YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asanas against alergy ?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

kristi
Posted 2006-08-05 3:35 PM (#61101)
Subject: Asanas against alergy ?

Veteran

Are there any specific asanas or sequence of asanas recommended against alergy ?
I mean simple skin alergy (NOT asthma which is "deeper").
And further (I am asking just in case): could it ever maybe happen that a skin alergy may appear caused by a regularly excessive hatha yoga practice ? By long stayings in shoulderstand maybe ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-05 8:07 PM (#61117 - in reply to #61101)
Subject: RE: Asanas against alergy ?

It will be interesting to have the board community weigh in on this.
While I am not aware of any sequences for "simple skin alergies" I am aware that the nervous system ends at the skin. So it's entirely possible a certain sort of asana practice might support a better relationship between the start and end of your nervous system.

What sort of practice do you have now? What is it's pace and what poses are you typically doing, in which order? It might be a matter of changing what you are currently doing.

Also your diet. What are you eating/not eating? How are you eating? At home, on the road, etcetera. More info please!

As for skin iritations and shoulder stand, the only relevant info I can offer is that persons with latex alergies may react to some mats as they do contain some laex. There are latex-free mats and if you're suspicious about your alergy track one down and use it exclusively to see.

Hope this helps you. If you return with more info "we" will try and work it out.

kristi - 2006-08-05 12:35 PM

Are there any specific asanas or sequence of asanas recommended against alergy ?
I mean simple skin alergy (NOT asthma which is "deeper").
And further (I am asking just in case): could it ever maybe happen that a skin alergy may appear caused by a regularly excessive hatha yoga practice ? By long stayings in shoulderstand maybe ?

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-05 8:08 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-05 9:44 PM (#61120 - in reply to #61101)

Not an alergy, but one of the hard core local yoginis claims that yoga help cure her excema. She's got a pretty strickly vegan diet, which may or may not have also had some to do with it. I can tell you as a lot time suffer of adult acne that yoga does not seem to effect it in any way what so ever.
kristi
Posted 2006-08-06 5:01 AM (#61137 - in reply to #61101)

Veteran

YES !! could be that mat !! From the first moment I bought it, I didn’t like it’s smell !

My hatha yoga practice is the common Iyengar everyday sequence (handstand -standing postures-relaxation-one day seated forward bends, one day backward bends- 10 to 15 minutes shoulderstand- savasana) And I have only seen benefits from this practice and of coarse benefits also to the general nervous system and also very clearly to the skin.
But then last spring this allergy appeared first time in my life, I “experimented” with what I am eating, it does not come from any food, but I remember that the first months it had appeared it was starting with itching of the arms and the front part of the shoulders while I was enjoying my shoulderstand…
Having read how the lymph system is influenced by yoga, I got a little bit frightened and first time after 20 years I went for a detailed blood test, where everything was O.K. except of one specific indication in the blood which shows that indeed I have an strong allergy against a substance. So I’ll get rid of that mat for a while and see… THANKS A LOT !!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-07 11:05 AM (#61187 - in reply to #61101)

Kristi, it makes sense that if your allergic to latex you wouldn't like the smell of it. People who are allergic to shell fish usually say the same thing. I hope you found the solution to your problem.

Posted 2006-08-09 4:29 AM (#61270 - in reply to #61137)

The lymphatic system is a system without a pump. It is influneced by action or movement. This applies, obviously, to yoga but not exclusively to yoga. No panic necessary.

Anything else going on in your life around the time of this "rash"?
You were basically aggitated while upside down. So I'm curious about other upsidedowns in your off-the-mat life.

I get the basic idea behind your practice. You said handstand. Did you mean headstand?
It's not relevant to this topic really I was just curious.

kristi - 2006-08-05 2:01 AM

YES !! could be that mat !! From the first moment I bought it, I didn’t like it’s smell !

My hatha yoga practice is the common Iyengar everyday sequence (handstand -standing postures-relaxation-one day seated forward bends, one day backward bends- 10 to 15 minutes shoulderstand- savasana) And I have only seen benefits from this practice and of coarse benefits also to the general nervous system and also very clearly to the skin.
But then last spring this allergy appeared first time in my life, I “experimented” with what I am eating, it does not come from any food, but I remember that the first months it had appeared it was starting with itching of the arms and the front part of the shoulders while I was enjoying my shoulderstand…
Having read how the lymph system is influenced by yoga, I got a little bit frightened and first time after 20 years I went for a detailed blood test, where everything was O.K. except of one specific indication in the blood which shows that indeed I have an strong allergy against a substance. So I’ll get rid of that mat for a while and see… THANKS A LOT !!
Orbilia
Posted 2006-08-09 5:21 AM (#61272 - in reply to #61270)

Acupuncture can do amazing things for you allergy-wise.

Fee
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-08-09 3:29 PM (#61315 - in reply to #61101)

I have heard of skin irritations (NOT allergies) occurring as a result of (usually) Bikram yoga practice, simply because sweating a lot can cause problems for your skin. If you are doing a very sweaty practice and then a long shoulderstand, it's possible your shoulder skin could be affected this way. I think the usual recommendations are to shower immediately afterward, and to wear wicking/fast-drying clothing. Also wouldn't hurt to towel the sweat off during the practice.
kristi
Posted 2006-08-10 4:53 AM (#61342 - in reply to #61101)

Veteran

Thanks everybody. I just went to my homoeopathist and he gave me a simple treatment for this allergy. Of coarse there is no panic purnayoga ! It was just a good chance to finally go do a blood test after 20 years… And indeed this allergy came after a hard and stressed winter and while simultaneously a very “wild” spring, in terms of nature/atmosphere/air, was starting. As my homoeopathist told me, he had loooots of allergies to cure this spring. And I think that finally it had nothing to do with the mat, because I saw no difference these last 3 days that I stopped using it , and also, at least for me, it doesn’t have to do with sweating, because I don’t’ sweat that much. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the itching was starting while I was doing my shoulderstand …?
Since it was proved that it is not something serious having to do with a problem of the lymph system, I don’t care so much, it will pass with time.

And also … (just an interesting thing I read) :
One of the theories of homoeopathy (which by the way has it’s routs in my country, invented by Hippocrates), is that skin allergies are the most “healthy” type of allergies because the reaction is done through the most “outside” and less useful part of the body, which is the skin. The opposite applies to other more “inner” allergies, like asthma, etc. They affect more crucial parts of the body. And this is the reason why we shouldn’t try to “suppress” a skin allergy with all those antiistamic pills etc, because we “force” our system to react through a more crucial part of the body.
thanks again for the interest !
kr
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)