YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asthma!?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2006-10-24 8:02 PM (#68073)
Subject: Asthma!?

Extreme Veteran

I was just diagonsed with asthma the other day, and put on several medications to help with the symptoms.  The doctor says I also have a touch of bronchitis.  Does anyone else here have asthma?  How are you dealing with it?  I do feel much better since starting the medications, but I'm imagining taking these meds for the rest of my life and wondering if there is a better way to handle it.  Can anyone recommend any natural remedies for the symptoms?

Samantha

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-24 10:27 PM (#68087 - in reply to #68073)
Subject: RE: Asthma!?

samantha77 - 2006-10-24 8:02 PM

I was just diagonsed with asthma the other day, and put on several medications to help with the symptoms.  The doctor says I also have a touch of bronchitis.  Does anyone else here have asthma?  How are you dealing with it?  I do feel much better since starting the medications, but I'm imagining taking these meds for the rest of my life and wondering if there is a better way to handle it.  Can anyone recommend any natural remedies for the symptoms?

Samantha

Asthma and Broncoitis are twin brothers. They both are different stages of respiratory development. Medication never helps them. It only gives temporary relief at the cost of screwing the respiratory system further. Remedy lies in a total change of life style.
yuvrajjj
Posted 2006-10-25 1:00 AM (#68096 - in reply to #68073)

Pranayamas like Kapalbhati , Anulom-Vilom and Bhastrika has the ability to cure your asthama. I am not saying that they can be a considered as a substitute to your medications, but if they are practised with dedication and showing patience you will get good results. They are just breathing exercises so you have nothing to lose , so don't knock it till you have tried it.

Edited by yuvrajjj 2006-10-25 1:10 AM
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-25 5:21 PM (#68160 - in reply to #68087)

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn - 2006-10-24 10:27 PM
Asthma and Broncoitis are twin brothers. They both are different stages of respiratory development. Medication never helps them. It only gives temporary relief at the cost of screwing the respiratory system further. Remedy lies in a total change of life style.

What kind of lifestyle changes could I make?

samantha77
Posted 2006-10-25 5:23 PM (#68162 - in reply to #68096)

Extreme Veteran

yuvrajjj - 2006-10-25 1:00 AM Pranayamas like Kapalbhati , Anulom-Vilom and Bhastrika has the ability to cure your asthama. I am not saying that they can be a considered as a substitute to your medications, but if they are practised with dedication and showing patience you will get good results. They are just breathing exercises so you have nothing to lose , so don't knock it till you have tried it.

Thank you!  I'll definitely ask my teacher about this.

Samantha 

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-25 6:14 PM (#68166 - in reply to #68160)

samantha77 - 2006-10-25 5:21 PM

kulkarnn - 2006-10-24 10:27 PM

What kind of lifestyle changes could I make?

While you are already having respiratory problem, in general, no breathing exercises should be taken up. In this case, any relief from the breathing exercise is symptomatic, meaning a false impression of improved health. The breathing exercises should be done only after the respiratory system is out of systemic problem, such as Asthma.

Total Life Style Change: All can not be spelt out here. Read my book: "Health and Yoga Aphorisms with Commentary" (www.authenticyoga.org). But, some changes: Clean Air, Great Rest, Peaceful Attitude, Organically grown diet, as much raw as possible, and NO Dairy of any kind. And, NO MEDICATION OF ANY KIND INCLUDING AYURVEDIC, HOMEOPATHIC, YOGA, ACUPUNCTURE, ETC.

Best Luck
yuvrajjj
Posted 2006-10-26 12:13 AM (#68188 - in reply to #68073)

People promoting their books , websites etc. please dont misguide anyone.

One should consult an expert regarding the benefits of Pranayama and can decide whats best for him / her.

