YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do people treat you?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

TASHIE001
Posted 2006-09-04 9:53 PM (#63607)
Subject: How do people treat you?

Hey,
I'm pretty new to meditation and I've just told my friends that I'm beginning to meditate.
My friends put me down saying that I'm a hippy, and they think it is a joke.
Started meditation to releive my stress but the way my freinds say these things it gets me stressed out and i have no one to talk to, because all the friends that i have told are my closest.
Do people put you down when you tell them that you meditate? Am I the only one?
:cry:

Edited by TASHIE001 2006-09-04 9:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-04 10:14 PM (#63611 - in reply to #63607)
Subject: RE: How do people treat you?

The making mock is just something to be expected kiddo--let them see through your example how mediatating can lead to a more fulfilled you. Kind of like telling others you're going to quit smoking, go on a diet, lose weight--they'll either give you grief or support you--either way, it's all about you.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-04 10:16 PM (#63612 - in reply to #63607)

Tashi:
They are not putting you down. They are still your frieds. They do not understand what you told them as you are practicing, and they assume that they know it, and they know it to be a hippy-sippy thing. So,

Problem 1: You told a valuable thing to someone who does not know or does not have the value of it. (Imagine, your selling gold to a person who does not know difference between gold and a stone).

Problem 2: You think you have to talk to someone or tell someone. (This has to be only addressed in time, as you shall not be able to overcome it in the beginning stages).

Problem 3: After you told your friends, you expect them to NOT criticize you.

Problem 4: You told them something without sufficiently practicing it.

Solution: Tell only those who are interested in it. Tell only after maturing it sufficiently.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-04 10:26 PM (#63615 - in reply to #63607)

Honestly, I usually don't mention it for exactly this reason.

If you watch any amount of TV you'll see that this is pretty much the response that people in this culture have been programmed for. Meditation is usually shown as a joke, but somebody who's going to stick with it for about 5 minutes, usually when the writers need to make fun of "spiritual" people. It's usually easier to make fun of something, than actually do it.

It's really to bad your friends feel a need to be nasty about this, but it's pretty common yes.

If I was you, I'd see if I could find some sort of meditation circle in your local community. That way you've got some other people dealing with similar issues who don't think that meditation is a joke. Not sure how things are where you're at, but lots of local churches, etc offer classes in meditation. Often times they're free, and it will give you somebody to answer your questions. (And don't be afraid to ask tons of questions)
george100
Posted 2006-10-03 8:12 PM (#66138 - in reply to #63607)

Why do you analyze yourself thru their eyes ?
Is been proven that meditation, is a good stress relief. If you do it right, you'll benefit by being more energetic, optimistic, and you'll have less risk to have high blood pressure.
In this world that enforces such a busy life style, meditation is the only way to keep yourself enegetic.
The first condition to reach a relaxed state of mind in meditation, is to forgive and accept ALL those that created a bad memory to you. If you feel hurt or victimized, try to forgive unconditionally. Accept people the way they are. After that, follow the path you consider it right.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-10-04 4:58 AM (#66172 - in reply to #66138)

I so totally agree with the last post ("Namaste" George).

Next time this happens, simply smile a small, secret, Mona Lisa like smile and say nothing. They'll drop the subject for want of reaction and then start wondering what you know that they don't

Fee
yogabear
Posted 2006-10-04 5:49 AM (#66175 - in reply to #63607)

Regular

Criticism* comes from a lack of understanding. Try not to confuse intolerance with this. For example, my life partner jokes about my meditation every now and then. This comes from a place of misunderstanding, not intolerance or abuse.

Edited to add footnote: *Not to be confused with "constructive criticism" (i.e., "teaching")

Edited by yogabear 2006-10-04 5:50 AM
pamela
Posted 2006-10-04 8:15 AM (#66187 - in reply to #63607)

Hi Natasha,

I've found that friends and family often resist me changing, even if it is change that is good for me. I think it is because I'm not acting in ways they expect, and they aren't comfortable with that.

It can be unsettling, but I'm learning it just "is" and you can't control the way others will act.

In time they will accept it, or you will accept that they don't, or both.

In the mean time, don't get too stressed about being stressed. And finding support, either with a group, or books, or a teacher can be helpful while you establish your new practice.

All the best,
Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction, Colorado
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-10-05 2:17 AM (#66271 - in reply to #63607)

TASHIE001 - 2006-09-04 8:53 PM

Hey,
I'm pretty new to meditation and I've just told my friends that I'm beginning to meditate.
My friends put me down saying that I'm a hippy, and they think it is a joke.
Started meditation to releive my stress but the way my freinds say these things it gets me stressed out and i have no one to talk to, because all the friends that i have told are my closest.
Do people put you down when you tell them that you meditate? Am I the only one?

Hi,
Sharing about your meditation with others who do not understand or value it is not benificial at all. In fact their comments can discourage you. For example if somebody says - "Is it? Few days ago I read an article where in it was mentioned that meditation is harmful because it decreases metablic activities. Be careful." Now such comments will certainly discourage beginners in meditation

Also, have you thought about - why you feel like sharing this with others? Is it because you are excited to start it? Or you want others to know about it so that they can say good words about it? Or you want to find out if anyone else is also practicing? Or you expect some advice from them?

roypotter
Posted 2011-06-14 8:15 AM (#208620 - in reply to #63607)

Regular

Yeah, this generally happens that many people around you may be your parents, friends start teasing or making a fun of us if we suddenly start performing yoga/meditation because a feeling comes into their mind that why this guy is behaving differently or making or practicing different acts. Some people make fun of it because they do not know the importance of it and laugh to make you feel dominated. Whatever the case may be keep on meditating even though people laugh at you.
robinbuckley
Posted 2011-12-15 2:45 AM (#209603 - in reply to #63607)
Subject: Re: How do people treat you?

New User

Do not let what others think get in your way. I agree that mediation is a personal journey, and it really is nobody's business.
alvinsmith
Posted 2011-12-23 2:00 AM (#209684 - in reply to #63607)

Meditation is one of the easiest yet most life changing skill that could help in relaxing the mind and body from stressful thoughts. It also helps in enhancing a person’s understanding about his body thus developing the potential skills of the mind. If you are curious about how to meditate for beginners work, then knowing the basics about meditation would not hurt. When you are at home, chances are, you will be eating all you want or not eat at all. An empty or full stomach while meditating could be distracting so make sure that you have eaten enough to make you feel comfortable while sitting. This is one of the basic rules to be followed on how to meditate for beginners.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)