YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To Teachers:
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

ollie
Posted 2006-07-31 10:35 PM (#60604)
Subject: To Teachers:

Question: today, I took a class with a substitute teacher (who will be here for a week). I've talked to her in the past very briefly and taken a couple of her classes.

She knows that I attend 4 classes a week and which ones.

Today, I didn't like her class at all (she used stretch bands for most of the yoga poses). When I left, she smiled and asked "see you tomorrow" and I tersley replied "no" and left; she gave me an affected "look of surprise".

In a similar situation, how would you want a student to answer you?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sirensong2
Posted 2006-07-31 11:56 PM (#60609 - in reply to #60604)
Subject: RE: To Teachers:

If you were reeally terse, i'd bet she's wondering if she offended or hurt you in some way. Constructive feedback and/or questions are always helpful. ( i don't teach adult yoga, but I do teach )

Posted 2006-08-01 1:05 AM (#60615 - in reply to #60604)

Listen let's outline this one the way it is.

You leaked all over this poor sub. You don't like her class? Okay. Fine. But to be terse implies strong feelings. And you let them out on her with your reply. Not your "no" but your tone which is more important. But you already know this, I suspect.

I've been in classes I didn't care for. And I simply did not return. Which you will obviously do as well, not return, right?

I mean what is the truth for you around this class? How about this for example "well I found myself very aggitated and discovered I'm very attached to my regular teacher(s) and the work with the bands really threw me. So I think this isn't exactly the right fit for me."

Teachers really shouldn't ask students if they're returning to class (unless ther's a very strong relationship and even then it's simply not necessary). And this teacher will not learn the asking lesson unless you share your truth with her, which if well trained, she should comprehend very deeply from a Satya standpoint.

Tell the compassionate truth.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-08-01 5:37 AM (#60624 - in reply to #60604)

I think that it was unecessary to answer like that - she was probably just being friendly by asking if you were coming back tomorrow, not trying to get you to come back or anything.

I'd be pretty upset if it was me, but I'd get over it.

I guess it depends on how you feel about it - if you feel you were a bit harsh, go back and apologise, and as said above provide constructive crticism next time.

ollie
Posted 2006-08-01 6:26 AM (#60631 - in reply to #60604)

Thanks for the feedback.

Ironically, this "sub" actually teaches full time, but she does "yoga-laties" mostly (exercise class that uses yoga poses) and is just filling in.

Posted 2006-08-01 7:29 AM (#60633 - in reply to #60631)

I try to value each facet of what different teachers bring; it's hard often though. My hand to God, I want feedback, I ask for feedback, I crave feedback when I teach and that's hard to get as well. WHen I come across a teacher that's not offering what I really like, and they don't seem to want to communicate, I just let it go and don't offer my opinion. I will pass it on the that particular venue's owner/boss though just to let them know it wasn't my thing particularly but not criticizing the particular instructor (unless he/she was really bad, undisciplined or freaking dangerous). In the case of your stretchband class, while I wouldn't like practicing that way either, I would use it as an opportunity to learn the props uses in case I encountered folks who did want or need to use them.

Posted 2006-08-01 7:42 AM (#60635 - in reply to #60604)

i think that, for me, it's about latitude. A new student or someone who is relatively new to yoga (3-5 years) is still usually not at the point where they've moved beyond asana into the aspects where they're observing reactions and thought patterns, and then acting from a place of clarity.

i know that this is a process. i know that most people are beginning this process with the body. it is easy to observe whether or not your hamstrings are tight and radically accept that you cannot push into a pose without injury, and that this is how it is 'right now.' it is much more difficult to recognize deep-seated behavoiral patterns (thought patterns are an aspect of this) that simply seem like 'the way we behave' and 'the way that things are.'

so, to 'recieve' some of these behavoiral patterns and reactions from clients is not unusual. it is also appropriate to a certain degree, because if i'm continually leading the class into the space where they are having strong behavoiral or emotional reactions, it gives them the opportunity to observe these reactions mindfully. it is a launch point for introducing the deeper aspects of yoga practice.

now, i do not know if 'this teacher' is at all like me. considering the way my peers around here respond to me, i would say that she is likely not, but you never know. if she is, then she'll take the response as both constructive criticism and your personal ego-response. if she isn't, then she might be hurt or obcess about it--but that's really on her, she's responsible for her reaction.

now that you have observed your process and reaction, it gives you the opportunity to reflect on what that emotional and behavoiral pattern was, whether or not it was appropriate, and how to approach, comprehend, and change (if necessary) that behavoiral pattern and it's action into right thought and action.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-01 10:26 AM (#60671 - in reply to #60635)

Expert Yogi

There were a couple of additional options here - one is the social fib, "oh, I have something I have to do tomorrow. Sorry I'll miss class!" or direct but kind, "gee, will you be doing the stretch band work again? It really is not my favourite," which would give her a chance to respond. Sounds like you were pretty po'd (as I would be, frankly) and not feeling inclined toward that sort of response. It seems your best choice now is to reflect and wait for your own teacher to come back.

