YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trouble sleeping
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2006-09-26 7:45 PM (#65472)
Subject: Trouble sleeping

Extreme Veteran

Lately I've been having trouble sleeping.  Even when I'm exhausted, once I lay down to go to sleep, I feel wide awake.  And once I do fall asleep, I usually wake up at least once per hour through the night.  I've tried drinking Bedtime Tea made by Yogi tea, and also some gentle stretches and meditations, but nothing is seeming to work.  Any suggestions?  Does anyone know any asanas or sequences that may help to encourage a better sleep?

Thank you!

Samantha

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-26 10:50 PM (#65473 - in reply to #65472)
Subject: RE: Trouble sleeping

samantha77 - 2006-09-26 7:45 PM

Lately I've been having trouble sleeping.  Even when I'm exhausted, once I lay down to go to sleep, I feel wide awake.  And once I do fall asleep, I usually wake up at least once per hour through the night.  I've tried drinking Bedtime Tea made by Yogi tea, and also some gentle stretches and meditations, but nothing is seeming to work.  Any suggestions?  Does anyone know any asanas or sequences that may help to encourage a better sleep?

Thank you!

Samantha

Lately? What does that mean? And, one more. Is there any chance you can take a fairly long vacation far away from your current environment?
susanchain
Posted 2006-09-27 10:06 AM (#65493 - in reply to #65472)

How frequently does it happen? If it is not frequent, don't take it as a serious problem. Practice asanas and meditation everyday as usual, but do not expect anything.
If you feel awake when you try to sleep, don't force yourself to sleep and don't be too anxious.
Do relaxation and the breath practice.
It is not a problem if you don't take it as a problem.
If it is very frequent, think about your living environment, maybe you can find the reason.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-27 10:52 AM (#65499 - in reply to #65472)

Expert Yogi

How old are you Samantha? This happens a lot during perimenopause. Also - don't eat 3 hours before bed, turn off the TV and music. Especially don't be watching the news before bed
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-27 12:18 PM (#65510 - in reply to #65472)

If it persists-and it's not related to stress, overindulgence (of food, alcohol, etc).. talk to your doctor, but you could try melatonin. While my hubby was getting sober, he had a heck of a time falling asleep. Rehab recommended melatonin and it worked like a dream (pun intended ) He would take it about 1/2 before he wanted to fall asleep and he was out.
You can buy it at any health food or vitamin store.
Thank heavens I don't have insomnia anymore. I haven't since I gave up caffeine and sugar. So, that might be a long term option too.

Posted 2006-09-27 3:14 PM (#65533 - in reply to #65472)

We are trying to figure out why your nervous system remains Sympathetic. If you revisit this thread and provide us more details about you and your life we can perhaps take a more pointed aim into the dark abyss of your restlessness.
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-28 7:46 PM (#65677 - in reply to #65472)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks everyone for responding.  Sorry it took me so long to get back here!

The problems sleeping started maybe a month or so ago.  I have been alot busier than in the past which could have something to do with it.  What with planning a wedding, going to school, working full time, buying a car(and stressing about it!) mom and grandma in the hospital etc, I have felt like I have been racing around and not quite keeping up (Kulkarn, a vacation far far away sounds so good right now )  So I am aware that outside influences are most likely affecting my sleep patterns. (Tourist, I'm 28, so I really hope it has nothing to do with menopause)  It just seems like everything I'm doing to try and remedy it is not working.  I've been making sure that I take a little bit of time to myself before bed to unwind, read a little bit, have a cup of tea, and it does relax me, but I'm still having the problem of falling asleep and waking up periodically through the night.  I was thinking of asking my doctor about medication like Lunesta, although I am really wary of any type of sleep medication.

What do you think?

