YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Normal or Not? Help!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

sbrunton
Posted 2006-08-22 11:08 AM (#62377)
Subject: Normal or Not? Help!

My last normal af was July 18. I have been on birth control for about 5yrs and I know that different meds can effects birth control. I was put on antibiotics two days after my period ended for two weeks. My hubby's birthday was in July so we had our far share of fun that month into August which is my birthday. We used the pull out method since I was on the antibiotics but I know that's not a 100%. On August 7 I started to have af cramping which I thought was weird cause I have NEVER had that so far ahead of my af. The cramping lasted on and off from there. August 13 I had spotting like a brownish discharge (only when I wiped Sorry). What I thought was my period came a day late on August 16 (My Birthday) but only lasted a day and a half. It never got heavy alot lighter and darker brownish red color then normal. I spotted a brownish color after that. (Sorry again) I never had to use a tampon cause it was that light. I took two hpt and one didn't work and the other was (-). I put a call into my doctor but haven't received a call back. I'm still cramping on and off and bloated also swollen breast and very tired.

With all that said. What I'm asking is has anyone ever gone through this? And I'm still on the pill and don't know if I should stop taking the pill? Do you think if I am pg would the pill effect the baby?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2006-08-22 11:44 AM (#62389 - in reply to #62377)
Subject: RE: Normal or Not? Help!

Ok, first get yourself a pregnancy test as bleeding does not necessarily stop immediately on falling pregnant.

Secondly, book a doctor's appointment to get yourself checked out as any unusual bleeding should always be examined and you're going to need to see him/her anyway if your are pregnant

From memory, I think the advice on the pill is keep taking it until your doctor says otherwise but I'm sure a good medical web-site will be able to answer this whilst you wait for the doc.

Regarding the water retention.... do not be tempted to take any pills in case you are pregnant. Celery is said to be a diuretic so that may be ok but check the web first.

Fee

Posted 2006-08-22 12:40 PM (#62393 - in reply to #62377)

ok, first, antibiotics basicly make the pill ineffective for the time that they're used and about 1-2 months after they're used.

second, the pull out method is far less reliable than condoms. it's no-where near 100%--it's a method that is roughly a 50-60% method on a good day. So, it is very likely that you did have sperm present in your system.

it is possible that you had an ovulatory cycle during the time you were on antibiotics. therefore, it is possible that you are pregnant. OTC pregnancy tests may give false results because you are taking the pill and this clouds your hormonal condition. Similarly, you might have used a test that doesn't detect the earlier hormonal situations--so it wouldn't show positive for another one-two weeks depending upon when you think you might have concieved.

what you are describing--spotting--is relatively normal during pregnancy but the color does indicate that your luteal (progesterone) phase is struggling. typically during pregnancy, spotting is pink or bright red discharges. But, under the circumstances (pill use, etc), it isn't unusual for the luteal phase to be 'broken down' because it's used to external hormonal indicators (the pill) rather than self regulation (normal fertility cycles). it could also mean that you're in an aspect of miscarriage--which may result in a heavy period in 1-4 weeks--or that the body is trying to maintain a pregnancy quite valiantly.

Another aspect of this is the pill itself. although i assume you kept taking it during an antibiotic run, the pill is basicly ineffective for maintaining the conditions for birth control. This condition, btw, is a 'false cycle' with a 'false period.' With hormonal birth control, you never go through a real fertility cycle. Thus, when you come off birth control, it is common to have anovulatory cycles (no ovulation) and it is common to have a luteal phase that is completely crazy (lots of brown discharge before and after menstruation). it can take years for the cycle to settle into a normal rhythm--with healthy ovulatory and luteal phases.

So, you could be pregnant. you could be having a miscarriage. you might not be pregnant, but simply having a cycle because of the ineffectiveness of the pill during your antibiotic use--where the body isn't registering the hormones of the pill and therefore striving to balance out your system by fixing your luteal phase, the sign for which is brown spotting before, during, or after menstruation.

I highly recommend stopping the pill until you know what is going on (that can have negative effect on baby--particularly baby's long term, meaning lifetime, fertility and sexual development). I highly recommend that you get one of those early detection pregnancy kits or go to a free clinic (like planned parenthood, etc) or the emergency room for a pregnancy test.

After this, please check out the information from Laura Shanley's site about birthing--if you are pregnant or not. it will empower you. it's not about saying you have to do something this way or that, but about empowering and informing. The site is: http://www.unassistedbirth.com

Posted 2006-08-22 12:44 PM (#62394 - in reply to #62377)

oh, and fertility charting is an easy and effective method of birth control (with the same failure rate as the pill when women/couples comply with the method 100% which takes aobut 2 minutes a day) and it will encourage healthy, normal cycles.

to learn more about fertility awareness method of charting, check out Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer (gardenoffertility.com) and Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler (ovusoft.com).

this is the method that my husband and I use--with condoms and/or absintance during fertile aspects.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-22 1:30 PM (#62402 - in reply to #62394)

Expert Yogi

I think at this point you really should be discussing these issues with an MD of some sort. Probably a Gynecologist would be a great starting point. If your're not into the Western medicine, I would try Traditional Chinese Medicine with an authentic TCMD and Acupuncture to balance your body. Then after you get that aspect done, making sure you're okay and no other underlying issues are going on, then you can do this fertility charting stuff, which personally I do not do. I do however keep up with what is going on with my body on a daily basis, which is something all women should do whatever methods you choose, if at all. It doesn't have to be complicated either.

This is not something that can be handled over the internet and/or via telephone. Get to a doctor Please, for your safety and health.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-08-22 2:30 PM (#62407 - in reply to #62377)

Make an appointment with your doctor. I missed a couple of pills a couple of months ago which threw my whole system completely out of whack. I ended up having a month long period, which made me anemic, then I had to take iron to compensate. It may just take a while for your body to get back into the pill cycle.

Hell hath no fury like a woman with a month long period.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-08-23 5:40 AM (#62527 - in reply to #62407)

Ditto that one, Rachel!!!! 'Cept in my case, my gynae issues resulted in continuous bleeding for 18 months at one point!

The info on what the blood colour indicates relative to the hormones is very interesting to me as it finally explains some of the questions the medics asked me

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-08-23 5:41 AM
YogaChick
Posted 2006-08-26 12:01 PM (#62918 - in reply to #62377)

You may have taken the hp test too soon. (I think it takes SEVERAL days after your first missed period for a home test to be able to detect the hormone it's looking for.

Definitely go ahead and make an appointment with your doc. . . . could be any number of different things, including the antibiotics just throwing your system out of whack. (Don't assume you're pregnant or not pregnant based on an early hp test).

That having been said, before I knew I was pregnant, I felt A LOT like you do.

I kept feeling like I was about to start (cramping, fatigue, swollen breasts). . . . then nothing ever happened. It felt EXACTLY like PMS to me, but I never started and the feelings never went away. My symptoms were also accompanied by dizzy spells. I actually went to the doctor BEFORE I ever even missed a period. . . . we were exploring problems like blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. We didn't even do a blood test for pregnancy right away because I hadn't even missed a period yet when I started feeling funny, and we had no reason to suspect that I was pregnant.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-26 12:13 PM (#62920 - in reply to #62918)

Expert Yogi

Back in the day, there was a lot of passing out done by newly pregnant women. I remember my aunt geting sent home from work because she fainted. She was young and healthy and it wasn't looked on as really too weird. I remember worrying about it when I was pregnant as I can be a fainter myself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)