YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

zzzuluwarrior and friends
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-10-31 9:59 AM (#68584 - in reply to #68555)
Subject: time

Thank you, wise TSSundaram for your words of wisdom. I needed to hear it, and it really made my day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-10-31 10:48 AM (#68587 - in reply to #62876)
Subject: RE: zzzuluwarrior and friends

bstqltmkr :- Thank you for your small small messages to me. Such messages I am getting from all of you, give enough pep,vigour and energy to me and enthuse me to search for some topic and bring it to the forum here.
Every day after food I relax on an easy chair, take rest for half an hour to one hour, no dosing please, think of close relations and friends, the latest addition being yourself, ystan, zzzulu and judamom.
Today your name came in front of my eyes. Please take it in a very lighter vein Shelly,of what I am saying.(actually our forum is meant in a way for light talks only) Sitting in the arm chair,I was wondering as to how we can pronounce your e-mail name-bstqltmkr- without a vowel in betweem . Your real name, nice one - Shelly, is very easy to pronounce, But e-mail name ?. There must be some meaning behind it .Could you please explain to me. Again I am saying,no intention to harm you. Thanks.
ystan
Posted 2006-10-31 11:13 AM (#68591 - in reply to #67455)

Below is my summarization of Andrew Weil, M.D. “Breathing, Master Key to Self-Healing”. Part 1 of 3. The double CD audio book contained much more than my simple summary. I am no expert in any of the exercises prescribed. Perhaps TSSundaram can comment on the usefulness of the exercises. 

Our body has a natural capability to heal itself through proper breathing. Breathwork helps to center the mind, allow us to deal with daily challenges with less anxiety. Breath is the spiritual essence of human being; focus on breath opens the conscious & unconscious mind. Breathwork is free, needs no tool, and takes only a few minutes a day. One will experience health improvement over the space of few weeks / months. 

Breathwork influences the body’s Autonomic Nervous System. It helps to balance the over-activity of Sympathetic Nervous System and under-activity of the Parasympathetic Nervous system; too much “fight or flight” impulses speed up heart rate, shut down in digestion system, and causes high blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, panic disorder and strings of other illnesses.  

Benefits of Breathwork included:

-          Improvement to digestion, circulation, relaxation, general health, energy level etc.

-          Correcting irregular heartbeat, insomnia, panic disorder, anxiety etc.

-          Preparing one for meditation. 

Tips to good breathing:

-          Simplest way of exercise is to observe one’s breath without influence/interference.

-          Make breathing deeper, slower, quieter and more regular (DSQR). Keep doing it throughout the day. Breathing DSQR will immediately calm one’s mental state.

-          When inhaling, take full volume of air, belly should expand and move outwards.

-          Conceptualize breathing cycle to start from exhalation and end with inhalation.

-     Best time for Breathwork is in the morning and before bedtime. Twice a day is adequate but it must be done regularly and daily, and one will see the true benefits over time.

ystan
Posted 2006-10-31 11:26 AM (#68594 - in reply to #68591)

Part 2 of 3

Preparation for Breathwork

-          Find a quiet place with no distraction; sit in a comfortable position, keep your spine/back straight, head relaxed, eyes open / half open / close.

-          Each exercise can be done separately. I added the time indication. 

Following your Breath (5-10 minutes)

-          Put attention on your breath; do not try to influence it; Follow inhales and exhales with your mind. If attention wonders, gently brings it back to the breath, just follow the breath.

-          You may observe the breath in more than one place, e.g. nostrils, passage between throat & chest, abdomen etc.

-          This Breathwork is most simple yet powerful, and it is most difficult to accomplish.

Beginning with Exhalation (3 minutes

-    Observe the in-out cycle; now reverse the conception of breath cycle to out-in.

-     Follow the breath, do not influence it, each breath cycle begins with out-breath and ends with in-breath. Deepen breathing by increasing the air one exhaled.

Squeeze More Air Out Of The Lungs (3 minutes)

-          Exercise increases lung capacity. Use the Intercostals muscles between your ribs, in areas in lower ribs to squeeze more air out of the lung. Lengthen exhalation and make it at least equal to the length of inhalation.

-          Take a deep inhale, and let air out through mouth, when you get to the end, squeeze a little more, more, more (smooth process, no jerking). Feel the intercostals muscles squeezing the sides of your body.

ystan
Posted 2006-10-31 11:32 AM (#68595 - in reply to #68594)

Part 3 of 3

The Stimulating Breath – Bellows breath (5 - 10 minutes) (Yoga Pranayama)

-          Exercise increases energy level in nervous system, increases alertness and warmth.

-          Tongue in Yogic position. Touch tip of tongue to the backs of upper front teeth, between the teeth and palate. This is the position where the two nadis begin and ends. By doing so, we complete circuit and keep the energy within the body.