Nick
Posted 2006-10-26 3:39 AM (#68192 - in reply to #68188)

Hi Samantha,
I think the device on the website below is fantastic-you can get other versions from the same people which are not sports orientated, but I would go or this. I think that it is a fantastic tool for asthma sufferers-often, becuase their breathing is already compromised, they either do not get out of yoga what they should, or actually succeed in making their condition worse. If you get one, I can give you more in-depth information. I know that some will say that this is inferior to pranayama, but this is a foolproof way of improving lung compliance and good breathing technique. Take care
Nick

http://www.gaiamdirect.co.uk/content/productlist.aspx?cID=366

Edited by Nick 2006-10-26 3:40 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-26 9:19 AM (#68210 - in reply to #68188)

yuvrajjj - 2006-10-26 12:13 AM

People promoting their books , websites etc. please dont misguide anyone.

One should consult an expert regarding the benefits of Pranayama and can decide whats best for him / her.

Dear Yuvrajjj: Can you please define what you mean by Expert?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-26 9:54 AM (#68216 - in reply to #68210)

Expert Yogi

Samantha,

My daughter had serious asthma when she was 3 years old. It was scary and I hated dealing with it. I always wished it would go away. Her pediatrician always supplied us with inhalers (albuterol) and cough medicines (it went along with it) and OMG, I had a cabinet full of crap. I even had air purifiers in every room. All of this stuff just masked her symptoms and really didn't work. The albuterol inhaler only worked for a short time and then quit. I can't tell you how frustrating this was.

Sooo, at 5 years old, I met this wonderful Chinese doctor who worked with my daughter. I started noticing great improvements after about 2 monts of work with her. This was a genetic thing that was going on from my husband's side of the family. We took herbs, changed the eating lifestyle dramatically with the main one of NOT eating school lunches, cut out the birthday cake parties and sugar, I stopped all her childhood vaccinations and did weekly one-hour treatments for several years thereafter. Today she is almost 14 and has not had any asthma problems.
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-26 6:45 PM (#68288 - in reply to #68073)

Extreme Veteran

Nick, Thanks for the link to that device. I think I might try it.

Cyndi, Thanks for the advice. I had been thinking of looking into non western medicine. Can you recommend a way to find a reputable Chinese Doctor?

Kulkarnn, Thanks for the advice.  I definitely do have to make some lifestyle changes.  I'll check out the book you mentioned on your website.

Samantha

Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-26 8:05 PM (#68297 - in reply to #68073)

Expert Yogi

Hey Sam,

I don't know of anyone in your area...although, I do know of a web site that has possibilities. I found a nice Japanese Acupuncture Doctor for my area from this list. It's the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. They have a practictioner search engine. Their web site is: http://www.nccaom.org/home.htm Just click on find a practictioner and type your State only. It will pull up every doctor that is certified through them in the state of NJ. I didn't fair too well by putting in all the other information and when I put a city/state together. For some strange reason, the state only was the trick. I did a check before this post and for NJ, there was a 10 page list of Doctors. Good luck. It's always helpful to ask around and see what others recommend. Do you have a New Thought magazine floating around your area?? Or sometimes yoga studios have recommendations. I would think in Upper Manhattan there would be plenty of choices, but finding a reputable one is the important factor in that city. Be careful. There are some TCMD's in NYC that would make you cringe. There are some really nasty ones in Atlanta, Ga that are filthy dirty and are pretty scary.

Anyway, maybe someone will come along and see this. I wish I knew of someone to refer you to. If you go to Atlanta, my doctor is there and he is the best!! If you go to Sante Fe, New Mexico, I know of another excellent TCMD and then of course, San Francisco has all the TCMD's you could possibly need. Good luck.
yuvrajjj
Posted 2006-10-27 1:12 AM (#68303 - in reply to #68073)

well Mr.Kulkarni , all of us have suggested different remedies & this person here who's diagnosed with asthma has different options to choose from (if at all she decides to go with any) so what would be best for her ??? Obviously you would stick to your suggestion & I will endorse Pranayama , what is Samantha supposed to do now ???

“Asthma and Broncoitis are twin brothers. They both are different stages of respiratory development. Medication never helps them” does that mean her doctor shouldn't have prescribed her any medications but should've asked her to read your book instead ???

When I’ve said that “Pranayamas like Kapalbhati , Anulom-Vilom and Bhastrika has the ability to cure your asthma” am I saying this coz I’ve cured myself from asthma by doing these pranayamas ???

