YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

music while meditating?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-07 10:06 PM (#63979 - in reply to #63970)
Subject: RE: music while meditating?

Modus.Ponens - 2006-09-07 7:33 PM

kulkarnn - 2006-09-07 12:57 PM

This confusion comes because the definition of meditation differs. For example, there are yoga circles where perfecting a pose is called meditation, and there are where relaxation is called meditation, and there are others where Kirtan is called meditation. In one particular definition of meditation, music has the greatest place, that is 'focussing on music'!

Hehe... I see.

I usualy understand meditation to mean the cultivation/abiding of/in samadhi, specialy in non buddhist circles. Cultivation of samadhi is a very specific thing in buddhism and music hinders the entrance in the first level of samadhi and the remainance there. In order to reach the first level (first jhana) you have to be quite withrawn from sensual desires and unskilfull mental qualities. Since that when you hear music you are craving for it (a sensual pleasure) I don't think it can be good.

Metta

Interesting. My senior yoga brother attended a Buddhist Meditation in an Authentic Tibetan Monestary, where they meditation to the sound of brass bowls. And, the singing bowls produce sound which facilitates their meditation. Cultivation of samadhi is NOT specific to Buddhism. Samadhi is a non Buddhist word, similar to most of the concepts they borrowed from Vedic philosophy, later showing that they are different. Without debating, using music for meditation is NOT a sesual act. The sensuality is defined by the purpose. Using an object in a meditation leads to automatic withdrawl of senses. If music is used for entertainment, then it is sensual only if the nature of entertainment is sensual, such as in pop music. But, when music is used for meditation, it is opposite. For example, when a beautiful statue of Buddha with gold and gems, and beautiful figure is worshipped in Buddhist monastery, it should be considered a devotional or meditational act, and not sensual. However, if Marilyn Munroe's picture is hanging in a dormitary room or even in a temple, it should be considered a sensual act.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-07 10:15 PM (#63981 - in reply to #59316)

Dear Metta:
I just wanted to specify my logic. I did not mean to offend you in any way. If you felt that way, I apologize.
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-07 11:30 PM (#63983 - in reply to #63979)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-07 10:06 PM

Interesting. My senior yoga brother attended a Buddhist Meditation in an Authentic Tibetan Monestary, where they meditation to the sound of brass bowls. And, the singing bowls produce sound which facilitates their meditation. Cultivation of samadhi is NOT specific to Buddhism. Samadhi is a non Buddhist word, similar to most of the concepts they borrowed from Vedic philosophy, later showing that they are different. Without debating, using music for meditation is NOT a sesual act. The sensuality is defined by the purpose. Using an object in a meditation leads to automatic withdrawl of senses. If music is used for entertainment, then it is sensual only if the nature of entertainment is sensual, such as in pop music. But, when music is used for meditation, it is opposite. For example, when a beautiful statue of Buddha with gold and gems, and beautiful figure is worshipped in Buddhist monastery, it should be considered a devotional or meditational act, and not sensual. However, if Marilyn Munroe's picture is hanging in a dormitary room or even in a temple, it should be considered a sensual act.

Yes, samadhi is a practice that existed well before the Buddha's time. As for the rest of the concepts, IMO there's a simple explanation: it wasn't borrowing, it was seeing what others had seen before with a clearer vision. Of course, this is what I believe and I respect what others believe.

Tibetan Buddhism is quite far from the original buddhism teached by Sidharta Gotama. In tibetan buddhism (as in other tantric traditions) it's encouraged to do sex as a means to arise a state of mind conductive to enlightenment _ someting that is completely out of early buddhism; in fact there's a story of a monk who was excomunicated (temporarily, I think) just for holding the view that the tuch of a women was just as the tuch of a soft pilow: I guess he tought there was nothing wrong with it as long as you didn't attached to it. I guess the Tibetan bowls could be a similar concept in both ways, but I'm not realy sure. I can imagine that it's possible to meditate on sound/music as long as you're realy free from sensual desire for that sound/music. This question is beyond my knowledge but my opinion is that if it is

1- Regular music, wether jazz, pop or indian classical music, it won't work.

2- A repetitive sound or other sounds not conceived for sensual delight it might work but there are a lot other objects that are more apropriate such as the breath.

Finaly, if the music/sound is not the object of meditation but instead the background music/sound (the situation I was originaly imagining) then I think it's defenetly a hindrance.

Metta
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-07 11:36 PM (#63984 - in reply to #63981)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-07 10:15 PM

Dear Metta:
I just wanted to specify my logic. I did not mean to offend you in any way. If you felt that way, I apologize.

