the material. Only until I get the A-Okay from the Author himself. Now I got to figure out which story...dammit NB, are you trying to test me again?

Cyndi - who's shaking and quivering...hoping she can get the answer correct,

What I meant was: Flexible should officially request you. Then, you charge Flexible heavily, and post ONLY the Story Part (Story of 5 animal friends in the Diet Section of Aphorism: Means of Perfect Physical Health are : Biologically Correct Diet, etc. ). And, then we share that heavy income!

That is what I notice in USA. People prefer to pay 50 dollars to a Corporate Place than 20 dollars to an Individual.

But, in case Flexible is not flexible, but requests you, ONLY post the story part from beginning to end with intro statement and the concluding statement. For this, I shall send you thanks and some other things.
ginkgo
Posted 2006-12-27 5:16 AM (#72291 - in reply to #71420)

Hi,

There is a lot of wrong information out there. First high cholesterol is not caused by consuming cholesterol. The liver makes most of it and it makes less when you eat cholesterol. It is saturated fat and lots of total calories that cause high blood cholesterol. As far as cancer goes, 4,000 studies say that fruits and vegetables prevent cancer. I never heard of butter preventing cancer but coconut is a fruit.

Avocado is 70% fat but that fat is good for you. Michael Roizon M.D., Author of You: The Owners Manual says that the fat from avocados is the best fat. He also says they prevent prostate cancer. If you eat them when they are perfectly ripe, it melts in your mouth like a gourmet ice cream. Many times it is listed among the 10 healthiest foods. Try eating butter by itself.

Lots of studies have shown the benefits of unsaturated fat. President Bush had a physical showing he is in great health. His MD says the only supplement he takes is omega-3s (unsaturated fat). It lubricates the brain and arteries and can sometimes cure depression. Americans need it and they do not get enough from diet since it is in fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, pumkin seeds, canola and soy oil. Lots of studies show the benefits of olive oil (mostly mono-unsaturated).

Another big preventer of cancer are the indole-3-carbonoles. They are in cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli. Here is a webpage below that tells of a diet that has cured cancer, depression and pages of lots of health problems. The home page tells the principles of a healthy diet that is not as extreme.

Cancer does have the strong emotional causes. But there are lots of people eating lots of saturated fat that are very mean. Do you think that saturated fat goes with loving people. I bet anyone will tell you that for your emotions (besides omega-3s) the best things are yoga and meditation and their practitioners are more loving than most people. Love goes together with peace and happiness.

Natural Healing Including Depression
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)