YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher training and concerns
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

funnymonkeygirl
Posted 2006-08-17 4:18 PM (#61944)
Subject: Teacher training and concerns

Hi,

I just started the first part of my Anusara teacher training. I am half way through the immersion with the intention of going all the way through the formal teacher training.

I had only taken one Anusara class before I chose to make this my teacher training. I come from a mostly Ashtanga and Iyengar background, with a little bit of everything else thrown in. I made the decision to teach after faithfully studying with one teacher for the past three years. I chose Anusara as it seemed to add an element into my practice that I felt I had been lacking. I also loved the alignment aspect of it and the emphasis on community.

I think the issue I'm having is that I'm not a flowery person. I don't like the invocation in the start of class where we are supposed to sing. It just feels weird to me. I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about the constant workshopping element of it. I am missing the flow of a class where we go all the way through. It doesn't help that on the third day of the training the teacher gave me a hard time for not knowing the answer to a question when put on the spot. He also has a tendency to say no to people when he is asked to repeat something. Not all of us are his followers nor have studied with him for years. I find myself writing notes and walking away with holes in them because I didn’t feel comfortable asking him a question. So, I'm feeling a bit lost at present. I want to feel encouraged, not self conscious...

I am wondering if I should consider finding another school to do my training where the instruction is broader and therefore gives me more options for the future. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to learn more about Anusara. I am just not entirely sure it is the kind of yoga I exclusively want to teach.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
foxydot
Posted 2006-08-18 10:52 AM (#61989 - in reply to #61944)
Subject: RE: Teacher training and conce

It sounds to me like your problem is more with your particular instructor than with Anusara. Personally, (and I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me) I feel that Anusara is a deeply spiritual practice. I find emotional openings here that I never did in an Ashtanga or general American Hatha class. I have ceased to think of my practice as "excercise" and think of it more as a physical element of my broader spiritual nature. And I don't think I'm all that flowery either. ;D (Maybe others would disagree with me there, as well!)

I think you are being given a wonderful opportunity to really get into the nuts and bolts of Anusara and decide if it is your path. If not, you can walk away from the immersion a richer person. Surely some of what you learn here will informa na enrich any other teacher training you recieve.

I am not a yoga teacher, but I do work with students on their spiritual paths, and I know from experiece that is a rare indeed that the first door opened leads to the path one stays on for a lifetime!

As for myself, I find I'm a bit jealous: the Anusara immersion I had hoped for this fall is a big maybe right now according to one instructor, but the Ashtanga teacher training is very available!
tourist
Posted 2006-08-18 9:10 PM (#62023 - in reply to #61989)

Expert Yogi

You probably don't want to hear this, but I think you need some more time studying as a student before you do a TT. I am actually stunned that anyone would allow a student into TT with such a small amount of experience in that particular style. I am not saying you don't have enough yoga experience - just that you need some time seeing if this style is really for you before you attempt to teach it. And your teacher sounds a bit hard to deal with as well.
funnymonkeygirl
Posted 2006-08-19 2:31 PM (#62076 - in reply to #61944)
Subject: RE: Teacher training and concerns

Thanks for the thoughts.

I actually really like my teacher, he just has some quirks that threw me initially. He has an obvious love of this style of yoga and he makes it truly fun to learn.

Yes, perhaps I should study Anusara more before diving in to teacher training, but I also have friends who went in with no experience studying at all and are now teaching Anusara. I will continue to take classes and to explore my options. That being said, I am grateful to have taken this immersion!

Posted 2006-08-20 8:56 AM (#62109 - in reply to #61944)

isn't it a sad thing that people can take a teacher training in a discipline with no experience in that discipline at all?

SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-20 9:11 AM (#62110 - in reply to #62109)

zoebird - 2006-08-20 8:56 AM

isn't it a sad thing that people can take a teacher training in a discipline with no experience in that discipline at all?

Freedom in plutocracy

if you pay, you can play

Ultimately, those that are true teachers will shine, and suffer no detriment from the ambition of a novice wishing to be a teacher.

I like the idea of advanced courses requiring prerequisites because that will ultimately lead to a smaller class size, however the education will need to be more expensive to allow the teacher to make it economically viable for the master.

To make knowledge affordable it is brought to the masses, luckily it is available, however progression will only occur for the select few, and classes end up being loaded with novices to make the education affordable and ultimately profitable.

Action without profit is not efficient for those seeking riches.

I'm quite satisfied being the abiding student.

Posted 2006-08-20 12:42 PM (#62129 - in reply to #61944)

i cannot explain enough how incredibly frustrating it is to walk into a classroom expecting people to have a basic working knowledge of yoga asana, only to discover someone who has never taken a yoga class before asking questions like "which one is warrior I again?" and then following up with me by saying things like "you'll never be a quality teacher. . ." and also rolling their eyes when i ask questions about the more esoteric or technical aspects of the practice.
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-08-20 1:23 PM (#62135 - in reply to #62129)

Well said, Zoe! 

I'm really surprised Kathy was not encouraged to get more Anusara experience prior to taking the immersion. When I took it, I think it was generally understood that we would all have at least some experience in the style. Certainly more than one class. I also think we were encouraged to have read the Anusara TT manual prior to the immersion (I could be wrong but I know we had all read it).

