YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Flu season is coming
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Flu season is coming
OptionResults
I get a flu shot every year5 Votes - [33.33%]
I never get a flu shot7 Votes - [46.67%]
I only get a flu shot if I think flu season will be bad0 Votes - [0%]
I get a pneumonia shot1 Votes - [6.67%]
I never put any chemical in my body0 Votes - [0%]
I don't believe in this practice of medicine1 Votes - [6.67%]
I used to get flu shots but don't now1 Votes - [6.67%]
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

Debby
Posted 2006-10-18 5:38 PM (#67489)
Subject: Flu season is coming

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-10-18 5:43 PM (#67491 - in reply to #67489)
Subject: RE: Flu season is coming

i never get a flu shot.

exercise, nutrition, and sleep keep the sickies away.
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-19 10:13 AM (#67549 - in reply to #67489)

I'm with zoebird here.. everyone I know who has ever gotten the flu shot always ends up with a really nasty bout of the flu- I guess because it's dead flu they shoot into you?? I don't know..
proper diet and rest has gotten me through most flu seasons just fine..
tourist
Posted 2006-10-19 10:21 AM (#67555 - in reply to #67549)

Expert Yogi

I got a really bad case of the flu close to 10 years ago. Maybe a week of the flu and 2 weeks of pneumonia, bronchitis, ear infections - I was SICK! But it seems to have boosted my immunity really well since (touch wood) I have not had it since then. Between me working with small children and groups of adults and Mr. Tourist spending his days working on other people's keyboards (far worse than toddlers wiping their runny noses on my sleeves and pant legs, IMHO... ) we get a pretty decent opportunity for natural immunity to most things
pamela
Posted 2006-10-20 1:40 AM (#67628 - in reply to #67489)

The company I used to work for pushed the flu shots like drug dealers... but I just said no! So I exaggerate, but they did give them away free and strongly encouraged us all to get vaccinated.

In my late teens and early 20's I got the flu shots... after I had 2 years in a row of really bad flu's.

Eventually I decided they weren't necessary. Since then I've looked into what goes into a flu vaccine (aside from the funky chemicals). It is really a crap shoot as to whether the virus in the shot will be the active virus months later when the flu season strikes.

Now I eat well, keep my fingers out of my eyes and nose (most viruses hitchhike their way into your body on your fingers), use facial dips, and get some rest and take some extra vitamin C when I'm feeling run down. Seems to work...

Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction Colorado
Viniyoga Video
Free Yoga Audio
Orbilia
Posted 2006-10-23 5:15 AM (#67897 - in reply to #67628)

I get a flu shot every year as I'm in one of the NHS's "at risk" categories due to having some asthma issues. I've never been ill afterward so wonder about all the "'flu shot gave me 'flu" stories. It should be noted that each year's shot is for the strain most likely to be around that year so what you're actually getting will vary depending on where you are geographically. Also, the effect of the jab takes up to 10 days to become fully effective. That is, you could still go down with the same strain of 'flu within the first 10 days of being innoculated if you come into contact with the live virus. You're still susceptible to any other 'flu virus strain.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-10-23 5:16 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-10-23 9:10 AM (#67915 - in reply to #67489)

Never gotten a flu shot, for the reasons given above. I can fight it off if need be, and if not it's usually not that effective anyway. I'm also fairly lazy this time of year, so going to a doctor for another shot is just one less thing I've got to worry about.
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-24 11:50 AM (#68040 - in reply to #67489)

I've never had a flu shot.

I take 2 grams of vitamin C a day and up the dose if i feel a cold is coming. If i do get sick then i'll take elderberry extract and echinacea drops and cut out all dairy products.
redrox
Posted 2006-10-24 2:16 PM (#68051 - in reply to #67489)

I get them just to play safe really. But since reorienting my life to eating healthier, I am much less likely to get sick anymore as well. True influenza is just so debilitating though, I'd rather avoid it altogether and it's worth it to me to get the shot for insurance purposes. And the modern flu shot simply cannot give you the flu. Like someone mentioned, they have to prepare the serum for the shots in advance and so they have to guess a bit on the likely strains that will predominate that year and prepare the vaccine to innoculate against those strains. In recent years they have not always forecasted accurately and so the vaccine did little to combat the actual viral strain that was present in the environment during the "flu season". Most of the time they get it right though. I think it is a valuable preventive tool.
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-24 7:55 PM (#68071 - in reply to #67489)

Extreme Veteran

I haven't gotten one for a long, long time, but every year i always plan to and just never get around to going.  They're offereing them at my pharmacy this year so maybe I'll get one.

Samantha

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-10-25 8:16 AM (#68108 - in reply to #67489)

I did the flu shot one year when I was helping to care for a preemie baby, but now no. I feel strong and healthy, and if there's a shortage again someone else must surely need it more than me.
ginkgo
Posted 2006-12-27 7:28 AM (#72294 - in reply to #67489)

The flu season is almost here. Why is it always around the winter? What do colds have to do with coldl weather. What is the quickest way to get over the flu? Are colds and flus healthy for you? This article gives the answers to these questions.

http://www.articledashboard.com/Article/The-Fastest-Way-to-Get-Over-the-Flu/122596
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)