YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Butternut Custard
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-28 11:36 AM (#65620)
Subject: Butternut Custard

Expert Yogi

Here's my fall recipe contribution as well.....between the steel cut oats, mushroom soup and the butternut, we'll be all set!! This is absolutely wonderful. I used all organic ingredients and YES, this recipe can be cut in half. Just use half of everything. I also baked this in a Corning Deep 2-quart Baking Dish - uncovered.

Butternut Custard

1 Butternut Squash - medium size - steamed and pureed (I used a potato masher because I was lazy and didn't feel like bringing out the blender) - 2 cups, a little more than that is okay, throw it in anyway

2 tsp. Olive Oil Plus 2 teaspoons Butter
1 cup of half and half - diluted with water to 2 cups total
1-1/4 cup Turbinado Sugar - the recipe calls for 2 cups....which was way too much IMO. This was a perfect measurement and can be lowered even more...but not less than 1 cup. This is a SWEET recipe. If you cut the recipe in half....use at least 3/4 cup for the half version.
6 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup fine coconut (this is optional and tasted very good with it). If halving this recipe, use at least 1/2 cup of coconut.

Mix all ingredients well and back at 250 degrees until set. It took almost 2 hours, but was well worth the wait. Also, this is a very easy recipe, just mix and bake. Spray the baking dish with a light coat of Pam cooking spray or equivalent.

If you don't have time for all that....here is a more simpler recipe.

Baked Butternut

Cut the butternut in half and place in a baking dish with 1 inch of water under it. I put mine in face down with seeds and all. (The seeds can be eaten or given to the birds or if you have a parrot - they love this - make sure you COOL them first as you don't want to burn the birds' crop, it can kill them if eaten hot). Bake covered with aluminum foil at 350 degrees, for 30 mins, or until tender. Turn face up, remove seeds. Mix together chopped walnuts or pecans, honey or maple syrup, and a touch of butter. Bake for 15 additional minutes - uncovered. Depending on oven, this could take less time or more....try to get the nut mixture lightly browned - slightly crispy, but don't over cook it. Play around with it. There are so many variations to the toppings.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-09-28 11:41 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-28 11:43 AM (#65622 - in reply to #65620)
Subject: RE: Butternut Custard

all of the recipes look really yummy. i look forward to trying them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)