YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

zzzuluwarrior and friends
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-26 1:43 AM (#62876)
Subject: zzzuluwarrior and friends

per Tourist and Ystan's great suggestions, here it is.
TSsundaram, Shelly, Nick, Dio, and all wonderful yogis/yoginis, hope to read your postings here.

zzzuluwarrior
Top of the page Bottom of the page
judamom
Posted 2006-08-30 5:19 PM (#63237 - in reply to #62876)
Subject: RE: zzzuluwarrior and friends

Here zzzuluwarrior and friends sit all empty......I have tried a half dozen times to just simply say hi and I have not been able to do it because of some computer dysfunctions. I just came from the computer shop and here I try again. I was able to put something on another forum but not this one---I do not understand---but then there is much that I do not understand. Let us try. and if it works.......hi to all.....and if it doesn't.....well I just have to say I must not need to be heard from! Judamom
judamom
Posted 2006-08-30 5:27 PM (#63238 - in reply to #63237)

I made it.....whew! TSsundaram how are you? I was thinking of you today and wishing to see your name here. Isn't it strange how we can miss people we have only known for a short time in a rather unusual way......for us old timers anyway........hope you are well and happy! Same with you Ystan.....and you zzzulu.....I always know I leave out others unintentionally until I see your name again. Peace within an without. I heard several things on PBS radio today that were encouraging words of peace......I know you have to catch them around all the words of war but they are there.
ystan
Posted 2006-09-01 10:13 AM (#63387 - in reply to #63238)

I was unable to get to this thread yesterday and I had to post into the "Hi" thread. I hope today I'm lucky. 

Why we miss people. Is it because we have a meeting of the mind, the "union" of spirit that kept us going? I miss TS Sundaram too; he has not been heard after he said he is going to work on "Feet"! I'm a little worried reading his posted that he had suffered the 4th fall over 12 months. But I have full faith that a high-spirited person like him will do well under whatever circumstances, and I hope to hear from him soon.

Namaste everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting zzzulu next week! And remember to take deep breaths and share the good energy and calmness with others.

Edited by ystan 2006-09-01 10:15 AM
judamom
Posted 2006-09-03 9:49 AM (#63510 - in reply to #63387)

Wow! Zzzuluwarrior and Ystan's energy together in person--what a treat---for the two of you and all who are around you--bless and heal with all that combined energy! And enjoy! Judamom
ystan
Posted 2006-09-04 12:36 PM (#63561 - in reply to #62876)

I'm happy to report that I had not fallen asleep in my third try at Yoga Nidra. Finally I got a tiny taste of Yoga Nidra meditation, which is great! Last night I had uninterrupted 7 hours sleep. So it must be good for insomnia. Well up to now I do not know much about Yoga Nidra nor it's processes, I'm reading up and will continue sharing with you my experience. Oh yes, my neighbor snored through the session which lasted about 20 minutes, she woke up as embarrassed as I did, with 2 pinky hot cheeks.

T.S. Sundaram, welcome back and you must tell us why you had disappeared for so long!

Namaste

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-09-04 9:46 PM (#63606 - in reply to #63561)

hi all
apologies for my absent. I have been traveling, will be back home next week.

this trip takes me to some remote yet tourist-filled spot. In spite of the crowd, the scenery is so breathtaking. I never knew the earth to be so beautiful, I think my standing pose will be different after this trip.

I shall post some photos on the internet with the link. Please give me some time to sort them out after I get home.

Namaste to all.

zzzulu
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-05 7:22 AM (#63626 - in reply to #62876)

judamom:- Grateful to you for your post # 63238 of 2009-08-31. Last four days I was a bit busy with a few of my relations who had made a surprise visit to my place. They have all left now and we both, myself and my wife are back in square one.I also kept away from the pc during their stay. I am starting with "Feet" shortly. Thank you for your kind words.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-05 7:31 AM (#63627 - in reply to #62876)

zzzuuwarrior:- I am reproducing below a message to you which I had wrongly sent to" Hi "

tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-05 8:41 PM (#63556 - in reply to #55544)
Subject: RE: HI

Regular

zuluwarrior:- Your message # 62931 of 2006-08-27. Soaking the feet in hot water for some time before going to bed is very good. One can add a little quantity of common salt in the hot water.