Whatever advised here may or may not be the verity. Let her decide on her own whether any breathing exercises should be taken up or not. The only way she could find out what’s best for her is to find out what others (probably fitness experts) have to say regarding our suggestions and try to get an unbiased opinion. There are certain precautions to consider if one decides to try a any other curative . Please do not stop taking your medications. Always keep in mind that one should expect any new remedy to ultimately reduce your dependence on medication or enable you to do away with it altogether, but this should not be done hastily or without the approval of a doctor.

I believe that we are here to help someone if we can and not to prove each other wrong.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-27 3:03 AM (#68309 - in reply to #68192)

Hi Samantha,
I think the athletic version is the one to go for, but you have to be sure to build up slowly-and if it's still to much, get one of the easier versions. I've used the device on a couple of people with profound results iin terms of medication reduction, stress, tiredeness.

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-27 6:48 AM (#68318 - in reply to #68303)

yuvrajjj - 2006-10-27 1:12 AM

===> You have NOT answered my question which arose from your statement. Your following answer is out of line of my thinking. I can not discuss that in detail until you answer my question. But, I shall give small comments.

well Mr.Kulkarni , all of us have suggested different remedies & this person here who's diagnosed with asthma has different options to choose from (if at all she decides to go with any) so what would be best for her ??? Obviously you would stick to your suggestion & I will endorse Pranayama , what is Samantha supposed to do now ???
===> I am not sticking to my suggestion. I am giving my recommendation and advice what Samantha asked for.

“Asthma and Broncoitis are twin brothers. They both are different stages of respiratory development. Medication never helps them” does that mean her doctor shouldn't have prescribed her any medications but should've asked her to read your book instead ???
===> If the doctor knows about my book, the doctor must ask her to read my book! And, also NOT give any medications.

When I’ve said that “Pranayamas like Kapalbhati , Anulom-Vilom and Bhastrika has the ability to cure your asthma” am I saying this coz I’ve cured myself from asthma by doing these pranayamas ???
===> That can be answered only by you. But, there is NO such a thing as Cure by Pranayama. Pranayama is NOT meant for curing anything.

Whatever advised here may or may not be the verity. Let her decide on her own whether any breathing exercises should be taken up or not. The only way she could find out what’s best for her is to find out what others (probably fitness experts) have to say regarding our suggestions and try to get an unbiased opinion. There are certain precautions to consider if one decides to try a any other curative . Please do not stop taking your medications. Always keep in mind that one should expect any new remedy to ultimately reduce your dependence on medication or enable you to do away with it altogether, but this should not be done hastily or without the approval of a doctor.
===> She asked question probably because she has not got sufficient knowledge. And, therefore, she can not decide.

I believe that we are here to help someone if we can and not to prove each other wrong.

===> I am NOT helping her. I am giving her my opinion in answer to her question. I am sure it will help her, but I am not helping her. And, I am not prooving anyone wrong. I am focussed on what I have to say. If that proves another opinion wrong, I can not help. For example, one person went to a doctor who told the person to take Hot Showers. The other doctor told to take Cold Showers. That is not for proving wrong. That is the nature of opinon.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-27 6:50 AM (#68319 - in reply to #68073)

And, it is your wrong idea that: a) When one gives their own book name, or website name, they are wrong. b) When one gives them, they are giving opinion to promote their book and website.

One can give the book and website name without giving any opinion. And, unless you read my book, your ideas on my book shall be useless.
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-27 7:19 AM (#68322 - in reply to #68073)

Dear Yuvrajjj,

I think you may have began to form a wrong opinion here.

If you read back on any of Neel's previous posts, you will recognise that his advice is always authentic and is always delivered from the heart and I'm sure that many people (myself included) have benefited from his deep knowledge.

While I'm sure he's far too modest to call himself an expert, many of us view him as one.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-27 9:26 AM (#68336 - in reply to #68322)

Expert Yogi

and I have read Neel's book and can assure you it is very authentic!

I think Mr. Yuvarajjj is a new poster on this forum and is not familiar with everyone.
tourist
Posted 2006-10-27 10:10 AM (#68342 - in reply to #68336)

Expert Yogi

Yuvarajjj and other new posters - it is always a bit of a shock to me when a new poster comes on the board and instantly starts making comments that contradict or even insult the regular members. I don't know many folks who would walk into say, a yoga studio and start contradicting or argung with the teachers or students, especially before they had found out who everyone was. Yet online it seems to happen a lot. As my kids and some cute little TV character used to say "how rude!"