Samantha

tourist
Posted 2006-09-28 8:03 PM (#65681 - in reply to #65677)

Expert Yogi

Samantha - you have too much going on and when that stops you will likely feel better. In the meantime you need to make not just a little time before bed to relax and center yourself but many short moments through the day. One minute of quiet with eyes closed, watching your breath (you may find that you aren't breathing well at all...) will do wonders to calm your brain and nervous system. Try adding one minute time outs, say maybe 5 times per day. That is only 5 minutes. Anybody can find 5 minutes. And if you can't, something is waaaaay wrong and has to change quickly - before your body breaks down!

I am not averse to medications. They are great. And I have used them during stressful periods of my life and they have worked well. BUT one big caution about sleeping meds is that although they claim to be non-addictive, the need for sleep and the desire for a good, restful sleep is so great that it can be mentally really, really difficult to give them up. I find that even on the rare occasion I take antihistamines for allergies I find myself thinking I "need" them long after the need is gone, because I sleep so deeply. Luckily for me, they cause havoc with my stomach so I can't keep taking them!

Take care and have a good night!
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-28 8:09 PM (#65684 - in reply to #65472)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Tourist!  You're right, I should be taking more moments for myself during the day.  I tend to get so caught up in rushing around.  Actually, I have about a 45-60 minute drive to school.  I have been spending that time stressing about the rest of the day, or if I'm going to make it to class on time etc.  That's perfect me time:)  I think I'm going to pick up some audio books and pop them in on the way.

I know what you mean about antihistamines.  I was taking Benadryl a few weeks ago, and for a couple nights I was just passing right out.  I had stopped taking them though because I was afraid of getting 'addicted' to the sleep they let me have!

Samantha

Edited by samantha77 2006-09-28 8:13 PM
kristi
Posted 2006-09-30 5:17 AM (#65781 - in reply to #65472)

Veteran

…”Also - don't eat 3 hours before bed…”
Please tourist let me comment on this very common idea/advice about not eating before going to sleep, with which I don’t very much agree.
My personal experience: I never had in my life any problems with sleeping and I sleep very well, but the only case in which I cannot easily fall asleep in the night is if I have not eaten anything few hours before. Whenever I eat a normal meal, I afterwards need to sleep for a while or for the whole night and let my stomach work in peace (also a “Mediterranean” siesta in the afternoon, when this is practically possible…). My health is perfect and I am fit and so is my husband, who has exactly the same habit and I have discovered also that persons who do the same are like that. Very often people are saying “what ?! You eat dinner just before you go to bed?! This is not healthy!” But I notice that these people do not look that healthy themselves and I am wondering, is this idea/advice maybe (maybe?) a western medicine idea/prejudice or does let’s say also Ayuverda medicine advice something like that?
Because, if you observe the animals, you see that they just eat and then sleep, and when they don’t eat they are just too nervous. I think that animals should be observed on such matters, because they just do what their own instinct/body is “advising” them and I am afraid that in some cases they seem… to know better.
Samantha, I apologize for widening the subject. And although I know it is stressful to someone who has a problem to get oposite advices, I give a small advice also, which may bring some more opinions on this matter, opinions that may help you further (and please don't take me for granted, but check also what others may say on that) : after a stressful day, try to have nice, calmful and enjoyable dinners, with good company and with few glasses of wine and then take a nice book and go to bed... (I would personally not be able to even ... finish the first page )
kr
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-30 8:48 AM (#65795 - in reply to #65781)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kristi,

I can give you a good example of why you should NOT eat before sleeping or lying down. First of all your body's organs are on a time clock. Certain organs are at their peak at various times of the day. For instance, your stomach is at its peak between 10 am and noon. This is the best time to eat. Your liver functions at its peak around 2am. If your stomach is full of food at this time - 2am, it makes the liver work that much harder to function. Not only can this interrupt your sleep, but it can affect your liver, your galbladder and other organs. Although, you may not notiice this while you are young and vibrant, but if patterned into a habit over a period of time, the results may not be seen until you are much older. That is why it is important to establish good eating habits as early in life as possible. Knowing these things about the human body is also a great benefit.