This new post does'nt seem to move fast. Let us all try and give a forward push to this..
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-05 8:07 AM (#63632 - in reply to #62876)

Ystan and all friends.:- Thank you for your reference about me in your post # 63387 of 2006-09-2006. Yes, I remember about "feet" and shall be making a beginning soon.
I am now quite okay after the falls.I went to our family Doctor and ruled out that there was no fracture . I was out of action for a few days due to pain here and there. I am not patting my own back, ystan. I can tell you that it was my yoga practice and other exercises that has saved me. I am trying to be always careful, but sometimes...... and I am now 81. I do all these, not because I want to live for 120 years and more. So long as I am there,I must do things without any assistance, I must go to the Post office,or Railway station or market or relations or friends house without any help.This is my aim and this is what I want. Another thing, Chatting with all of you through this medium makes me feel light without the weight of 81 years on my shoulder and also makes me think very young .
Since we have to make use of this forum for our mutual benefit , I am seriously thinking of narrating my One day's routine from the time I get up till I go to bed ,so that readers, after looking at it , can advice me to refine it further with their valuable advices and suggestions.
ystan
Posted 2006-09-05 2:16 PM (#63672 - in reply to #63632)

So long as I am there,I must do things without any assistance, I must go to the Post office,or Railway station or market or relations or friends house without any help.

Dear TS Sundaram, so have you analyse the reason/s of your falls and take corrective precautions? Why is the assistance of a walking stick unthinkable? Do you don't agree it can help to prevent the next unfortunate fall? Remember in Yoga we should practice Ahimsa and do not conduct activities that has possibilities of harming ourselves. May good health returns and a speedy recovery. Namaste  

Edited by ystan 2006-09-05 2:18 PM
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-09-15 11:18 AM (#64499 - in reply to #62876)

ystan:- Thank you for your kind words to me in your message # 63672 of 2006-09-06. I quite welcome and appreciate your suggestion to take the help of a walking stick while going out. Certainly it will help me as a support . In fact I have used a stick in the past while hiking and while climbing hills etc in a group. And the stick as a support has been very useful. Certainly, at this age of mine I must have a walking stick. I have one, my late father's. To tell you frankly yastan, I am a bit shy to use it for fear of people laughing at me. I shall however muster more courage in me and try to put to use the walking stick I have with me whenever I go on foot. Thanks once again for your interest in me. I very much cherish it and such suggestions are the ones we expect from this forum.
judamom
Posted 2006-09-15 11:48 AM (#64501 - in reply to #64499)

tssundaram--a possible consideration is--if anyone laughs at you with a walking stick, you can at least be adding some laughter to a planet much in need. Besides, if it is your father's walking stick with him no longer here---you can imagine him walking with you. I often walk with loved ones who are no longer here, when I walk on the beach.......it is comforting and even encouraging to think that I can still have them near. I for one, who love to hear how your daily routine goes. I encourage you to do that for us. I used to always say to people.....'be careful' but a friend mentioned that we have all been told that through our childhoods enough to last a life time, so he always says 'have fun'. Judamom
ystan
Posted 2006-09-15 12:04 PM (#64502 - in reply to #64499)

TS Sundaram, believe me, I always view a person with a walking stick cool! Especially if s/he, like a leader in a marching band, move / swings the stick in style. Others notice the stick mostly will give way and exercise care, which ensure safety; it can be used as a protection against stray/dangerous animals too. I’m sure you will find many creative way of enjoying using it. 

Have you fully recovered, and are you back to daily Yoga practice?

I had a wonderful meeting with Zzzuluwarrior and all I can say is SHE IS SO COOL, and a true warrior!

Namaste

ystan
Posted 2006-09-15 12:42 PM (#64504 - in reply to #63561)

Hi friends, I came across a short article on Yoga Nidra by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati, which I find interesting. It is not my aim to persuade you to join a Yoga Nidra class, but to know what it is, what it can do, is good knowledge. Namaste http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-18 9:27 AM (#64666 - in reply to #62876)

Hi Ystan, I remember when you signed on to your yoga class package that you had a few options for yoga styles to try out. Could you tell more on what types you've tried, or which ones have become favorites? I'm assuming your liking the Yoga Nidra, it sounds very interesting. Has it affected your regular sleep pattern? Sleep and dreams are both very interesting to me. Enjoy your classes, Shelly
ystan
Posted 2006-09-18 11:24 PM (#64725 - in reply to #64666)