-          Breathe in and out rapidly through nose, mouth closed, equal length, short and quick, rapid movement of the diaphragm, 3 cycles per seconds – start with 15 seconds, breath normally, then start again, workup to 1 minute.

-          Rest until breath is back to normal.

Make Your breathing Deep, Slow, Quiet, and Regular (3 - 5 minutes)

-          Exercise improves body function, stilling one’s mind, harmonize nervous system. Good exercise when one is upset.

-          Observe your breathing, consciously make breath deeper, slower, quieter and more regular.

Let Yourself Be Breathed (3 - 5 minutes)

-          Active imagination, playful exercise.

-          Lie down, close eyes, imagine yourself as a passive recipient of breath, the universe is breathing into you and breathing out of you.

The Relaxing Breath (5 – 10 minutes)

-          Exercise work on curbing craving (e.g. when one wants to light a cigarette), anxiety, nervousness, and addictions, it alters state of consciousness.

-          Put tongue in Yogic position. (Refer to Stimulating breath).

-          Inhale through nose quietly, hold, and exhale through mouth noisily.

-          Exhale, start count to ratio of 4(Inhale): 7(Hold): 8(Exhale). Note: ensure smooth breath.

-          4 cycles twice a day, workup to 8 breath cycles twice a day.

Combining Stimulating and Relaxing Breath (5 – 10 minutes

-          As a prelude to meditation.

-          Perform Stimulating breath for 1 minute.

-          Perform 8 cycles of Relaxing breath.

-          Meditation.

-- end --

judamom
Posted 2006-10-31 11:55 AM (#68598 - in reply to #68595)

I can see that I must obtain a printer. Thank-you very much Ystan. I will be concentrating on breathing for awhile. I am taking a break from mowing my grass........my mower keeps quiting and I decided it was time for a break. TSSundaram---I went to the health store and the wheat grass was too expensive for now. I will put it on my priority list under honey because I am almost out. I did purchase alfalfa seeds and I have sprouts ready for tonights dinner. I will rotate jars of sprouts so I have them constantly. Shelly, I did finish my guest room/ meditation room and it did turn out exactly how I hoped it would. When the sun hits the chrystals in the morning the room is full of rainbows. I hung all my wind chimes in the tree outside the window for a double wammy----rainbows and wonderful sound both. The room is in three shades of blue, from bright to pastel and then I painted 3 pieces of furniture bright blue and did a custom piece of art work (actually I 'redid' an old one that I had tired of). The best of all it did not cost anything. The paint was given to me and so were the pieces of furniture. Thanks for remembering and asking. I can now concentrate on Ystan's breathing information in my meditation room. Break must be over.......it is a lovely day to be doing yard work and I have a gift of free time today. Namaste all----you too zzzulu, can't wait for your sharing of the information from your workshop. I am reading a book about the galactic alignment that my grandson suggested and it speaks of the origins of Vedic traditions. Is that in any way connected to what you are talking about? Judamom
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-01 4:05 AM (#68644 - in reply to #62876)

To judamom,bstqltmkr and zzzulu.
Reproduced below is an article on "ALFALFA".

Description & Properties:

"ALFALFA" which in ancient Arabic means 'Father of all Foods", is one of the most mineral rich plants. It's roots grow more than 30 feet deep into the soil to reach minerals that are inaccessible to most other plants. This highly beneficial plant has rare vitamins like D, K & U in addition to important substances like Saponins, Enzymes, Amino acids, Sugars, Proteins, Sterols, Coumarin, Flavonoids, Alkaloids, Trace elements and Nutrients. It is therefore called a Green Superfood.

Benefits:

Very effective in the treatment of functional type of diseases such as Arthritis, Rheumatism, Anaemia colitis and Swelling of legs due to water retention.
High levels of chlorophyll present in it flush out toxins from the body and purifies the blood.
It helps in digestion of all 4 classes of foods - proteins, fats, starches and sugars thus acting as a mild laxative and preventing constipation.
Rich in Vitamins which are as under:
Vitamin A builds the immunity system and thus prevents infection.
Vitamin B12 works against pernicious anemia.
Vitamin U helps cure Peptic, Duodenal & Gastric Ulcers.
Vitamin K helps in Clotting of blood and is effective in treating Jaundice.
Vitamin D, which is found in very few other sources apart from sunlight helps in building bones and treating Rickets and Osteoporosis.
It helps enrich the quality and increase the quantity of milk in nursing mothers.· In expectant mothers it brings morning sickness under control and prevents haemorrhage after delivery.
Controls Cholesterol levels in the body, reduces High blood pressure and improves the functioning of the Cardiovascular system.
Being rich in Calcium and Phosphorus, it fights tooth decay and even strengthens teeth.
Brings about considerable improvement in case of problems of the Kidney, Bladder and Prostrate.
"ALFALFA" helps in the relief , prevention and cure of most of our ailments; induces mental exhilaration and a feeling of general well being, thus acting as a natural anti-depressant.

