YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NEED FROM AN EXPERT YOGI
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

abosmia
Posted 2006-10-05 5:58 PM (#66387)
Subject: NEED FROM AN EXPERT YOGI

I am a teenager, and I am unsure of what my problem is exactly. Let me give a bit of my background. My father passed away when I was 12, my mother went through a major depression and she occasionally ruminates. I do not have a group of friends that I spend time with. Whenever I am in a social setting, whether it be one other person or an entire crowd, my body shuts down. I lose confidence, look down, feel very insecure, and I cut off the communication with the other person. It's not that I don't like the person, I feel like I am unable to be a friend towards people. Therefore, my relationship with my girlfriend is failing because I cannot enjoy my time with her and show love and compassion towards her. I have had some suicidal thoughts, I have taken medication for two days then stopped, and I am currently seeing a psychiatrist. I think I have a low self esteem. One day I will be feeling confident, but then I always end up where I started. I have even been practicing ANAPANA for about a year. I have not shown any improvements in my behavior.

If you are an experienced meditator, please enlighten me with your kind words of advise.

MUCH METTA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-10-05 7:14 PM (#66395 - in reply to #66387)
Subject: RE: NEED FROM AN EXPERT YOGI

Arpan,

A revealing first post my friend.
I'm not an "expert yogi".
I'd venture to say none of our board members would claim such a thing.
Many though are in a position to reply to your inquiry.

What is it though that you are asking?
What are you hoping for from the post?

From what you describe it does sound like a self-esteem issue. And it's appropriate that you are seeking treatment and looking more deeply. There are many facets to depressiion and self esteem issues. Meditation is a wonderful tool. The question is whether your situation calls for the tool of meditation. I'm not suggesting you stop meditating (yet). But it is possible to "go away" in what some call meditation.

Tell me...
Do you have an asana practice?

What is your current diet like?

Tell us about your lifestyle?

These things will help determine in what ways a yoga practice can assist your body's own healing mechanisms. I look forwrd to your reply and our continuing dialogue.

namaste.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-10-05 7:15 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-05 9:12 PM (#66403 - in reply to #66387)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2006-10-05 7:14 PM

I'm not an "expert yogi".
I'd venture to say none of our board members would claim such a thing.

Speak for yourself Purna...I worked hard on my typing skills to get to my "elite" position,

Arpan,

Sounds to me like you could use a friend and a good therapist. Do you have a counselor at your school or in your area that you can talk to about your feelings?? I think its very important for you to sit down and have someone listen to you. Usually when a person is having low self esteem it is because they may feel like they are not important in this world, lonely, or because like you said, you don't know how to receive love or give love back and you are not consistent on the days that you do feel good about yourself. Yoga is a tool that can help you, but you got to do some work too. Having someone to confide in is very important so that you can learn how to interact with others.

Breathing exercises can also be really beneficial and helpful. I would suggest after you talk to a counselor, try finding a yoga instructor that can help you learn some simple Pranayama exercises. If that is not possible, Barnes and Noble has a very nice simple yoga book by Christina Brown, called "Ten minute Yoga". For less than $10 you can get a basic book about yoga and can learn some basic asanas, meditation and pranayama exercises. I think a yoga instructor would be the best route to take and also getting help with a counselor is really important.

My son, who is now 21, spent years with a counselor since he was 9 years old, just to spend time learning about himself and how to interact with his peers and family. He too grew up without a Father and was constantly in conflict with that issue. Mostly, because he did not have a Father to teach him the important life skills. The good news is that he had other role models in his life, other than his Father. He has a Grandfather that stepped in and took him under his wing when he got much older. It really helped him alot to have an person who was objective and who could help him along his journey. His counselor and Grandfather were the 2 main people who influenced him. Although, I did too, I was simply "Mom". I think you could really benefit from that as well. Finding the right person is going to be your job. I would start with the school counselor because they have outside resources available at little or no cost to you.

and Arpan,

Just remember, no matter what you may feel...you are loved and you are important in this world. We all have a purpose and a reason for being here. I wish you all the best in finding yourself. Don't hesitate to ask or talk to some of the members here, we've all been there too. Take care,

Cyndi

Edited by Cyndi 2006-10-05 9:19 PM
abosmia
Posted 2006-10-05 9:49 PM (#66405 - in reply to #66395)

Cindy,
You wished to know what my lifestyle is like. Well, most of my day is occupied with school. I am doing very well in school. I usually play tennis afterschool with an upperclass men thrice during a week. When i get home, I have a light snack. Then, I get straight to my homework. I practice Anapana for half an hour at night daily. However, I have been unable to practice the past two weeks because I have been up so late doing homework. I go to a hindu temple on sundays, in which i attend a religion class. The people there are very intellectual and nice. On the weekends, I usually spend my time reading spiritual books. Right now, i am reading "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm. I have never practicied yoga before, only Anapana. I plan to attend a 10 day Vipassana course this winter break, If i am allowed to go.

