YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

An interview with a Zen Priest
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-28 4:53 PM (#68408)
Subject: An interview with a Zen Priest

Expert Yogi

an interview with John Daido Loori, Roshi. Founder of the famous Zen Mountain Monastery

I was reading this interview this morning. This particular section was really interesting. So, therefore I am posting this for interesting reading. The part that got my attention was the question at the end about the relationship between the body and thinking. Which prompted me to think about how that relates to my yoga experience. This is a great article and I only gave you a small portion of the entire interview.

Interviewer:

Our culture is very intellectual, and we're all trained to verbalize. We use words to avoid experience. There is an internal mechanism in place, to "know" things immediately, to put words to experiences, so we don't have to be with the preverbal experience.

JDL: You're absolutley right. One of the difficulties of being a teacher in the West....I have problems that these ancient teachers never had. Half of my students are doctors of something. They're well educated, well read, and they know more about Buddhism than I do. The stuff they read is unbelievable. And so they tend to crouch everything in an intellectual paradigm, and I'm trying to get them to embody what they're talking about.

Sometimes very intellectual people tend not to be tactile, or feeling. Men in particular. I have one student who is so bright. He's so sincere. He's a philosophy major. I realized the other day, when he became my attendant, that he couldn't get simple movements down, like putting down a cup. He'd get all confused about it. And when I ws following him out, I was watching the way he was walking. He wasn't in possession of his body. [JDLoori stands up and demonstrates by walking stiffly, awkwardly.]

Interviewer:

He was holding on really tight.

JDL:

He was very tight. And I said to him, "I want you to start playing frisbee with the other guys. And I'd like you to start playing basketball. And your instructions are, you have to beat Hogan." Hogan is one of my senior monks who is an 'animal'. [Laughter] "You have to beat him one-on-one." Because I think that's why we do body practice, to help people embody a lot of things that they just hold on to in their intellect.

Interviewer:

What is the relationship between the body and thinking?

JBL: They're the same thing. Body and mind are one. Same reality.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-10-28 6:36 PM (#68412 - in reply to #68408)
Subject: RE: An interview with a Zen Pr

Good article, I'd like to see the whole thing if possible.

I am (or was) pretty much in the same position as the guy mentioned in the article. Very intellectual, not very physical, or in possession of my own body. One of the things that interested me about yogi was the lack of intellectuallism in it. (Okay, so that's turned out to be not entirely true)
tourist
Posted 2006-10-29 11:01 AM (#68440 - in reply to #68412)
Subject: RE: An interview with a Zen Pr

Expert Yogi

I remember my teacher remarking when I started to get "out of my head and into my body" and I enjoy watching that process with students as well. It is freeing and liberating.
kristi
Posted 2006-10-29 5:01 PM (#68456 - in reply to #68408)
Subject: RE: An interview with a Zen Priest

Veteran

So tourist, you mean that the teacher does get something nice from the student also, and not only the student from the teacher ?
This is very nice.
Kristi
tourist
Posted 2006-10-30 9:23 AM (#68480 - in reply to #68456)

Expert Yogi

Oh yes, the teachers do receive a lot from the students. I do not teach just because I get that enjoyment of watching students progress, but it is a wonderful reward nevertheless. I feel a great deal of gratitude to the students for allowing me to share their journeys.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-10-30 10:39 AM (#68488 - in reply to #68408)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)