Hi Shelly, yes my Yoga classes are coming along nicely. There are some 300 classes a week and I have the luxury of attending a class when I feel like it. There are 40+ Class descriptions and at various levels, mainly Hatha, Ashtanga, Power, Hot, Yogalates, Dances etc. but no specific styles like Ivengar and Bikram. Due to my low fitness level, age, and interest, I’m attending entry-level classes in Hatha, Therapy, Deep Stretch, Meditation, and Nidra.  I attended a Kundalini Yoga class and decided to drop it; I felt the 3HO Kundalini Yoga practice, in my own opinion, deviated from Hatha Yoga, which requires quite the mind, and concentration. I’m uncomfortable with the continuous loud chanting of names of gurus. But hey, 3HO has millions of members worldwide, I must have missed something. Still, I rather develop my Kundalini energy from practice of pranayama, meditation and asanas. I have sound (I snore) and deep sleep from all the exercises I get nowadays, and Nidra must have helped too! Hope you are feeling better these days, note that each of us are giving different challenges in our life journey, and when we are not balanced, it is the opportunity to investigate and further develop ourselves! Namaste
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-09-19 12:03 AM (#64731 - in reply to #62876)
Subject: Vital principle of Yoga #1

Hi all
it's been a while since I last posted. It's always so nice to see everyone. Thank you, all, for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I thought I would quote here from Dona Holleman's Dancing the Body of Light (a wonderful book) the seven vital principles of yoga. I find it very helpful for myself and I re-read it over time to remind myself what yoga is about.

I shall post one principle every week or two.

here's the first one:

Seven Vital Principles of Yoga---Dona Holleman
First Vital Principle: Relaxation or Undoing the Body

In the First Vital Principle, relaxation, the body is swept clean of the past, which is expressed in tensions and blockages in joints and muscles. Throughout the day and over the years, as the body accumulates the “fall-out” of emotional experiences and physical stress, it stores this “fall-out” in various parts of the body, such as the shoulder, the neck, the lumbar region, and the hip joints. Many authors have written about the connections between negative emotional experiences and specific parts of the body. Although we will not go into details, it is important to realize that there is a deep connection between our physical body and our emotional and mental life.

Suffice to say here that, once the body has stored these negative energies, they become stuck to the point that most people are not even aware that they have a “problem”. Before we can imprint a new type of awareness in the body, we have to relax the physical body, in whichever position it happens to be. This does not necessarily have to be a yoga position, but can be while walking, sitting or any other activity.

Relaxation is not the same as letting the body go limp in its totality. It means, in the first place, relaxing the muscles while maintaining the integrity of the body, in whichever position one is. The accumulated tensions, for the most part unconscious, should be brought to the surface and released consciously. In this way the body is upheld by its skeletal structure and the muscles closest to it, not by the big, peripheral muscles, where most of the tensions are stored. For instance, while standing to sitting, the back should be held absolutely straight, using the deepest muscles close to the spinal column, while the muscles of the shoulders and arms are allowed to hang relaxed from the shoulder joints.

Hence, the first thing in relaxation is to become aware that there are tensions or blockages of energy in certain muscles and joints. One has to become aware of them, as it were, from “inside”. Many people say: “ Oh yes, I have stiff shoulders, but there is nothing I can do about it.” This means that they look at the problem form the ‘outside’, as an external observer. This, in general, has the opposite effect from relaxation, as it fixes the blockages even more in the mind and body, till it becomes “my stiff shoulders, my stiff hips”. Each repetition of this affirmation further aggravates the situation. This, in the language of the Energy Body, is called doing.

There is another way, however, which in the language of the Energy Body, is called undoing. In this undoing, the tension is not confirmed by external observation and affirmation. On the contrary, the mind ‘crawls’, as it were, inside the muscle or joint, without naming the problem, without even call this tensions ‘a problem’. The mind, from ‘inside’ the muscles or joint, merely observes the tension, the blockage, quietly and with a great deal of clarity and affection. In this quiet observation the body will, by itself, unfold and unwind, gradually allowing air and space to come back into the tense parts. This is called undoing, when the muscles and joints unfurl like a tightly closed leaf, to let in the sunlight and the air.