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-05 10:23 PM (#66406 - in reply to #66405)

abosmia - 2006-10-05 9:49 PM

Cindy,
You wished to know what my lifestyle is like. Well, most of my day is occupied with school. I am doing very well in school. I usually play tennis afterschool with an upperclass men thrice during a week. When i get home, I have a light snack. Then, I get straight to my homework. I practice Anapana for half an hour at night daily. However, I have been unable to practice the past two weeks because I have been up so late doing homework. I go to a hindu temple on sundays, in which i attend a religion class. The people there are very intellectual and nice. On the weekends, I usually spend my time reading spiritual books. Right now, i am reading "Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm. I have never practicied yoga before, only Anapana. I plan to attend a 10 day Vipassana course this winter break, If i am allowed to go.

This is what I suggest you do for next 3 months almost each day. You should do the following as a Yoga Practice, that is without missing it.

1. Make 3 to 4 different friends from your temple. And, have 3 times chai and gossip with them. Do not talk about your problem. And, do not do intellectual discussion. Just gossip and spend time. This should amount to around 1 hour a day in different small periods.

2. Spend minimum 1 hour of time each day with your girl friend. Out of this 30 min should be gossiping. Other 30 min can be just sitting with her. Or, watching a nice TV program, etc. Preferably, humorous program. Also, during the gossip, you should walk with her hand in hand in some cool areas, such as woods. If possible, you should also kiss her once a day. Do not think. Just do it.

3. And, you should stop your current meditation and learn a simple meditation from an experienced teacher.

4. And, you should watch one movie per week with your girl friend. When she is not available, with another friend of some kind.

Best Luck.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-05 10:37 PM (#66408 - in reply to #66387)

Oops. One more, and the most important:

5. Each day, or at least each week, you should do something totally for the benefit of your friends or society. It can be anything whatsoever. It must amount to at least 1 hour a week.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-05 11:32 PM (#66413 - in reply to #66405)

Expert Yogi

Arpan,

Looks like you got a great prescription. As for asking about your lifestyle, that was Purna, not me requesting that information. Your life description sounds very familiar though....my son had that same schedule, I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like you are well supported in the temple, I hope your allowed to do your Vipassana course. For now, I would definitely heed Neel's advice and simply just be. From your original post, I was kinda worried. Suicide is really not a good option and you don't need to go there. If I can offer you something else....always remember, sometimes when we think our life and situation is bad, if we take a look at others, it ain't so bad afterall. We just get wrapped up in the BS and it has a way of trying to devour and consume us, if we let it. Take care,

Posted 2006-10-06 2:53 AM (#66420 - in reply to #66405)

I am sure Cindy and I will (actually) agree that she is not me and I am not she.

How did you arrive as anapana as a practice? What is it about this practice that you find rewarding? Obviously you are into it as you mention a vipassana course.

abosmia - 2006-10-05 6:49 PM

Cindy,

abosmia
Posted 2006-10-06 4:49 PM (#66493 - in reply to #66387)

Well, I hope to become more relaxed in situations practicing the Anapana. It has slightly helped. I don't have as much tension, but a majority of it still remains. I want to get to a point where I don't think about my actions. I just do it. Not in a negative sense. I don't want to have anxiety during casual social situations. That is my goal, along with bolstering my self confidence and creating a positive self image.
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-07 8:41 PM (#66595 - in reply to #66387)

I used to be very nervous in social situations. I, too, had low self-esteem that hindered my interactions with others. First of all, don't be too hard on yourself- you're a teenager and most that I know (knew, including myself) had a difficulties similar to yours. Remember that suicide isn't an escape- it's a cop-out. There is always a better answer. For me, that answer didn't come until college. I was a French major and I studied abroad for a summer in France. Our teacher used only French- which was cool for us because we were in an immersion program back here in the states. BUT, to develop our listening skills, we had to listen to a tape in class, memorize it, and perform the skit in front of the whole class (with no script!) We all messed it up so bad, it was hilarious.. we all were silly up in front of the class and ended up having fun with it. That ended my fear and nervousness in front of others. Something about screwing up with a group of people eased all of our fears.... same went for a dance class I took with a friend this summer. It was bellydancing and we felt a little silly as beginners trying to learn the moves- but it wasn't just me.. we were all in the same boat.. so the whole class giggled along together- by the end, we weren't half bad!