Oh, and I am willing to bet the "see you tomorrow" was just an automatic, casual thing. I find that when students are leaving class and I am occupied with others questions and/or cleaning up, I do sometimes go with the "canned" response.
ollie
Posted 2006-08-01 11:02 AM (#60675 - in reply to #60604)

Thanks again to everyone.

Here is what happened: I showed up for the 6 am class anyway and it was an excellent one! We did standing frog (where you squat while staying up on your toes), awkward pose, "upavista konasana" (which is one of my weakest poses) and some stuff off of the balance bar.

I just had a bad attitude yesterday; the reason I went today is that I reminded myself that I liked many of her previous classes.

Afterwards, I went and thanked her for giving an excellent class.

This lady is one of those creative types; I love some of her creations and I don't like some of them.

You see it in her clothes as well; tight black spandex one day, super baggy white the next, never the same outfit twice in a given month.

SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-01 11:11 AM (#60676 - in reply to #60675)

ollie - 2006-08-01 11:02 AM

I just had a bad attitude yesterday; the reason I went today is that I reminded myself that I liked many of her previous classes.

Admission is the first step to recovery

or is it submission, or acceptance

Edited by SCThornley 2006-08-01 11:12 AM
YogaChick
Posted 2006-08-01 4:12 PM (#60692 - in reply to #60675)

One thing we should all keep in mind with a sub, even if you don't particularly enjoy the class, is that they are taking time out of their already busy schedule to help out. If no instructor is willing to do that, your class would just be cancelled any time your regular instructor couldn't be there.

The next time you find yourself frustrated with a substitute, take a moment to at least be thankful for their time and effort.

I know when I go in to sub a class that there will be some people who may not care for my style. You develop a "thick skin" as a teacher, because you just can't please everyone. It's always nice when people do mention that they enjoyed the class, but it is even nicer when someone says, "thank you for your time today."
sirensong2
Posted 2006-08-01 4:26 PM (#60695 - in reply to #60676)

exactly! admission, submission, and acceptance. uh, I guess that's the 1st 3 steps...

and yeah, what ZB said.

Posted 2006-08-01 4:43 PM (#60699 - in reply to #60604)

I was really aggravated last time this happened to me because it was an awful class and even though I didn't say anything I'm sure the teacher picked up on it. But I realized after awhile I wasn't frustrated at her, I was frustrated at the owner of the studio who doesn't seem to think it's important to let people know about subs. (Then I was frustrated at myself for being so un-yogic about the whole thing. ) If I know there's a sub I will go if it's someone I like or maybe for someone new I haven't tried, either way it's my choice. But if I already know I'm not fond of the subs classes I'd just prefer to go to some other class I will like.

Edited by aystam 2006-08-01 4:48 PM
ollie
Posted 2006-08-01 5:43 PM (#60711 - in reply to #60692)

YogaChick - 2006-08-01 3:12 PM

It's always nice when people do mention that they enjoyed the class, but it is even nicer when someone says, "thank you for your time today."

Yes! That is something I can ALWAYS say honestly. Thank you! You are a wise woman.
ollie
Posted 2006-08-02 10:19 PM (#60853 - in reply to #60604)

ps to the last: today, this teacher brought me a sack of apples. No, they weren't poisioned.

So I guess she wasn't too put off by me.

Posted 2006-08-02 11:47 PM (#60856 - in reply to #60699)

This is really a fascinating dilemna. I say that because I share the perspective and I'm a teacher. So i go to a particular class where I've checked the teacher out, know their background, and know their level of safety. Then it's someone else.

Now if, and I stress "if", the studio is consistent in it's hiring; that is to say their values are reflected in their teachers AND their values coincide with mine, then I con't care about the sub. I know I'm getting a well trained yoga professional who will mentor my well being.

