YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with PMT please!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 8:48 AM (#63091)
Subject: Help with PMT please!!

I know I'm not the only one and that this is a common problem for most if not all women!!

Anyway, I get really bad cravings pre-period time and I eat like a horse - its quite scary! I'll have a full meal but still feel famished afterwards and stuff my face with whatever it is I crave. Most of the time its things like cheese, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, peanut butter, bread. I am certain I put on a stone every month and its really starting to distress me. The mad cravings and eating usually last a good few days (3 if I'm lucky) but can sometimes go on for about a week. Thats a whole week of eating for about 5 people! This kind of eating doesn't help either as I have an acute/moderate eating disorder aswell. My PMT eating triggers bad memories of my binge eating days when they were really bad and I think I may sometimes eat a lot more because I think that it is happening again - does that make any sense?

Does anyone have any tips/advice/insight about how I can best deal with this mad PMT as its really getting me down.

Thanks,

SB

Edited by Sunnybird 2006-08-29 8:49 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-29 9:16 AM (#63096 - in reply to #63091)
Subject: RE: Help with PMT please!!

i would begin by moving towards whole foods. start by cutting our all white sugar, white and processed flours (essentially most commercial bread and bread-like products), and anything that is processed/overprocessed.

for a time, simply do not eat any breads or bread products. if you are going to eat grains, eat whole grains boiled (in water or broth) such as quinoa, aramanth, brown rice, barley, etc.

try to consume more raw and steamed vegetables and fruits.

move from pasturized, skimmed dairy (which is very high in sugar) toward raw (unpasturized), whole milk products. These have a better macro and micronutrient ratio.

if you include meats in your diet, move away from processed lunch meats and toward whole, fresh, pasture-raised meats. It doesn't take much work to roast a chicken, just time near the kitchen to make sure you don't start a fire. it takes two hours, but the prep is easy--wash the chicken, put it in the roasting pan, roast for one hour, flip it, and then roast again. eat the bird hot or let it cool and pull the meat from the bones. Save the bones in the freezer until you have 4 and then make bone broth out of it (also simple--water, salt, pepper, an herb bundle--let it boil down, skim the fat, compost the bones or throw them away). you can freeze the broth into useable sizes for yourself or use the broth within the week.

by eating more whole foods, you'll find that you don't crave things. if your diet is balanced and nutrient rich, your body will find it's own stability. i am vegetarian, but i rarely, if ever, have cravings. And, i do consume chocolate. my husband and i buy a dark chocolate bar (fair trade, etc), once a month. It's a regular sized chocolate bar. it takes us a month--sometimes more--to finish it.

it works!
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-29 11:14 AM (#63120 - in reply to #63091)

I've told you all before that I follow a food plan. I eat what is on it and not more, not less. It may not seem practical to some, but it has been very effective in managing my eating disorder. When that time of the month, rolls around, my nutritionist has added one protein to my dinner. I am not exactly sure why a protein, but it seems to work. After a year of no sugar, no chocolate, no white potatoes, and very little processed flour, my cravings are gone. In fact, they were gone within a month or two..I may get slightly hungrier.. but I know that what I am eating is sufficient to cover that.
I've found that processed sugar and flour only make you want more.. it creates a hunger that can't be satisfied

Posted 2006-08-29 11:20 AM (#63122 - in reply to #63091)

protien is more dense and takes longer to digest, so when you're hungry, going for protien (or a high quality fat like Cod Liver Oil) is a good alternative to sugar (such as fruit), which will burn quick and only make you hungrier.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-29 12:32 PM (#63136 - in reply to #63122)

Expert Yogi

SB - this was me last week! I have read that more lean protein is helpful. I forget what the logic was but it does take longer to digest and it also requires more water to digest protein than carbs (which is one reason they put more carbs in life raft provision kits, apparently...) so it will keep the tummy busy. What I ended up doing last week was a) drinking a lot of herbal tea b) having a big plate of steamed veg for lunch with butter, salt etc. Good flavours to kill that "need to taste" craving and c) giving myself rationed treats. I had toast and jam after lunch then in the afternoon if I had done the chores I had set myself, I had an extra treat. One evening I even ordered pizza, which I haven't done for ages. Basically, as jo says, you have to have a plan. Whether you set it yourself or someone else imposes it on you, it helps to have something set up so you can have some feeling of control. I think my thread last week was "PMS - food!" so you might want to look there as well. Good luck. When it gets really bad I just remember I only have (I hope) a few more years of this

Posted 2006-08-29 2:55 PM (#63152 - in reply to #63091)

ok, i'll tell ya'll my secret, secret recipe for the PM and M 'i crave sweet and salty:' grilled jam and cheese.

yes, i wrote 'jam' as in jelly or preserves. you can also use whole fruit. i use dense sprouted rye bread (imported from germany no less) with blue cheese (imported from denmark) and sugar free (all fruit) strawberry preserves. Now, i know it sounds crazy, but it's freakin DEE-VINE!

now, if you're like a few of my friends who cannot eat bread, may i suggest rice pudding with cheese and jam?

boil your rice, and milk and pie spice to let it reduce and get 'creamy.' add your blue cheese and stir it throughout. then top with strawberry jelly and a few crumbles of the old blue cheese.

i'm serious! SERIOUS. it's tastey.

you could also use fresh strawberries. oh yes! it is SO good. so, big secret shared with all.
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 4:16 PM (#63185 - in reply to #63091)

Zoebird - you're lucky, you say you don't get cravings and it takes you a whole month of struggle between both you and your husband to finish a single bar of chocolate - thats AMAZING!! Am very envious indeed..LOL

Jo - Does a food plan sort out your cravings, even come PMT time?!

