YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NSOTD Healthy Eating Motivator
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-22 5:51 AM (#65012)
Subject: NSOTD Healthy Eating Motivator

For anyone struggling to stay motivated on their diet, this may prove a useful motivator!

Fee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5367822.stm

Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-22 9:31 AM (#65034 - in reply to #65012)
Subject: RE: NSOTD Healthy Eating Motiv

Whoa.. this is a passionate topic for me- part of the reason for my going back to school..

Unfortunately, this is already happening in America- we are seeing the effects of it in the younger generations.
I have an inner city kid working for me now and have had many other kids in the past- their diets are mainly sugar (soda, candy) and processed foods. I had a few kids in the past who would eat candy bars for breakfast in the car on the way to work (I used to drive them in on Sundays).
I think schooling on how to cook is beneficial- but the problem starts even younger than that. Someone can cook all the healthy food in the world for these kids, but they won't try it because 1. they've never been asked to try something different 2. they don't have exposure to these types of foods. These are families (and I am speaking from the people I have employed and their families- all in all about 20 different families) who live in subsidized housing, use food stamps and don't get options like organic produce or whole grains. They have to use stores that take food stamps and then are even sometimes limited within stores. Now, for me, I was brought up on veggies and beans- I can work wonders on a few dollar's worth of beans....
But sometimes at the restaurant, I'll get these kids to try different foods, and it's such foreign territory for them, they automatically think it's weird and gross- and say so!

So, somehow, education needs to be brought into the homes- to these parents and to the kids. I had one kid a couple of years ago who hadn't had a homecooked meal in over 6 years! It broke my heart- but some of these parents are working 2 jobs to stay afloat- and some of them are deadbeats who don't care or others only work enough hours to keep some money around, but not
enough to lose their welfare assistance.
Then there is this entire population of immigrants who have left what they know in their country, come here and do not really know about American food- but are trying to assimilate- so they eat things like pizza and hamburgers and red bull... and then not only gain a lot of weight but incur gastrointestinal problems.. only to pass the habits onto their kids. Not to mention the kids who are home alone all the time because the parents work three jobs so they can have enough to live on and some to send home. I had one employee who kept complaining that she was gaining a lot of weight- and she was- but at night, at the restaurant she'd eat pizza, braised pork sandwiches, and hamburgers. So I explained to her that she needed to incorporate more vegetables into her diet and more whole foods- she wanted nothing of it. She didn't like veggies in America. She wanted to eat her traditional foods at home and these foods at work. But they do not work together. They are a recipe for weight gain... and this gets translated to their kids. Hondureno food is pretty rich- lot's of grease, cheese, and pastry- coupled with beans, chicken, pork.. but not a lot of vegetables... that mixed with processed American food can only spell disaster..
PHEW... I'm sorry... but there is so much more I could say on this.. I have actually thought about trying to contact the Health Dept and doing some free cooking classes- cooking on a budget-. but the darn gov't (on a local level) is so laissez-faire about everything it'd probably take forever!
Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-22 9:49 AM (#65036 - in reply to #65034)

The whole subject of kids not knowing what a healthy meal is has been a mjor topic in the UK too, especially since one of our TV chefs, Jamie Oliver made a series on it (search the BBC's web-site for more info). He was so sucessful, the government changed their policy and introduced healthy school meals. This term is the first that they've been running and the contractor says take-up is down 20%. Jamie made the point several times during his TV series to show kids very graphically exactly what it was they were eating (you'd not forget the chicken nugget episode in a hurry, trust me!) and to re-educate their parents and dinner ladies too. I really hope the government persists despite the drop as it takes time for people's palettes to get used to something different, especially kids.

Our supermarkets have universally agreed to reduce salt levels in pre-prepared meals. They are deliberately doing this slowly as they told the government that reducing levels to the recommended guidelines overnight would cause uproar in the public due to the dramatic change in flavour. By doing it slowly, they are hoping that folk won't really notice the change taste-wise, just in their overall health.

I hope that they don't take too long over it though as I'm still shocked and a bit disgusted over how many of Sainsbury Supermarket's "healthy eating" meals still have salt and saturated fat levels in "amber" status. Makes you really think about how much worse the regular lines must be!

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-09-22 10:53 AM (#65051 - in reply to #65036)

Expert Yogi

It starts VERY young. I work with one year olds and what I find is that when they are eating "baby food" parents are giving squash and green beans and pure fruit purees, but as soon as they go on to real solid food they switch to very highly processed junk. A lot of them eat only deli-type meats which have a ton of salt and colourings, white, salted crackers, pickles, canned spagetti And my all-time complaint - low fat, sugared "fruit" yogurt which has as much sugar as a candy bar We are seeing a lot more bringing waterinstead of the gallons of juice we used to see but it is scary. And then they wonder why the kids don't sleep well! And no - I will never forget Jamie's chicken nugget episode!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-22 11:54 AM (#65057 - in reply to #65012)

I try to lead by example, because I'm in good shape, and when I explain things verbally to my wife she gets very agressive and argumenative.

