YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New comer with "old question"
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

jingjing2006
Posted 2006-06-28 1:29 PM (#57043)
Subject: New comer with "old question"

Hi everyone here

I am new here and also new for the Yoga. I just seriously started to practice Ashtaga yoga for 3 weeks. 5 times a week. Before that , I have been doing regular vigrous exercise for almost 2 years. Everyday I work out 1.5 hour and I eat very healthy too( I only eat 1300-1350 calorie /day) . However all these efforts hasn't help me to reach my ultimate fitness goal. My body fat percent is around 22%. I would like to be 20% or 19%.

Most of my body fat is around my waist line ,arm and back. Especially my arm size (9.5 inch) is almost same as my leg carf ,therefore I can't really wear any strapless top.
I tried heavy weigh training for 1 year, however it really doesn't work. Many of my friends suggest me to practice yoga for body tonig and weight loss.

Does anyone here give me some tips for changing my body shape?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jingjing2006 2006-06-28 1:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-28 2:19 PM (#57054 - in reply to #57043)
Subject: RE: New comer with "old question"

so, like,

When you look in the mirror what do you see?

how tall are you?
what is your weight?
from where is your dissatisfaction coming?

can yoga change your shape? Absolutely, but that's not all.

jingjing2006
Posted 2006-06-28 2:58 PM (#57057 - in reply to #57054)

SCThornley - 2006-06-28 2:19 PM

so, like,

When you look in the mirror what do you see?

how tall are you?
what is your weight?
from where is your dissatisfaction coming?

Hey SCThornley,

I am not very tall, only 5 feet, 102 lb. General speaking, I look fit and I built up some muscle via my past 2 years cardio and weight training execrises. However, my body shape hasn't reach my ultimate goal. Madano 's body shape is amazing for her age. I wonder how can get same abs and toned arm like hers. I wonder if it's possilbe for Yoga to challeng natural gene. The reason i thought that, because I have similar body shape as my Mom. She has very slim legs and lower body,however her middle waist line and arm are really big!!!!!!!!!!

I worried that I will never change my shape because of that gene. But I saw so many celebrity get an amazing body shape through their hard work. I am very serious about bodyshaping. I am willing to do what it takes. Any good tip ?

Thanks

SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-28 3:09 PM (#57058 - in reply to #57043)

daily exercise and natural diet

don't do anything to excess

but it really sounds like your quite on your way to controlling your figure

and you sound absolutely tiny

i'm around 6'9'' and 270 lbs so you'd look like a munchin next to me

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-28 3:11 PM
jingjing2006
Posted 2006-06-29 7:59 AM (#57108 - in reply to #57058)

SCThornley - 2006-06-28 3:09 PM

daily exercise and natural diet

don't do anything to excess

but it really sounds like your quite on your way to controlling your figure

and you sound absolutely tiny

i'm around 6'9'' and 270 lbs so you'd look like a munchin next to me

I wonder should I cut all the meat and seafood from my diet then ? I am not a meat lover, however i do love to eat fish. But lately I read an article said 'Fish " is bad for yogis, enve said NO eggs!!!

In that article, it also suggest that I should eat my food in very bland way. Are these tips are real ? It seems that I only can eat veggetables , fruits ,whole wheat with some plain taste.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-29 8:13 AM (#57110 - in reply to #57043)

there's lots of food that has flavor without meat or fish

Zoebird has posted some really neat recipes

but, i'd have to say that my diet is pretty bland.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-29 1:57 PM (#57145 - in reply to #57043)

jingjing2006 - 2006-06-28 1:29 PM

Hi everyone here

I am new here and also new for the Yoga. I just seriously started to practice Ashtaga yoga for 3 weeks. 5 times a week. Before that , I have been doing regular vigrous exercise for almost 2 years. Everyday I work out 1.5 hour and I eat very healthy too( I only eat 1300-1350 calorie /day) . However all these efforts hasn't help me to reach my ultimate fitness goal. My body fat percent is around 22%. I would like to be 20% or 19%.

Most of my body fat is around my waist line ,arm and back. Especially my arm size (9.5 inch) is almost same as my leg carf ,therefore I can't really wear any strapless top.
I tried heavy weigh training for 1 year, however it really doesn't work. Many of my friends suggest me to practice yoga for body tonig and weight loss.

Thanks in advance.

Take private class from experienced Yoga Teacher.
MidPack
Posted 2006-06-29 10:00 PM (#57188 - in reply to #57043)

Hi everyone here

Thanks in advance.

I am probably more knowledgeable on the first two, but I have a lot of experience with all three and I am still active in all of them (different benefits from each). And I have been through weight loss/body fat plateaus with all three types of exercise. At similar intensity (and that's pretty hard to pin down), the best forms of exercise for weight loss are (in order):

1) Cardio, look at serious runners, bikers, etc.
2) Weightlifting, it does work. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but you said you tried "heavy weight training for a year" and it didn't work. If you mean that literally (ie, heavy weights-low reps), you're not going to lose weight lifting that way. You have to structure your workouts for weight loss OR strength/muscle mass/bulk OR power - different workouts for different objectives.
3) Yoga. Not that it doesn't have it's own merits head and shoulders above the other two, but weight loss isn't a primary benefit of yoga unless you do a lot of a very vigorous style of yoga. You'll get more weight loss benefit in the same amount of time from cardio than yoga. But if you like yoga, do it, but understand you will have to work harder and longer for the same weight loss result.