Anyway, NOT eating 3 hours before bedtime is a good example of proper eating habits. It allows your stomach to digest the food, rather than lying in your stomach, waiting for it to be processed the next day. I promise you, if you continue this habit, you will eventually become very obese, which is very unhealthy. This comes from ancient traditonal Chinese medicine as well as Ayurvedic.

Also, you should not get up and run a marathon after eating either. You should wait at least an hour before going on a walk, studying or anything that requires concentration after eating. Of course, this is very difficult for most people, but technically, for the Best of Health, this is preferred. Its a matter of taking the time and disciplining yourself.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-30 10:33 AM (#65810 - in reply to #65781)

Expert Yogi

kristi - one of the reasons I suggested this is because many people find it helpful advice - no great medical or philosophical stuff behind it. It also depends largely on how much and what is eaten - a little bedtime snack is not usually a problem, but most cultures to do eat huge meals then go to sleep for the night. After many years of working with babies and toddlers, I have also come to observe that they sleep much better if they don't fall asleep right after eating. A half hour or so to digest and eliminate makes for more contented sleep, even for those still on all liquid diets. This contradicts all I was led to believe growing up, but I have seen it so frequently that I wish I had known it when my own kids were small. It would have saved me many a sleepless night!
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-30 2:47 PM (#65827 - in reply to #65472)

Extreme Veteran

I have found that I do noeed a couple hours to digest, or it affects my sleep pattern.  I actually just learned in my nutrition class that you're not supposed to lie down right after eating because it affects the way your digestive system works.  Kristi, you made an interesting point though.  Animals do eat and then sleep right away.  My cat does at least.  He'll gobble his food, go into the other room, clean himself and fall asleep.  Boy I wish I could sleep as soundly as he does

Samantha

joscmt1
Posted 2006-09-30 3:06 PM (#65828 - in reply to #65472)

I have to agree with tourist here about the "how much" vs. when.. my food plan requires me to eat my dinner around 5pm- but then since I cook at the restaurant at night and am very active late into the evening, I also have a snack after dinner service around 11 or 11:30pm- I am usually in bed an hour or so after this snack.. and I do just fine- in fact, I've lost 70lbs following this food plan and I do sleep well....
HOWEVER, if I go to sleep right away after eating I have crazy dreams. At CIA (culinary school), we learned that this is termed "enteric stomach"... you're body is working hard at digestion while it is trying to get some rest.. making for a restless sleep..
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-30 5:57 PM (#65838 - in reply to #65677)

samantha77 - 2006-09-28 7:46 PM

Thanks everyone for responding.  Sorry it took me so long to get back here!

The problems sleeping started maybe a month or so ago.  I have been alot busier than in the past which could have something to do with it.  What with planning a wedding, going to school, working full time, buying a car(and stressing about it!) mom and grandma in the hospital etc, I have felt like I have been racing around and not quite keeping up (Kulkarn, a vacation far far away sounds so good right now )  So I am aware that outside influences are most likely affecting my sleep patterns. (Tourist, I'm 28, so I really hope it has nothing to do with menopause)  It just seems like everything I'm doing to try and remedy it is not working.  I've been making sure that I take a little bit of time to myself before bed to unwind, read a little bit, have a cup of tea, and it does relax me, but I'm still having the problem of falling asleep and waking up periodically through the night.  I was thinking of asking my doctor about medication like Lunesta, although I am really wary of any type of sleep medication.

What do you think?

Samantha

You need: a) an immediate break from current routine either for a long time or at least one or two full days a week for several weeks. b) then NOT do anything, including Yoga on those days. c) only goof around on those days, without doing anything special.
pamela
Posted 2006-10-01 12:13 AM (#65856 - in reply to #65677)

Hi Samantha,

Have you considered melatonin? Taking some just before you go to bed can help you sleep quicker and deeper. I've found it in the US in doses as small as 1mg. You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin.

I've had a bit of success just telling myself “go back to sleep” when my sleep is rough, too.

And you can try EFT during the day, when you wake up in the night, or before going to bed to help with sleep. “I deeply and completely accept myself even with these difficulties sleeping” is one set-up phrase you can use. You can learn the basics of EFT for free with a downloadable book at emofree.com. It is basically tapping on acupressure points.

