YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anatomy part III
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2006-10-07 9:48 PM (#66599)
Subject: anatomy part III

Extreme Veteran

i'm trying to understand the role of the feet and their positions relative to the rest of the legs with respect to asana. when walking or standing at rest, the feet typically flare outwards just slightly and the legs are parallel.

why is it in asana that it is so necessary to have the feet absolutely parallel to each other if this is not a natural position? (well i can really only speak for myself but i've alo noticed others). in tadasana, the feet must be perfectly parallel. in warrior III, the foot of the leg parallel to the ground must point perpendicular to the ground and of course, in backbends, the feet again must be parallel. i feel so much resistance everywhere when i try to maintain the parallel position.

so, where does the flaring come from? is it from external rotation of the thighs? is it possible to achieve parallel feet AND parallel legs at the same time? does any of this even make sense??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 3:17 AM (#66609 - in reply to #66599)
Subject: RE: anatomy part III

Hey Fechter,
Another million dollar question It's all about knee safety, really. It is considered safer for the knees if you can keep the feet and knee cap in the same plane. Will go into more detail later, see you
Nick

Posted 2006-10-08 3:31 AM (#66610 - in reply to #66599)

It's a very thought-provoking question. I am certain Nick's further reply will answer all of the anotomical concerns you raise.

It is your own anatomy that makes you think the "natural" position for the feet is slightly turned out Typically that "condition" depends on where the turnout is coming from as to how it's explained. It can be the external rotators wrenching (or slightly pulling) on the femurs. But this isn't the only way the feet can turn out. One must look at the leg as a whole to make a determination (from a yogic standpoint).

And there is a piece beyond anatomy and that is the unrestricted flow of energy (some would say prana but I think this is only a partial answer). Sure prana must flow but it's not the only energey going. And the alignment of the pose is crafted to open the energy flow.

Now back to the anatomical...there is a huge safety concern with things like weight-bearing joints being in socket and connective tissue of the knee (but could also be the sacrum or the neck) not being placed "at risk". The poses, V-III for example, you do not want to hang on the connective tissue (ligaments/tendons) of the supporting leg AND you really don't want to jam your sacro-illiac joint. If that joint gets wonky you will not be a happy camper.

We store a lot of crap in the pelvis, the hips. And so this area, as a result of our consciousless evolution is tight, bound, and very difficult (often) to open. So we've got a lot of work to do. And that work is why the feet must be parallel (and it isn't always so for every student, as I've said many times, a neophyte might need a different instruction).

Edited by purnayoga 2006-10-08 3:39 AM
loli
Posted 2006-10-08 4:12 AM (#66611 - in reply to #66599)

Ohhhhh! What a brilliant post. Looking forward to Nick's further detailed answer on this too. Purnayoga is so right, the way you personally feel is the 'natural' position of the feet is not necessarily the best for your posture or knees. It was something that came up at the workshop I went to (see 'shocked and confused' in the yoga teacher section) They told everyone to stand with their eyes closed and stand comfortably, then open the eyes and see where their feet were. (They sort of explained that this was the natural stance and was best for the individual!) Thankfully, one of the guys in front of me queried this as he has fallen arches, and, although he wanted to stand with his feet turned out he knew it was better for his back to stand with the feet parallel whilst working to lift the inner arches/ankles. ('They' seemed totally lost at his querie and didn't know what to say) Turning the feet out not only can be bad for the knees but also puts pressure on the sacrum. Have a go standing with your feet turned out, and place your hand on on your lower back, you can actually feel the change in the back when you move the feet to parallel.

Edited by loli 2006-10-08 4:19 AM
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 7:55 AM (#66618 - in reply to #66599)

Hi Fechter,
Sorry about that-had to go teach. You say the legs are parallel-depends on how far apart the feet are, but also, even though the legs may be parallel, the bones of the legs are not. Because women have hip joints that are typically further apart than the male, the femurs typically angle inwards a tiny bit more-this is called the Q angle. In the female, this can also result in the tibia not being quite vertical, but may actually angle outwards to take the feet further apart, offering greater whole body stability. The trick in yoga is to optimize the structure of the knee though improving it's function-too often, students (and teachers, unfortunately) take the route of trying to change the structure directly. That's just a personal observation, I do not mean to be combative.

It is also perfectly natural for the feet to turn out. Try walking on a flat piece of sand, or if you ever have the opportunity, take a long roll of paper which stretches from one side of the room to the other, stand in a bowl of ink, and walk along the paper. You can get a lot of information about foot placement, and differences between the two sides. The other exercise is to try doing the same thing when standing, and also what happens when you stand on one leg. I won't go any deeper into what happens, because that's a science in and of itself. I may have to ask yoga.com to let me write an article for them, because I'm doings lots of replies to knee posts, and I put info in one that I don't put in another-do a search on Nick knee, and you'll probably come up with a list.

