YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missing my period
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Riz
Posted 2006-08-12 12:33 AM (#61581)
Subject: Missing my period

My periods have been very unregular for quite a long time, but now when I haven't had any for some months I'm starting to get worried. I'm not pregnant so it must be something else. I used to dance 6 times a week sometimes many hours a day, so I think it has somethin to do with too much exercise. But I'm now on vacation and resting (I still practise yoga). I have also tried to put more fats in my diet because before I ate almost no fat at all. I have been on this new diet ( I also try to eat more calories than before) for two weeks now and I hope I get my periods soon. Do you think I'm doing the right thing? I'm planning to see a doctor, but I would like to have some opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-08-12 3:32 PM (#61590 - in reply to #61581)
Subject: RE: Missing my period

Expert Yogi

Hi Riz - over exercising and under eating is the classic cause of missed periods. How much yoga are you doing? What kind? I would suggest a 100% restorative practice for a month or so. If you are on vacation, you are still not in your "normal" life so don't expect big changes. Many of us have unusual things happen to our cycles while on vacation - it is restful, but still has its own sort of stress - not the same water, food, hours of work/sleep etc. Do see a doctor but you may have to wait a month or so to see changes. Take care of yourself!
Riz
Posted 2006-08-12 11:17 PM (#61614 - in reply to #61581)

Thanks for yuor reply tourist ! I do ashtanga yoga 4 times a week. As I already said I have made these changes in my life only a couple of weeks ago so I didn't expected any miracles to happen right away. But I feel good when I know I do the best I can right now to help my problem.
Nick
Posted 2006-08-13 2:25 AM (#61627 - in reply to #61614)

Hi Riz,
You might want to do a websearch on the 'female athlete triad,' this is a range of symptoms which can affect females who exercise, and it seems that women who do dance, gymnastics, and yoga, may be particularly at risk-body consciousness being what it is.
The triad involves disordered eating, osteoporosis, and ammenorreah (absence of periods).
There's lots of good stuff on the internet about it, but I would advise seeking medical help-missed periods can be a sign of something serious, best to get it seen to.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-08-13 1:14 PM (#61660 - in reply to #61627)

Expert Yogi

Riz - try this series a couple of times per week:http://www.yogacircle.com/asana_menses.html
Riz
Posted 2006-08-14 2:25 AM (#61683 - in reply to #61581)

I did a bit reasarch on the net and there is really a loat of stuff to read. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I'm a bit nerves because I don't know what they are going to do. I have never had a pelvic exam before and I think it doesn't sound so nice
Thanks for the asanas tourist. I'm going to try them.
dhyana
Posted 2006-11-01 7:17 AM (#68648 - in reply to #61581)

hey,
I just found this site today and registered, too. I guess you have solved your "problem" since I see u have stopped writing on this theme,.. but I still feel like writing to let you and all the other women interested know that there are lots of theories saying that a perfectly healthy woman does not hae any menstrual blood going to waste. kindda like what happened to you. you said u practised yoga a lot,... I am not familiar with ashtanga yoga, but with hatha yoga and meditation...and I know that yoga techniques help a lot in transforming the menstrual blood into energy and then the same techniques help u sublimate this energy into higher levels of your beeing and use it as such, as mental, emotional or whatever energy u need at the time.
there is a book on this issue of healthy women with no periods, it is called "physiological enigma of woman" and it is written by doctor raymond bernard.
so, what u had really was not a problem, but a state to wich I am trying to get, too. so far I have managed to get my period from about 5, 6 days to 2 days, and I am trying to prolongue the period in between 2 periods right now....
try and see if u can find the doctor's book and look into it cause it is very interesting and u feel u can do much more things when u no longer need to take care of your period's problems...
best of luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)