This skin is also included in this process. In the course of the years, the skin tends to become a defensive barrier, protecting the body from the onslaughts of the world, like cold or heat, or from the energies of other people. It becomes like a sharp dividing line between the inner and the outer energies, keeping the outer energies out, and the inner energy in.

In deep relaxation the skin becomes again transparent, translucent, like in early childhood, so that the body becomes vulnerable again to the outside energies, and no longer constricts a the inner energy of Body of Light. This is one of the most important aspects of relaxation”: reconnecting to the surrounding space by, as it were, ‘taking the skin away,’ making it so transparent that tit does not obstruct the free flow of energy from the inside towards the outside, and vice versa. In this state of transparency, we can deliberately expand the Body of Light beyond the skin.
judamom
Posted 2006-09-19 4:12 AM (#64738 - in reply to #62876)

zzzuluwarrior--thank-you so much for taking the time to share your informative words on Yoga. I found myself 'feeling' out tensions as I read and releasing...so just simply bringing to mind the knowledge again is helpful. Are you getting your energy back from your travels? I was of a low energy level and decided to do a fruit fast for a few days.....it came back. I do not know if you do fasting (or in this case just ingesting one particular cleansing for a few days) but I do them whenever my body asks me to and it is helpful--for my body type anyway. Ystan's enthusiasm has me studying 3 Reiki books. I love learning of all the philosophies/spiritual approaches so I can relate with anyone and what is their valued understanding. Thanks again for your sharing. Judamom
ystan
Posted 2006-09-19 10:44 AM (#64757 - in reply to #64738)

Wow zzzulu, I love the First Vital Principle, you did great summary! It is easy to say let our body relax, but experience a total LET GO is at this moment, a bliss (a feeling of weightlessness surrounded by Chi or in deep space) that comes once in a long while, and most of the time, I’m just faking it lying in savasana. I’m slowing getting there with practice. Thank you for providing more pointers on how to relax.

Judamom, you may call me a glutton, when I experience a shortage of energy, I will eat “energy food” or sleep to recuperate, fasting and juicing is the last thing in my mind. TSSundaram will raise his eyebrows after reading this post. 

Namaste 

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-09-20 8:01 PM (#64900 - in reply to #64757)

TSSundaram, are your eyebrows raised, hee hee? after reading YSTan's posting.

YSTan, that first vital principle was not a summary. I quoted it from the book because it's so perfectly versed. When I have time, I'll post the page on savasana. It's really good stuff.

Keep well and namaste.

zzzulu
ystan
Posted 2006-09-20 11:40 PM (#64904 - in reply to #64900)

Zzzulu, thanks and I look forward to reading the page on savasana.

TSSundaram must be sitting comfortably somewhere doing his 108 ohms and has no time to raise his eyebrows…yet… Namaste

Edited by ystan 2006-09-20 11:45 PM
judamom
Posted 2006-09-21 6:25 AM (#64915 - in reply to #64757)

Ystan, I would never call you a glutton........remember I put "for my body type anyway". I really try to honor all approaches.....the only time I have some difficulty is when someone has an approach that obviously is not working--say, extreme obesity--and yet they tell me eating one meal a day is not healthy. I started playing with fasting back in the '80's so my body expects an occasional rest from digesting food. The longest I ever did was 10 days--you can not believe the energy you have past the 3rd day. That is why I was so amazed--in Rieki, the gentleman who started it, fasted for 21 days....Yowie! TSunduram does not seem like the eyebrow raising type--smile.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-21 9:45 AM (#64919 - in reply to #62876)

Good Morning Beautiful People, I used to struggle with savasana, now I love it, even when I'm faking it. Enjoy today, Shelly
ystan
Posted 2006-09-21 9:57 AM (#64920 - in reply to #64915)

Judamom, on the “glutton” thing, I was just been playful, trying to poke at TSSundaram so he may post more than he is now. He has not produce his daily log/journal as promised. On ohm, I love doing 3 to 5 ohms at the beginning and end of class, where the students ohm together, it is a soulful choir where everybody sing with their full lung, sitting in this beautiful sound, allowing the “M” to resonate in my spine, the experience is awesome. But I’m not sure what will happen if all continues for 108 times JJ Wishing everyone good health, good energy, and have fun. Namaste.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)