So, if you were to look at someone's footprint and the feet face straight ahead, that is actually abnormal-and can be an indicator of various neural pathologies. The aim in yoga postures is not to encorage the feet to face straight ahead when walking, but rather to optimize the soft tissues so that the walkng pattern is one that does not impose excessive wear and tear on the joints of the body-and the knee is a good joint to look at, because if the gait is faulty, the knee often bears the brunt of tbe incorrect movement.

The knee actually comprises two joints the tibio-femoral joint, and the patello-femoral joint. Good function in one encourages good function in the other, and so the knee cap faces forwards, and you try to align the femur and tibia. When you do this, you are acting on two joints, and the patella (kneecap) slides up and down the grooved joint in which it sits, and the ligaments, muscles, and tendons which cross the knee joint are made more functional. Two for the price of one!

"why is it in asana that it is so necessary to have the feet absolutely parallel to each other if this is not a natural position? (well i can really only speak for myself but i've alo noticed others). in tadasana, the feet must be perfectly parallel. in warrior III, the foot of the leg parallel to the ground must point perpendicular to the ground and of course, in backbends, the feet again must be parallel. i feel so much resistance everywhere when i try to maintain the parallel position."

This is a very good observation, and perhaps we can cover a lot of ground by addressing it. Of course, not all backbends have the feet parallel-virabhrasana 1, eka pada rajakopatasana, simhasana, for example. The object in these postures is to find perfect alignment in each leg, sparing the knee and stretching and strengthening the hip muscles.

So what about postures where the feet are parallel? That's fine, take the opportunity to strengthen the knees, and stretch the hips-si ti really doesn't matter where the feet are, more that they are placed in a way which optimizes you posture-and the posture may work by making it difficult for you to find good posture (they nearly always do, unfortunately ).
For example, padottanasana is often done badly, with the knees hyper-extended or with internal rotation. You will often see student's feet turn out, less often inwards. They do this to achieve incorrect posture, which means they can get their head through their legs, but will also serve to damage the knee or patello-femoral joints. And their spines, and potentially a few other joints as well.

I think you may have to re-think your foot placement, because it is impossible to work the knees and hips effectively if foot position is faulty. Perhaps work at home, go through all the standing postures, and spend some time working out the best foot placement. Then develop the ability to place the feet without looking. Eventually you should be able to do this with your eyes closed.

Take care
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-08 10:29 AM (#66624 - in reply to #66599)

Nick,
Out of curiousity, where are the feet supposed to be in padottanasana? I've always been told to turn my feet inwards slighty.. sounds like this may be wrong??
riftweaver
Posted 2006-10-08 10:41 AM (#66625 - in reply to #66599)

Knees and yoga, the whole reason I started my practice.

I find that when I do standing poses which have one leg extended where the knee is supposed to align in the same direction of the feed -- such as Triangle or Vira II -- I feel that it is physically impossilble for my feet and knee to perfectly align. If I place my leg so that the knee is forward, the foot looks slightly turned out. If I turn the foot back to face "properly" forward, then the knee rotates in.

If I am going with the leg that bends, the problem looks to go away with the bend, but as soon as I straighten... there it is!

My opinion is to keep the knee facing forward where it should be, even if the foot must turn out a little, because letting the knee end up rotating inward to try and align with the foot seems quite bad to me!

I'm not sure if this occurs for my general anatomical build, or tight hips that prevent a true external rotation.

Thoughts?

--Jason
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 11:14 AM (#66633 - in reply to #66624)

hi MaryLisa,
This wrong-very wrong!!
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 11:22 AM (#66634 - in reply to #66625)

Hi Jason,
It sounds to me like you might be hyper-extending your knee-try bending the knee a little, stick the ball of the foot to the floor (squeeze the floor a bit-the feldenkrais foot), and then extend the knee. When people let their knees hyper-extend, they cannot keep the foot position-typically, most of the weight is on the outside of the heel. Because the weight is on the outside of the heel, you sometimes then see the foot point out as it pivots on the heel. Another reason this happens is because people do not externally rotate the hip , and so the femur turns to face inwards, resulting in the internally rotated knee of which you speak.
So basically, what you do is fix the foot, and then tighten the muscles of the hips, so that the knee and kneecap are both facing the same direction. A much stronger movement!

Nick

Posted 2006-10-08 11:58 AM (#66637 - in reply to #66625)

Two very interesting items in this thread of which the second is quoted below and I will mention it in a minute. The first is a point within Nick's second reply (the more full bodied one above). And that is that an alignment in a standing pose is not necessarily to be carried over to our gait (the way we stride). I think this is a pretty important distinction about stable asana versus bipedal mobility.

