YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anatomy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2006-08-08 12:05 PM (#61229)
Subject: anatomy

Extreme Veteran

i'm curious about the hamstring/hip/lower back area. when i'm in a reclining position (supta padangusthasana) i have a good range of motion and my hamstrings are not that tight or at least the teachers i've seen says so (when my back is indeed FLAT with upper body perpendicular to lower body i'm not getting any stretch at all in the hamstrings). the problem is when i do seated forward bends like janu sirsasana. if i try to use a straight back, i get an "S" curve where my lower back is still rounded but my upper back and chest is concave (i pulled my lower back muscle too). what's going on here? is it tight hips, tight hamstrings, weak lower back muscles, weak upper back muscles??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-09 3:39 AM (#61265 - in reply to #61229)
Subject: RE: anatomy

This is a question better answered by Nick.
If you offer up some additional information perhaps we'll make better headway.

Are you using a belt in Supta Padangusthasana? Is the other or down leg bent or straight?
And at what angle is the up leg relative to the torso (which should be supine)?

By straight back are you refering to a neutral spine? The back is never actually straight, right. Janu Sirsasana might not be the best indicator for diagnoses since it requires both a twist and forward bend. And when you refer to upper body perperndicular to lower body are you referring to something along the lines of Dandasana?

Is there another pose we can use besides Janu Sirsasana please??

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-09 3:40 AM
fechter03
Posted 2006-08-09 10:36 AM (#61291 - in reply to #61265)

Extreme Veteran

purnayoga - 2006-08-09 3:39 AM
Are you using a belt in Supta Padangusthasana? Is the other or down leg bent or straight?
And at what angle is the up leg relative to the torso (which should be supine)?

yeah, i'm using a belt. i am able to get a stretch past perpendicular, i.e. i am close to being able to do it without the strap.
By straight back are you refering to a neutral spine? The back is never actually straight, right. Janu Sirsasana might not be the best indicator for diagnoses since it requires both a twist and forward bend.

hmmm...not sure about this one.
And when you refer to upper body perperndicular to lower body are you referring to something along the lines of Dandasana?
yeah, something like that.
Nick
Posted 2006-08-10 4:13 AM (#61341 - in reply to #61229)

Hi Fechter,
It is quite common for people to feel like they have more flexibility in the hamstrings when lying down-i think this is because, firstly, the back muscles are more relaxed than when sitting, and secondly, it is easier to tilt the pelvis when lying down-also , you may not be so aware of any slight bend in the knee, because you havent got the floor behind the knee. When a therapist measures hamstring length, they are very carful to immobolize the back, pelvis, and knee, so that true hamstring length is recorded, rather than the patient merely flattening the back, tiliting the pelvis or bending the knee.
Perhaps the easiest way to answer your question is by saying that humans tend to use economy of effort when they move-because it is easier to round the spine than flexing the pelvis, which would stretch the hamstrings much more (notoriously tight muscles), then most people would opt for rounding the back. You can see this happen when many people try to lift something from the floor-bad lifting technique is when the back rounds and the hips stay extended-good lifting technique is when we bend at the ankle, knee and hip, instead of the spine.
If you think about it, in many forward bends, we are taking hold of the feet as though we are lifting something from the floor-so potentially a foward bend with a rounded back could damage the spine by compressing the front of the intervetebral disc, causing disc herniation or damage to the vertebral body. In essence, therefore, learning to do a good forward bend is essentially learning good lifting technique-one reason why it is not good to learn to extend the knees to quickly for beginners, and why it is a good idea for even advanced students to warm up with the knees slightly bent, specially first thing in the morning.
Hope this makes sense, complain if it doesn't
Nick
fechter03
Posted 2006-08-10 11:34 AM (#61370 - in reply to #61229)

Extreme Veteran

thanks nick... makes sense.

potentially stupid question but, can an improper backbend cause herniation the same way or is it only caused by frontal compression?

