YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anatomy part III
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2006-10-12 10:21 AM (#66960 - in reply to #66935)
Subject: RE: anatomy part III

Expert Yogi

Nick - I have worked hard and getting my feet to turn forward but if I walk in wet sand, I can see that they still have a healthy amount of turnout. So what I am saying is that marylisa is probably doing the same thing.

I had a student jokingly tell me that her mother spent thousands of dollars on ballet to get her feet to tturn out and she wasn't sure she wanted to undo all that work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-10-12 12:20 PM (#66988 - in reply to #66960)

Hi Glenda,

This may help to find out whether you have the correct foot motion:

"In normal walking, the foot initially contacts at the heel. Usually, the initial contact is postereo-lateral which results in postereo-lateral heel wear. The major determinant of where maximum heel wear occurs is the initial point of contact as determined by the transverse plane position of the foot at the time of contact. Medial heel wear is usually an indication of intoeing gait, and usually points to rotational abnormality in the limb above. In gait of much faster speeds there may be no initial heel contact. An individual may contact at the midfoot and than rock backwards onto the heel or not touch the heel down at all. An example of this gait pattern would occur in a sprinter. Following an understanding of the basic phases of gait, one can proceed to recognizing the motions that occur in the structures of the lower extremity and understand the interrelationships of these structures. (Pribut).

So, what do our shoes tell us? Mine tell me that I put more weight on my right foot-there's much more wear on that side, but that the pattern ssems to be the same both sides. Must get some more shoes (vans )

Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-10-12 1:48 PM (#67000 - in reply to #66599)

Hi Nick, I like that advise to get more shoes. I'm thinking boots, it's going to be winter soon!
By the way, how's it going with the book? Did you overrule drawing your own stick figures?
tourist
Posted 2006-10-12 7:35 PM (#67017 - in reply to #66988)

Expert Yogi

Nick - I am totally with you on the getting more shoes thing. I have been looking at a cute pair of black suede ones with pink piping and a little rose on the ankle strap and there is the pair of off white sandals with serious heels and quite a lovely selection of rhinestones.....oh......not that kind of shoes?

I do wear more on the right - outside of the heel (heh - I typoed "hell" - something about the kind of day I have had...) for sure. A brand new neuroma popped up in my left foot the other night at a dance. D@mn! But I can deal with those.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-13 2:35 AM (#67031 - in reply to #67017)

What is it about girls and shoes? All you have to do is mention shoes, and it seems to release a chemical inside a woman's brain-they become like a zombie, but make a direct bee-line to the shoe shop, arms outstretched, glazed look, salivating uncontrollably.
I was plaing records at a party once, concentating on cueing them up, mucking about with the pitch controls, and then I looked up and wished I hadn't. There was a guy lying face up on the floor and a woman was standing over him, grinding one stilletto into his groin. They both seemed to be enjoying themselves, but what was really funny was that the look on the woman's face was exactly the same look as when a woman nears a shoe shop. Amazing. The shoe is God!
Of course, I went and stopped them, lectured them on the joys of the missionary position, and gave them the address of the local church so that they could go and confess the next morning.
And Glenda, this is not to give you ideas for Mr Tourist-or if it does, make sure you wear hobnails-from England, with tough Love!!

Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-10-13 10:16 AM (#67056 - in reply to #67031)

Expert Yogi

Nick - I somehow doubt Mr. Tourist would like that particular dance move and considering the age and inclinations of those we dance with, I am sure we would get a similar lecture to the one you gave those wild young 'uns! I really gave up on pretty shoes for many years both because my feet wouldn't tolerate them and because I frankly had no need for them. One dressy Christmas party per year and the occasional wedding just didn't make it worthwhile to have lots of shoes. Yoga and ballroom dancing have given me a reason to shop again.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-14 5:04 AM (#67127 - in reply to #67056)

Hi Glenda,
Actually they weren't young, they were definitely old enough to know better

Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-10-14 10:21 AM (#67133 - in reply to #67127)

Expert Yogi

That's just a bit scary, Nick...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)