YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

good chills?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

CLK
Posted 2006-07-17 12:46 PM (#58906)
Subject: good chills?

Hi everyone, i have a couple of questions related to this thing they call kundalini.

After reading a little on this subject, i came across a few articles that mentioned that a "kundalini awakening " can involve episodes of a psychotic/skitzophrenic nature. And i've read that chills are sometimes related to this thing called kundalini.

Well a little over a year ago I had a pretty intense experience where I was suddenly filled with large amounts of insight and deep wisdom. I saw the world in a new light; everything had profound meaning. On the 3rd day of being in this state, I went into my 5th period classroom, said some weird stuff to the teacher - she took me outside and i collapsed/passed out [ i dont remember this, i just remember going outside and sitting down. ] Anyways, i was taken to the hospital, i stayed there for a couple of months, at the end of which the entire experience began to be very scary, with delusions like " people knew what i was thinking " , and that i was christ incarnate. This episode had many highs and lows and ultimately ending probably 4 months after it began. At the end of it though, I realized that i was able to give myself this sensation of chills going down my spine/throughout my body. I have related this sensation to "electricity flowing throughout my body" as sometimes described by others. It seems to eminate from my crown chakra? and goes throughout my body downward. Sometimes i don't even make them happen, just something that i read, or music will start the sensation shooting through me. Any activity of ego seems to cut off this sensation. As it progresses to stronger, it brings me to tears [of a pleasant nature] and a pulsing sensation [not negative] in the middle of my back usualy.

Kundalini was the first thing that ever seemed to connect my experience with anything that made sense. Also, when in my psychosis if you will, the idea came to me of the cleansing of chakras from the lowest to the highest by doing things like becoming celibate, losing anger, and so on and so forth until the energy reaches the crown and you becoming enlightened in every sense of the word. This is a topic i have found in reading about kundalini.

Anyways, my question is - does anybody know what these chills are? how to work with them or anything related to them? is this kundalini? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated, and suggestions of what i can do to continue down this path would be greatly appreciated.

sorry if i got off topic with my story, but i just wanted to show the connection i've found between my experiences and what i've read about kundalini.

thanks everyone,

-Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-17 5:25 PM (#58931 - in reply to #58906)
Subject: RE: good chills?

Have you ever heard or read anything having to do with Kriya Yoga?

http://www.kriya.org/

Not sure if this will help, but keep reading

http://www.yoganiketan.net/

you might find what you're looking for

and always keep your sense of humor
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-17 7:07 PM (#58932 - in reply to #58906)

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=7452

here's another piece of reading you might find interesting
CLK
Posted 2006-07-17 10:22 PM (#58937 - in reply to #58906)

hey thornley, i really really appreciate these leads. i will definately make sure to read them all, and i will try and remember to keep a sense of humor :]
sonofason1
Posted 2008-08-26 8:46 PM (#110265 - in reply to #58906)

Well, I cannot say for sure that I am correct, so you should certainly seek other opinions, but I have found that the chills you are referring to I experience very often. And like you, they seem to be associated with deep inner connections to wisdom, and truth. I also have come to a point where I can almost will the experience on myself. It is my opinion that they are a God experience. I think that I may be a christian, however, I am not a very good one, and so I do not attribute the experience to any knowledge I have gained from biblical readings. However, biblical truths often cause this feeling to well up inside me, and it also can last for long periods of time. I believe it is the comforting hand of God. The Holy Spirit if you will. It occurs when your mind and your heart are in close alignment with the will of God. Keep it. It is good.
donwado1
Posted 2009-10-21 1:05 AM (#119200 - in reply to #58906)

Would love to talk to you. Thanks, Don
honma4
Posted 2012-02-26 3:00 PM (#210122 - in reply to #58906)

New User

I have been able to give myself a strange sensation at will since I was a kid which I have I sense is very similar to what you describe. I too, liken to an electric feeling of energy and I have always thought of it as feeling akin to goosebumps and by best attempts to describe it is that it is like a full body orgasm. Again I can do this at will and I can send it to different parts of my body but usually it starts at the bottom of my spine and travels upwards to the top of my head and spreads into my upper arms and down into my legs. At times it can even be somewhat intense and can cause me to shudder, although it never becomes painful in any way. I too experience it involuntarily at certain times of well-being or during a part of a song which greatly moves me.