I'd back off the heavy reading and meditation just a little.... sometimes it's easy to get so bogged down in deep, spiritual, philosophical thinking that it's easy to get so serious and to forget to laugh. I always follow a heavy book with a fun novel or a stack of magazines. I call these my brain candy. Something to relax my brain a little.
Check out a funny movie.. and I think Neel has some great advice there!!
Hang in there and good luck! This forum is full of great people (at least, as far as I can tell!)
tourist
Posted 2006-10-07 9:43 PM (#66597 - in reply to #66595)

Expert Yogi

Good advice marylisa. It is easy to get so enveloped in school and work and serious things that when we have an emotional problem we also approach it in an intense intellectual "I must fix this" way, when maybe the most important thing to do is laugh at ourselves a bit. And I agree about the dancing. I have rarely laughed as hard as when we were learning ballroom dance.
abosmia
Posted 2006-10-09 6:44 PM (#66745 - in reply to #66387)

hello everyone,

I have attempted the advice you gave me about talking with my girlfriend and gossipping and so on. On friday, I felt very confident and I followed through your advice. But when I saw my girlfriend on saturday, I honestly tried to muster up my confidence, but my anxiety got the better hand of me. ever since saturday, I have not followed your advice. I know I have to do this everyday, so everything I have done so far is not helping me because I have missed a couple days. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow, so I will try to talk with her and find the strength to restart this yoga practice.

Thank you for all of your help and kindness,

Love,
Arpan
SCThornley
Posted 2006-10-09 10:06 PM (#66749 - in reply to #66387)

A little bit that helped me through some rough spots

Tough times come to pass, they don't come to stay.

Life is made of little things so learn to appreciate those little things, learn to laugh the little laugh, learn to see the little smile, and the little flower, and the little birds, feed the birds, and the flower, and the smile, and the laughter--these are some of the strongest building blocks of life....Take the time to go and listen to the ocean, I still remember the sound of the rolling crashing waves, the smell of the sea air, the birds, the fishermen, the sand, the water, the bugs.....Go to the mountains and watch the weather change from afar, watch the hawks fly together playfully....Go to the market and watch people, watch their interesting little habits, they're like you and me.

Sometimes you have a bad day, and that's all it is, 'a bad day', the next one can be much better, just give yourself a break and wait out the bad day, because tomorrow is another day.
and it might be a better day, just a little

HEY, TAKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND FOR A WALK IN THE PARK, AND ON A NATURE TRAIL, AND NEXT TO A CREEK AND NEXT TO THE OCEAN AND NEXT TO THE RIVER, AND SIT UNDER A TREE WITH HER....YOU DON'T HAVE TO TALK, YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF LISTENING....
JUST TELL HER YOU WANT TO TAKE HER ON A WALK AND GO!

GRAB HER BY THE HAND AND TAKE HER WITH YOU ON A little journey and make another building block memory

Edited by SCThornley 2006-10-09 10:10 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-09 10:07 PM (#66750 - in reply to #66745)

abosmia - 2006-10-09 6:44 PM

hello everyone,

I have attempted the advice you gave me about talking with my girlfriend and gossipping and so on. On friday, I felt very confident and I followed through your advice. But when I saw my girlfriend on saturday, I honestly tried to muster up my confidence, but my anxiety got the better hand of me. ever since saturday, I have not followed your advice. I know I have to do this everyday, so everything I have done so far is not helping me because I have missed a couple days. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow, so I will try to talk with her and find the strength to restart this yoga practice.

Thank you for all of your help and kindness,

Love,
Arpan

Dear Arpan: I do not know whether your girlfriend understands you and still truely loves you. I am assuming both to be true. Now, I am not worried if you talk with her every day or not. Just spend time with her and also give her hugs and also kiss her each day. And, tell her ahead of time, that when you do not do these things with her on any day, she should take the lead and do them. And, do this mechanically.

Also, do all other things which I wrote mechanically. Do not analyse. Do this for at least 2 months each day.

Best luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)