Most studios are not this way.(I anticipate an appearance from Tourist on this one). Even the Iyengar studios where there can be a real divergence among staffers. I'm not suggesting a homogenous staff of automatons but just a thread of consistency.

aystam - 2006-08-01 1:43 PM

I was really aggravated last time this happened to me because it was an awful class and even though I didn't say anything I'm sure the teacher picked up on it. But I realized after awhile I wasn't frustrated at her, I was frustrated at the owner of the studio who doesn't seem to think it's important to let people know about subs. (Then I was frustrated at myself for being so un-yogic about the whole thing. ) If I know there's a sub I will go if it's someone I like or maybe for someone new I haven't tried, either way it's my choice. But if I already know I'm not fond of the subs classes I'd just prefer to go to some other class I will like.
ollie
Posted 2006-08-03 10:41 AM (#60892 - in reply to #60856)

purnayoga - 2006-08-02 10:47 PM

Most studios are not this way.(I anticipate an appearance from Tourist on this one). Even the Iyengar studios where there can be a real divergence among staffers. I'm not suggesting a homogenous staff of automatons but just a thread of consistency.

Our problem: this is the park district. It is difficult for the staff to find teachers; at least ones that show up consistently. So, they go by who shows up. Peoria is not exactly a new-agish sort of place (I know, yoga is really ancient...but..never mind)

The lady I had talked about is mostly a pilates/yogalaties instructor, and she goes by what she knows. Last night was a "101 things you can do with a yoga block" session; today was a "yoga on the exercise ball" session.

I learned stuff but didn't improve on my standard yoga asanas.

And each time, I thanked her for her time and she seemed to appreciate it.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-03 11:52 AM (#60907 - in reply to #60892)

Expert Yogi

purna - I actually agree with you. In our local studios (all dedicated Iyengar studios) you can get a class with a 35 year senior teacher or a brand new trainee just newly allowed to begin teaching. The odds are pretty good that you yourself would not get a trainee because we are nto allowed to teach above Level I at that point, but new students could. New students probably won't get a senior teacher, but there are a few who teach Level I so it is not impossible. I also think many people have the impression that Iyengar teachers are cookie cutter clones, which we are very much not. BUT - you do know that anyone who is teaching has a certain level of training and (perhaps more importantly) a level of personal practice behind them, as well as a deep level of support from their own mentor all the way back to BKS.

ollie - I guess for many you just have to say Peoria and we get a picture of it not being very new-agey

Posted 2006-08-03 1:34 PM (#60915 - in reply to #60604)

even among very experienced teachers who teach in the same school (meaning, iyengar, kripallu, whatever), you have teacher with drasticly different styles and personal emphasis.

for example, in my area, i focus a lot on alignment--but that's not popular here. i teach 'general vinyasa' or 'free form' but many teachers teach this 'style' and come from similar training backgrounds (studied witht he same teachers) and yet i'm very different from other teachers because of my focus or emphasis in class.

so, even then, you can get drasticly different teachers.
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-04 5:19 PM (#61026 - in reply to #60604)

Expert Yogi

Zoe, I agree with you. I too am in a area where many of us are local from the same school, yet we are all so different. Like you focus on asana alignment, I do but probably not as much as you. I'm very big on the breath. I find many teachers do not follow breath throughout class (I mean a flow) I think the breath leads you right where you need to be.

Anyway, Personally I am not fond of the first sub in. Usually students are not welcoming. By second and third class I have them smiling, laughing, and breathing with me.

It's hard to sub in. But that is where I introduce myself to more.

I could be one of those teachers that are considered very progressive with class design. I'm sure it turns off some people. Just two weeks ago I had a student roll their mat up right in the middle of class. She looked disgusted. She had been coming to the class for approximately eight classes. She was having great difficulty in this class. I told her she needed a softer, gentle/restorative yoga class. I apologized and told her I would speak with the owners for a reimbursement on unused classes. I can't take it personal. That's the way it is.

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-08-04 5:20 PM

Posted 2006-08-05 2:11 AM (#61045 - in reply to #60892)

Understood. As my teacher would say, if you can do soemthing about it, make a choice, fine. If not, then enjoy it fully.

You are where you are. This is the offering. You've consented to expose yourself and your practice to unexperienced yoga instructors (if that's a term we can agree on). No surprises. You already know how it is. So it wasn't just sprung on you. This teacher was doing the best job she could based on her current wisdom. It's all she can do. The rest is on you (and me here in my issue).

ollie - 2006-08-03 7:41 AM

purnayoga - 2006-08-02 10:47 PM

Our problem: this is the park district. It is difficult for the staff to find teachers; at least ones that show up consistently. So, they go by who shows up. Peoria is not exactly a new-agish sort of place (I know, yoga is really ancient...but..never mind)

The lady I had talked about is mostly a pilates/yogalaties instructor, and she goes by what she knows. Last night was a "101 things you can do with a yoga block" session; today was a "yoga on the exercise ball" session.

