YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"hot yoga" vs "bikram yoga"
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

opaque1997
Posted 2010-06-18 4:11 PM (#123565 - in reply to #56765)
Subject: RE: "hot yoga" vs "bikram yoga"

WHAT A RELIEF!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I have been trying various studios around me (Seattle, WA) and have had EXACTLY the same experience. I started at a Hot yoga studio - which teaches Bikram almost exclusively - but I noticed they don't publish that name (I've seen as Hot Hatha). A friend of mine came to the studio from a hot yoga studio (that teaches hot and cold classes as well as several types of hot) and enjoyed the studio. We then BOTH tried a studio with Bikram in the name. We were SHOCKED after class. We felt like we had been through the ringer and then some! It was a TOTALLY different experience where we felt pushed past our comfort or safety level. (Being encouraged is one thing - being looked down the instructor noses at for not going into Toe stand when we can't hold tree yet - totally different).

I left that studio after trying 3 teachers and talking to another and expressing my concern. I was told point blank - you were taught at a hot yoga studio and our way is better.

I went to another Bikram studio - the experience was slightly better - but then last night WHAM - I got a teacher that I felt was on a power trip (I'm sure thats not her intention - it is just how it came across).

I enjoy the heat as it helps loosen me up and really focus me (something about changing the temperature prepares me now ) However I like to be in control of my Yoga practice - not being forced, pushed or TOLD how and where and when. This last instructor didn't like the fact I was standing on a towel for toe - the floor they have hurts my feet and I had a wide enough stance. I was given no reason other then 'we don't use our towels that way'. I much prefer to practice where I'm in control of my yoga experience - but I do think this is a personal preference.

Thank you for having the discussion it makes me feel better to know others out there have seen this and I'm not crazy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2010-06-27 2:22 AM (#123708 - in reply to #123565)
Subject: RE: "hot yoga" vs "bikram yoga"

Extreme Veteran

Was one of the studios you went to in Renton. I can tell you my experience there through a private message, if it was and if you want to know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)