YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone seen my feet?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-27 9:29 AM (#56892)
Subject: Has anyone seen my feet?

My Iyengar teacher was on a foot fetish last night. I now know I don't stand correctly and my brain understands what to do to be right in the pose. My feet haven't a clue however and feel like leaving home this morning How in heavens one pulls ones metacarpels back is a physiological mystery even though I've seen it done. As for getting the two sides of one's calf muscles even with nice even creases each side....

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-06-27 9:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-06-27 10:33 AM (#56900 - in reply to #56892)
Subject: RE: Has anyone seen my feet?

Expert Yogi

I know what you mean. I think I have the metatarsal action going now and am torturing my own students with it but it took some time - like years As for the calf muscle, my Hellerworker is in charge of that - I don't think I will be able to make that happen on my own. She has done wonders with my lordosis so I have faith that if I pay her enough and go through enough agony, this too will happen

My claim to foot fame is that I can wiggle my baby toe without moving any of my other toes. But I learned that in high school when I really had nothing better to do with my time
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-27 11:06 AM (#56905 - in reply to #56900)

I bet you wiggle your little toes whenever you feel your students aren't listening, don't you?!

Fee
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-27 11:30 AM (#56911 - in reply to #56892)

Haha, I learned to juggle in high school, and still feel like running off to join the circus sometimes.

I was up close and personal with my feet yesterday and noticed they could use some attention.

By the way Orbilia, I've been taking your advise for 2 dogs and 2 triangles, I've been pressed for time lately, and I like it. Thanks.
Nick
Posted 2006-06-27 11:59 AM (#56915 - in reply to #56900)

Hi Glenda,
How about a pair of teloscopic heels, which you can press a button on, and the heels come out, like the shoes that the evil russian agent tried to kill sean connery with in one of the bond films-except when she tapped her heels, daggers came out of the front of the shoe. Maybe you could incorporate that as well, to keep your partner alert
Nick
Debby
Posted 2006-06-27 6:50 PM (#56955 - in reply to #56915)

Nick - 2006-06-27 9:59 AM

shoes that the evil russian agent tried to kill sean connery with in one of the bond films-except when she tapped her heels, daggers came out of the front of the shoe.Nick

From Russia With Love -- One of my favorites! (but then I've seen them all a dozen times)

Deb
Nick
Posted 2006-06-27 6:53 PM (#56956 - in reply to #56955)

Hi Debby,
And who's you're favourite Bond? And Bond girl? just checking
I think my favourite bond girl is the one who kills the guy by wrapping her legs around his neck-proving I'm bacically just a pervert in sheeps clothing, but there you go
Take care
Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-28 5:43 AM (#57000 - in reply to #56911)

You're welcome. I usually add a standing forward bend as well as that unlocks my sacrum better than the other two but they just about cover the rest of the body.

*ggg* Up close and personal with your feet? You were in plough pose then? :-)

Fee

bstqltmkr - 2006-06-27 4:30 PM

Haha, I learned to juggle in high school, and still feel like running off to join the circus sometimes.

I was up close and personal with my feet yesterday and noticed they could use some attention.

By the way Orbilia, I've been taking your advise for 2 dogs and 2 triangles, I've been pressed for time lately, and I like it. Thanks.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-28 5:44 AM (#57001 - in reply to #56956)

We knew this already about you, Nick ;-)

Fee

Nick - 2006-06-28 11:53 PM

Hi Debby,
I think my favourite bond girl is the one who kills the guy by wrapping her legs around his neck-proving I'm bacically just a pervert in sheeps clothing, but there you go
Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-06-29 3:43 AM (#57105 - in reply to #57000)

Hi Fi,
I nknow I'm going to be sorry I asked, but what do you mean by drawing back the metatarsals? Is this the instruction used to get the student to squeeze the floor with the feet (makes us more powerful). Was the objective to get you to use the muscles on the the sole of the foot and the calf muscles to create a better foundation for posture and movement? I use the instruction to squeeze the floor all the time in my classes and in my practice, but am having difficulty visualizing the metatarsals going back-chiefly because this is not physically possible Not unless you kick something with sufficient force to drive the metatarsal back into the cuboid or cuneiform bones. Thiws may be why you have difficulty performing the action-people that apear to be able to do it, are actually visulaizing it in a different way and are actually performing a different action. Even if you could do it, it would be a foolish thing to do, making the foot stiff and uncompliant, unable to adapt, excessive joint compression, and changes in your overall posture to compensate for the loss of a functional foot. So don't worry if you don't get it!
Take care
Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2006-06-29 5:41 AM (#57107 - in reply to #57105)