My wife is obviously overweight and continues to eat food that she knows is not helping
[she has done every L.A. Weightloss, Jenny Craig, Weightwatchers, going to the gym, walking...It's not made one bit of difference in her bad habits that she refuses to give up].

Kids are not stupid, at least that's what I want to believe, so they see what's going on.

My wife likes chocolate among other things. I believe that if anything could be augmented with chocolate chips she'd do it. She doesn't seem to have treats but maintains a daily ration of treats sometimes every time she eats, something has to be a goody or a little indulgence.

Case in point; growing up I enjoyed banana bread. I thought it was a treat.

My wife makes it with chocolate chips. It's so rich that one piece is almost too much, now I'm a big guy, so that says a lot.

I wish and pray that one day she'll stop teetering on the brink of Diabetes [already diagnosed by family doctor], especially considering our four children can see her dismal display of superflous flesh daily.

Having said that, you must understand that I love my wife, I just wish that whatever the issue is that she has and tries to medicate with food and sloth would come out to the front and be dealt the final blow.

Bad habits that she refuses to let go of:
1)satisfying her sweet fix at every chance
2)satisfying her sloth fix with no less than 2 hours of television a day

She knows what the problem is.

But knowing is not doing.

Without action knowledge is useless.

Alright, now I feel a little better getting that off of my chest.

Over the past five years I made tremendous strides in improving my lot and sometimes I feel like I've left my wife behind, but ultimately the journey is hers to make and I have finally accepted that her burden is not mine to bear and I cannot rack myself with guilt for the failings of others.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-09-22 11:58 AM
joscmt
Posted 2006-09-22 2:26 PM (#65085 - in reply to #65012)

A follow-up to my earlier post- I was in a store today and an employee in front of me was buying her lunch- a 20oz orange colored Mountain Dew, a large container of Cheetos, and a TWIX bar.... what the heck has happened!?!?!?!
Even when I was actively practicing my eating disorder, I still didn't eat like this.. I still ate healthy stuff, I just supplemented with the nasty stuff.....
I'm so happy to not be in that place anymore...
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-22 2:39 PM (#65091 - in reply to #65012)
Subject: RE: NSOTD Healthy Eating Motivator

More ills of modern society.
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-22 7:04 PM (#65122 - in reply to #65012)

Extreme Veteran

I consider myself lucky, because my family owns a farm, and growing up, I had all kinds of fresh vegetables available to me.  I did have some junk, but since I spent time with my Grandfather at the farm, the vegetable growing there became my treats (and now comfort food, since they remind me of him).  So i became programed to enjoy healthy foods.  The same, unfortunately did not happen for one of my cousins who now, at 5'11, weighs 450 lbs.  He eats nothing but junk (Wendy's, McDonalds etc,).  At holidays it is truly disturbing to see how much food he packs away, and knowing it is all the bad stuff.  I'm taking a nutrition class this semester at school, and the more I learn, the more scared I get for him.  As a former waitress, I got to see many peoples' food choices, and I have to agree with the negative outlook on people and their nutrition.  I had one frequent guest that I remember:  He would always order an appetizer platter (meant for four people!)  a Monte Cristo Sandwich with two orders of fries (a battered and deep fried ham turkey and cheese sandwich), and dessert.  He didn't fit into our booths, we had to seat him at a table with two chairs for him to sit in.  What always ticked me off is that he would order a diet coke for a drink  I always wanted to ask him why he would even bother with the diet coke. I also felt bad for him, that he was for some reason doing this to himself.

Samantha

tourist
Posted 2006-09-22 7:36 PM (#65129 - in reply to #65122)

Expert Yogi

The diet coke at the end of the multi burger "snack" always cracks me up

But cheetos are health food! You just have to add a V8 instead of the other stuff
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-22 7:51 PM (#65132 - in reply to #65012)

Only if you eat them with chopsticks, so you don't have to lick your fingers.
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-22 8:00 PM (#65133 - in reply to #65129)

Extreme Veteran

tourist - 2006-09-22 7:36 PM The diet coke at the end of the multi burger "snack" always cracks me up QUOTE]

My mom always used to do that.  She would order a quarter pounder meal from McDonald's with a diet coke.  I always would yell at her to just have the regular coke.  She figured that saving herself the 200 calories from the coke was better than nothing

Samantha

Orbilia
Posted 2006-09-25 6:42 AM (#65301 - in reply to #65133)

As some of you know already, I've been losing weight. I always ate healthily, just too much bad stuff in with the good. Despite my max. weight being over 17 stone at one point, even I couldn't understand how some folk eat nothing but junk food when the good stuff is just as delicious..... ok, ok, so I'm a foodie .

I always choose diet too. Partly due to thinking "why take sugar when you don't have to in addition to the fat in the burger", but also because it didn't leave a thick sugary coating on my teeth like the regular stuff. I guess from your posts, others must find the same thing true?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-09-25 6:43 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)