YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates and Strength training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

orca_girl
Posted 2006-07-01 1:45 PM (#57296)
Subject: Pilates and Strength training

Hello,

I am taking Xenadrine EFX, which is working quite well. But I am worried because apparently, if you are losing weight without strength training, you will lose your muscles, along with the fat. and because of this, you are prone to gaining all your weight back.

I have been doing pilates for the last 2 weeks now (Mari Windsor Pilates DVD's) and feel great already. My question is this. Would these Pilates sessions I'm doing be considered strength training since you are working the buns, thighs, and abs?

If so, should I be combining this with cardio-related fitness, such as walking or doing some tai-bo? (I have the Billy Banks Tai-bo Advanced DVD)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-07-01 6:22 PM (#57315 - in reply to #57296)
Subject: RE: Pilates and Strength training

Expert Yogi

OG - it sounds to me like you are doing all of these things on your own wwithout a trainer or anyone supervising, which is generally not a great idea. Others here can tell you the affects of such diet aids but in general, quick weight loss eventually brings associated weight gain. And generally one gains more than one lost, hence the diet pill and weight loss industries have a never-ending source of billions of dollars annually. My favourite story is to tell about seeing all my friends from years ago when we were all young moms (we are all now in our 50's). We have pretty much all gained weight over the years but I got to eat while they sat at buffet tables, birthday parties and great restaurants and counted calories with sad, wistful looks in their eyes. Yes, I have some things in my favour such as good genes and a small appetite, but to me it makes NO sense to spend your youth starving and running from fat. Eat well, not too much (Dolly Parton says that she lost weight by "jest not bein' sech a PIG!" She can get away with stuff like that...) and enjoy your life.
orca_girl
Posted 2006-07-03 12:14 PM (#57480 - in reply to #57296)

Your reply is so discouraging that I almost gave up my exercise routine I do each week because I think "why bother?"

Anyhow, I cant hire or be "guided" by a personal trainer because none exist where I'm at. It's a small red neck mining town that consists of one small gym that's crap. So you can see why I'm doing it this way, rather then your way of getting a trainer.

Cheers!

Edited by orca_girl 2006-07-03 12:15 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-07-03 6:48 PM (#57523 - in reply to #57480)

Expert Yogi

Monica - I did not want to discourage you, simply point out some pitfalls. From your screen name I am wondering if you are on the west coast? I know there are some small, small places out here and the opportunities for help are low. I am a yoga teacher, not a personal trainer but I have an idea you can probably find someone online to help. I was really hoping some of our more fitness-oriented folks would post some stuff for you, since they know so much more about the supplements etc. My main hope is that you can enjoy life and not be so wrapped up in weight loss that you have no fun and be dissappointed the day the scale shows the "wrong" result. Be happy!
throwtoy
Posted 2006-07-05 1:42 PM (#57766 - in reply to #57296)
Subject: RE: Pilates and Strength train

I dont believe in using these magic pills. If you want to lose the weight do it the good old fashioned and healthy way and do it naturally. You have to do the work to get the body you want. If you notice even on the pills there is a note these will work with regular exercise and a healthy diet. Why not try changing the diet and doing the exercise first to change your body?

I understand having to do stuff at home, i dont like going to the gym, however if you're practicing at home you MUST know correct alignment. I'm a Pilates instructor and have dance experience as well.

Depending on how experienced you are with Pilates many of the beginner tapes aren't working the upper body so you should be doing Strength Training or possibly Yoga as well as Pilates AND cardio. If you need to lose fat, cardio is necessary.

When i hear from a new student that they've been doing Pilates using a video at home it normally makes me nervous. Most of the time they dont have the correct alignment dont know how to control the movement, roll too far, dont know how to do a body check, etc. You want to make sure that you dont teach yourself bad habits and you just dont want to hurt yourself either.

Things you should pay attention to when practicing Pilates:

dont let the rib cage flare open. (picture a gymnast ending a flip back arches)
imagine a tootsie roll underneath your ribcage and gently press it into the floor and keep there - this is even more important when you reach your arms behind you first thing people do is arch.

Single leg circles - dont allow your hips to come off the floor

rollong like a ball - watch that you're only rolling to the tiups of your shoulder blades - think of rolling to where your bra strap hits the floor

Side kick series - make sure the movement is only from the hips down, your upper body should NOT be swaying forward and back, also make sure that your top leg stays stacked dont let your hip fall behind especially in leg lifts.

roll ups, teasers - watch that you dont throw your body forward again you want to control the movement and FLOAT up.

there's so much more i could go into so if you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

For practicing anything at home you juts want to make sure you educate yourself. If you CAN get to a class do that and ask some questions to an instructor. Another thing you can do is to purchase some books to help you understand the exercises better.

Book suggestion:
The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening, and Toning Your Body--Without Machines (Paperback)
by Brooke Siler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076790396X/
ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/104-7843223-1923943?ie=UTF8

Video suggestions:
Power Pilates beginner - has a section for the back as well as a aprt that goes through the specifics for each exercise.
http://www.powerpilates.com/store/cart.php?
target=category&category_id=13

As for Strenght training i found the followng book to be helpful

The body sculpting book for women
It helped me lose 15 pounds!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1578260868/
sr=8-1/qid=1152121263/ref=sr_1_1/104-7843223-1923943?ie=UTF8

Hope i haven't discourdaged you i wish you the best and if i can asnwer anything for you again, please feel free to contact me.
tourist
Posted 2006-07-05 5:09 PM (#57807 - in reply to #57766)
Subject: RE: Pilates and Strength train

Expert Yogi

Thanks throwtoy. I don't think people have any inkling of just how exact and precise Pilates is intended to be. I believe there used to be a requirement of many private lessons before one was allowed to proceed to group work?

I've broken up the URLs to make it easier to read the screen. Don't know how to make them back into full links - sorry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)