Good luck,
Pamela
Cairns Yoga
Body Movement Therapy

Posted 2006-10-03 12:54 AM (#66044 - in reply to #65677)

Hi Sam,

I've read your additions to this thread. Much better data set. Thank you.
You've said something along the lines of "nothing I do is working" and I think you even intimate you've tried lots fo things. But have you tried to deal with the cause(s).

You HAVE been racing around. And you might try asking for help from those around you. Come to grips with the fact that you, as a resource, are finite. And there is only so much of you to spend. You are currency. And you're going into Samantha Debt. So you need to spend less of you.

I also want to chime in on the 3 hours before bedtime issue.
A more accurate parameter is not to eat large meals within that time frame. Large meals tend to expand the stomach. When we sleep, the muscles of the stomach relax. As a result there's the possibility of what some call potbelly because of the contents of the stomache and the relaxed state of the stomache muscles. It is completely appropriate to have a handful of organic almonds before bedtime. I'm talking about nine not thirty for those of you big-handed folks.

Hey Sam why not try some valerian root tea before you opt for meds. I haven't seen the bulk herb in a while but I suspect you can get it in tea bags at the local health food shack. It should make you very relaxed and deepen your sleep without strong side effect upon waking.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-10-03 12:56 AM
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-03 5:53 PM (#66109 - in reply to #65472)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Neel, Pamela, and Purnayoga.  I've gotten some really great advice here!.  Sunday I took a "me" day.  I slept late, didn't study, said no to my mom when she asked me to go food shopping (although I felt a little guilty)  and went to my Grandmother's house for  a little while.  I feel alot better now.  Purnayoga, I'm going to look into the valerian root that you mentioned.  I've been drinking the Bedtime Tea made by Yogi Tea.

Thanks everyone

Samantha

joscmt
Posted 2006-10-05 9:46 AM (#66303 - in reply to #65472)

I will say it again that melatonin worked wonders for my husband when he was getting sober. They actually gave it to him in rehab (he went to a wholistic medicine rehab- no medications, just dietary changes, vitamins, and supplements). He used it for about 8 months after he came out too. He just had a real problem with getting to sleep and staying asleep.
Also, there is a tea you can get at most Asian markets- it's called Special Relaxing Tea (it's in a green box and has a sleeping woman on it). That also works really well.
As for valerian- finding it in bulk is the best, but the teas taste better- in bulk, it smells like a dirty gym sock. MMMmmmm... maybe it's the smell that knocks you out asleep! Hahhaa... BUT it does work. I have found that kava kava works as well without the smell.
Good luck! My insomnia used to be a b*$#ch.. luckily I haven't had it in over 18 mo.! But I think it's due to many dietary changes for me.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-05 11:57 AM (#66345 - in reply to #66303)

Expert Yogi

Sam,

I thinks it's so much healthier to find the "root cause" without taking various recommended herbs and medications, that may or may not be correct for you. It just keeps you dependent on something else and totally distracted. I think your're smart enough to figure that out and you do have your yoga practice to help you with this discovery. Best wishes and good luck.

Cyndi
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-05 1:37 PM (#66358 - in reply to #65472)

I'd have to agree with Cyndi here, too.. finding out what's behind your insomnia is key. Maybe it's slowing down. Maybe it's making changes in your diet (caffeine, alcohol,etc... ). Maybe it's just a phase your body is in...either way, I wish you all the best.
samantha77
Posted 2006-10-05 5:04 PM (#66382 - in reply to #65472)

Extreme Veteran

I agree that finding the cause of the problem is better than taking something to get to sleep.  For a few days there though, I felt like if I didn't set some sleep than I wasn't going to be able to function.  Fortunately, though, I have been doing better the past few nights.  Venting about it here has helped, and also taking a little break from things this past weekend helped too.  If it weren't for yoga, I would have gone nuts by now!

Thanks everyone,

Samantha

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)