YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agave nectar
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

redrox
Posted 2006-09-28 4:10 PM (#65657)
Subject: Agave nectar

Anyone buy or use this for sweetening applications?

Currently on sale at my local healthier foods outlet and thought I might give it a try.

Info here: http://www.madhavahoney.com/agave.htm

I like that it is lower in GI than honey or maple syrup. But thought I had heard some negative things about too much fructose in a diet. As always, thoughts and comments welcome!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-10-01 10:39 AM (#65884 - in reply to #65657)
Subject: RE: Agave nectar

it's a good sweetener overall, and natural of course, but it shouldn't be over used. As with honey or maple syrup or any kind of sugar, it should be limited in it's use.
redrox
Posted 2006-10-01 12:00 PM (#65896 - in reply to #65657)

No worries there for me zoebird, but it's a good qualification in general. About the only thing I add sweeteners to anymore is my oatmeal a few times a week. The agave wasn't as good in that as my beloved maple syrup though. I could see using it in teas, but those I generally have plain now anyway.

I have to eat pretty low glycemically to keep my insulin resistance and weight under control. Even those wonderful recipes for the pumpkin and muscatel pudding and the butternut custard, as delicious and yummy as they sounded are not really things I could eat except on special occasions. Winter squashes in general are much higher on they glycemic scale and that butternut custard added over another cup of sugar to an already fairly high glycemic food in the squash. yikes! I've just come to prefer the natural sweetness in many foods and rarely feel the need to add any additional sweeteners to anything. Dried apricots are pretty much my new candy!

Edited by redrox 2006-10-01 12:02 PM
pamela
Posted 2006-10-02 7:50 AM (#65969 - in reply to #65896)

Hi RedRox,

You can help minimize the impact of the extra carbs from the agave by adding some fat (almonds, pecans) to your oatmeal and by adding a bit of protein (either alongside or in the oatmeal).

Anytime you have carbs, you can balance them out with lean protein and good fats to prevent huge insulin spikes.

I personally like to use stevia, as it doesn't cause the same insulin response. It is a little bland, though... you could try a bit of stevia for the sweet then add just a drop of maple syrup for the fragrance and flavor.

Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction, Colorado
SCThornley
Posted 2006-10-02 10:48 AM (#65987 - in reply to #65657)

It's sweet

but

I prefer honey in my morning oatmeal.

I also like to grind and add flaxseeds to my oatmeal, it's really good to taste and I've read that the Omega fatty acids in flaxseeds are good for you.

Flaxseed is supposed to be a good source of Omegas and I don't eat fish.
joscmt1
Posted 2006-10-02 10:58 AM (#65989 - in reply to #65657)

my feeling is that it is still a sugar and should be used sparingly. What about a little pureed fresh fruit to sweeten it up? I like to use a chopped up apple in my breakfast- I use gala (easy to find, pretty sweet, but not too sweet).. and then I don't need any added sugar
redrox
Posted 2006-10-02 11:33 AM (#65991 - in reply to #65969)

Pamela: Yup, the four recognized "sugar stoppers" of fats, protein, fiber and acids, all can help to slow the absorption of either natural or added sugars or any other carbohydrate source for that matter. I often add some natural PB or just some nuts or even a little Smart Balance and will often have an egg alongside as well specifically for these reasons. I'm not a big stevia fan. Just don't like the aftertaste very much. Others say they notice no aftertaste, so I think it might just be a personal taste thing. I have good friends in Palisade btw. Haven't been out that way in awhile though. Do you teach out there anywhere? Always looking for a new yoga experience when I travel!

SCT: I used to add flaxmeal to both my oatmeal and to my cold cereals, but now just add it to the cold cereal. I didn't like the change in texture in the oatmeal too much. Made it kind of pastey and more "cement-like" for some reason. It's good stuff though. I throw it in my buckwheat pancake mix too! And I know lots of folks who add it to yogurt and things like that as well. Yes, good source of omega-3 oil (And I do like fish!), lignans (anti-oxidants) phytoestrogens, fiber (soluble and insoluble), protein and other nutrients.

joscmt: Yes, sparingly is a good rule of thumb. I also usually do add some kind of fruit. Currently those wonderful western slope peaches are quite tasty, but strawberries and bananas are good too and yes apples and walnuts are a great traditional flavor too! Even dried apricots cut up into smaller pieces add a good degree of sweetness.
tourist
Posted 2006-10-02 11:50 PM (#66038 - in reply to #65991)

Expert Yogi

red - put some water on a bit of ground flax and you'll see why it gets paste-y. The gel stuff that it creates is often used as egg white substitute for vegans. I find I can throw ground flax on top of hot cereal and it stays nice and crunchy, but not as good cooked in with it.
pamela
Posted 2006-10-03 12:22 AM (#66039 - in reply to #65991)

Hi Redrox,

Ohh, those Palisade peaches are amazing! I forgot that I was missing them

Are you in Colorado, then?