Oh, you can see it happen when it's done. I think it's described as drawing back as that's what it looks like. I'm sure that the actual action is probably something different which is why my feet are saying "What?!" when my brain talks to them

Tourist will probably expand on this but as far as I've grasped so far :

Stand in Tadasana and lift the toes off the floor. This lifts the arches and aids getting the body weight even on both sides of the heel and on the joint at the base of the big toe. Press the outer heel into the inner heel. Lower the toes without dropping the arches or allowing the inner ankles to drop inward. Accurate posture should result in the inner thighs spiralling outward and the head of the femurs being sucked in. It should also aid in lifting the knees up and back so opening the back of the knee. At the same time, the muscle bundles in the calf (left and right) should be even, as should the indentations between the muscle groups on the sides of the calves.

I beleive the main aim overall is to get your feet totally rooted to the floor so that all standing postures start from a solid base and all leg joints are protected from shear forces, e.g. during the twist in triangle pose.

I have to say that this is what I find totally amazing about Iyengar as compared with Sivananda, the attention to minute parts of the body in incredible levels of detail. I would never have thought that I would be learning to control areas of my body as small as 2 inches diameter which seems to be the case with all the work I've been doing in class on my inner groins for example.

Fee
tourist
Posted 2006-06-29 10:27 AM (#57130 - in reply to #57107)

Expert Yogi

Nick - I think the goal of the instruction is the same as your instruction. I find the words used change from time to time as a teacher discovers something that works well.
Nick
Posted 2006-06-29 1:22 PM (#57138 - in reply to #57130)

hi Glenda,
Thought as much, just wanted to make sure, cheers
Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-30 10:35 AM (#57236 - in reply to #56892)

Did I miss my chance to comment on killer shoes? I loved Charlize Theron's space age wedge heels in Eon Flux! Sometimes I could use that secret compartment.

Yay, I finished my work, and can do a full practice today! I need it.

I'm going to keep my eyes closed in certain poses, so I don't see any lack of grooming. Last week my teenaged daughter wouldn't let me go to class without shaving my armpits. She didn't believe that no one would care, and insisted. First I have to take care of the inside, and then I'll worry about the appearance.

Tourist- I totally agree that saying something a different way can really make somebody understand what you're trying to get across. A while ago a teacher said squeeze your muscles tightly to your bones, and I could really see it.
Debby
Posted 2006-06-30 3:31 PM (#57251 - in reply to #56956)

Nick - 2006-06-27 4:53 PM

Hi Debby,
Take care
Nick

Nick
My favorite James Bond is Sean Connery. (of course) Bond girl? OK I would much rather look at Sean than the women

I think the moving you're talking about is the one with Jimmy Dean? Was that Diamonds are Forever or am I getting them mixed up.

You are obvious an 007 fan also, huh?

Deb

Edited by Debby 2006-06-30 3:34 PM
Nick
Posted 2006-06-30 4:03 PM (#57255 - in reply to #57251)

Hi Debby,
I am a Bond fan, but only small time-dont know the names of all the actors-plus I was really put off by the last one I saw, which had the cheesiest lines that I have ever encountered-fair put me off seeing any films in future-no doubt i will relent
Nick
Debby
Posted 2006-06-30 6:35 PM (#57262 - in reply to #56892)

Wow this thread has really gone OT!

Back to feet, pulling metacarpals back? Is that possible? All I can think to do is raise and spread my toes.

Now back to the OT topic: Nick, I did not like Timothy Dalton as Bond. He was a very angry Bond. Pierce Bronsnan (sp?) was better, but now there is a new one, a blonde Bond. Is there a movie with him out? Have you seen it? Roger Moore was the 70's stylish Bond, just so-so.

Deb
Nick
Posted 2006-07-01 3:05 PM (#57302 - in reply to #57262)

Hi Debby,
You are quite right there is no such thing as pulling the metacarpals back-it may be one of those descriptrions yoga teachers use to get a difficult topic across to their students-but I think that it is misleading. All one needs to teach is to put a towel underneath the feet, and pull the towel back towards the heel with the toes-only slightly, it should just be the start of the movement, not too much muscle activation. This sets in train the proper activation of the muscles, where as pulling the metatarsals back does not-this is botrh an indication of the teacher's ignorance and is also detrimental to the student's health (i am now donning a bullet-proof jacket! ). saying words like metatarsal may convince the student that that the teacher is competent anatomically, but all it says to me is that they are arrogant, ignorant, and dangerous-as it would to anybody who has gone into some depth in the study of the human body-it is insulting both to the student and to yoga itself.
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)