YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Christian Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2006-10-31 2:41 PM (#68626 - in reply to #68378)
Subject: RE: Christian Yoga

That will help you find those pistachios easier
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-10-31 2:42 PM (#68627 - in reply to #68626)

jonnie - 2006-10-31 2:41 PM

That will help you find those pistachios easier

Yes, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, pistachios.....Yummy.

Posted 2006-11-01 2:48 PM (#68697 - in reply to #68378)

Very interesting post by Professor Subhash Tiwari (article referenced).

A very good read and well thought out, whether you agree or not.

It seems though he (or she) is in direct conflict witht he assertions of Sri Aurobondo and The Mother relative to yoga and religion. There's a very small book which one can read in a week (easily, in a day if focused) which is called The Difference between Yoga and Religion.

The Mother is one hip yoga chick.
Nick
Posted 2006-11-02 2:37 AM (#68750 - in reply to #68627)

Hi Steve,
When you get to a pistachio which isn't opened a bit, do you put it back in the packet and save a bunch of them till last, or do you go ahead and crack it open with your teeth? I think you can tell a lot about a person by which method they use of hoovering up the bag

Take care
Nick
SCThornley
Posted 2006-11-02 8:31 AM (#68757 - in reply to #68750)

Nick - 2006-11-02 2:37 AM

Hi Steve,
When you get to a pistachio which isn't opened a bit, do you put it back in the packet and save a bunch of them till last, or do you go ahead and crack it open with your teeth? I think you can tell a lot about a person by which method they use of hoovering up the bag

Take care
Nick

I keep a pair of diagonal wire cutters near by, they seem to be the best tool for opening difficult pistachios.
Nick
Posted 2006-11-02 10:06 AM (#68782 - in reply to #68757)

Hi Steve,
That's not a bad idea-it's amazing how many life-changing tips you can get from the internet-my life was so empty before I found out about the wire cutters You nut.

Nick
Kym
Posted 2007-01-04 1:46 AM (#72787 - in reply to #68378)

Sanskrit is taught at Yoga Fit level 4.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-06 7:21 AM (#72999 - in reply to #68467)

yuvrajjj - But what western historians (who could never concede that any civilization is superior to theirs)

Chinese can't concede this either- same with Japanese...and just try to tell a Vietnamese that any civilizaton is superior to theirs... you'll get an old kung fu round house kick in the chest, just for starters...

I would also like to share what should not be considered as my opinionbut facts that qigong is based on yoga , all the major martial artspracticed today evolved from the ancient Indian martial art of“Kalaripayattu”. Today hardly anyone would believe that acupressure isNOT an ancient Chinese technique but an Ayurvedic remedy developed inIndia & that the first man on Everest was Tenzing Norgay, not SirEdmond Hillary.

Wow, news to me... but I have a Vietnamese husband. And even he has to give it up to the Chinese for the kung fu. Also, this might make you mad, but the martial arts developed in India are regarded by him as... not as effective as Chinese martial arts. This is really bad, but I think he might view that style as rather effeminate. As for Everest, I am of the mind that it was ascended way before Tenzing or Edmond, a Nepali whose name was not recorded.

I am just trying to make a little trouble, because after all you did bring up martial arts, which we ALL know originated from kung fu- Bruce Lee was Chinese, wasn't he? Proof enough!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-06 8:32 AM (#73000 - in reply to #68378)

Ha, just like westerners climbing Everest today, the Sherpa carry all the supplies up, then go down the mountain, coax the westerner up the mountain, and then drag them back down the mountain after they spend every bit of their energy focusing on getting up the mountain. And then the westerner goes back with all the pictures, and claims to have conquered the mountain.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-06 9:21 AM (#73005 - in reply to #68378)

Man, I'm a total bummer today. I posted this, and then I was getting down on myself, as if I ever did anything like climb blah blah blah, and who do I think I am blah blah blah. So enough of my petty guilt trip, all I wanted to say was those Sherpas are heros, and I have a few too many voices in my head this morning.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2007-01-06 9:22 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-06 9:54 AM (#73010 - in reply to #72999)

Expert Yogi

Hi Ellen,

About Everest being climbed by first by someone other than Hillary and Tenzin....I mentioned this before on another thread. The Sherpas have been climbing Everest for thousands of years. Actually though, Tibetan Lamas say that Everest is not a holy mountain, it is a "worldly" mountain and should not be climbed. Mt. Everest to the Nepalis is Sagarmatha - the Goddess Mother. Mt. Kailash is where Shiva resides. The Tibetans and Hindu's definitely agree that this is the Holy Mountain. It is said that everyone should visit this mountain at least once before you die.

Anyway, my husband is Nepalis.