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-11-01 9:24 AM (#68656 - in reply to #68591)

Many thanks to Ystan and TSSundaram for generously sharing their knowledge.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-01 9:55 AM (#68661 - in reply to #62876)

zzzuluwarrior and all:- We survive on the 25% of the food we consume , and on the remaining 75% our doctors survuive. This may be an exaggerated saying, but nonetheless contains a grain of truth also. Another saying "We dig our own grave with our own teeth" also points out to the hazard of over-eating.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-11-01 10:31 AM (#68668 - in reply to #62876)

Good Day All, Tssundaram, I'm thinking I couldn't have bored you so terribly if your still asking questions, and so here goes the explanation of bstqltmkr. About four years ago, my older daughter was accepted to a science camp for girls. She had never been away from home before, and although no phone calls were allowed, e-mail was acceptable. That wasn't going to help us out much, because at the time I had no internet e-mail account.

I was worried about missing my girl, and so I went to see my friend who had internet access. She helped me to set up my account with yahoo, but we were a little stumped, trying to get the address right. Finally, we were thinking qltmkr, thinking this would be symbolic of quiltmaker, something I associate myself with. Unfortunately, that was already taken. Yahoo sent me a few suggestions, including qltmkr with a number attached. I was with my friend, and I was getting a little giddy, and I said why be a number, when you can be the best, and so I tried bstqltmkr, short form for best quiltmaker. Thinking only of communicating with my daughter at that point, I said yes, and took it. She thinks I'm the best, so why not.

I wasn't imagining at that time that a lot of people were going to know me represented as bstqltmkr. I don't really think I'm the best, I do the best I can. I'm proud of my quilts, and I'm proud to do my best. Eventually when I posted on Mr. Yee's blog at Yahoo, it automatically signed me as bstqltmkr. Then when we migrated over here, I kept my self proclaimed title, so that I would be known by my friends. I put my real name in my profile, and eventually someone used it. It felt nice to see, so I started signing it on occasion. I'm glad you like it, it's served me well enough, when someone wants my attention they can call it out, and I'll say, yes?

Ah Judamom, Fresh air, and a fresh meditation room. Life is good. Namaste. Shelly

Edited by bstqltmkr 2006-11-01 10:31 AM
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-01 11:24 AM (#68676 - in reply to #62876)

judamom:- Your post 68598. Yes, wheat grass as such in the greenish grass form and the same in powder form are very costly. Because of the high cost, for full two years 2003 and 2004, I was growing the grass in my apartment balcony, got fed up finally, because of the laborious work involved in getting the juice in the drinking stage, and one fine morning I said "thus far and no further" to this juice. So, for the last one and a half years and a little more, I am without the juice . My wife too.

As you know, very recently I started the topic on wheat grass in this forum, suggested to ystan, she already knew fully the efficacy of the juice , purchased the wheat grass powder and started taking it. She then told me about the same which really gave me a good push to search for the same and to start drinking it. I got the powder finally and am regular in taking it.

When you have made a reference to mowing, mower etc,.judamom in your post, I presume that you must be having some open space near to your residence. Can you not think of demarcating 7 small pieces of earth, say one square foot area each, for seven days,Sunday to Saturday where you can sow the soaked wheat grains about to sprout, every day and grow the same. I am just dreaming and writing to you. You may have practical problems.

Coming to Alfalfa, it is equally good like wheat grass from health point of view and cheap in price too. Sprouted alfalfa is excellant because sprouting enhances the nutritive value of the grain. Today I have sent a write up on Alfalfa in this column, just above this. Please read the same.
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-11-01 10:39 PM (#68742 - in reply to #68661)
Subject: eating less

TSSundaram
you are so right. They've done experiment with rats and those eating 33% less than their group B live quite a bit longer. I think we wear out our digestive system. In ayurveda, all problems begin in the digestive system, so I was told. We can start by not over eating. Yeah for longevity, so we can enjoy life for a bit longer.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-01 11:07 PM (#68746 - in reply to #62876)

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-11-02 9:05 AM (#68767 - in reply to #62876)

Good day to everyone, Today here is starting out beautifully. The sunshine is so nice, it's been a while since it's been shining. It's the perfect day to get some outdoor fall chores out of the way, some jobs have been on hold due to the rain we've been having. It's a good thing that I made no plans for today, and can get stuff done. Hope you all are well. Shelly
ystan
Posted 2006-11-02 11:36 AM (#68795 - in reply to #68656)