Edited by MidPack 2006-06-29 10:06 PM
jingjing2006
Posted 2006-06-30 8:00 AM (#57224 - in reply to #57188)

MidPack - 2006-06-29 10:00 PM

Hi everyone here

Thanks in advance.

I am probably more knowledgeable on the first two, but I have a lot of experience with all three and I am still active in all of them (different benefits from each). And I have been through weight loss/body fat plateaus with all three types of exercise. At similar intensity (and that's pretty hard to pin down), the best forms of exercise for weight loss are (in order):

1) Cardio, look at serious runners, bikers, etc.
2) Weightlifting, it does work. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but you said you tried "heavy weight training for a year" and it didn't work. If you mean that literally (ie, heavy weights-low reps), you're not going to lose weight lifting that way. You have to structure your workouts for weight loss OR strength/muscle mass/bulk OR power - different workouts for different objectives.
3) Yoga. Not that it doesn't have it's own merits head and shoulders above the other two, but weight loss isn't a primary benefit of yoga unless you do a lot of a very vigorous style of yoga. You'll get more weight loss benefit in the same amount of time from cardio than yoga. But if you like yoga, do it, but understand you will have to work harder and longer for the same weight loss result.

Hi midpak,

Thanks for the advice. You really sounds professional and knowledgeable.
Right now I am doing Ashtaga yoga which is kinda of vigrous . Also I am trying to running 24 mile /week. For weight lifting, right now I decided to cut back ,coz ashtaga yoga bring silmiar benefits for weight traing. Since I have been doing intensive cardio and weight trainging for quite a while, I decide to stick on yoga and running to increase my flexbility and my core strenght.

Really hope those will work on me

MidPack
Posted 2006-06-30 7:02 PM (#57263 - in reply to #57043)

That's quite a program, should provide spectacular results. Best of luck...
Nick
Posted 2006-07-02 11:52 AM (#57358 - in reply to #57224)

Hi Jingjing,
In my own experience, losing weight takes a great deal of patience, for an adult, it is not something that happens overnight, not without surgery. And i think that the longer that you have been over-weight, the harder it is to shake it off. Give yourself two years of exercise, and then weigh yourself again. Better still, dump the scales, and use your eyes. Re-evaluate your impression of your ideal body as you get older, so that you can do what is best for you, rather than something that is not atainable
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2006-07-28 10:46 AM (#60088 - in reply to #57043)
Subject: RE: New comer with "old questi

Nick- I would hardly say that 5feet 102 lbs is overweight..
Jingjing2006- I'd kill to have arms like yours.
I think the real question is being overlooked here... what is going on with your body image? Why do you feel the need to look like models and people in magazines? it's well known that a lot of that "muscle-tone" is, in fact, airbrushed on. What's going on in your life that makes you feel "less than" if you are not rock solid. I can't tell if you are a woman or a man (I'm going to guess a woman) and say that us ladies are healthiest at 22-25% body fat. That's when all of our lady parts work the best.
I've struggle with body image my entire life. I've been on a losing trend for over a year now. My arms are 15" right now and I wear strapless and sleeveless with pride. Am I perfect? Heck, no! Am I happy with where I am? Yes. Do I want to still improve? Yes.. but I am also realistic about my body shape. I am a short, stocky, strong, powerful woman. I will never be a willowy model (and for me and my hubby- I don't want to look like that). Even at my goal weight, I doubt I'd be any smaller than a size 10. And I'm cool with that (esp., because I used to be a 22!!) My heritage does not allow me to be very small. I have a lot of bone and a lot of muscle (my nutritionist laughed at my body comp- I have more bone and muscle that your entire body weighs!) I'm only 5'4"- not much taller than you..

so I am suggesting you challenge yourself in a different way.. ask yourself the hard questions.. can you love yourself now? can you love your arms if they never get smaller than your calves? can you love yourself if you never have 6-pack abs (that muscle definition is genetic- look at athletes, not all of them can get it either)? Can you look in the mirror and tell yourself that where you are today is great? You work really hard to have the body you have.....live in it, love it, learn with it!

Posted 2006-08-17 12:44 AM (#61886 - in reply to #57043)

I'm sorry for being stodgy, what exactly is wrong with your body shape at 5'0" and 105 pounds?

How did you determine your body fat? Upon what are you basing your body fat goals?

What are you eating and when please?

Do you own and tops that are not strapless? Can you wear those?

Why exactly can't your arms be 9.5 inches and your calves be the same size?

Once you respnd to these I'll see if I might provide more direction.

DownwardDog
Posted 2006-08-17 3:48 AM (#61894 - in reply to #57043)
Subject: RE: New comer with "old questi

I think that it might be worth exploring why you are so intent on attaining the perfect body shape and size.

It honestly doesn't matter - we are all built differently, so it's silly to compare ourselves to others.

I hope that you find more in yoga than toning and weight loss.

Good luck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)