YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the mat as a prop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2006-10-02 2:12 PM (#66013)
Subject: the mat as a prop

I have just finished my class and as a change my teacher asked us all to practise without our mats today.

I have always recognised the benefits of props such as blocks, belts and chairs when working with particular asanas, though had not realised how much my practise was dependent on my sticky mat!! I had never really thought of the mat as a prop. Working without it for a session really helped to highlight some fundamental issues in my practise, especially grounding the back leg in my standing postures.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-10-02 11:44 PM (#66037 - in reply to #66013)
Subject: RE: the mat as a prop

Expert Yogi

Yep. It is true

Posted 2006-10-03 12:32 AM (#66040 - in reply to #66013)

I'm not even sure most people who DO use them realize the creativity and versatility they offer.
Roll a thin one up and place it on the floor, lay on it and you've got a prop to help move the spine into the body. Pick up the same roll, bend it over the end of a horse (wooden) and you've got the setup for a deep psoas release.

Take an old mat and cut it up for remnant and use it to stabilize blocks, chair legs, rods. A mat is an amazing piece of yoga hardware.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-03 9:20 AM (#66066 - in reply to #66013)

jonnie - 2006-10-02 2:12 PM

I have just finished my class and as a change my teacher asked us all to practise without our mats today.

I have always recognised the benefits of props such as blocks, belts and chairs when working with particular asanas, though had not realised how much my practise was dependent on my sticky mat!! I had never really thought of the mat as a prop. Working without it for a session really helped to highlight some fundamental issues in my practise, especially grounding the back leg in my standing postures.

On one hand, what you say is true. However, on the other, you must have a mat if the floor is slippery.

Posted 2006-10-03 8:14 PM (#66139 - in reply to #66013)

Of course, Gurudev, the slippery slope must be matted.
But the Sauchic floor needs no mat, eh?

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-03 9:44 PM (#66150 - in reply to #66139)

purnayoga - 2006-10-03 8:14 PM

Of course, Gurudev, the slippery slope must be matted.
But the Sauchic floor needs no mat, eh?

Yup, Purnanandaji. Mat is useful in some case, not so useful in other cases, useless in some cases and obstruction in some cases. For example, mat is totally obstructive in Ashtanga Yoga Style Yoga Exercise.

kristi
Posted 2006-10-05 5:48 PM (#66385 - in reply to #66013)

Veteran

Whenever I do the standing postures without a mat and on a sleepery floor, first of all I feel that my feet will sleep away and trying to avoid this, I then feel that some other muscles of the feet that were "asleap" have "worked".?
Kr
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-05 6:02 PM (#66388 - in reply to #66013)

My husband steals my old mats to use as cushioning and stability for various projects- most recently to put his reef tank on the stand- the mats cushion it and keeps it from slipping- he can also cut it to fit...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)