YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

music while meditating?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

yoginny
Posted 2006-07-22 12:15 PM (#59316)
Subject: music while meditating?

does anyone else use music while meditating? i do, but i'm wondering if this is holding me back. i mean, it helps me to lessen the number of thoughts that invade my quiet, but am i using it as a crutch?

the kind of music i'm talking about is new agey, wordless, repetitive. like this: www.fitpod.com, click on Whispers of the Dharma.

i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by yoginny 2006-07-22 12:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
judamom
Posted 2006-07-22 1:52 PM (#59329 - in reply to #59316)
Subject: RE: music while meditating?

One of the most profound meditations I ever had was with drumming music. We are all so unique. I love experimenting with it all.....no set fast rules seem to work for me very long.....so much to explore. Judamom
tourist
Posted 2006-07-22 9:55 PM (#59363 - in reply to #59329)

Expert Yogi

I think drumming (good, traditional drumming as in aboriginal or Indian) is a whole other experience. It penetrates to the core being and maybe to the heartbeat of the Universe itself.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-07-22 11:04 PM (#59367 - in reply to #59316)

I love drumming, but it's an external, not internal influence.
tourist
Posted 2006-07-23 12:19 PM (#59410 - in reply to #59367)

Expert Yogi

Intellectually I agree GJ. Drumming is external. But the vibrations are so primal, so profound and the effect so deep, I sometimes feel as though it ocmes from within. One of our philosophers can probably explain it and another can probably refute it.
ystan
Posted 2006-07-23 5:00 PM (#59449 - in reply to #59410)

Has anyone hear the sounds of the Tibetan Singing Bowls? It produces a powerful harmonic resonance when played. It can be struck like a gong or played by running the striker round the rim. My Yoga teacher uses it during relaxation and it brings me into a “higher plane”, I always felt my mind cleared and wonderfully rejuvenated after the class.

Namaste

judamom
Posted 2006-07-23 7:56 PM (#59462 - in reply to #59449)

ystan--I have owned Tibetan Singing Bowls in the past (always gave them as gifts). The very first time I ever heard one I felt my Chakra's all balance instantaneously. At that time I did not know that they have that capability--I discovered that in writing later. Explore, when you hear one again and see if you can feel your energies all balance out.........when you state "it brings me into a "higher plane", I always felt my mind cleared and wonderfully rejuvenated after class".......you could be feeling the same balancing that I felt. It is so nice when we have tools to assist us on our paths! Huh?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-07-23 9:11 PM (#59467 - in reply to #59316)

One of the local teachers was using a CD of the singing bells a while back. Very cool.
ystan
Posted 2006-07-24 5:12 PM (#59550 - in reply to #59462)

Judamom – at this moment I can only feel one of my Chakras, my heart! I’ve read about it but have had hard time feeling / visualizing them. When I practice “OM” and allow the sound to resonate along my spine, that is the closest I get to feel the energy moving through the Chakras, but not the turning of the “wheels”. Hence, I would not be able to tell what is the feeling of Chakras balance out.

However, recently, on a few occasions during my short meditation, I saw a big wheel turning. It is white, transparent, beautiful and turning at constant speed. I appreciated its beauty and let it passed.

Namaste

judamom
Posted 2006-07-24 6:14 PM (#59564 - in reply to #59550)

Ystan--if you care to explore the chakras, start by feeling them on another person. All you have to do is hold your hand about 6 inches above someone lying on their back. It may take a minute but you can start to feel heat of various degrees as you move up or down the body. There are seven obvious ones. No real need in telling you even where they are except one is at the top of the head and one is at the pelvic area and five inbetween. If you are sensitive to them it is a fun area to explore. As you learn to feel them on another person you will become familier with where they are in yourself. Just another avenue of learning what a miracle these bodies are and how to understand them better. Judamom
MrD
Posted 2006-07-24 7:52 PM (#59570 - in reply to #59316)

Hey if it helps go with it. Most of the techniques are used to help reach a good meditation stage. Many meditation things like Mantras are designed to do just that.
kristi
Posted 2006-07-25 3:35 AM (#59596 - in reply to #59316)

Veteran

Music is vibrations. Anything that has to do with vibrations resonating with our bodies is good for us, is calming us, is "cleaning" us, is somehow "showering" our body cells, like when we shake the sheets of our bed outside the window every morning. That's how I feel. Chanting the Aum is the best, the premium way to deeply feel this. I presume singing-balls were "invented" for this reason by the Thibetan monks. Also the drumming, which affects you deep inside (as tourist is rightly pointing out) is THE main and most important healling technique that shamans all over the world have been using for thousands of years.

I personaly don't like to listen to music from CDs while I practice yoga or meditation. But one kind of meditation I often like to do is to close my eyes and concentrate on the environmental music around me. There are soooo many sounds that are there, but we don't hear them : the refrigerator, the dogs barking at a distance, the cars far away in the highway, the birds, the children's voices, the whoooole of the living world around you fills your ears with joy !!
ystan
Posted 2006-07-25 5:13 AM (#59599 - in reply to #59564)

Judamom - Thanks for the tip. Come to think of it, when I channel energy to another person, it is the different charkras that I usually aim for. Now I need to go deeper and feel the vibrations. Thanks !

