YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Period That Never Ends
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Bee2005
Posted 2006-09-25 4:24 PM (#65350)
Subject: The Period That Never Ends

For some reason my estrogen level is through the roof and I can't stop bleeding. I have been bleeding 3 month now and have tried every birthcontrol imaginable. NOW they put me on testrone and it worked for a little bit but I'm still bleeding.

I'm so misrable and it's making me sick. I'v been really hard on my body these past 4 month because of a breack up, job loss, and spending a week homeless with my son. I'm trying to start over but don't know if it will help my bleeding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-09-25 6:42 PM (#65354 - in reply to #65350)
Subject: RE: The Period That Never Ends

Expert Yogi

Bee - there are yoga sequences for such problems but they are very complicated and the prop setups are quite elaborate. Do you have a yoga teacher who can help you? Here is a page of yoga postures that are helpful during menstruation. It is a very relaxing practice and if nothing else, will help with the stress. Best of luck and let us know how it goes for you.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-25 10:46 PM (#65365 - in reply to #65350)

Bee2005 - 2006-09-25 4:24 PM

For some reason my estrogen level is through the roof and I can't stop bleeding. I have been bleeding 3 month now and have tried every birthcontrol imaginable. NOW they put me on testrone and it worked for a little bit but I'm still bleeding.

I'm so misrable and it's making me sick. I'v been really hard on my body these past 4 month because of a breack up, job loss, and spending a week homeless with my son. I'm trying to start over but don't know if it will help my bleeding.

I am sorry that you have this experience. The solution lies in a) Rest b) Diet.
Nick
Posted 2006-09-26 3:52 AM (#65385 - in reply to #65350)

Hi Bridgette,
Sorry to hear about all the stuff going on-hope you can see the light at the end of the tunnel-I've been through a similiar thing myself, although every case is different, and i'm amazed i'm still alive-never though I'd pull through. So chin up!! Have they found out why your oestogen levels are elevated? I'm presuming you aren't endometriotic?
Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-26 5:47 AM (#65394 - in reply to #65385)

You have my deepest sympathies too. Be re-assured that the number one cause of menstrual irregularities by far, statistically, is stress.

At one point, I bled continuously for 18 months and had two bouts like that, including an embarrassing flooding incident at work! After three sets of investigative surgery the conclusion was 'hormone imbalance of unknown origin' and they fitted me with the Mirena coil. I still have weird cycles but it's been pretty effective for me and no side effects. Things seem to be improving further with my recent weight loss too.

To clarify, is your bleeding associated with all those hormone-based contraceptives or are you being prescribed the contraceptives in order to try and correct a condition?

If it's the former, I'd be tempted to lay off chemical methods all together to allow your body to sort itself out by using mechanical forms of contraception (e.g. cap, coil, condom). Be warned, this may take up to a year and sometimes using chemical contraceptives results in permenant alterations to your cycle, much like having a child can.

As Nick says, if it's the latter, be sure to persist with the medical profession to get to the root cause. At one point, my gynae tried to correct my issue with progesterone tablets that made me swell with water to balloon like proportions and did diddly-squat about the bleeding. The Mirena uses the same synthetic progesterone but it works differently when applied directly and you need a much lower dosage. I lost an inch and a half off both wrists within 2 days of coming off the tablets !!

Most Gynae's say you have to persist with hormonal means of correction for at least 6 months before really knowing if they are going to correct your condition or not by the way.

I hope things resolve well soon and take care of yourself rest and nutrition-wise.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-09-26 5:53 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-26 9:52 AM (#65410 - in reply to #65350)

other than relieving the stress....
have you considered eating more yams and sweet potatoes?

The progestins present in these tubers may benefit the condition.

There are some studies that suggest this conclusion.

If you try it and it works, good.

Couldn't hurt, could it?

Make sure you get enough B-vitamins, these help with nerves.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-09-26 9:54 AM
Bee2005
Posted 2006-09-27 11:53 PM (#65573 - in reply to #65350)

I dunno what its caused by. I did give birth a year ago and had a very problmatic pregenacy because i concived my child before the suggested growth period for a women: (4 years after first period. I had mine after 2) Since then i have been so messed. The docters don't seem to understand. I went in once after bleeding for a long period of time to the ER with an awful flue and during my pelvic exaime the doicter said there was no sign of bleeding however i had JUST pulled oout a bloody tampon not 3 min. before.