I think it's possible that Kathy might have been asking questions answered in the manual and the teacher may have chosen to move on rather than get mired in what would be introductory material for the other immersion participants.

The immersions are not TT, nor are they put out there as such. They are, however, prerequisites for TT.  All of the Anusara TT's I've looked at are extremely demanding of a student's time and dedication. I think it would behoove the student to really decide if they are committed to the style prior to pursuing the TT.

Just my opinion

Gruvemom
Posted 2006-08-20 1:27 PM (#62136 - in reply to #62135)

Zoe, just FYI, you have to have a minimum of 66 hours of Anusara Immersion prior to taking an Anusara TT.  You also have to take a number of hours of classes/ workshops w/ certified Anusara teachers.

I wonder if FMG looked at the certification requirements on www.anusara.com prior to deciding to enroll the immersion.  The requirements are pretty stiff and enough to scare off even the most dedicated people.  My teacher just got certified last year and he's been with Anusara for 5 or so years, having taught in other styles as well.

Posted 2006-08-20 1:50 PM (#62140 - in reply to #61944)

gruve:

do the teachers not necessarily screen for these things, though? i mean, i screen my apprentices, and i know them (as in, most have been with me more than two years to begin with).

a big problem in the industry in general (not necessarily anusara) is teachers making money doing teacher trainings. I have found that a number of studios in this area will allow a very inexperienced yogin to take teacher training (even a person with no experience) because they want to fill the classroom and max out on the $$$$.

i was curious if this might be 'this teacher's' perspective on the matter, as long as the students fulfill the requirements (immersions, etc).
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-08-20 4:53 PM (#62157 - in reply to #62140)

Zoe, none of the local Anusara teachers that I know would encourage anyone with only one Anusara class to do the immersion.  The teacher that I did immersions with (and with whom I've studied 2x a week for 6 months) said that he had done that once - allowed someone with very little experience to take a workshop or an immersion (my memory doesn't serve) - and the person didn't get much out of the experience, so he hasn't allowed it again.

The requirements to be an Anusara teacher (whether inspired or certified) are pretty tough - you can't just magically enroll in a one week TT and "boom" you're an Anusara teacher.  I'd be interested to know if FMG was able to just "sign up" w/out talking to the teacher first, but I don't know who she was with

Posted 2006-08-20 7:01 PM (#62173 - in reply to #61944)

i know that anusara training is extensive--certainly relatively speaking. and i do take a bit of issue to titles after a week or so of training. . .but that's a whole other conversation, isn't it? LOL

anyway, i think it's interesting to hear about the immersion thing. It makes sense that anewbie wouldn't get a lot out of it, and i know that anusara approaches things differently (i've taken a number of classes, though not regularly) than other schools too--so for my own comfort i would certainly take at least a couple months (3-4) before doing an immersion.

but, i don't really want/need anusara teacher training anyway. i have the manual (it was a gift) and i find it really enlightening, and sometimes i use a few of the techniques, but aside from that. . .well, you know.

i do respect the style though. ;)
GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-20 8:18 PM (#62178 - in reply to #61944)

funnymonkeygirl - 2006-08-17 4:18 PM

I think the issue I'm having is that I'm not a flowery person. I don't like the invocation in the start of class where we are supposed to sing. It just feels weird to me. I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about the constant workshopping element of it. I am missing the flow of a class where we go all the way through.

Yeah, I'm not all sunshine and light either, and the invocation also bothers me.

It doesn't help that on the third day of the training the teacher gave me a hard time for not knowing the answer to a question when put on the spot. He also has a tendency to say no to people when he is asked to repeat something.

I've had some very good teachers refuse to repeat themselves when they've already done so a number of times, and it's clear that people aren't paying attention. I have a co-worker who also likes to play this little game, usually about 1-2 days later he comes to me, and tells me everything I originally told him a few days ago.

Personally, (and I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me) I feel that Anusara is a deeply spiritual practice. I find emotional openings here that I never did in an Ashtanga or general American Hatha class.

Not having been to any other Anusara teacher's class, this is a bit hard for me to say. Personally I think that Shalini is the real deal, and does a very good job. Some of the other Anusara teachers haven't impressed me anywhere near as much.

I have ceased to think of my practice as "excercise" and think of it more as a physical element of my broader spiritual nature. And I don't think I'm all that flowery either.

Yeah, I think the local ashtangis tend to get caught up in gym yoga a bit too much.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-20 10:03 PM (#62184 - in reply to #62178)

Expert Yogi

I confess I reread and saw that this is an immersion prior to TT. I jumped straight to the idea it was TT. Even so....everything you all said.
foxydot
Posted 2006-08-21 11:39 AM (#62232 - in reply to #61944)

I've been practicing with my primary instructor (Shalini) and with another teacher (Rosanna) for about 6 years on and off (with a big 2 years off while I dealt with some exciting character building experiences). It wasn't until I'd been practicing steadliy again for about a year that she even suggested an immersion to me. I ma now hoping she will host one locally, but that's up in the air right now, depending on interest, teacher availability, etc.