The second item is the action, not the movement, but the action of the pose. Riftweaver brings it right to center stage. So I'm just going to give a very very simple, over simplified, incredibly simple and not fully developed response here (get it?).

Assume tadasana. Assume an iyengar style jumping of the feet apart (and still parallel) for trikon.
Externally rotate the LEG (not the foot) until it has gone to 90º.

Once at 90º then plant the foot. Bend the knee slightly and work the "pointing of the knee" in the same direction as the second toe by using the thigh and hip muscles. This is the action. It's perfectly normal to feel a sense of dichotomy or duality in the pose. Imagine your foot nailed to the floor and then the action of that leg as a corkscrew working energetically in a counterclockwise sense (while the back leg works in a clockwise sense).

Of course the foot may want to turn out too. But this is the juice of the pose.

riftweaver - 2006-10-08 7:41 AM

Knees and yoga, the whole reason I started my practice.

I find that when I do standing poses which have one leg extended where the knee is supposed to align in the same direction of the feed -- such as Triangle or Vira II -- I feel that it is physically impossilble for my feet and knee to perfectly align. If I place my leg so that the knee is forward, the foot looks slightly turned out. If I turn the foot back to face "properly" forward, then the knee rotates in.

If I am going with the leg that bends, the problem looks to go away with the bend, but as soon as I straighten... there it is!

My opinion is to keep the knee facing forward where it should be, even if the foot must turn out a little, because letting the knee end up rotating inward to try and align with the foot seems quite bad to me!

I'm not sure if this occurs for my general anatomical build, or tight hips that prevent a true external rotation.

Thoughts?

--Jason

Edited by purnayoga 2006-10-08 11:59 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-10-08 12:40 PM (#66639 - in reply to #66637)

Expert Yogi

Great conversation here. Some things that came to mind as reading - and these may be only variations on what others have said - I am bleary-eyed from attending both a ballroom dance and a club gig of my son's last night and also a little turkey sedated

- "parallel" feet were puzzling to me for quite some time as I have a wide, non-symetrical (as most are) forefoot and there didn't seem to be any way to find parallel. The best instruction I came across and the one I use the most frequently now is to draw an imaginary line from between the 2nd and 3rd toe and have it come directly out the center of the back of the heel.

- once that is acheived all the other wild and wonderful oddities of the student's legs are exposed! For me, whose knock knees originate from the hip, it made my knee caps smack right into each other.

- I like purna's thoughts about asana and functional working of the body being entirely different creatures. If the asana positions were completlely comfortable and natural to our bodies we wouldn't need to practice them! And we would not make many gains in finding the alignment where the energy and prana can flow clearly.
fechter03
Posted 2006-10-08 1:58 PM (#66646 - in reply to #66639)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-10-08 12:40 PM
- once that is acheived all the other wild and wonderful oddities of the student's legs are exposed! For me, whose knock knees originate from the hip, it made my knee caps smack right into each other.

this is exactly what's happening. when i stand in tadasana and begin a squat into utkatasana, i can feel my knees coming together and eventually colliding before i even get deep down into the squat,i.e. the feet and lines of the knees aren't in the same plane.

in backbends, i can feel my knees coming together as well and there is a lot of resistance when trying to raise my body off the ground, and when i "power" into the postures, i really feel a scrunching in the lower back. when i allow my feet to flare slightly (not much, maybe 5-10 degrees) there is no more lower back crunching.

so, next question is: is it possible to be doing something wrong and feel no pain and also be doing something right and feel pain??

and thanks for the responses,
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 3:19 PM (#66650 - in reply to #66646)

Hi fechter,
It is possible to do something wrong, and feel no pain, at least for a while, but it is unusual to do something right and feel pain-but you may have to modify your practice.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-10-08 11:27 PM (#66676 - in reply to #66646)

Expert Yogi

fech - keep working with utkatasana with your feet hip width apart and parallel. Forget the arms for a bit and keep an eye on your legs. Look in a mirror - yes, they can be useful - to see what is going on with those trim legs of yours.
fechter03
Posted 2006-10-08 11:44 PM (#66679 - in reply to #66676)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-10-08 11:27 PM
Look in a mirror - yes, they can be useful - to see what is going on with those trim legs of yours.

haha, trim is an understatement, but i'll keep that suggestion in mind.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-10-09 5:05 AM (#66688 - in reply to #66679)

I can attest to that!

"The poses, V-III for example, you do not want to hang on the connective tissue (ligaments/tendons) of the supporting leg AND you really don't want to jam your sacro-illiac joint. If that joint gets wonky you will not be a happy camper."

Tourist's foot alignment tip is very interesting as I'm used to instructions with say make the outer edges of the feet parallel,

Fee
Nick
Posted 2006-10-09 7:54 AM (#66693 - in reply to #66688)

Hi Fiona,
And id the outer edges of the feet are parallel, the foot is turned in, resulting in internal rotation at the knee...

Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2006-10-09 9:10 AM (#66698 - in reply to #66693)

Quite :-) Which also probably explains why I find engaging the last 2-3 inches of upper, inner thigh in standing forward bends so difficult.

If I remember, I think I'll slip in a 'how do we ensure parallel feet?" question in class tonight

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-10-09 11:31 AM (#66705 - in reply to #66693)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2006-10-09 4:54 AM

Hi Fiona,
And id the outer edges of the feet are parallel, the foot is turned in, resulting in internal rotation at the knee...

Nick

For most of us. I am not sure it is true for everyone. Again, due to the vagarities of the alignment of legs in general. In the end, I think there is much more to look at here than how the feet are placed. It is a starting point in getting leg alignment and shouldn't be a dogmatic thing never to stray from.
fechter03
Posted 2006-10-09 2:30 PM (#66728 - in reply to #66705)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-10-09 11:31 AM

Nick - 2006-10-09 4:54 AM

Hi Fiona,

Nick

For most of us. I am not sure it is true for everyone. Again, due to the vagarities of the alignment of legs in general. In the end, I think there is much more to look at here than how the feet are placed. It is a starting point in getting leg alignment and shouldn't be a dogmatic thing never to stray from.

and happy thanksgiving too, glenda, ;)
tourist
Posted 2006-10-09 5:26 PM (#66735 - in reply to #66728)

Expert Yogi

Fechter - Lots of turkey left and stuffing that was cooked inside a pumpkin! Come on over and help me finish it up.
kristi
Posted 2006-10-11 2:48 PM (#66864 - in reply to #66599)

Veteran

Great conversation, very useful to read!

I also had some “trouble” with the parallel feet in tadasana when I started hatha yoga. Also because of a background I had in classical ballet, which I had been doing since I was a small child.

In the basic standing posture of classical ballet, the so-called “first position” (we could call it the “tadasana” of ballet) only the heals should be touching each other and the feet must be open as widely as possible in opposite directions. The same turning-out of the feet & the legs is done in all the ballet standing postures. The knees and thighs MUST always be “following” the feet in terms of position and of direction and this is one of the main “safety instructions” also in classical ballet. I have been exercising like that since I was a small child and so I was totally used, when practicing, to place my feet “ballet-wise”, which I had to change when I started Iyengar yoga. I never had any injury in any of the two cases.

My own observation on tadasana and on forward bends (the observation only of a 3-year beginner in yoga), is that when feet are parallel you can better feel the “connection” of each of the 5 toes to the upper legs, the pelvic joints, the lower back (!) and the whole body and that you can more easily and “naturally” distribute your weight equally in all the 5 toes (and heels) so as to have a correct and mainly a safe posture.
kr
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-11 6:14 PM (#66905 - in reply to #66599)

When I was a cool pret-teen in the 80s ( ), my mom noted that I walked like a duck- with my feet turned out. Ever since then, I have tried to correct my walking by pointing my feet fowards- it's taken me the better part of 20 years to get to where I am today, but it is more comfortable now than the other way. Imagine a clock and pointing forwards is 12 o'clock. When my mom said something, my feet pointed towards 10 and 2.. now, they are more like 12:03 and 11:57 so much better.
I have this kid who works for me whose feet are constantly at more than 10 and 2! Almost 9 and 3! He looks like he can't even walk.. but he does.. the thought of putting his feet together is unthinkable- we were slow one night at the restaurant and were all talking about feet....
fechter03
Posted 2006-10-11 6:59 PM (#66914 - in reply to #66735)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-10-09 5:26 PM

Fechter - Lots of turkey left and stuffing that was cooked inside a pumpkin! Come on over and help me finish it up.

actually i'm only one province over now, ;)
Nick
Posted 2006-10-12 3:11 AM (#66935 - in reply to #66905)

Hi MaryLisa,
Hate to be negative, and no disrespect to your mum, but she shouldn't have made you turn your feet to face forwards. The decisions over your gait should have been left to a specialist-like I said on this thread earlier (I think ), the feet should turn out when we walk. It seems that parents have a habit of trying to correct their child's walking in this way-I've met a few-and it may be because of my interests, but these people have musculoskeletal problems-it's just a feeling and unproveable, but I think things may have turned out differently if their parents had not tried to change the child's gait. I can look at yoga postures and usually make corrections which improve the performance and health benefits for the student. There are things that I can do to the walking pattern-encouraging arm swing, looking straight ahead, etc, but encouraging the foot to face forwards? That's a job for someone who knows about orthotics. You do not attempt it by re-arranging the person's bones!! Having said that, hope it has not had any negative consequences. And the rest of us-loving parents, do not mend a child which ain't broke!!

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)