I will try the yams. sounds like an intresting request but sweet potatos do sound good right now hehe.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-28 5:32 AM (#65588 - in reply to #65410)

I knew about the yams, SC, but the sweet potatoes are a new one. Given how much I love them, you've given me the perfect excuse :-)

Bee, I can't remember which tribe it was now but the women in one used to eat yams in order to space their pregnancies. Research showed that they contained chemicals that affected ovulation. These were then improved and synthesised by chemists to produce the contraceptive pill.

Have you sought a second opinion medically? It sounds like you may need to find someone with more empathy and patience. Also, next exam, take out your tampon some time before and use a pad so that they can see that you *are* bleeding.

Fee

SCThornley - 2006-09-26 2:52 PM

other than relieving the stress....
have you considered eating more yams and sweet potatoes?

The progestins present in these tubers may benefit the condition.

There are some studies that suggest this conclusion.

If you try it and it works, good.

Couldn't hurt, could it?

Make sure you get enough B-vitamins, these help with nerves.

Edited by Orbilia 2006-09-28 5:36 AM

Posted 2006-09-28 9:53 AM (#65602 - in reply to #65350)

bee:

cut out ALL soy from your diet. soy contains phytoestrogens that can really 'mess with' the reproductive system. you'll have to read ingredients to get rid of things like 'soy lethicin' and related as well as 'soy protien isolate' and what not.

eating a whole foods (real foods--nothing processed) diet is important to healing these sorts of problems. I had a problem that lead to me lactating (producing milk) and loosing my period that was thyroid centered (hypothyroidal) caused by processed foods. When i went to whole foods, i very quickly rebalanced (in a matter of months--2 or 3).

i wish you all the best!
Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-28 10:30 AM (#65608 - in reply to #65602)

Another thing to do when talking to your doctors is to keep a symptom diary as patterns are a useful diagnostic aid.

List
When you bleed
How much
The colour of the blood
Whether there are clots
Whether you are in pain and describe its quality
Whether there is cramping and in what part of your abdomen.

Also include if there are things that may be having an impact, e.g. no sleep, having a cold, not having eaten properly for a couple of days, someone stressing you, and other worries.

Take care,

Fee
pamela
Posted 2006-09-28 10:10 PM (#65691 - in reply to #65573)

Hi Bridgette,

Fee mentioned a diary – you might also add what you eat to that.

Diet has a huge impact on hormones. There is a lot of research supporting the idea that if you control insulin and balance your body's master hormones, “eicosanoids,” you can undo a lot of health problems.

Some of the best ways to do it...
1.Consume moderate amounts of carbohydrates (in every meal) by eating mainly low glycemic fruits and vegetables as your main source of carbodydrates. Eat lots of greens and low glycemic fruits like berries and oranges. In addition to having few carbohydrates, they are loaded with nutrients. Avoid or use sparingly bread, dried fruit, bananas, grains, pastas, potatoes and similar foods. They have a huge glycemic load, which causes spikes in insulin. And aviod sugar, syrup, and the like.
2.Eat low-fat protein with every meal. Good choices are fish, chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, and whey-protein isolate. In general, avoid or use very spaingly red meat, egg yolk, hot-dogs and sausage.
3.Consume good fats with every meal. Almonds (raw or dry roasted), macadamia nuts (raw or dry roasted), and cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil are all good. Avoid “vegetable oil,” canola oil, and deep fried foods.
You can also try adding some molecularly distilled fish oil capsules to your diet.

There are also zone-certified doctors and other health professionals which can help you with a diet that will balance your hormones. You can find a directory of them online at drsears.com.

Best of Luck,

Pamela

Cairns Yoga
Body Movement Therapy

Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-29 5:30 AM (#65714 - in reply to #65691)

*slaps forehead* Of course, AND the diet

Your outline sounds like the healthy diet eating plan I adopted three months ago, except I still eat the pasta, potatoes etc. In addition to the weight loss, it seems to be aiding my IUD in controlling my bleeding judging from what you say. I hadn't thought about the interaction in that way; just thought the general health benefits in not being so fat were what had caused the improvement. Thanks for making me look at my own issue from another viewpoint

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-09-29 5:33 AM
pamela
Posted 2006-09-29 6:16 AM (#65717 - in reply to #65714)

That's awesome, Fee!

Pamela
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)