YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Pondering......
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-19 12:57 PM (#64770)
Subject: More Pondering......

Expert Yogi

A while back I used the following as a signature line. Since the recent talk of yoga conferences and the subjects going on in the teacher thread, I kept being reminded of these words, where I am and where I've been in my own practice. I came back to this quote as it is my absolute favorite one. I found this several years ago in Parabola magazine. I hope ya'll like it, it's an oldie but a goodie,

“Practice has been described by a Tibetan teacher as the wearing out of an old pair of shoes. Wearing the soles thin. Wearing through ego and delusion. You may approach Zen thinking that you are going to become enlightened, become a great teacher and have fantastic powers that people will respect. Doing the practice, you come to realize that you don’t give a dam whether people respect you or not. You really don’t want to be a great teacher. What you want is to be helpful. To be of assistance – a benevolent entity.

~Kobutsu, The Engaged Zen ~

Edited by Cyndi 2006-09-19 1:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-19 1:30 PM (#64775 - in reply to #64770)
Subject: RE: More Pondering......

Very nice, Cyndi, thanks for sharing it. It parallels my experience today. I walked in the kitchen this morning and was dismayed at the chaos the family had left behind. I don't want to send them off in anger, so I walked away to deal with it later. After my practice I went back to the same mess, only in a totally different frame of mind, it seemed the mess was gone in record time. It didn't even feel like a chore.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-19 2:07 PM (#64778 - in reply to #64775)
Subject: RE: More Pondering......

Expert Yogi

Your post reminds me of my daily life too. I had this conversation with my sister today about how she thought I had more time than she. Ha Ha...I just simply choose the things I want to do and when I do choose, I give myself 150% quality to it. For instance, a simple telephone conversation. How many times have you called someone and they brush you off because they are in a hurry, or don't have time for you?? In your mind...your going, "Why did you even pick up or answer your friggin phone if you can't give someone your time". It is nice when you can get beyond all the hoopla, have time for yourself and others (even though they don't appreciate your being authentic!!! ).......

My son (21 yrs old) and his friend who is a girl, but not a girlfried, came home this weekend. They did their thing, I slaved, cooked all their meals, took them on a nice mountain hike and outing, they loved it....the only thing I did have a problem with was when they left on foot, flip flops and short sleeve shirts, one evening at 10:00 P.M.....still no sign at 3:00 A.M. which prompted me to get into my car and ride and around the jungle....yes, I live in the jungle. I thought they got eaten by a bear or something..or the temps were dropping down to very cool which could of meant EXPOSURE!!

Needless to say, they heard me honking my horn while they were playing down on the river in a hay field. I didn't see them and kept driving around to other places. When I finally got home, they were sitting there as if I was crazy or something for leaving at that time of night, Oh well....guess I was just envious of all that energy they got....but still, I had to do my "mom" duty!! I don't care if he's 21 or 31. Good thing my mind is where it is today, because there was a time when I would totally wig out or at least freak out a little bit, about something like that. Guess that's why all my son's friends like to come home with him for the weekend huh??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)