YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eat Right for your Type
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 9:14 AM (#63094)
Subject: Eat Right for your Type

I can't remember the author of the book but has anyone read it and follows what is instructed? Basically, its about following a diet and eating food that is right according to what blood type you are eg. A, B, O etc. It has received pretty good reviews from what I've read around. Does anyone have any personal experience of using the book which they'd like to share?

Sunnybird
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-29 9:19 AM (#63097 - in reply to #63094)
Subject: RE: Eat Right for your Type

i've read the book. the science is shaky at best.

but ayurvedic medicine does use a form of blood typing for aid in healing--but it's very complex and a completely different ideology.

for good information about nutrition, i look to traditional diets. i get a lot out of the resources of the Weston A Price foundation: http://www.westonaprice.org
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-29 11:07 AM (#63117 - in reply to #63094)

I'm with zoebird here.. my nutritionist follows blood typing, and while some of holds true, some of it doesn't...basically, as much as if I weren't following the best foods for my blood type. For example, I am blood type O... which is the "hunter" type... lots of meat, mainly red and only some grains and legumes.. I feel best more on the type A foods, which is more of the "gatherer" foods- grains, beans.. I eat meat, but red meat has always been problematic for me. I don't eat that much (except for the brief period I was pregnant, then I couldn't get enough). I feel really good when I eat vegetable based proteins- best with beans. So I do eat quite a few. But some of the stuff is on target- black pepper should be avoided. Now, I love pepper, but I feel it when I eat a lot of it. Same for wheat, vinegar and a few other things.. So, it maybe is good as a guideline, but I wouldn't put a lot of weight in it.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-29 12:12 PM (#63132 - in reply to #63117)

Expert Yogi

I have heard people having wonderful results with this diet but my personal belief is that ANY diet that includes cutting out fast food, processed food, too much food, sweets, junk, alcohol etc. (and how many diets allow you to eat any of those things?) will make anyone feel better. Even the prepackaged diet plans probably work in spite of the artificial sweeteners and processed food because 99 people out of 100 will be eating more fruit and veg and no chips and cookies.
redrox
Posted 2006-08-29 12:55 PM (#63142 - in reply to #63094)

Tourist: Very true, but only if they actually stick with it for any length of time and actually change their eating habits. The prepackaged food plans don't encourage learning how and what to eat to support daily health and activity. The old give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish parable. There are some dietary programs that allow moderate use of alcohol though.

Never did much research into the blood typing stuff so can't really commment on it. I do think if you are aware of your body signals and start with some basic commonly accepted healthy foods that balance the major food groups and macronutrient components, you can experiment and tweak things over time to find a balance that works well for you as an individual. But that takes self awareness and a long term view, that aren't often present in those with a dieting mentality.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-29 2:06 PM (#63148 - in reply to #63142)

redrox - 2006-08-29 12:55 PM
But that takes self awareness and a long term view, that aren't often present in those with a dieting mentality.

You nailed it on the head..
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 3:58 PM (#63177 - in reply to #63094)

I guess the only way you're going to know is to try something out for yourself and if it works for you then hey presto, but if it doesn't (and you'll know this by observing how you feel) then move on to something else!! It involves taking the research on board but also taking that pinch of salt on board with the research too. Everyone is different and what works for one , will not necessarily work for another. Like Redrox put it so well, its all about being self aware. Thanks for insights everyone

SB
redrox
Posted 2006-08-29 6:33 PM (#63210 - in reply to #63148)

joscmt - 2006-08-29 12:06 PM

redrox - 2006-08-29 12:55 PM
But that takes self awareness and a long term view, that aren't often present in those with a dieting mentality.

You nailed it on the head..

I moderate on an unaffiliated (i.e. free) message board of a recently popular dietary program that worked for me as a lifestyle program (which is the way it is intended, but not often implemented.) I have seen all types and attitudes over the past several years and have formed some opinions based on observation of people trying to lose and manage their weight. Just too many people looking for short term results and a "magic bullet" instead of knowledge, empowerment and solutions. It's been quite an eye opener to me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)