YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

finding cheap space
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

UpwardCat
Posted 2006-06-21 12:19 AM (#56365)
Subject: finding cheap space

I teach at a studio and at the Y, but my heart is really at the Y. I've got a deep commitment to the students there, all levels of practice and physical abilities. But the corporation is expanding and displacing us in favor of more weight rooms and cardio stuff. It's not for lack of interest. I need to find a venue to keep these students going; they can't afford to pay what my studio charges. Suggestions and brainstorming most welcome.

Wendy
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-06-21 7:36 AM (#56374 - in reply to #56365)
Subject: RE: finding cheap space

the cheapest space i've found is a room in my own home. If you can 'clear out' a room in your home and make it into a yoga studio, then the overhead will be really, really low. You can make a list of your clients at the Y (ask for their contact info), and then send everyone an email about when you're holding classes, how much they cost, etc.

if you can't use this, contact a local church or quaker meeting. many of them have meeting rooms that are inexpensive to rent if you're renting them for one to two hours a week. I rent from a quaker meeting and it's $15 per hour of use.

If the churches don't have space, then consider the fire hall or town center. Most have rooms for conferences or events. You might also try local parks and rec centers, aboretums, and nature centers. these places often have rooms and love to increase traffic in their area.

Finally, if you have a core group of really dedicated students who are friendly with each other, you might consider seeing if they would rotate classes through their homes. I have a group of six from one gym that whenever the gym changes the schedule and decreases classes, they get together and rotate through each other's homes and pay me independently. It's a really good option.
UpwardCat
Posted 2006-06-21 2:58 PM (#56437 - in reply to #56365)

Thanks--all good suggestions. I'll put out the word to people who might have some relationship with churches, etc. At the moment I'm feeling a little discouraged by the gentrification of yoga in this area--lovely but expensive studios opening while the affordable community spaces are disappearing.

Wendy
shnen
Posted 2006-06-21 3:19 PM (#56443 - in reply to #56365)

you can also see if your local community centres have programs - if you can register with them and offer through there - its definately a cheaper option.

Also - contact your Continuing education section of your local schoolboard - lots of instructors teach in highschool gyms after hours - and those are highly affordable too!

Good luck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)