YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

where do I begin?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-05 1:27 AM (#63620)
Subject: where do I begin?

Hello all

I'm new here and somewhat new to yoga. Since I'm very carefull with the authenticity of the spiritual disciplines I try to folow, I looked for an authentic form of yoga and Iyengar yoga seems quite good to me _ at least that's the reaction of the overwhelming majority of the people who have some form of contact with it, including my former yoga teacher, who was a buddhist monk.

Anyway, straight to the point: where do I start? I was looking particularly for instructions on how to purify the body, instructions on "self-diagnosis (understanding what asanas and other practices the body and mind needs in that moment) and instructions on stress reduction.

I've read that the book "Light on Yoga" is not for beginers. Is this true?

Thank you in advance

Metta
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-09-05 3:09 AM (#63622 - in reply to #63620)
Subject: RE: where do I begin?

Hi Metta,
Hi there-I reckon LOY is a great book-it might be too much for some beginners, it might even be too much for lifelong practicioners, but it was the first book I learnt yoga from. I reckon it's best to just get it, and then use it a as a resource-its not like you have to memorize it. It has its faults, but then, what book does not?
Nick

Posted 2006-09-06 2:44 AM (#63736 - in reply to #63620)

My personal slant is that Yoga: A Path to Holistic Health is a better all around resource for a fledgling yogi. The book has many uses and serves in a variety of ways.

Instructions you ask about are purifying the body, stress reduction, and "self-diagnosis".
These are very interesting requests and atypical of most beginners.

Each of these are different and yet intertwined.
Purifying the body and reducing stress may depend on the asanas you are doing. And that, for some, may be dependant on what is right for you in that moment.

Are you planning to practice exclusively at home without the guidance of a teacher?
Will you be relying on books, DVD's, or your "inner teacher" for guidance?

My sense is that the cultivation of enough awareness to self-diagnose takes quite a while.
I do think that while varies.
And students need to be careful about what part of them is determining this "what is right for me" as it can be easy for the ego to do thinking. Some do have an authenticity about their inner teacher, their wisdom, their intuition, while others merely cloak their ego in this wrapping and do whatever "feels good".

How about just starting an asana practice and see what comes up?
Letting go of the framework (for now) of how you'll go about it and just go about it.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-06 2:45 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-06 7:14 AM (#63748 - in reply to #63620)

Modus.Ponens - 2006-09-05 1:27 AM

Hello all

I'm new here and somewhat new to yoga. Since I'm very carefull with the authenticity of the spiritual disciplines I try to folow, I looked for an authentic form of yoga and Iyengar yoga seems quite good to me _ at least that's the reaction of the overwhelming majority of the people who have some form of contact with it, including my former yoga teacher, who was a buddhist monk.

===> Your two statements pertaining to 'authenticity of spiritual disciplines' and 'authentic form of Yoga' need further clarification to yourself or to the reader or both.

Anyway, straight to the point: where do I start? I was looking particularly for instructions on how to purify the body, instructions on "self-diagnosis (understanding what asanas and other practices the body and mind needs in that moment) and instructions on stress reduction.

===> Purification of body does NOT happen only by Asana practice. Diet and Rest play more role in that direction. Self-diagnosis term here seems to mean physically here since you are talking about asanas. Stress Reduction also has two different aspects physical and mental. You might clarify this understanding further.

I've read that the book "Light on Yoga" is not for beginers. Is this true?
===> Reading of this book is recommended for one who seriously wants to take up Asana and Pranayama practice, only if they are actually going to perform the practice more than reading. A personal instruction will be better in that case. Also, reading might create inspiration for Asana+Pranayama practice. If you wish to take up other practices, you must refer to relevant source. For example, if you want to learn chanting, it is not there.

Thank you in advance

Metta

Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-06 10:59 AM (#63784 - in reply to #63748)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-06 7:14 AM

===> Your two statements pertaining to 'authenticity of spiritual disciplines' and 'authentic form of Yoga' need further clarification to yourself or to the reader or both.

===> Purification of body does NOT happen only by Asana practice. Diet and Rest play more role in that direction. Self-diagnosis term here seems to mean physically here since you are talking about asanas. Stress Reduction also has two different aspects physical and mental. You might clarify this understanding further.

===> Reading of this book is recommended for one who seriously wants to take up Asana and Pranayama practice, only if they are actually going to perform the practice more than reading. A personal instruction will be better in that case. Also, reading might create inspiration for Asana+Pranayama practice. If you wish to take up other practices, you must refer to relevant source. For example, if you want to learn chanting, it is not there.

Hello kulkarnn

Regarding point:

1- I'm buddhist. For a long time I folowed a school of buddhism that I now know has a lot of aditions to the original teachings of the Buddha, some of them unacceptable. The spiritual traditions/practices (wether buddhism, christianity or yoga) are potentialy subject to aditions and decay from those who propagate them. I have seen a person who have yoga for a year or two and then started giving yoga classes without proper training. Some of these kind of people probably write books and invent new yoga styles. This can be very dangerous for those who practice with them. This is why I'm concerned with authenticity, a true and competent tradition in what it aims for.

