YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kundalini: Need advice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

ChrisG
Posted 2006-07-05 8:22 PM (#57833)
Subject: Kundalini: Need advice

Hi there,

first of all excuse my lack of language skill as English isnt my mother tongue. The reason I registered to this forums is to tell you my story and maybe get some advice.

About 1,5 years ago I injured myself while training and had to stop for quite some time. As I didnt want to let this time pass by unused, I started to read several books of Mantak Chia, for I was always interested in meditation and yoga. In fact, I have been doing yoga for years, though up to this point with no "deeper" meaning or meditaton - for me, it was just some kind of stretching. While reading the books I stumbled upon the term "Kundalini" and began to search the net and books for this kind of yoga practice.

As my injury didnt get better even after two months, I started to do the exercises called "small energy circuit" (I translated it word by word, I hope you get the point) where you imagine some kind of energy balls on your back, "feeding" them with your energy and pushing them above your head etc. As this exercise was meant to have a healing effect I was going for it, though I didnt have that much trust in it. And even if my injury didnt get any better, I would continue my daily practice of the circuit at least twice a day, as I was feeling rather "energised" after it.

For a very long time, nothing happened. Then, I noticed subtle differences in my behaviour. I was eating less and less meat, returning to my old habit of some years ago when I abandoned to eat the meat of animals - again without an ulterior motive. It just felt right. Besides that, I was getting very calm. All those little events life throws at us - bills, falling marmelade toasts (hello Mr Murphy) and the likes I was able to face with an almost unshakable calmness. In fact, rather than yelling like I did before I would simply laugh it off and continue.

As I was continuing my exercises of the energy circuit - holding up the tongue to the roof of my mouth, smiling and imagining the flow of energy in my body while trying not to try - some day my body suddenly started to shake heavily. As I have read a lot of books and documents about my practice, I wasnt to unfamiliar with this event, so I thought of it as some kind of progress. Up to that point, meditation etc. was just some kind of hobby for me.

I then started reading some horrorstories about Kundalini experiences - people who began seeing demons and the like, other people which were unable to sleep because of the energy in their body etc. From this time I only meditated one time a day. I also focused heavier on not letting the energy go to my head, instead drawing it over my head and down.

But other changes/symptoms were already in my life.

For instance, I would have pain in the lower back, which is thanks to Feldenkrais-work bearable. Sometimes I would feel some kind of heat in my body, some kind of electricity, making my hair standing straight up. I was getting _very_ horny. While it was earlier on just some fun way of killing time, it now absolutely ruled my life. I couldnt do work before I released my drive. Every time I lose a game or any kind of competition, Iam getting extremly angry, hammering my fist into any object that is around. Whatever happens to me, if I get into trouble I just stay calm and wait to make my move, but when I lose any competition I really explode. I didnt have this kind of behaviour earlier. Iam somehow sometimes very depressed and cant concentrate any longer. In very important topics in my life like exams, this is very disturbing. I used to play rather good chess, though I somehow... just cant do it anymore. I tend to avoid company or people around me. I dont understand why they are sacrificing so much time for yelling and *****ing about each other or minor things. Sometimes I have the impression that other people are somehow "attracted" to me. Sometimes I have the impression of the complete opposite. I experienced the latter one more often. Sometimes I start to get very afraid, almost at the limit of paranoia. Sometimes I would get slight headaches.

I know immediately when someone is watching me, as my head just turns around. I became almost oversensitive to sound and vision. Also, my intuition seems to have "grown" (I dont find any other suitable word for it). For instance, when Iam quite relaxed and easygoing and someone is asking me "You know what I did last night?" I would answer without hesitation (nor thinking) "You met your ex girlfriend from two years ago", which actually was the case. When meditating, I sometimes feel the energy on my head, as if I was wearing a heat.

Well, this is my story. I dont really know what is going on with me, though I have one or two clues. Very soon Iam going to write my final exams, and I would like be able to concentrate so that I will pass. Deep inside me I know that if I stop my exercises and my new lifestyle, I slowly would get "back". Though I also know that I could go on - but Iam afraid of that. I have no guru or what so ever, only my small wisdom of the net and some books. And I certainly dont want to end like those people I mentioned above, searching for help modern medicine cant get them, only labeling them with "mental ill".

I would appreciate any kind of help.

ChrisG
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ystan
Posted 2006-07-06 11:27 PM (#57989 - in reply to #57833)
Subject: RE: Kundalini: Need advice

Christg, thanks for relating your story and I emphasized with you experience. I would like to share my experience, not on Kundalini energy, but on Reiki, the Universal Life force, some called it the Japanese version of Chinese Chi-Kung. Some time ago I attended a class and was attuned level 1, and a month later I took attunement for higher level via an internet site. After the second attunement, I felt constant strong movement, like electric current, running on my  feet (below the two knees), it did not go away for weeks. The advice given was, to distribute the good energy to the needed. Now I do occasionally felt the energy, but it has turned to be a soothing energy I enjoyed. Try giving/distribute the energy to life form and things around you, with pure and loving thoughts, and see if it helps. Best of luck in your search for a solution, and to your spiritual growth. Namaste
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-07-07 2:36 PM (#58035 - in reply to #57833)

ChrisG: 1. Just stay relaxed using music, tea with friends, movie, etc. and that shall take you through your exams. 2. Be optimistic about solution. 3. Try to find an experienced teacher in the areas you want to improve.
Shri Vidya
Posted 2006-07-20 7:15 AM (#59138 - in reply to #57833)

Hi,

First, before all other things,there is no spirituality without physical health!

