YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga and kidneys?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Wednesday
Posted 2006-07-18 7:41 PM (#59003)
Subject: yoga and kidneys?

Hi -

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking for some time. The information here is wonderful, so I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I used to do yoga (beginning)several years ago but quit due to pregnancies and lack of time. I began again practicing at home a few months ago in order to get back into shape and have lost 25 pounds since starting. I have been sticking with beginner poses and beginner DVDs. I am practicing about 1 hour per day, 5 days per week.

Last week, I followed a DVD which included some inversions (inc. modified shoulder stand with legs bent over head and plow). I did not experience any pain when I did the poses; however, when I left the inversions and began corpse pose I felt severe pain in my kidney area. The pain ceased within a few minutes and I attributed it to muscle spasm. I followed the same DVD on Saturday and experienced the same thing. However, Sunday morning when I woke up the same pain was present on my left side. The pain began in my back left lower ribs near the spine and, as of this morning, is now radiating through my abdomen to my left front ribs. It hurts when I breathe and it hurts when I stand from sitting. Over the past couple of days, I started having painful urination, dark yellow urine and feel lethargic, so I am thinking that I may have a kidney (or at least bladder) issue. I defintiely plan to see a doctor ASAP.

I am wondering, though, could the inversions or any other yoga poses have caused this? I have read that reflux of fluids back into the kidneys can cause infection, but I don't know if yoga would be capable of that. I defintiely don't want to do any poses that could cause this to happen again. Or, is this more likely a stained muscle with a co-incidental bladder infection? (Either way, I still plan to see a doctor, so please don't feel I am asking for a diagnosis - I'd just appreciate your experienced opinion )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday

Edited by Wednesday 2006-07-18 7:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-07-18 7:48 PM (#59006 - in reply to #59003)
Subject: RE: yoga and kidneys?

Expert Yogi

Defnintely sounds like kidney or bladder infection. I think the inversions are probably a "red herring." Get to the doctor and see what is going on. I have heard of kidney reflux but I don't think being upside down has anything to do with it. and I have had a student have similar pain in a similar area coming out of shoulderstand. it seemed to be because she was "crunching" rather than lengthening as she came out of the pose. She is a doctor so she would have likely known if it was kidney issues.

Drink water! And please let us know what happens.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-18 9:48 PM (#59013 - in reply to #59003)

are you sticking with clean filtered water for drinking?

going to the Dr.'s is certainly recommended.

isn't just great how yoga makes you so aware of your body?
kristi
Posted 2006-07-19 5:34 AM (#59045 - in reply to #59003)

Veteran

This is really interesting to me also!
I had a kind of an almost similar problem that had been coming and going all the first months and maybe almost all first couple of years when I had started practicing hatha yoga (alone). I was very much worried then and had also asked for advice about this problem in another yoga forum. The problem was pain in the kidney area, usually in the right side, sometimes it was just a mild disturbance, but other times, when I was getting too tired it would become severe pain in the right kidney, (or kidney area?) that expanded also in the front part of my belly and was also influencing the urine, lasted for days and was making me feel so dull and incapable of practissing, of carrying any weight, etc. Because I dont' easily trust doctors (and especially not the ones in my country who are too conservative and would just tell me don't do yoga) I didn't go to any doctor and tried to figure out first of all what might be causing this pain in my practise. I understood that I was somehow squizing a lot those muscles back there and maybe disturbing the whole "area". I was doing this mainly in the standing postures, because being a beginner and very enthousiastic, it seems that I was holding the standing postures too long. Even (and I could say mainly) tadasana was causing this and I had to introspec a lot in my body while in tadasana untill I felt what I was doing wrong and managed to release the muscles of this area and send the energy and the "power" in other lower muscles, on the top of the thights and on the area of the mula bandha. Sorry I cannot explain this better with my non perfect english. Other postures, like supported shoulderstand were also disturbing my kidneys area, but not while I WAS in them, only while I was GETTING in or out of them. Only standing forward bends were soothing it, which convinced me that this pain had to do with muscles and not with the kidneys themselves. As my postures were becomming more "right", I gradually got rid of this pain and also found the ways to avoid or to cure it, whenever I had signs that it was about to start again. It always has to do with how "well", how "concentrated" and how "right" I do the postures, mainly the standing postures, trying not to squize the wrong areas.
This is my personal experience, I don't know how it could help Wednesday.
Please have in mind that I had no pregnacies or any sudden loss of weight or anything else like that before the problem had come, so my case may be different !!
But dear Wednesday, just know that only yesterday I got from the doctor the results of my blood and urine tests (that I hadn't done for the last 10 years and must admit that I was a little bit worried about the specific 'Kidney" past problem) and everything was 100% O.K.
I wish for you the same
(and I will not be able to answer promptly in case you answer back, because I'll be away)
GOOD LUCK !
Wednesday
Posted 2006-07-19 12:28 PM (#59076 - in reply to #59003)

Thank you everyone for your kind and compassionate responses. As it turns out I am most likely dehydrated which has caused some external irritation from concentrated urine; the doctor doesn't think I have an infection. I should have mentioned before that I developed gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy. My blood sugar is still often slightly elevated and I often spill sugar which apparently sets me up nicely for the problem I am experiencing now. So, lots of fluids for the next few days should help a lot; I didn't even realize that I was dehydrated - I guess that explains the lethargy.