Dear Zzzulu, wishing you lots of learning and fun doing the Ayurveda course. So how did you get interested in Ayurveda, is this a short or long training, and what is your expectation when you complete the  course? Also, our "zzzuluwarrior and friends" thread is getting big, new posts are not showing up timely, should we cutover to a new thread with minor change to the title? Namaste everybody!

tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-02 11:45 AM (#68798 - in reply to #62876)

bstqltmkr and friends:- This refers to post # 68668, from bstqltmkr, a lengthy one , nice to read, unfolding the history as to how her name "bstqltmkr" came to stay with her. She has also another equally good name Shelly King. I never expected that beneath her name, there were a lot of things for her to say, about her name's origin, as well as an account of events for her name "bstqltmkr" to stay with her. It is really amusing to read her words"self proclaimed title" in her post. We all must have really enjoyed her post .We wish her all the best in the months and years to come.
Judamom and ystan,nice to hear the names, mom steals the show.
Coming to zzzuluwarrior, I am waiting for zzzulu to explain as to why she wants two extra "z" for her name.
My name, for all of you to say something. I shall enjoy.
This is written just like that .No malice meant.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-11-02 2:46 PM (#68801 - in reply to #62876)

Tssundaram, thank you for sending me your best wishes, I'm so glad my post amused you, just as I intended.

Ystan, I didn't want to mention the first couple of posts not showing up right away, thinking it was only me. Thanks for bringing it up. I think we have room for eight more posts on this page, and the ninth person to post can open a new thread. Or someone can do it anytime, I'll follow you of course. Namaste. Shelly

ystan
Posted 2006-11-02 3:14 PM (#68804 - in reply to #68798)

Dear Friends, my name has deep meaning to my mother; it means "pieces of shinning and beautiful cloths which were used by ancient Chinese emperor or family as book cover". Her hope was I should grow up to be a hardworking student and embrace books. However, she forgot to check further, a “book cover” in Chinese is pronounced as "pow su" which means "sure to lose", nevertheless, I did grow up an averagely good student, and even though I have never strike a lottery, I love my name as it is a gift from my beloved mother, I thank her from the bottom of my heart. Also I have mentioned earlier, I love your names too; they are all unique and very beautiful! Namaste. 
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-11-03 11:20 AM (#68823 - in reply to #62876)

Ystan, your name has beautiful meaning, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a fabric fanatic. Thank you.
ystan
Posted 2006-11-03 11:39 AM (#68826 - in reply to #68823)

Shelly, I now know we have one more connection in addition to our love for Yoga, and that is fabric! That's great.

Wishing everybody a beautiful day filled with bliss, peace and harmony. Namaste

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-11-04 3:32 PM (#68844 - in reply to #62876)
Subject: Making the most of it

Subject: Attitude is everything

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today?" So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two hairs on her head. "Hmm." she said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today?" So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head. "Well," she said, "today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail." So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head. "YEA!" she exclaimed, "I don't have to fix my hair today!"

Attitude is everything.

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly...,
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
ystan
Posted 2006-11-07 2:26 AM (#68936 - in reply to #68644)

Dear TSSundaram and Judamom, yesterday I bought some Alfalfa sprouts from a local supermarket and took my first bite of this "Father of all Foods", I made a salad with pumpkin seeds, cherry tomatoes and vinegar, I must say it is refreshing indeed. Today I took another bite and there is only 1/3 left in the container, I will definitely go back to get more. Other than eating it raw and mix with salad, is there other ways of consuming it? Namaste.
ystan
Posted 2006-11-07 2:35 AM (#68937 - in reply to #68844)
Subject: RE: Making the most of it

Dear zzzulu, it will be difficult for this woman not to live a full life! Amazing is her attitude for seeing and is contended with what she has, and not focuses on what she does not have! Namaste.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-11-08 6:01 AM (#68982 - in reply to #62876)

zzzulu, ystan and friends:- This refers to posts 68844 and 68937. Yes, Attitude is everything and the small anecdote of zzzulu is inspiring. There is poetry in the three lines rendered by ystan in her post. It is all about how we look at things. Wise men of large vision can see sunshine gleaming through the darkest cloud. These persons can see goodness from the evil. In pain, he can see the effort of nature to restore health. In trials, he can find correction and discipline. In sorrow and sufferings he sees courage and knowledge to acquire. So , in our every day life, we may be once in a way made to sit on a handful of thorns, bear it and see always the good side of everything and follow it. Practical wisdom is encased in such a positive attitude.
ystan
Posted 2006-11-08 9:55 AM (#68983 - in reply to #68982)

Wow, it is difficult get into the forum, let me make hay while the sun shines. Dear TSSundaram, well said! And you generated much positive energies, and hope, in your post. Namaste everyone.
Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Now viewing page 12 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)