YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

certifications
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2006-07-11 9:08 PM (#58329)
Subject: certifications

Extreme Veteran

what are the different types of iyengar style certifications??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-07-11 10:26 PM (#58330 - in reply to #58329)
Subject: RE: certifications

Good question...I was wondering and thinking if the Iyengar training is equal to that of the 200 hour or 500 of RYT of Yoga Alliance? I understand Yoga Alliance was formed just about 6-7 years ago when certification was a must to teach anywhere, etc. Their is a studio here in SAT and one of the instructors is Iyengar certified. The instructors I have to take class from have to be RYT certified with Yoga Alliance. I hope Glenda can clear the fog for us!
tourist
Posted 2006-07-12 10:36 AM (#58357 - in reply to #58330)

Expert Yogi

I think Iyengar studios tend to develop their own programs based on guidelines that come from BKS directly. So there is an asana syllabus for each level that the student must show an ability to practice and teach then there is a long list of things like anatomy and philosophy that the traiining program must cover. In Canada there is a national certification exam and we do Introductory Level I and II together while most countries do the two levels separately. We are a little different as our nat'l assn. is relatively new. Most people train 3 - 5 years before taking the assessment exam, which easily goes over the 200 hr. level. I think that the studios in the US would be likely to know where that puts them with YA, although most Iyengar centres just don't worry about that much. If you have Iyengar certification, you don't usually need to show other certification, do you? Sorry if that sounds arrogant - I am from a heavily Iyengar area and we don't do YA.
fechter03
Posted 2006-07-12 11:52 AM (#58372 - in reply to #58329)

Extreme Veteran

actually, glenda, i'm going to alberta and was looking at some private lessons there and i see numerous teachers with the "yoga certified instructor" title teaching the iyengar style and i would really like to know how to tell them apart.
Phoenix
Posted 2006-07-13 10:45 PM (#58624 - in reply to #58329)

My understanding is the Iyengar certified teachers are the most highy trained there are. My teacher equates it to going to grad school. It's nice to know I'm learning yoga from such a highly qualified person. I hope some day I am able to go to teacher training.
tourist
Posted 2006-07-14 12:25 PM (#58686 - in reply to #58372)

Expert Yogi

fechter - ok, now we are on to different levels of Iyengar certification. The first level in Canada is Intro I/II (which I have) then comes Junior Intermediate (BKS made up these levels, I wish it was just 1,2,3...) I - III, then Senior Intermediate. I haven't studied with a lot of Alberta teachers but I have been to events with some. Margot Kitchen is, I think the only SI teacher in Alberta and she is a lovely person who has studied directly with BKS many times over the years. Rob Walker is JI I and I have had quite a bit of correspondence with him as well as meeting him at conferences. Teddy Hyndman is in Edmonton and I actually saw part of one of her assessments - VERY good. PM me if you have other names. I have our directory here and can tell you their current level of cert if you like. My son is in Alberta right now but I doubt you will run into him. He had to be helicoptered in to his forest fire watching tower north west of Edmonton
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-24 1:39 PM (#113883 - in reply to #58329)
Subject: Re: certifications

Iyengar certification guidelines/requirements come from PUNE. some slight variations for different countries related to culture.

Iyengar certification is WELL ABOVE and BEYOND yoga alliance. much more than "equivalent."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)