P.S. Shelley, about the Sherpas. You would not believe how many Sherpa get killed on those Everest expositions. I think it is so wrong to use these guys to guide these stupid Westerner's up that mountain. Those Sherpas don't get paid enough for what they do. Once the Westerner's get them up the mountain, they put lives in danger because they don't listen to their guidance and become very arrogant and stupid. Okay, my first rant for this year,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-06 9:59 AM
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-06 11:04 AM (#73019 - in reply to #73005)

bstqltmkr - 2007-01-06 9:21 AM

Man, I'm a total bummer today. I posted this, and then I was getting down on myself, as if I ever did anything like climb blah blah blah, and who do I think I am blah blah blah. So enough of my petty guilt trip, all I wanted to say was those Sherpas are heros, and I have a few too many voices in my head this morning.

I have caught the Dicsovery series "Everest" on TV a couple weekends in a row and what an amazing show. Those Sherpas are amazing...... the build all of the bridges and secure all of the harnesses each year for all of the "climbers" that attempt the summit each year.
What I found something is that there are over 200 bodies up there in the snow of those that could not do it and perished to the elements and that is where they'll stay until the end of time, in the worlds biggest meat locker. No helicopter can go high enough and the terrian is much to dangerous and the oxygen is much too thin to attempt to physically haul someone down the mountain.
The expedition leader was quoted at the end of the series wondering as to why so many people come to Everest to die each year.

Just my two cents on Everest.....

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Posted 2007-01-06 11:55 AM (#73025 - in reply to #68378)

i watched a show on PBS about the first team of women to climb--all sherpas--and why they climbed, and how those who made it became national heros for all women (it wsa a 'women's lib' sort of thing for them). it was a really amazing show that also showed a lot about the Sherpa way of life, their beliefs and practices (which are buddhist, but also their own "animistic" tradition--really beautiful stuff). It was followed by a documentary about mongolian horse herders. really amazing documentaries. i'll see if i can find the titles.

it's inspiring for more than just climbing mountains (in fact, that's not the focus at all).
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-06 1:56 PM (#73042 - in reply to #68378)

I thought the Discovery show was frustating, because I wanted to know more about the Sherpa side of the story. Also, about all those voices this morning, I got them to all sing the same mantra for a while, and the misbehaving ones fell asleep.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-06 2:28 PM (#73046 - in reply to #73042)

Dear Yurajjj,

I am sorry for trying to tease you last night. I just got a little devil inside me and did not resist. That should teach me not to post at 4 am after watching, "Poker After Dark" on tv!

My simplistic world view, when people start talking about who discovered what and what belongs to whom, is that we are all merging into one anyway, culture, beliefs, economic systems, racial categories. Humans like to mingle with each other, for better and worse, so why fight it. Everything is in the process of being influenced by everything else. Somethings lost, somethings gained, the way of the world.

What I did not give proper regard to is the oppression hindus have endured. I appologize.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-07 5:32 AM (#73126 - in reply to #73010)

Hi Cyndi! Thank you for teaching me about the mountains.

Cyndi - 2007-01-06 6:54 AM

Anyway, my husband is Nepalis.

I love having a husband from another land
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 11:16 AM (#73155 - in reply to #68418)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-10-28 9:45 PM  Dear Y: Thanks for this article. While there is a lot of truth in the article, there is also a more important problem which Hindus and Indians have created for themselves. And, that is worse than others snatching origin from them. The problem can be stated very simply: The Hindus and Indians are NOT holding to their origin. I mean they are not doing Yoga Practice. I invite all readers of this post including the writer of the post and the writer of that article to do the following: - Look around themselves and write down the names of all Hindus whom they are associated with. - Then write against each name whether they practice Yoga. - Then do the same with Non Hindus. - Then compare. You will be surprised. I am ashamed to state that there are more nonHindus in my classes than Hindus.

Within the US, which is they only context I can reference with any depth of personal experience, it's hard for me to answer the question of how many Hindus practice yoga.

I do not see many Indians in yoga classes. Further, it's not always easy for me to tell which Indians are Hindu and which are Christian or Muslim unless there's some conspicuous symbol -- a hijab, names like Muhammad or Ganesh, certain kinds of tilak, or a cross worn around the neck. There is a very large Indian immigrant community in my area, but it has its own institutions and activities. These folks don't tend to move outside their own community, and the community is not terribly welcoming to non-Indians. I know that the local Satsang center has yoga classes, but I have no idea how many people are participating. Finally, I know a number of westerners in my yoga classes who follow Hindu practices and spiritual beliefs in ways that make them Hindu in everything other than family origin.

You can find a number essays on the question of "Who is a Hindu?" Vivekananda, for example, has one that is well known.  Most commentators (at least, most that I have read) come to the conclusion that a Hindu is defined by beliefs rather than exclusively by having been born to a Hindu family.  From this, I think that we can take the western versus Indian issue out of the discussion of so-called "christian yoga".