When I started thinking about the possibility of teacher training as a way to deepen my practice, I went right to Shalini and asked her what I needed to do. She said simply, "start documenting the classes you take with a Certified Anusara instructor and when you have about 100 hours, let me know." She told me that both of the studios I frequent can print out my attendance records so I could "back date" my records. I have always been an avid journaler and journal many practices, but now I document each one and make a note of what stood out for me in that class. It has been very helpful to do so, whether it leads to further training or not.

I think there are TT programs out there that are in it for the money and/or the growth of yoga (if I teach ten new teachers, 3 of them are likely to shine and deepen yoga, so by extention if I teach 100 new teachers 30 of them will shine.) I hope I don't accidentally wander into one of them. It may be selfish, but I look to deepen and blossom my own practice first, then, maybe, I can teach others to grow in a discipline I love.

Sorry, I do go on.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-21 1:42 PM (#62250 - in reply to #62232)

Expert Yogi

dot - I did a similar thing documenting my practice at home. I figured if I ever needed it for some potential future TT I would have it and it would be good for me anyway. I really never dreamed it would all happen, but it did And yes, I still find it useful to be able to look back in my little books and see what I was doing way back then.
YogaGuy
Posted 2006-08-21 11:23 PM (#62319 - in reply to #61944)

You might want to go here and see what it takes to be a certified anusara teacher
http://anusara.com/?pagerequested=anusara_curriculum

As I understand it, you must have taken a certain amount of Immersion hours before embarking on an initial 200hour Anusara training. Even then the 200hr Anuara training does NOT make you a "certified" Anusara teacher. See the above link to see what it takes to be a Certified Anusara teacher. I understand that it takes a few years.

They require everyone to take a certain number of immersion hours so that you go into the TT with a bare minimum of knowledge in the Anusara system. Furthermore, the process will hopefully allow people to get a taste of what a TT might be like to decide whether they would like to go deeper. It is designed to avoid exactly the problems you people are discussing. Furthermore, as in the case of funnymonkey, it allows her to realize that a TT might not be right for her or it might not be right with that particular instructor.

MrD
Posted 2006-08-22 4:45 PM (#62430 - in reply to #61944)

Here is a link to the more complete requriements.

http://anusara.com/?pagerequested=certification_requirements

Anusara teacher training requires you to teach and supposedly by extension be certified in another type of yoga before you can certify in Anusara
MrD
Posted 2006-08-22 4:48 PM (#62432 - in reply to #61944)
Subject: RE: Immersion.

My first exposure to Anusara was through an immersion weekend retreat. I would have to say that if I hadn't been alreasy studying yoga for a couple of years I would have been completely lost. I did some more reading and another year attended a couple more workshops. Unfortunately the closest Anusara studio is quite a ways away and not acceptible under todays gas prices for regular visits.

It's the first classes I've been to that studied yoga philosophy during the workship. They've all been a good learning experience, and a lot of fun.

But then if I had to I could ask questions.
funnymonkeygirl
Posted 2006-08-25 2:35 AM (#62834 - in reply to #61944)

Well, I made it through the immersion and it was amazing...

I have to say that my instructor was wonderful and I appreciate the fact that he took the time to watch me and work with me before making the decision to accept me into the teacher training. I will start the techer training in the Fall!

Most of the people doing the immersion had been at this studio for quite some time. There were a few of us who were new there and I noticed that in some ways we took more in. I did not feel out of my league or at a great disadvantage. Yes, I probably had to work harder, but I think that can be an advantage. I have an appetite to learn more now and I am determined to get as much as I can out of this and do so without trying to "get" anywhere. I am more than willing to do the work to get my hours and perhaps one day my certification.

It's all about the journey. And at 40 (and totally loving it at that) I feel good about the fact that I have the ability to embark on a new one...

Edited by funnymonkeygirl 2006-08-25 2:40 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-08-26 11:15 AM (#62910 - in reply to #62834)

Expert Yogi

Kathy - I have tried to post his at least 3 times so here goes one more try and a prayer to the message board gods I started yoga just a little into my 40's as well and I think it was perfect timing. It helped build my confidence and my image of myself for mving into this stage of my life. Soon to be 51 and very happy with my life as a yoga student and teacher. Enjoy!
Tashi
Posted 2006-08-26 6:51 PM (#62941 - in reply to #62910)

Great encouragement Tourist..

Yoga is the best journey!

babybackbend
Posted 2006-10-26 12:55 PM (#68241 - in reply to #61944)

Hi everyone

I totally love the way yoga is taught in anusara yoga. It helped in my practice tremendously (I am only a year old yogini). I have this dream that one day I will be able to train under John Friend and be certified as an anusara teacher eventually.

funnymonkeygirl, yes, the invocation at the beginning at the start was weird for me in the anusara class when I first started. But not anymore. I just take it as my way of being grateful for whatever I have ( yeah, I do not really feel the true meaning of the invocation... yet... )

maybe you are just not connected to the teacher... maybe you should find a time to talk to him cn this and how you felt. How about your classmates? Maybe you can discuss the questions you have with them and approach the teacher together?

just my 2 cents
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)