I'll be back in Colorado in a few weeks, and will be teaching in the Grand Junction area in November and December. By the way, does your friend in Palisade know of any places to rent for holding classes?

I just learned that vinegar that inhibits carb absorption. Nice to know it is acids in general.

Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction, Colorado

Posted 2006-10-03 12:43 AM (#66042 - in reply to #65657)

I've used Agave. Not this particular one. I make no claim to be a nutrition expert though my teacher feels nutrition is a critical part of a complete yoga life.

There's some interesting things writen abut honey relative to it already being digested (by the bee obviously) and it's synergy in the human body as a result of that pre-digestion. Some will tell you all sweeteners have identical chemical makeup (molecular). I suppose there are layers of truth here as well.

Refined sugars shuld be avoided. But they are pervasive and I've tried "off' several times. It's in bread now, eek gad! And I guess it's so prolific becasue it's so powerful. Consumers just can't say no to sugar. I'd imagine it can be compared to being a veg. Some people do it and like the taste of meat so they find tastee substitutes. Others don't like the taste of meat at all and do NOT want a similar tasting thing.

If you prefer a weet substitute this can be pretty good. I think Stevia might have a better pathology but it's more challenging to work with. I only add sweeteners to morning hot cereal (which is wheat free) and to the occasional beverage.
redrox
Posted 2006-10-03 11:36 AM (#66077 - in reply to #66038)

tourist: Good tip. Thanks. I might try that next time. I know it absorbs a lot of moisture. I always have to add more milk to my cold cereral halfway through the bowl!

Pamela: Yes, I'm in metro Denver. I don't know if he knows of any place per se. I can send him an email with your link and ask him to contact you if he knows of anything if you like.

purnayoga: You are right, weird sweeteners are everywhere. The bread we like and use which is all whole grains and has an otherwise good nutritional profile still uses high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener and it also does act as a preservative as well. Makes no sense really other than from a cost/profit motive which is important to them, but less so to me! Luckily I'm not a big bread eater anyway. The whole grain blueberry nut bread we get from our local Great Harvest outlet actually uses agave nectar for it's sweetener. Our uses of added sweeteners are pretty similar.
sienaross
Posted 2006-11-06 10:32 PM (#68933 - in reply to #65991)

Dear Redrox,

I also did not care for the stevia aftertaste. I found a couple that aren't bad: Stevita Stevia from the Stevita company out of Arlington, Texas. It's a liquid. They use grapefruit seed extract as the filler and the taste is greatly improved over others I've tried. Another one I recently discovered and like is Stevia Supreme, from the same people. It comes in packets. I just noticed that the latter uses erythritol as its other ingredient. That may explain a recent GI-tract upset I had after using it to abate a sugar crave. Anyway, hope this information is helpful.

Did anybody else see Dr. Oz on Oprah the other day, about an at-home test using Sweet 'n Low to determine whether you're an "under-taster" or "over-taster" or have an average percentage of taste buds on your tongue. Something along the lines of... if a packet of Sweet 'n Low dissolved in six or so ounces of water tastes sweet, you're an unders-taster. Explains why my sister could care less for sweets and I crave 'em.

--Siena in Seattle.
paintsmile
Posted 2006-12-01 12:37 AM (#70640 - in reply to #65657)

I've done a lot of research and have tried every agave out there. I have to say that Volcanic Nectar's agave http://www.volcanicnectar.com is the absolute best out there! Dr. Oz even mentions this brand in his book. I've discovered that the other brands are watered down with things in Mexico. Apparently "pure" in Mexico means pure agave is used in the blend. The Volcanic Nectar website also has a recipe collection of over 300 agave recipes. I haven't tried them all yet, but it has given me a lot of ideas of my own. They have the lowest glycemic index, the lowest calories per serving and the lowest fructose levels. I hope this helps.
john777
Posted 2006-12-30 12:32 AM (#72463 - in reply to #65657)

I really love Agave. It doesn't have an overpowering taste. I love maple syrup too but the taste is strong and not always appropriate. Also it doesn't give me any kind of sugar rush which I can get from too much honey or maple syrup. I use it to make raw chocolate and it's superb for that.

John
Circle of Healers
http://circleofhealers.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)