I learned stuff but didn't improve on my standard yoga asanas.

And each time, I thanked her for her time and she seemed to appreciate it.

Posted 2006-08-05 2:28 AM (#61046 - in reply to #61026)

It's not a substitute teacher that's the concern for me. In fact the class I go to like clockwork on Tuesday night is often subbed when the teacher is out of town. And the other teacher is incredibly skilled. Competent. Amazing in all his own ways. The calss is wonderful. But it's not the class with the regular teacher - nor should it be.

What it should be (subbed class), as far as I am concerned, is well prepared. The asanas should only be ones the teacher knows, has done, has personal experience with. The teacher should have a mastery of language, delivery, diction. He or she should be focused for the entire class. Understand the differing levels of practitioners. Appropriately use Command language. Have an understanding of yoga philosophy, ethics, and risks. I think these things, while not a coomplete list, apply across the board no matter what "style" one teaches.

As for leaving classses, very rarely does a student roll up a mat and leave in a yoga studio. I've taken classes from about 35 teachers here in the last three years (market research) and this simply doesn't happen. But it has happened to me in a gym on at least two occasions. It's a value issue. It's why we as teachers should not teach for free. In modern society ( a misnomer for sure) price equates with value for students. When someone is paying $29 a month for gym membership they can walk out of any class they please. It's a respect issue at heart. Those same students will come in late and leave early - unless you teach them otherwise.

As a rule I do not have any dialogue with students where I utter the phrase "you need..".
It's not authentic. I don't have the slightest idea what his or her needs are. And if I want to convey that concept then it's up to me to use the same creativity I use in designing my class to craft my words. Teachers do not sacrifice their truths for students.

mishoga - 2006-08-04 2:19 PM
Anyway, Personally I am not fond of the first sub in. Usually students are not welcoming. By second and third class I have them smiling, laughing, and breathing with me.

It's hard to sub in. But that is where I introduce myself to more.

I could be one of those teachers that are considered very progressive with class design. I'm sure it turns off some people. Just two weeks ago I had a student roll their mat up right in the middle of class. She looked disgusted. She had been coming to the class for approximately eight classes. She was having great difficulty in this class. I told her she needed a softer, gentle/restorative yoga class. I apologized and told her I would speak with the owners for a reimbursement on unused classes. I can't take it personal. That's the way it is.

Mish

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-05 2:29 AM
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-05 7:43 AM (#61058 - in reply to #60604)

Expert Yogi

Purna, it's rare that someone walks out of a class, I agree. She was my only one. Unfortunately the people who work the front desk place a generic "Yoga" title on this class and it's really a strong flow class. I showed this woman modifications but she was just not happy with it. She was disrupting the class for all the other students. I can not place her above 20 others especially if she will not give. The other students were bothered by the disruptions. I don't know what she was expecting.
For eight classes I tried. I give 100% to all my students but sometimes it's not a good fit.
When I said she "needed", I actualy suggested she try a restorative yoga class. I couldn't talk much because we were smack in the middle of class, focused and she wanted to chat it up.

I agree that a teacher should be all you described but either way, from personal experience, subbin in for a first class is hard, especially when people are in their comfort zone with a fixed format. Many people do not except change very well. I find this is the case with big corporate gyms. Even more amazing is that I come in and give basic cues and they look at me like I have two heads. They have no idea what I'm talking about. I sometimes wonder what the regular teacher is doing with them in class. I never utter a negative but in my head I wonder, if these people like yoga so much why wouldn't they want to try a new class format or teacher.
Ahhhh, guess that's just me, I love trying new teachers out. I love change and stimulation.

Mish

Posted 2006-08-05 7:53 AM (#61062 - in reply to #61058)

When my teaching partner and I start a new venture, we both are at the class for the first few sessions doing kind of a tag-team teaching thing so the class is used to us--our voices, styles, touch, flow, etc. Then during the class session periods that follow, we trade off classes with just one of us teaching. Seems to work out well so far in that neither one of us is a sub really.

Posted 2006-08-05 9:10 AM (#61064 - in reply to #60604)

It is hard being a sub for classes! Now that I am training for my RYT, my group fitness instructor has called me on several occasions to sub Hot Yoga. Hard for me to do since I am training with mostly Iyengar instructors! I hate and will not say to lock the knees, period. I have a list of the poses and many of the students will chime in on the parts of the body to lock or whatever. I have done some Bikram in the past and even the Hot Yoga gives me a migraine. I only teach if no one else will step up to the plate. I always hear the whispers after class and get more thank yous than the whispers.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)