Tourist - LOL, I just noticed your thread on PMS - Food!! How funny!! I think I might try the big plate full of steamed veg with lashings of butter and salt etc, sounds DEELICIOUS though not sure if it would help my cravings as I don't think I've ever craved steamed veggies when I have PMT!!!

Zoebird again - I absolutely LOVE the combination of cheese and jam - so yummy! Funnily enough this was exactly what I craved the other day going through my PMT phase. I had toasted bread with strawberry jam and melted cheese on top - divine and totally hit the spot!! The only problem is, I can't really eat bread but I had the craving for it with the cheese and jam and it HAD to be bread otherwise my craving wouldn't be completely satisfied. So I am with you there, it is seriously yummy!!

I usually have cravings for very specific foods. For example the other day, I woke up and just HAD to have toast with cheese and jam!! I find that if I don't satisfy my craving and try and substitute it for something else, it doesn't work and then I end up having the substitution and my what I crave so a double whammy!! How do I tackle that one?!

SB

Posted 2006-08-29 5:07 PM (#63189 - in reply to #63091)

switch from regular bread to sprouted grain bread. you'll eat far less of it (i promise) and it won't cause more cravings. the flour is the issue. when it's not sprouted, it gives sugar rushes and crashes which makes you hungrier.

here's another fav:

Nut-Butter and Jelly Bread Pudding:

sprouted grain bread
eggs, milk
nut butter of choice (i like almond)
jelly of choice

mix eggs, milk and nut butter of choice. plce bread in pan as per bread pudding. pour milk, egg, and nut butter mixture over bread. make 'wells' for jelly at random places throughout the mixture. bake until brownie consistancy.

serve warm!

some add sugar, but i prefer a more 'full bodied' flavor and feel that the jelly adds enough sweetness. i use sugar free jelly btw and often use my own nut butters.

sprouted grain cinnimon bread with almond butter and loganberry jam is EXCELLENT too.
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 5:14 PM (#63190 - in reply to #63091)

mmmmmmmmmmmm, yum, thanks for that recipe Zoebird!! But where might one get sprouted grain bread?!!

sb

Posted 2006-08-29 5:25 PM (#63193 - in reply to #63091)

at a health food store like Trader Joes, Wild Oats, or Whole Foods Market. The brands available in the US are ezekiel and alvarado st. uhm, there are probably others, but i don't know them.

we get ezekiel--i like the flavor better.

also, the inclusion of eggs in the pudding increases the protien (as well as makes it sticky), which makes the whole thing burn more slowly which means that you won't get hungry as quickly. Seriously, when you use good ingredients a little goes a long way.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-29 5:31 PM (#63196 - in reply to #63091)

zoe- that sounds awesome! AND, I can get it to work in my breakfast plan.. which is 3 protein, 1 fruit, 1 dairy, 1 starch- perfect!

sb- adding the extra protein adresses my hunger, because I don't really have cravings anymore. also, remember, for my to break my food plan and lose my abstinence is the same as an alcoholic taking a drink and losing his/her sobriety date. My abstinence date is 4/7/05...I don't want to give all that work up for one taste of something else.. it's not worth it for me. Sometimes, I just white-knuckle it through and 9 times out of 10.. it passes.. But seriously, I haven't had a bad craving in about a year.... I think a lot of it is because the blood sugar is regulated and my body isn't missing out on anything
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-29 5:41 PM (#63201 - in reply to #63091)

Zoe - do you know if I can order it via the internet as I'm not based in the states!

Jo - wow, abstinance for more than a year now - Congratulation, well done!! You're right, its not worth it to give all that hard work up for 1 taste of something, especially if you know it will send you off kilter again

sb

Posted 2006-08-29 5:45 PM (#63203 - in reply to #63091)

well, here's the secret. typically there are three labels--regardless of country:

bread, whole grain bread, and sprouted grain bread.

if your bread says 'sprouted grain bread' then it is likely sprouted grain bread. where are you from? because then i can do a search for brands of bread in that region/area.

Posted 2006-08-29 5:49 PM (#63205 - in reply to #63091)

joscmt:

awesome! two things:

1. i'm glad that you can use it; i know some abstain from all bread products--so that's why i mentioned the rice pudding bit too (unless that's what you were refering to)!

2. i find that really working pidgeon pose (because of it's discomfort) is a great mirror for overcoming addictions and cravings. A lot of dealing with cravings and the physical side effects of overcoming addictions is really learning to embrace and breathe through the present discomfort of that moment when the addiction is being moved out of the body/energybody/mind/spirit or when the craving strikes and it is very uncomfortable!

so, another angle to 'white knuckling' through it. maybe.
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-31 5:30 PM (#63316 - in reply to #63091)

Zoebird - I'm based in Cyprus at the moment and there is no chance of getting it here...hee hee!! I may have to do an internet search

sb
Sunnybird
Posted 2006-08-31 5:30 PM (#63317 - in reply to #63091)

Zoebird - I'm based in Cyprus at the moment and there is no chance of getting it here...hee hee!! I may have to do an internet search

sb

Posted 2006-08-31 11:20 PM (#63330 - in reply to #63091)

well, i did a quick search for sprouted grain breads in cyprus, but i couldn't find anything in english which stymied my process.

so, look for something that says "sprouted grain" and you should be fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)