Until a year ago I was completely unaware of what the sensation was and wrote it off as just a weird thing I could do. Whenever I was young I always had the feeling of needing to release the sensation in order to get a certain satisfaction, and until I released it I was not satisfied. It is because of this need to release it that I developed a technique of 'rolling' or moving my shoulders up and down in order to coax the sensation into releasing. So about one year ago I was reading a book and in a caption the concept of a mystical energy which lay dormant at the base of the spine until awakened, commonly referred to as the 'kundalini', I immediately had the conviction that the feeling I have had since childhood, which by that time I had almost forgotten, was no doubt the kundalini.

I began to do lots of reading on the internet and even bought a book on kundalini. I attribute this association of my sensation to kundalini as the primary reason I was introduced to new age concepts such as christ-cosnciousness, the quest to eliminate fear and ego-based thinking and viewing the universe, earth, and its inhabitants as one conscious organism; before that I was a strictly conservative christian youth brought up in a typical American Bible-belt Christian family home. Around that time a began to dabble in psychedelics such as lsd, dmt, and mushrooms as well as daily doses of cannabis. I had several mystical experiences and acquired severe delusions including thought-broadcast variants and several variants of referential delusions ('delusions of reference' - in which I perceived external stimuli to hold substantial significance to my individual thoughts and actions. Wiki describes it as a "perception that irrelevant, unrelated or innocuous phenomena in the world refer to them directly or have special personal significance"). Not to mention I also acquired an unshakable theory of solipsism and thus added to the severe psychosis I was developing.

Eventually I had to quit my job and move back into my parents house where I was medicated on several prescription anti-psychotics and was assigned several psychologists. At the peak of my experiences I was perceiving song lyrics to be speaking directly to me and perceived signs in the environment to be confirming certain thoughts I had; a bird would fly past me and I would perceive that as a sign from 'god' or some other being. During this time my beliefs in new age theories escalated and I began to make my own assumptions about reality. I began to spend massive amounts of time on the internet reading information about conspiracy theory and all sorts of mystical subject matter. Eventually I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and was forced to face that my delusions were not real occurrences but only existed in my head Since then I have had to quit smoking marijuana (four months now -- curses!) and have begun to document my delusional thinking patterns and use other ways of self-treatment.

I am in full recovery now and while I still have lingering tendencies to return to my delusions thinking patterns I do not believe that they are real. Despite all of this I have evaluated new age and conspiracy theory to my best ability and am a firm believer that the modern capitalistic empire embodied by the united nations and the unofficial title of 'new world order' is no less than Babylon the great whore as predicted in the book of revelations and now my overall belief system is similar to rastafarianism.

Excuse my long departure into the nature of my schizophrenic symptoms, I hope it will of some use to someone undergoing something similar to me, but now I will return to the topic of kundalini as I still have some important pieces of information which I would like discussed. About halfway through my psychotic episodes I came across information on the internet which began to take me down an unforeseen path in my research. I began to look more and more into kundalini, still considering the paranoia that my sensation was not kundalini and instead just a neurotic 'tic' I had developed. This paranoia was egged on by the fact that I have yet to come across a source which officially associates kundalini with an exact description of the physical sensation which I experience. Because I have only found rough comparisons between the two, it is still a weak theory and I would be one of the first people to make this association. Not only this but I am understandably reluctant to readily believe that I experience the power of the kundalini, a spiritual force which brings higher consciousness. While I have a deep interest in spirituality I would not consider myself as having an ascended or mastered level of spiritual awareness... yet .