When life force (chi, prana) transforming in Kundalini rises it's best to have a teacher nearby to help keep control over your power. A teacher helps during times of high emotion, increased levels of energy and frequency changes occuring within the body. Slowly, you will become accustomed to these experiences and sensations.
When you raise Kundalini, you become more close to Higher Self and connect with the highest level of your soul. Kundalini has been called the most powerful force in the universe. Respect it, or it will kick you to pieces.Many poeple forget this.
Kundalini is not the cause of the your problems, it just immensely amplifies and aggravates them.

But,the real cause of all our problems, kundalini or other health problems, comes from our misconceptions about ourselves, our repressed emotions and how we relate to ourselves , each other, spirituality, life in general, etc.
How we think, feel, speak, act and even breathe effect our energy bodies. If we are not in alignment or harmony with "life as it is" then the energy gets imbalanced, and if it stays that way long enough it can manifest as physical, mental or emotional disharmony or illness. The awakening of the kundalini can be a powerful blast of force into an already imbalanced energy body, further aggravating the energy blockages and increasing pain and discomfort.
The imbalances were already in our energy bodies before the kundalini awakened, the kundalini did not create the problem but it can certainly cause the latent energy imbalances to manifest very quickly and sometimes very drastically, as severe pain or illness. Based on this information one can then see that any attempts at fixing the kundalini will vary greatly, the results will be marginal at best, and in many cases dangerous, as many people here have found out through their experiences with energy workers trying to fix their kundalini problem. So what is the solution ?

If our illusions, our misconceptions etc. are the real causes of the imbalances that underlie the apparent kundalini problem, then we can begin to understand more clearly why there are no easy fixes and why each kundalini sufferer requires individual consideration and there is no one solution that will work for everyone. Just because you may not have found anything to help you in the past doesn't mean there is no hope or that you can't be helped. It means the healers, or teachers that you used in the past, either didn't clearly understand the problem with trying to "fix the kundalini" or they couldn't clearly see the physical, mental and emotional imbalances that are unique to you, or were not skilled enough to safely and effectively help heal your energy body, and help you learn how to help yourself in a way that would actually produce results.
We have to consider the complex issue of karma and of course, we also have to want to take responsibility for our lives, our beliefs, our choices, and our actions, which means facing and accepting our repressed emotions{ the anxiety, fear, anger,etc }, our illusions, our pain, with a open mind and loving heart. This can be immensely painful and difficult, so again, there are often no easy solutions but there are solutions, that can be very effective. I have seen many people with awakened kundalini successfully helped with their particular pain or suffering without any adverse effects. It is very unfortunate that so many people have been hurt by other healers or spiritual teachers, because this can make it very difficult to remain hopeful and open to new possibilities.

As a founder and head of an East West spiritual alchemy group in Europe(establish 20 years ago), it was my job, to talk with the new people who attended the training. One woman with whom I spoke, asked me whether or not I recommended she take shaktipat initiation. We talked further and I ended up "looking" at her energy. Her upper chakras were over energized and the lower ones were underdeveloped, which makes one ungrounded and somewhat "spacey". She was hoping the kundalini awakening would enhance his spiritual practice. I told her that shaktipat was entirely her decision and I gave her advice on the possible risks, which I wasn't supposed to do, because it wasn't "company policy". Shee decided to take the shaktipat and had disastrous results, he was bedridden. I "saw" that her imbalances were more pronounced, not restored to harmony as others had led him to believe. The Guru advised her against having healing and of course gave her the traditional belief that the Kundalini would heal her. This means case illustrates what I have been saying. She already like you had the energy imbalance before the shaktipat, the awakening of her kundalini wasn't the cause of his subsequent suffering but it certainly did amplify and cause it to physically manifest, almost instantly
It is very important to understand that misconceptions are not bad, in fact I firmly believe, that freedom from suffering comes from examining and understanding the source of our suffering, to be clear about our confusion is to be clear of it.

By knowing what you are not, you come to know the Self.".
The basic principles of spiritual life is that our problems become the very place to discover wisdom and love."
Hopefully we can all learn from our misconceptions, and become free of them and the pain and suffering that they cause. Very few people clearly understand kundalini,and its effects good and bad on kundalini. I have dedicated my life to helping others wherever and whenever the opportunity arises so here I am still offering advice.
Since no two people experience the process of kundalini in the same way, it is quite hard to give general advice.