Edited by fechter03 2006-08-10 11:37 AM
Nick
Posted 2006-08-10 12:04 PM (#61372 - in reply to #61370)

Hi Fechter,
Good question-because a backbend extends the spine and compresses the facet joints (synovial joints on the back of the spine), and also compresses the disc so that fluid within the disc is squeezed forwards, I would predict that disc herniation proper would not occur. But there are all sorts of other things-Schnorls nodes, which is pitting of the vertebral body caused by the excessive compression of the discs, are something I would expect to find in the spine of someone who had been practicing yoga 'badly' for any length of time. It would be interesting to lok at the spines of people who have practiced yoga, but you will appreciate, very difficult to do! Also not much good telling a dead person that they should have done yoga differently
I would guess that when a backbend hurts, it is perhaps due to facet joint compression, causing irritated nerves to step up their output, resulting in pain. It is often the people with existing back problems who are the most likely to complain of pain when we do backbends in class. This points to a continueing pathology which has disposed the spine to sensitivity when they attempt to extend their spines. You wil also often see the same people go into a child pose between each backbend, as they try to separate the facet joints which have been excessively compressed during the backbend-it's a giveaway!
You will also often find that the erector spinae muscles are tight in these people, and this will add to the compression of the facet joints-like tightening the string on an archer's bow, the curve of the back will increase as the muscles are shortened. So there may also be pain from the irritation of these muscles.
There may also be a problem with squeezing the spinal nerves as they exit the spine through holes that are called 'intervertebral foramina.' Extending the spine may cause the foramina's circumference to reduce-what happens then is under investigation, but I believe that the neuronal pool that is responsible for that region of the spine is fed fake information about spinal position and then aligns the spine towards what the pool believes is good posture, but has been given the wrong map with which to find good posture-so the spine is held in bad posture, which then causes pain for various reasons. Chiropractic and osteopathic adjustments, are, in my humble opinion, most likely to be successful if they succeed in tuning the neuromal pool so that it sned the correct message to align the spine. The same goes for yoga, again, in my humble opinion.
Nick
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-10 1:59 PM (#61385 - in reply to #61229)

find a publisher, Nick.

I mean you gotta get a book deal goin' on.
Nick
Posted 2006-08-10 6:13 PM (#61418 - in reply to #61385)

Hi Steven,
You are so right-am in the process of completing an initial chapter to send off, have completed all the other chapters, but they need to be clarified and illustrated. Not sure how much time this will take, but I hope the end product will be worth it. I take the view that For us to succeed in our yoga practice, we would ideally take a Russian approach to training their ahtletes, where the athlete becomes an expert at every aspect of his/her body which could enhance their ability/performance/health. I therefore hope that the book will be useful to both teachers and students, and wil help both to become expert in alignment and techniques which may serve to preserve the ideal of good posture. In this way, I hope to place the emphasis on the student's understanding, so that they can aim more successfully towards an ideal posture or movement.
This goes against what people are telling me, in that I should be more specific in who I am aiming the book at, but I believe that this will help students understand what their teachers are telling them, and help teachers understand what they are telling their students-hopefully this will all work out, I'll keep you posted
Nick
loli
Posted 2006-10-08 4:24 AM (#66612 - in reply to #61229)

Nick, you're book sounds just like the one I am constantly looking for. Please put my name down for one.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-08 6:50 AM (#66613 - in reply to #66612)

Hey there,
Sure but don't hold your breath-two lifetimes at least!!
Nick
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-11-23 12:28 AM (#69960 - in reply to #66613)

Hi Nick
I cannot wait to see your book.

Where do you teach in England?

I told Kofi I met you here, but I forgot to memorize your last name. Next time I see him, I 'll say hi for you, yes? BTW, you know he's putting together a yoga festival celebrating Iyengar? check it out www.yogacharya.com, or www.yogacharya.org

zzzulu
Nick
Posted 2006-11-23 2:40 AM (#69962 - in reply to #69960)

Hi Zzulu,
I'm not sure if he would remember my name either-what he will remember is the advanced class in the afternoon on cowley road-I was the only man-sorry, that's even harder than remembering my surname-but i imagine it would jog his memory-I think yoga teachers might rememeber by associating stuff with their classes Wil check out kofi's festival-was he well?

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)