So, with that in mind, I will move on to my point of discussion. I dug deep to come across a series of relating articles of information which believe it or not, essentially purported the kundalini to actually be the equivalent of the bane of a spiritual awakening, a direct contradiction to the overwhelming amount of information which claims the opposite. To elaborate, the somewhat influential spiritual teacher of the early to middle 20th century George Gurdjieff had several disconcerting things to say about the kundalini. Gurdjieff claimed that what we now believe to be the kundalini is actually the remnant of a special organ called the 'kundabuffer' which was implanted into us by cosmic surgeons (who he taught were of angelic origin) at the beginning of humanity's time on earth. Long story short, Gurdjieff claimed the organ's function was to make humans to perceive reality upside-down (figuratively) because if mankind had knowledge of his actual purpose on earth, we would all commit suicide (he taught that mankind was created as a continual source of spiritual energy which apparently was fed to the moon which in turn keeps the earth in balance). To explain further, Gurdjieff says that this organ acts as a 'buffer' (hence the name) to buff out mankind's ability to understand the way the universe actually works and our hinder our ability to find an end to our suffering. Apparently this organ is what causes humans to be fixated on the material world and is essentially the cause of all our suffering. Gurdjieff also claims that Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) tried to teach his disciples of the existence of this organ and whose primary teaching centered around the discipline of overcoming the detrimental effects of this organ which caused our suffering. Most importantly Gurdjieff claimed that the modern day phenomenon of kundalini exists as a result of a misinterpretation of the buddha's teachings on he kundabuffer and this fatal misinterpretation was then passed on to several sects of buddhism until it made its way into hinduism and subsequently was filtered into what it has become now. Gurdjieff warns that regarding the kundalini as a holy or spiritual force is completely wrong and that it is best to stay away from the kundalini, not to mention staying clear of a kundalini 'awakening'.

I know this is really 'out-there' stuff but please bear with me. If you experience similar symptoms such as ones the original author of this post and I have described and you are truly interested in finding out whether this sensation is indeed 'kundalini' then I appreciate you taking your time to read this far, I realize this is quite a bit of reading.

So, to continue, I encourage you to type 'kundabuffer' into google and do your own research. If for some reason you have an aversion to believing what you read on the internet know that Gurdjieff wrote several books detailing his teachings and you can probably find them at your local library or bookstore. The book which contains his theories of kundabuffer is called "Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson" and was written in 1950.

Because of these contradicting viewpoints on the nature of kundalini, I am at a crossroads in my research into the topic. On one hand, I would like to believe that I possess an incredibly holy power which incurs spiritual awareness. If this is true, then I do not want to waste time and would like to continue developing the power further. But at the same time I have now become incredibly worried that this sensation that I have attempted to develop is actually detrimental to my spiritual path and in essence, the complete opposite of what I want to happen. Until this confusion has been cleared up, I will be unable to cultivate any further progress for a kundalini awakening. In conclusion, I hope to begin some discussion on these topics and my questions are as follows: should I believe in the overwhelming amount of information which claims kundalini is a spiritual phenomenon or should I regard the kundalini as a negative abnormality which should be avoided at all costs...

My last hope is that if nothing else, we can determine through brainstorming and discussion whether or not the symptoms of an energetic-like sensation of goosebumps (specifically in which one has the ability to control/release this at will) such as described by the author the post and I is even related to kundalini at all. For all we know the similarity between the symptoms of the physical sensation and that of kundalini (and I have found a number of other posts on the internet which describe similar symptoms as well as the the recurring theory that the sensation may be kundalini) may be a complete coincidence and therefore a misguided belief that should be proven untrue.

Thanks so much,
Noah
callofsedona
Posted 2013-12-04 12:19 AM (#211052 - in reply to #58906)
Subject: Re: good chills?

Veteran

I enjoyed reading these buddies, thank you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)