But I do however try to give some rules of life that makes life easier with an active kundalini.
First of all you have stop any further exercises. Avoid meditation, vizualization, breathing exercises and other exercises, whose goal it is to reach higher consciousness. They can increase the process. It is a fact that many that meditate or do something spiritual in general, get worse. Long walks are always a good thing. Being in nature is very good for grounding Kundalini. Some people feel well when they do hard physical work, for instance jogging, gymnastics or dance, and others feel overpressure in the head and dizziness from too intense exercising. Do your own experiments, carefully, and find out what is best for you. When the energy is extremely active there is a risk that you do not get enough food for long periods of time-eat more than usual. Swimming is good therapy for most people. At last, give time a chance. It happens to quite a lot of people who have had painful experiences that the process completely stops by itself. It is immensely important to strive to live an ordinary life with balance, optimism, and most importantly, a sense of humor. Try to laugh more and live your life to the fullest in spite of any Kundalini-related limitations.
Lastly, believe from the depths of your soul in the power of Love, the power in yourself, and that all things will ultimately work to the good in your life.
The aim of every human deed is, basically, to bring about a state of complete physical, psychic, social and, finally, cosmic harmony. The realisation of the state in which all one's needs are fully satisfied at any given time. All living beings strive towards reaching this state of blissfulness...
I hope it is useful for your welfare and benefit in whatever small way.

Best Wishes.

Susi
Posted 2006-08-06 3:01 AM (#61136 - in reply to #57833)

Hi,
That was a great answer! I'm a psych RN (besides being a yoga therapist) and have seen people come in (we're an emergency psych hospital) having a spiritual crisis with psychotic features after practicing Kundalini. (It can happen after a hallucinogen too.) This is different from a psychosis that may have religious features or overtones. It's really important to not make a snap diagnosis of psychosis and medicate cause this will probably make things worse. In spiritual crisis, it's important to be supportive but not medicate so the person still has the reasoning ability to work it out themselves. We usually work with the person on grounding exercises both physical and cognitive. ("I see such and such on that wall over there. What do you see?") But you can use asana that have grounding qualities like palm tree, emphasizing your rooted-ness to the earth, stabilizing you, keeping you safe, etc. Also, we've successfully used pranayama techniques if anxiety or panic is present. There are a few techniques that are amazingly effective (and quick) in reducing anxiety. And then people can learn to do these for themselves. But, for sure, no more Kundalini for now (if ever.) If you're interested in the pranayama, let me know and I'll describe them.
Namaste.
Cindy
Posted 2006-11-15 2:04 PM (#69399 - in reply to #57833)

I can relate to Chris' experience.

I am new to Yoga and had a Kundalini awakening during the meditation part of the practice after only 4 lessons. I felt something rising and wiggling in my chest each time I took a breath. It would rise with each inhale and retreat with the exhale. I kept pushing this wiggling feeling upward until it flew up into my chest. I had a burning sensation in the 6th chakra. I had no idea what was happening and began crying. My teacher told me it was a Kundalini awakening.

I'm now looking back over the last year and see signs of what could possibly be the beginning. I became obsessed with sex for about 3 months. I'm in a committed relationship and even began looking outside of it to fulfill the overwhelming desire (something I've never done before).

What brought me to yoga was the desire to feel better about myself after the mess I had made of my previously stable life. I became depressed and very critical of everything I had previously loved. I now wonder if the madness I was acting on the last year was the beginning of the Kundalini awakening?

So, now that I had this experience I feel much more peaceful. I would like to hear from others what the next step is? I'm continuing with my yoga practice and try to meditate (although when I do I get a very burning sensation in my 6th chakra). Comments?
jonnie
Posted 2006-11-15 2:36 PM (#69405 - in reply to #57833)

I'm interested in what experience your teacher has to diagnose a kundalini awakening.

Have they experienced it as well?

sathya
Posted 2006-12-24 11:36 AM (#72235 - in reply to #57833)

I do kundalini yoga very very slowly..I mean I take time beacuse the time has not yet come to do it with all my energy. I am a serious science student too. Do kundalini to know yourself.
If you feel you can't read for your exams, and if you feel your spiritual efforts are coming in your way, then you just have to wait. stop doing your kundalini yoga for the time being,write your exams,live your life.Time will come,relax.
We need to write exams and we need to play we need to get married...lots of things we need to do...and we feel we need to do kundalini yoga..too...its the same "I" who feels all that.
Give yourslef time. You are perfectly normal. Every single human being; even a great guru needs to think and make a descision at every point in life, its just a changing phase. Relax.You have the power to do everything.Don't doubt them and hurry, that is the root cause for all trouble. If you still feel you can't wait find a guru. Otherwise just easy..go slow..wait for the right time to come ..keep writing ....to forums like this.

Do everyhting in calm way...take time to know yourself there is no hurry..and meanwhile you can share..share love with anyhting and everything that you feel like. Let happiness be yours.Cheers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)