No problem

I atempted to clarify this the last time but it seems I didn't explained it well: when I finish the message with "metta" it means that I am sending positive and kind toughts to that person and the others reading the topic, wishing for their hapiness (even if it's just for a fraction of a second...). Similar to finishing the message with "Best wishes". "Best wishes" is not anybody's name though . I think I will change to something diferent

Peace

Edited by Modus.Ponens 2006-09-07 11:36 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-08 9:29 AM (#64006 - in reply to #59316)

Metta: Finaly, if the music/sound is not the object of meditation but instead the background music/sound (the situation I was originaly imagining) then I think it's defenetly a hindrance.

===> I agree with that. Also, as for you previous comment on Indian Classical Music, the comment is valid only when that music is one of Entertainment style. In fact, Indian Classical Music is used for Meditation. And, Indian Classical Music finds its roots in Saamaveda, which is nothing but 'Vedas - Rigvedas, chanted in a singing style'. Breath or music or any other object will work according to the constitution of a student.That is why the great Sage Patanjali says:

Chapter 1: yathaabhimatadhyaanaadvaa... by meditation on anything felt appropriate by the meditator in terms of focussing the mind.
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-08 10:52 AM (#64018 - in reply to #64006)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-08 9:29 AM

Metta: Finaly, if the music/sound is not the object of meditation but instead the background music/sound (the situation I was originaly imagining) then I think it's defenetly a hindrance.

===> I agree with that. Also, as for you previous comment on Indian Classical Music, the comment is valid only when that music is one of Entertainment style. In fact, Indian Classical Music is used for Meditation. And, Indian Classical Music finds its roots in Saamaveda, which is nothing but 'Vedas - Rigvedas, chanted in a singing style'. Breath or music or any other object will work according to the constitution of a student.That is why the great Sage Patanjali says:

Chapter 1: yathaabhimatadhyaanaadvaa... by meditation on anything felt appropriate by the meditator in terms of focussing the mind.

Did you read my last post? My name/nickname is not metta lol .

Anyway, positions established

Peace (which is not my new nickname, it only means I'm wishing you peace )
susanchain
Posted 2006-09-25 7:01 AM (#65304 - in reply to #64018)

Any music I like is ok when I do meditation, for the music make me in good mood.
I suggest you to try these music: world music from Nonesuch Label, minimum(such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Terry Reily), tibetan music(there's some record called tibetan meditation or tibetan buddism), Glen Veles(two of his records suggested here are Handance and Rhythm of Charkas), Japanese traditional music.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-14 2:43 PM (#208633 - in reply to #59316)

Regular

I frequently listen to the music given in the link below while performing meditation.

http://www.tenmillionclicksforpeace.org/index.php/empowerment/meditations/beautiful-meditation-video-from-tony-samara
jpg
Posted 2011-06-14 3:30 PM (#208635 - in reply to #208633)

Either you are meditating or you are listening to music, unless the music itself is the focus of your meditation.

Meditation and listening to music both require your complete attention.

Dacite
Posted 2011-06-15 4:04 AM (#208648 - in reply to #208635)
Subject: Re: music while meditating?

Regular

Music and specially singing mantras or prayers before meditation prepares mind for focused meditation. However music during the meditation can truly be distracting.
redemption
Posted 2011-10-12 5:54 PM (#209358 - in reply to #59316)

I do agree that meditation hinders furthers progress in deeper state of meditation. However using meditation music to first start meditating is a great tool.

When I first started to meditate 4 years ago, I had a lot of mental chatter and thoughts to calm down. I found it very difficult to meditate. I started listening to Binaural beats in the first 5 minutes of meditation to help calm my thoughts and then move further into silent meditation.

robinbuckley
Posted 2011-12-15 2:39 AM (#209601 - in reply to #59316)

New User

Specific music can take you to a place. In fact going deep into a beautiful piece of music is meditating.
alvinsmith
Posted 2011-12-16 5:21 AM (#209626 - in reply to #59316)

yoginny - 2006-07-22 12:15 PM

does anyone else use music while meditating? i do, but i'm wondering if this is holding me back. i mean, it helps me to lessen the number of thoughts that invade my quiet, but am i using it as a crutch?

the kind of music i'm talking about is new agey, wordless, repetitive. like this: www.fitpod.com, click on Whispers of the Dharma.

i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yes it helps a lot. During my session i love to hear some unfamiliar music those soothing type of music such as classical. Just some tip don't eat a heavy meal before you meditate. This will induce sleepiness. A snack consisting of fruits will do just fine. You can also take a shower first before meditating.Wear loose cotton clothes to make you feel comfortable.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)