2- I suspected that. Vegetarian meals will also contribute, right? I suspect I have a few blocks that I'm not being able to get rid of and I think yoga would be very helpfull in this. This is basically my reason.

3- I intend to practice those instructions.

Metta

PS: Metta means something like loving-kindness. In the buddhist forums, particularly Theravada buddhism forums, it's a very comon thing to end your message wishing the well beings of others. So it's not my real name
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-06 11:05 AM (#63785 - in reply to #63736)

purnayoga - 2006-09-06 2:44 AM

My personal slant is that Yoga: A Path to Holistic Health is a better all around resource for a fledgling yogi. The book has many uses and serves in a variety of ways.

Instructions you ask about are purifying the body, stress reduction, and "self-diagnosis".
These are very interesting requests and atypical of most beginners.

Each of these are different and yet intertwined.
Purifying the body and reducing stress may depend on the asanas you are doing. And that, for some, may be dependant on what is right for you in that moment.

Are you planning to practice exclusively at home without the guidance of a teacher?
Will you be relying on books, DVD's, or your "inner teacher" for guidance?

My sense is that the cultivation of enough awareness to self-diagnose takes quite a while.
I do think that while varies.
And students need to be careful about what part of them is determining this "what is right for me" as it can be easy for the ego to do thinking. Some do have an authenticity about their inner teacher, their wisdom, their intuition, while others merely cloak their ego in this wrapping and do whatever "feels good".

How about just starting an asana practice and see what comes up?
Letting go of the framework (for now) of how you'll go about it and just go about it.

Hi purnayoga

My main spiritual practice is meditation, per se. But, because of the reasons stated above, I feel I need help specificaly from yoga.

I was intending to base my practice in the books and eventualy DVDs. Meanwhile I will practice the instructions I have somewhere in my room, given to me by my ex-yoga-teacher.

Metta
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-06 1:51 PM (#63804 - in reply to #63620)

Dear Modus:
Now I can better respond to your query.

Hello kulkarnn

Regarding point:

1- I'm buddhist. For a long time I folowed a school of buddhism that I now know has a lot of aditions to the original teachings of the Buddha, some of them unacceptable. The spiritual traditions/practices (wether buddhism, christianity or yoga) are potentialy subject to aditions and decay from those who propagate them. I have seen a person who have yoga for a year or two and then started giving yoga classes without proper training. Some of these kind of people probably write books and invent new yoga styles. This can be very dangerous for those who practice with them. This is why I'm concerned with authenticity, a true and competent tradition in what it aims for.
===> You are correct. Therefore, it will be best to refer to original writing if possible. For example, in Yoga the original writings are Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, HathaYogaPradipika, Yogavashishtha. But, these are in Sanskrit. So, you shall need someone who knows Sanskrit very well to explain them. Or, you know someone who learnt from another teacher who knows Sanskrit well. I recommend you: a) HathaYogaPradipika by Swami Vishnudevananda b) Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - my own speeches on Video (see my website www.authenticyoga.org_. And, c) Yoga Sutras of Patanjali - Swami Sachidanada, Yogaville. Once you study these, please ask me for more. I wish you all the best.

2- I suspected that. Vegetarian meals will also contribute, right? I suspect I have a few blocks that I'm not being able to get rid of and I think yoga would be very helpfull in this. This is basically my reason.
===> Vegetarian diet is, in general, superior to non vegetarian. But, only when it is taken fresh, clean, and moderately, and alongwith proper exercise and rest.

===> If you wish to practice the instructions, you must evaluate the material you shall study in relation to what you want to obtain. If you wish to practice Pranayama+Asana, the LOY will be a great reference for you. Better than that will be a class in that particular style. Or, you can combine both. If you wish to practice other things than A&P, you should find suitable other reference.
Metta

PS: Metta means something like loving-kindness. In the buddhist forums, particularly Theravada buddhism forums, it's a very comon thing to end your message wishing the well beings of others. So it's not my real name

=== I like this name.
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-09 12:50 AM (#64078 - in reply to #63804)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-06 1:51 PM
===> If you wish to practice the instructions, you must evaluate the material you shall study in relation to what you want to obtain. If you wish to practice Pranayama+Asana, the LOY will be a great reference for you. Better than that will be a class in that particular style. Or, you can combine both. If you wish to practice other things than A&P, you should find suitable other reference.

How about "Yoga: the Iyengar way"?

Thank you for your answers so far
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-09 1:03 AM (#64080 - in reply to #63620)

And, if I may ask, what are the main methods for purifying oneself?

Peace

Posted 2006-09-10 2:36 PM (#64152 - in reply to #64080)

Well now we're in the land of subjective thought. Main methods? You will get several answers a debate and an argument.

Your motivations for inquiring so dilligently about purification please????
If you withhold it's difficult to direct. In what ways are you toxic?

Broadly speaking medition, asana, pranayama, and diet will contribute greatly to purification. You could also make a case that practicing that which is contained in the yamas and niyamas and scaling the Kleshas would also be necesary. Neel is correct, asana alone will not yield Purification in totality.