It is clear that the essential beliefs of Christianity are not compatible with the essential beliefs of Hinduism, owing to things like the unique and authoritian nature of the Christian deity, karma/reincarnation, and the question of Biblical versus Vedic scriptural authority (this in itself is a long discussion, and we have another thread on it in this forum).

Yoga in its more general sense (i.e., not just doing asanas) is an essential element in Hindu belief, but it's only a part of Hindu belief. Therefore, one who practices yoga is not necessarily a Hindu.

The goal of yoga, which is to move toward the Divine, is in its simplest form compatible with Christianity. However, no Christian would agree that salvation could be achieved through Karma yoga alone, nor through Raja yoga, nor through Jnana yoga... Bhakti yoga (the yoga of devotion) would come closest to Christian thinking, I think, provided that the practice included acceptance of Jesus Christ as one's personal savior and the rejection of all other gods.

To make any sense of the question of whether one can have a "christian yoga", we really need to start with a definition of yoga. That definition could then be balanced against christian tenets. It could also be balanced against the forms of yoga described in ancient Indian scriptures, such as the Bhagavad Gita or the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali.  We would be seeking to determine whether this definition of yoga were consistent with both.

My sense is that people on both sides of the question are using fuzzy definitions of both yoga and the two belief systems; in fact, I'm not certain that any of the three can be defined with sufficient precision to answer the question.

What do y'all think?

... bg

Nick
Posted 2007-01-07 12:23 PM (#73163 - in reply to #73155)

Hi Bay Guy,
Very eloquently put, if I may say so. I think what we are seeing is an evolution in progress-as philosophies, cultures, and religions are exposed to each other more freely, and people begin to explore the boundaries and limitations of the religion they were born with. I hope that in this way, perhaps, as each individual responds to their chosen spiritual path, we actually see the breakdown of religion as such-no christians, no hindus, no muslims-just individual spirits, each one of which breaks the mold. That's what I hope, anyway
Nick
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-08 6:29 PM (#73318 - in reply to #68378)

Om namah Sivaya,

Funny thing happened to me several years ago that I just thought of while reading the last couple of replies.
At the time my employment required 100% travel and of this was many-many nights in the hotel, of which every Monday I would re-arrange the furniture in order to do my Asanas after a hard days work.....
Upon re-arranging the furniture I would always call the front desk just to let them know that I had moved a couple pieces of furniture and to please let housekeeping know that I would move things back at the end of the week when i would check out.
Well, one day I called the front desk and a rather polite Indian gentleman picked up the phone...I went through the my normal....... yada yada... furniture moved...yada yada when he asked why in the world was I moving furniture around.......... thinking I would get a little bit of sympathy I told the man that I was moving everything around in order to do some Asanas and meditation for my Yoga practice......
Sympathy or understanding was the last thing I got........."why in the world are you doing Yoga" he shouted "Yoga is no good....if you want to relax, come down here to the front desk and we will read some scriptures out of my bible" he exclaimed. He then went on for several ....long......minutes ( felt like an hour) on how Christianity is where it is at and how Yoga is a childish fools game...........

I was blown away...
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-08 9:26 PM (#73322 - in reply to #73318)

Expert Yogi

Evangelism can be so tiresome....

... bg

GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 11:49 PM (#73339 - in reply to #73318)

Ravi - 2007-01-08 6:29 PM
Sympathy or understanding was the last thing I got........."why in the world are you doing Yoga" he shouted "Yoga is no good....if you want to relax, come down here to the front desk and we will read some scriptures out of my bible" he exclaimed. He then went on for several ....long......minutes ( felt like an hour) on how Christianity is where it is at and how Yoga is a childish fools game...........

I was blown away...

Had a similar experience with a couple of nice chinese girls I was talking to at one point....
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-09 11:44 AM (#73391 - in reply to #73322)

Expert Yogi

Hey Ravi,

Have you ever heard of Ravi Zacharias?? You should do a google search, it will help you understand your experience...trust me.
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-09 12:13 PM (#73398 - in reply to #68378)

Yeah....I did a google search and I think that I would have been on the phone a bit longer with Mr. Zacharias if he knew I was moving furniture around for Yoga............

I am going to do some more searching about him becasue I am pretty interested to hear his views about his native religion and the reason that his family converted.

Thanks Cyndi!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-09 1:05 PM (#73402 - in reply to #73398)

Expert Yogi

If you want...I have a copy of his book that I would be happy to loan you. Send me your snail address, that way you won't have to spend any money. It was given to me by my Father's Baptist preacher several years ago when he found I married a Hindu from Nepal, It's called "Jesus among other Gods".
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-09 5:55 PM (#73446 - in reply to #68378)

Cyndi,

I PM'd you with my addy and an offer to take a look at Bliss Divine by Swami Sivananda as I have just finished reading it.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)