YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fish
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-07 11:59 AM (#63901)
Subject: Fish

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060906/D8JVL5200.html

Yuck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-07 12:43 PM (#63905 - in reply to #63901)
Subject: RE: Fish

sounds like we'll need a multi-level 'call to action' from state DEPs to regional EPA work, a revamping of efficacy standards for various chemicals (waste management), to variations on water management and treatment.

lots of work to be done for clean water!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-07 1:37 PM (#63916 - in reply to #63901)

I've filtered my water since high school.

That's when it dawned on my how water treatment works, right after I toured the local water treatment facility.

I used the money that I'd saved up from mowing lawns.

Charcoal carbon filtering at the very least is an improvement over tap water.

There are a lot of fancy filters out there, some don't even cost that much.

Better to filter your water outside of your body than to use your kidneys and liver to filter the water.

But eating fish, yuck.

They bioaccumulate all of the toxins released into the water.

The idea that food at the bottom of the food chain is less likely to be contaminated is a 'straw man' argument.

Posted 2006-09-07 1:52 PM (#63918 - in reply to #63901)

i filter too.

but i still feel that cleaning the water at the source is probably our best bet.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-07 2:55 PM (#63930 - in reply to #63901)

I grew up fishing and crabbing the Chesapeake Bay.

What's happening today is a big difference than what was happening even 16 years ago.

With all of the development, and all the toilet flushing, the impact is visible.

but...What are you going to, tell people that they can't live where and how they wish and enforce it?

joscmt
Posted 2006-09-08 12:15 AM (#63988 - in reply to #63901)

Don't some fish naturally change sexes? I know that shrimp will. For instance, a female shrimp will become a male once her eggs are fertilized and then switch back to a female after the eggs are hatched.. or something of that nature. They keep switching back and forth with their mate throughout the course of their lives. Now, I believe that most fish make the change once, in the beginning... but I wonder if some of this is that..or if it's directly related to the pollution

Posted 2006-09-08 8:59 AM (#64000 - in reply to #63901)

SCT:

well, there are numerous factors here.

first, there is a thing called zoning. it's been in effect for many years in this country and it is under and often improperly utilized. an aspect of zoning is called 'urban' or 'civil' planning. this is likewise being underutilized or improperly utilized. zoning and civil planning can and does tell people where they can live, tells developers how they can utilize land in certain areas, and so on.

second, there is this issue of waste water treatment and waste management. in this area, growth is so quick and unchecked (improper in many ways), that the sewage treatment can't keep up with the demand, and sewage outflows are more common than say 10 or 15 years ago. better planned growth with the appropriate sewage treatment facilities (infrastructure) would drasticly decrease this problem.

third, there are issues here related to the Clean Water Act and it's enforcement at both the federal and state levels. i worked on a number of cases to this effect in law school. my responsibility was 303(c) cases, essentially sueing the EPA to enforce the CWA. more work needs to be done at both state and federal levels to work on maintaining or developing--as well as enforcing--the CWA standards (which are variable depending upon the body of water, it's use, etc).

fourth, there are technologies that we can utilize that forgo the use of water in waste management in general--both industrial and private. so, at the industrial level, there should be support of some sort (whether that's subsidies or similar) so that the industries can regulate and decrease their own waste production over time. at the private sector, the same can hold true--there can be subsidies or credits given to individuals who move to composting toilets or other forms of waste management (or other forms of 'green living' or reducing home waste). Also, there needs to be social change in regards to this--seeing these technologies as viable alternatives and so on, not just for people with an 'odd ball' lifestyle.

so, there are lots of layers of work that can be done--from the individual/personal to the local civil planning and zoning, working at the larger governmental levels, etc.

and it's not terribly difficult work, but there's a lot to do. you have to stay on top of the city board, the planning commission, etc, as well as the DEP, the EPA--and both state and federal congresses.

easiest way is to get involved with an organization who is already doing this work--by giving funds or by volunteering to help out with campaigns, or simply spreading the word to others--there's always something that we can do.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-08 10:14 AM (#64008 - in reply to #63901)

ZB,

there are things to do, I agree, that the politically weak can do, however, it is the politically powerful land developer and land owners and business developers that create the tomorrow

Most of the Environmental Cleanup dollars are spent in the Courts on Lawyers.

So, infrastructure is not built and Remediation systems are not installed.

I work in the Environmental Industry, I find the dirty dirt, I identify the pollutants, I point the finger at the offenders.

The offenders would rather fight it in courts and get the documents sealed so that no official story can break about how they are polluting.

We, small, politically weak individuals need to be cognizant of the effect of our own actions and our own spending and consuming, but really,
IT'S THE BIG DOGS THAT MAKE THE MOST POOP TO BE CLEANED UP.

Posted 2006-09-08 10:20 AM (#64010 - in reply to #63901)

well, i tend to function at both ends of the spectrum here--from grassroots work to larger work.

change will come, but slowly. i know this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)