Namaste

ystan
Posted 2006-07-25 5:21 AM (#59601 - in reply to #59596)

Kristi - well said! Let's get into the rhythm of mother earth, and fill our hearts with joy. Namaste

judamom
Posted 2006-07-25 7:44 AM (#59611 - in reply to #59316)

I want to come along!
ystan
Posted 2006-07-26 11:43 AM (#59791 - in reply to #59564)

Judamom, today during relaxation, my Yoga teacher played a music that has the sound of bells ringing, it lasted for about 3 minutes. I felt vibrations in the air, towards the end of the music, I heard sounds of bubbles popping, and yes, the vibration is strong above my chakras (it is weaker around my 5th & 7th Chakras though). It was a wonderful experience; I felt a sense of serenity and calm after the class. Thank you for highlighting & bringing this awareness to me. I shall explore further. Namaste.
judamom
Posted 2006-07-27 8:22 AM (#59921 - in reply to #59791)

ystan--the chakra world is fascinating--another facit of our miraculous "beings". I do not want to abruptly change the subject but I found the Sutra that I thought might be helpful to you as you try to explore your 'thinking process'. This is from Patanjali Yoga Sutras and they take some "thinking time". Maybe they will assist you in clarification........{This is book III, Sutra 9. The sequence of mental states is as follows: the mind reacts to that which is seen; then follows the moment of mind control. Then ensues a moment wherein the chitta (mind stuff) responds to both these factors. Finally these pass away, and the perceiving consciousness has full sway. 10. Through the cultivation of this habit of mind there will eventuate a steadiness of spiritual perception. 11. The establishing of this habit, and the restraining of the mind from its thought-form-making tendency, results eventually in the constant power to contemplate. } Maybe this will assist you----and maybe not. I will keep looking for additional information. Also----Sutra 6 says This illumination is gradual; it is developed stage by stage. Namaste Ystan
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-27 10:34 AM (#59941 - in reply to #59316)

Is anyone using any type of visual aid? I ask because I've been looking at mandalas lately, I haven't meditated using them though. I'm amazed at their beauty, and know they are intended as meditation tools.
ystan
Posted 2006-07-27 1:43 PM (#59992 - in reply to #59921)

Judamom, I can see 11 described me exactly. My thoughts / thinking lacks control, and this is a behavior of a Monkey brain. I need to work to restrain my mind, and develop the habit of one-pointedness, and better contemplation. Thank you! Namaste.
judamom
Posted 2006-07-28 7:45 AM (#60081 - in reply to #59992)

Ystan--keep bringing your mind under control (gently)--it gets easier as you proceed. I had gentle teachers all along my path except I was the tough one to please. One day I realized I learned faster and easier if I would be a little easier on myself and stop along the way to acknowledge my accomplishments and growths. Now I automatically see how some of us are just expecting too much too fast----although a worthy goal----it will come. If we do nothing-----it will come (evolution alone will make it so). If we move slowly----it will come. If we stress ourselves out completely trying so hard---it will come. The Sutras speak of the different approaches and I will watch for that one next....just for fun. With you, your enthusiasm will get you to wonderful places and you will appreciate them so much when they arrive that you will want more. Namaste
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-06 8:57 PM (#63842 - in reply to #59316)

yoginny - 2006-07-22 12:15 PM

does anyone else use music while meditating? i do, but i'm wondering if this is holding me back. i mean, it helps me to lessen the number of thoughts that invade my quiet, but am i using it as a crutch?

the kind of music i'm talking about is new agey, wordless, repetitive. like this: www.fitpod.com, click on Whispers of the Dharma.

i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hi yoginny

There should be no music during meditation. It hinders the progress to higher levels of meditation. Music can relax you a bit and make you feel good, but that's it. Deep relaxation and tranquility of mind comes in higher levels of meditation.

Metta

Metta
tourist
Posted 2006-09-07 10:52 AM (#63885 - in reply to #63842)

Expert Yogi

Welcome MP - your position on music is correct (IMHO) but not very popular This statement often causes a bit of an uproar with the music lovers
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-07 10:56 AM (#63889 - in reply to #63885)

tourist - 2006-09-07 10:52 AM

Welcome MP - your position on music is correct (IMHO) but not very popular This statement often causes a bit of an uproar with the music lovers

Hi tourist.

Thanks. I realy love music myself, but each thing in its place .

Metta
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-07 12:57 PM (#63909 - in reply to #59316)

This confusion comes because the definition of meditation differs. For example, there are yoga circles where perfecting a pose is called meditation, and there are where relaxation is called meditation, and there are others where Kirtan is called meditation. In one particular definition of meditation, music has the greatest place, that is 'focussing on music'!
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-07 7:33 PM (#63970 - in reply to #63909)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-07 12:57 PM

This confusion comes because the definition of meditation differs. For example, there are yoga circles where perfecting a pose is called meditation, and there are where relaxation is called meditation, and there are others where Kirtan is called meditation. In one particular definition of meditation, music has the greatest place, that is 'focussing on music'!

Hehe... I see.

I usualy understand meditation to mean the cultivation/abiding of/in samadhi, specialy in non buddhist circles. Cultivation of samadhi is a very specific thing in buddhism and music hinders the entrance in the first level of samadhi and the remainance there. In order to reach the first level (first jhana) you have to be quite withrawn from sensual desires and unskilfull mental qualities. Since that when you hear music you are craving for it (a sensual pleasure) I don't think it can be good.

Metta
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)