I still have the pain in my side; however, I feel a lot better knowing that it isn't a kidney infection. Kristi, what you described is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. I think for now I am going to back off from the poses that are causing the pain until I can get to a class and get instruction and find out what I am doing wrong. I know doing yoga at home is tricky business with no one to help you with alignment or provide corrections; in the meantime, there certainly are a lot of other beneficial poses that I can practice at home without problems.

Moment of enlightenment: as I re-read this post before I was about to submit it, it suddenly occurred to me that I have overlooked one of the most basic principles of yoga - listening to your body. How could I not know I was dehydrated when it was so obvious? I have totally been ignoring what my body is telling me. Ironically, I am always telling my children "I know you hear me, but listen to what I am saying". I will now try to practice what I preach.

Thank you again, everyone.

Wednesday
Wednesday
Posted 2006-07-26 6:48 PM (#59856 - in reply to #59003)
Subject: Update on kidney problem

I just thought I would post an update. I have been drinking more water as the doctor ordered to try to get past this problem and doing only very light yoga poses for the past few days . When I woke up this morning, the pain in my left side was very intense and radiated down through my pelvis. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with a bacterial infection - the doctor also identified protien in the urine, so it is very possible that there is kidney involvement. I am waiting for lab results from bloodwork. I was given an antibiotic am looking forward to getting better.

I have to admit that the thought of modified headstand or plow anytime in the near future is a bit scary since that is when the pain started (even if the poses had nothing to do with the infection).

I will get back to the mat once I get past this setback, but for now, I'm taking a few days rest. At least now I know what the problem is.

Wednesday

Orbilia
Posted 2006-07-27 5:21 AM (#59906 - in reply to #59856)
Subject: RE: Update on kidney problem

It's worrying but it must be a relief knowing what's up? I hope you're feeling well enought to get back on that horse (your inversions) soon.

Fee
LEA
Posted 2009-09-29 5:29 PM (#118757 - in reply to #59003)
Subject: Re: yoga and kidneys?

I don`t know if this thread is still alive or not but in an attempt to find an explanation to my current kidney infection, I came across with these posts.

I have been suffering from lower back, (right) side and abdominal pains for the last week, with pain in urination and very slight blood in the urine. After being told by the hospital and my house doctor that I am most likely having a kidney stone, today I was finally diagnosed with a kidney infection.

Strangely enough, my pain also started the day after a yoga session where we did the same modified shoulder stand (with legs bent over head). It was the first time I tried this pose.

I stopped any kind of physical exercise since then but I will check with my teacher tomorrow for a possible link between this pose and risk of kidney infections. I am sending this post just for the records.

Cheers all.
veseliba
Posted 2009-12-30 11:45 PM (#120327 - in reply to #59003)

Hi all. My problem sounds quite similar to what you are describing. I used to practice Halasana daily and commonly experienced pain/extreme sensitivity in my left kidney region. My yoga practice became less frequent, but just this evening during my practice I had sensation so strong I could barely stay in the pose. I have no idea if this is:

a) a problem caused by poor form, exacerbated by more practice
b) pain due to lack of practice, in which case I should do Halasana more often
c) some underlying medical problem for which I should see a doctor!

I know this thread is old and inactive; just thought maybe my new post would attract a seasoned yoga teacher to comment, since several of us seem to be experiencing the same thing.

Posted 2009-12-31 5:31 PM (#120344 - in reply to #120327)

See your doctor. Since it is only one side, it is likely a medical condition. If he/she rules this out, see an experienced yoga teacher for input on your form.

Yoga teachers are not competent to diagnose medical conditions in person and certainly cannot do so over the internet.

Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-01-02 5:24 PM (#120367 - in reply to #120327)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste!
You should stop doing this posture if you experience pain/extreme sensitivity in the area you mentioned. Please listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard to do anything against nature. You need an experienced yoga teacher, who is therapeutically trained.
You can talk to your Doctor as Jim said.
Thanks...
I wish you all the best....
williamb
Posted 2011-04-08 5:38 AM (#208073 - in reply to #59003)

Yoga is so powerful thing and able to recover from any kind of disease. But for result you have to wait and do yoga regularly. Yoga is not only exercise but it bring internal power in us and body will recover itself.
Sangeeth11
Posted 2011-05-11 1:52 AM (#208323 - in reply to #59003)

New User

You better see a doctor soon.and check what is the exactly you have.That's the best thing you should do now
oprtybklop
Posted 2011-05-11 7:51 AM (#208331 - in reply to #59003)

To refrain this position if you experience pain sensitivity in the area of extreme. Please listen to your body and push yourself too hard doing nothing against nature.
jpg
Posted 2011-05-11 1:28 PM (#208334 - in reply to #120344)

- 2009-12-31 5:31 PM

See your doctor. Since it is only one side, it is likely a medical condition. If he/she rules this out, see an experienced yoga teacher for input on your form.

Yoga teachers are not competent to diagnose medical conditions in person and certainly cannot do so over the internet.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)