While classical yoga does talk about vegetarian diet I have a different take. This take is not one of advocating meat. In fact I'm leaning the other way. But for some it IS appropriate to eat meat. It surely needs to be examined by the eater (looking at duality). SHould I not be eating meat and what does that mean. But it's far better to be a happy joyful meat eater than a bitter, angry vegetarian. Does this make sense to you?
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-10 6:10 PM (#64161 - in reply to #64152)

purnayoga - 2006-09-10 2:36 PM

Well now we're in the land of subjective thought. Main methods? You will get several answers a debate and an argument.

Your motivations for inquiring so dilligently about purification please????
If you withhold it's difficult to direct. In what ways are you toxic?

Broadly speaking medition, asana, pranayama, and diet will contribute greatly to purification. You could also make a case that practicing that which is contained in the yamas and niyamas and scaling the Kleshas would also be necesary. Neel is correct, asana alone will not yield Purification in totality.

While classical yoga does talk about vegetarian diet I have a different take. This take is not one of advocating meat. In fact I'm leaning the other way. But for some it IS appropriate to eat meat. It surely needs to be examined by the eater (looking at duality). SHould I not be eating meat and what does that mean. But it's far better to be a happy joyful meat eater than a bitter, angry vegetarian. Does this make sense to you?

I would prefer to keep some of the reasons private. The reasons include an unbalanced diet, sedentary way of life and some fatness. I also have some tensions/strains in the body that aren't going away with meditation. They are probably a combination of stress and continuous bad bodily posture.

In particular I would like to know if, starting a good diet, exercise and bodily posture, is it still necessary to do purification "tecniques" (like washing your stomach with water and cleaning your nose, etc.)?

Thank you so far.

Posted 2006-09-11 1:52 AM (#64175 - in reply to #64161)

Of course. Perfectly understandable about privacy and it is to be respected. I will not cross there again.

You are asking about Jala Neti etcetera? And I understand the question. You ask if it is still "necessary" and phrased in that way the reply is no. You do not need to do the nasal washing and stomache washing. Nor do you need to run out for an appointment at the Tummy Temple for a colon blow. You've got enough on your plate based on what you have and have not shared and you're likely to be overwhelmed and swing out of balance like a pendulum if you bite off so much.

Now perhaps that's your style, your thing. And if so this is an oportune time to find a gnetle balance through yoga practice. You may get to apoint in your practice, over time, with studies and direction, that you want to deepen your practice. And at that point, fine.

The three things I advocate are asana, some gentle and brief pranayama (brief ujjayi for perhaps nine breaths in the supine pranayama position, three times per week), and meditation.

As for diet there are three major elements. Oxygenation, hydration and alkaline. These three things are the definition of "good diet" for me.

I just want to be clear. You do not need to chant around burning Nag Champa to have a spiritual practice and work with your soul.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-11 10:12 AM (#64204 - in reply to #64080)

Modus.Ponens - 2006-09-09 1:03 AM
How about "Yoga: the Iyengar way"?

Thank you for your answers so far
And, if I may ask, what are the main methods for purifying oneself?

Peace

That book is very good reference for a) someone who does that style exercises by learning them preferably from that style class. b) someone who wants to see I Style exercise description as compared to another style of exercise they are doing currently. c) someone who wants to see what Yoga Exercise could look like if they do not know anything to do with Yoga.

Purifying oneself: Purification occurs only in Body and Mind. Body purification is achieved by purifying all the factors which body is made up of and all the factors which have effect on the functioning of the body. Mind purity is achieved by some kind of meditation alone, and partially by purifying the body. More instruction, I can give you in person.
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-11 1:52 PM (#64233 - in reply to #64175)

purnayoga - 2006-09-11 1:52 AM

Of course. Perfectly understandable about privacy and it is to be respected. I will not cross there again.

You are asking about Jala Neti etcetera? And I understand the question. You ask if it is still "necessary" and phrased in that way the reply is no. You do not need to do the nasal washing and stomache washing. Nor do you need to run out for an appointment at the Tummy Temple for a colon blow. You've got enough on your plate based on what you have and have not shared and you're likely to be overwhelmed and swing out of balance like a pendulum if you bite off so much.

Now perhaps that's your style, your thing. And if so this is an oportune time to find a gnetle balance through yoga practice. You may get to apoint in your practice, over time, with studies and direction, that you want to deepen your practice. And at that point, fine.

The three things I advocate are asana, some gentle and brief pranayama (brief ujjayi for perhaps nine breaths in the supine pranayama position, three times per week), and meditation.

As for diet there are three major elements. Oxygenation, hydration and alkaline. These three things are the definition of "good diet" for me.

I just want to be clear. You do not need to chant around burning Nag Champa to have a spiritual practice and work with your soul.

Haha, a colon blow . Maybe I've given the wrong idea. I'm not a fanatic. But thanks for the concern though.

I understrand hydration. I understand alkaline, but I don't understand what you mean with oxygenation. Besides, I know few alkaline foods suh as melons, water melons, some other fruits... vegetables maybe? Tooth paste ?

Peace
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)