YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cycles of practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

lovesmoon
Posted 2006-09-06 1:01 AM (#63726)
Subject: Cycles of practice

I've been practicing at home for about eight years and when it is feasible I take a class. There are always ups and downs in the frequency and duration of my home sessions though. I don't think that demanding more of myself if I'm in an off phase is really helpful though. Just self critical. (On the other hand when I am reluctant and make myself practice I am glad that I did.) I don't think there is a correlation between being inspired by a class so that I practice more often when I'm taking one.

I guess I just get tired of the nagging in my head and wondered what others thought about cycles of hatha/spiritual practice in their lives.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-06 2:34 AM (#63734 - in reply to #63726)
Subject: RE: Cycles of practice

I think one of the larger lessons in Yoga (for me) is discipline. Depending on who you are, how you live, this can be a challenge every day.

Mindfully choosing not to practice becasue it's authentic is one thing. Falling back into samskara is another. And we, as yogis are to look at both. Examine the duality. Okay it seems like this. But perhaps it's that? Hmmm is "that" true? Yes/no. And move forward.

I don't make too many judgements about the cycles of my practice. I do however make many observations.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-06 2:35 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-06 7:20 AM (#63749 - in reply to #63726)

lovesmoon - 2006-09-06 1:01 AM

I've been practicing at home for about eight years and when it is feasible I take a class. There are always ups and downs in the frequency and duration of my home sessions though. I don't think that demanding more of myself if I'm in an off phase is really helpful though. Just self critical. (On the other hand when I am reluctant and make myself practice I am glad that I did.) I don't think there is a correlation between being inspired by a class so that I practice more often when I'm taking one.

I guess I just get tired of the nagging in my head and wondered what others thought about cycles of hatha/spiritual practice in their lives.

I do not know what you meant by Hatha practice. And, why you wrote Hatha/Spiritual practice.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-06 10:30 AM (#63775 - in reply to #63726)

Expert Yogi

LM - I always think that if you have come to the place of observing (as purna says) and asking yourself the questions, you are on your way to learning something about yourself. I don't htink I know anyone in yoga who has not had "downtime" in their practice of one sort or another. If it is used as a tool for learning, you will experience some growth
lovesmoon
Posted 2006-09-06 4:53 PM (#63819 - in reply to #63726)

What I meant by 'hatha/spiritual' is that I practice a mix of asanas at home, though I've become convinced that Iyengar teachers are the best trained and now those are the classes that I attend when I do. I also practice Insight (Vipassana) meditation.

I appreciate the comments about discipline and learning about yourself. IE: If it is just a whim that I don't practice or a feeling that I am scattered and uninspired I should examine this more closely. Also at those times to have the discipline to examine those feelings or behaviours through the frame of practice.
Insight meditation takes that view. You just 'sit' and if you are not concentrated then notice and accept it and keep on sitting. There is no such thing as a good or bad sit. It just is.
I have been advised by meditation teachers not to go to deeply into the thought and look for a source but that will happen by itself when I am more advanced.

Brooke

Edited by lovesmoon 2006-09-06 5:01 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-06 5:07 PM (#63820 - in reply to #63726)

Let me once more understand your query, if you wish to explain. As for Hatha practice, you have no problems. You go to Iyengar Style classes when you want to and also do at home. As for spiritual, you are performing Vipassana meditation and would like to get into deeper state, which is not coming. Correct?
lovesmoon
Posted 2006-09-06 5:54 PM (#63824 - in reply to #63726)

No, and I don't quite understand your confusion.
Well maybe I didn't ask clearly. When you want to cultivate discipline what are some useful approaches?

And does anyone else feel like there are appropriate times to allow yourself some room to let your discipline slide?

B
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-06 10:08 PM (#63844 - in reply to #63824)

lovesmoon - 2006-09-06 5:54 PM

Well maybe I didn't ask clearly. When you want to cultivate discipline what are some useful approaches?
===> a) Approach 1: The best approach if you find the correct teacher, and the worst if you find incorrect one. It is as follows: Obey the teacher 100 percent. b) Approach 2: Evaluate how much discipline you have at the moment. And, also evaluate what all other factors are there which can adversely affect your disciplining yourself. Now, try to discipline yourself slightly more than what you are rather than taking up too much at one time. Follow this for a long time. At the same time, see whether there is any chance of reducing adverse factors. Once you follow this step for a prolonged time, you shall be strong and can make faster progress. c) Approach 3: Hang out mainly with those who are disciplined such as you desire to be.

And does anyone else feel like there are appropriate times to allow yourself some room to let your discipline slide?
===> This will be unnecessary if you follow the above approach.

Best luck

B
Anna Maria
Posted 2006-12-09 11:01 AM (#71421 - in reply to #63824)

lovesmoon - 2006-09-06 3:54 PM

B

Laziness can certainly be a strong voice within me, telling me having a nap might be a better idea than having an asana practice!

My strategy for discipline is
1. set myself a goal: having a yoga practice every day
2. I don't set myself a time limit - I ALLOW myself to have a yoga practice every day, that helps me to be grateful for it and to look forward to it.
3. if I am exhausted from a long day at work or whatever, I acknowledge it, and let myself have a more restorative practice (I treated myself to bolsters, blocks, yoga chairs and LOVE them - props allow me to work on a backbend for example without too much energy)
4. I don't beat myself up, if I miss a practice.

This strategy has been working for me: I probably have a yoga practice on 6 out of 7 days, sometimes only 5 minutes, mostly between 15-30 min, sometimes 1 1/2 hour.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)