This is one area where the post count under our screen names and avatars is a good thing. As a new person, I would tend to look at that and if the post count was in the hundreds or thousands, I would tend to respect that person's position as a regular on the board. This does not mean you have to agree with everything everyone says! We are rather fond of debate here. Simply understand that this person has been around for some time longer than you and that they have an established place with the group. It behooves us to tread carefully and respectfully for oh... at least a week...before opening up and letting us in on your strong opinions on individuals.
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-27 3:31 PM (#68352 - in reply to #68073)

Extreme Veteran

Yuvarajjj, Thank you for your input into my situation.  As far as Neel directing me to his book, I've gotten very valuable advice from him, and others since I started coming to this board, so rest assured that if Neel or one of the others who have alot, alot of posts here or who have been around along time give advise, they mean it out of a desire to try and help, and not to get people to buy something.

Cyndi,

Thanks for the link.  I went to it and found a couple of doctors not too far from me.

Samantha

samantha77
Posted 2006-10-27 3:38 PM (#68354 - in reply to #68309)

Extreme Veteran

Nick - 2006-10-27 3:03 AM Hi Samantha, I think the athletic version is the one to go for, but you have to be sure to build up slowly-and if it's still to much, get one of the easier versions. I've used the device on a couple of people with profound results iin terms of medication reduction, stress, tiredeness. Nick

Thanks Nick

Samantha

Nick
Posted 2006-10-27 4:12 PM (#68357 - in reply to #68354)

Hi Samantha,
You are welcome. In my experience, the people with asthma are often engaged with activities that make their symptoms worse, or have a lifestyle that is not conducive to limiting the effects of the condition. My advice is, take your whole life apart, analyze which parts of it are contributing to the asthmatic bent, and eradicate them. Be absolutely logical, and drop everything that contributes. A good idea is to make a diary of things that you eat and do each day, or if something stressful occurs, when you have bad asthma days-no need to do it every day, just when you feel particularly asthmatic. You would not believe what an important tool this is in helping those who seek an alternative treatment-it is without parallel-cannot be stressed too highly

Nick

Posted 2010-03-13 9:36 PM (#121906 - in reply to #68073)

I used to have a student (a woman in her early 70's) whose doctor suggested that she take yoga to help her asthma. After two classes a week for a year, her doctor took her off all her medications and told her that unless the symptoms returned (which they didn't) that she should come back in three years. She continued yoga for another four years without asthma attacks before she moved to Arizona.

kristi
Posted 2010-03-14 5:37 AM (#121907 - in reply to #68073)

Veteran

I have spend all my childhood and adolescence years with my mother suffering from allergic asthma… sometimes suffering badly. Nobody knew about yoga or pranayama here those days. She was just taking a lot of inhalers prescribed by the doctors. Out of all the doctors my father had taken her to, the most open minded ones were suggesting to her to also do exercise that would help open and strengthen her chest/lungs. But the lifestyle of women here in those days was not offering such things…
Then my parents started getting old and things changed… Instead of being taken care of, my mom had started to be taking care of my elder father. That was when someday… asthma just forgot her. Now in her 80ies she still has her inhaler right next to her bed, only because of a habit or because of insecurity. But she hasn’t used it for yeeeears.

Having read all those precious, but sometimes contradicting advice to our friend Samantha, and having experienced the difficult asthma situation of my mom, I would just like to add : Do whatever you decide with a mindfulness, but try NOT to think too much about your asthma… I know it’s difficult (and it may even make you angry to hear that from someone who doesn’t suffer from it) but by caring too much about it, you may be enforcing it. Asthma and alergies in general are also very often, tricky.
devanterylee
Posted 2012-04-16 3:26 PM (#210375 - in reply to #68073)

Asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease of the airways characterized by variable and recurring symptoms and airway obstruction. When the airways react, the muscles around the press. The level of care and the timely medication is the only cure as of now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)