YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how important is diet?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Posted 2006-06-22 10:49 AM (#56526 - in reply to #56522)
Subject: RE: how important is diet?

not all 'studies' are made by big food corp organizations or groups. many nutritional studies are--and it's easy to determine when they are and what they're paying for. But, there are a number of studies on foods in general, nutritional analysis, analysis and scientific study of traditional diets and their effect on health.

most of the information from which i glean the majority of my understanding and education about nutrition comes from independent studies from all over the world--ones that are not funded by big business or used to push forth a particular agenda. It's relatively easy to know how to read studies, and how to be a critical reader in regards to these studies.

that's an aspect of functional literacy afterall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 10:51 AM (#56527 - in reply to #56523)

Nice if you choose to spend the money to eat so wonderfully. I think people who choose living with less money can be just as healthy with beans and rice. While you prepare your food I will be walking on the beach with a banana and a glass of juice............but you did make my mouth water and it sounds wonderful.
judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 10:55 AM (#56530 - in reply to #56527)

functional literacy........I will have to see where that fits into the scheme on Unity.....I guess I will have to meditate on that one........it feels like a judgement.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 10:58 AM (#56531 - in reply to #56280)

i throw all sorts of grains into my wheat porridge

it's cheap and easy to make

but it doesn't really burst forth with flavor-pleasure-satisfaction

but i'm trying my best to release my attachments to flavor satisfaction
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-22 10:58 AM (#56532 - in reply to #56280)

Zoebird, you must be the ultimate travel companion, that sounded wonderful. Do you eat eggs? I didn't for a long time, but was feeling I needed more protien, and started adding an egg here and there. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I was having a problem with my hamstring and think it helped.

Posted 2006-06-22 11:10 AM (#56535 - in reply to #56530)

judamom - 2006-06-22 10:55 AM

functional literacy........I will have to see where that fits into the scheme on Unity.....I guess I will have to meditate on that one........it feels like a judgement.

identifying a level of skill is not passing judgement on an individual. just because a person isn't functionally literate (and many people aren't) doesn't mean that they're "bad people." it simply means that they're poorly educated. There's nothing "wrong" with being poorly educated. People who are not functionally literate have no less diginty and value than people who are functionally literate. therefore, identifying the problem of 'functional illiteracy' as an issue for education reform and so that individuals can be more educated and empowered is not passing judgement on individuals who are not functionally literate.

Functional literacy is defined as the ability to read a non-fiction work of a certain length with critical comprehension of the ideas within and the ability to understand the structure of the argument.

Being functionally literate is incredibly helpful in being a critical reader, communicator, and consumer. It is important to understand the mechanisms of language, to be a careful reader, to be able to see through certain mechanisms of language and rhetorical structure that are meant to persuade from a false inference or from an inference that is not as appropriate (perhaps comes from an assumption which is less reasonable) or from a false assumption. Many people who are educated in the US do not have these basic reading skills.

I often know that this is the case because people cannot see through some of the most glaringly obvious elements of articles that would indicate their rhetorical strategies and how they fail to function logically. For example, many people will read an article published by "the beef council" regarding the nutritional information related to beef. But they will not question the origin of this article and their profit-making venture. Their inability to do this often demonstrates a lack of critical ability--not faculty, but rather that they were not educated to think about it that way. these individuals certainly have the *intellegence* to understand these arguments and think critically about them, they simply do not have the *skills* to do so.

Not having a specific skill doesnt' mean that a person is 'less valuable' or 'bad.' It simply means they don't have the skill. I don't have the skill to place world-cup class soccer. I'm not a 'bad person" i'm just a "bad soccer player"--but it doesn't mean that i am a less valuable person than Mia Hamm--we just have different levels of skill. and she also has a level of talent for it too. some people have literacy talent that other's don't admittedly. one of my former profs in cultural studies is much mroe talented at parcing out and breaking down arguments than i am--but i'm no less skilled than he is, and certainly no less valuable as a human being, just less talented.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 11:15 AM (#56537 - in reply to #56280)

you were both saying the same thing

limiting caloric intake while maximizing nutritive value has been proved in laboratory settings as being the optimum recipe for longevity

in rats

some folks have proved this in humans
judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 11:19 AM (#56541 - in reply to #56535)

I am sorry, I could not make it through all that.....all I know is I am extremely healthy and I am heading off on a wonderful vacation (family reunion) and driving by myself so I will have the opportunity to ponder life and how well it treats me. Namaste to all for some weeks
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 11:25 AM (#56545 - in reply to #56541)

judamom - 2006-06-22 11:19 AM

I am sorry, I could not make it through all that.....all I know is I am extremely healthy and I am heading off on a wonderful vacation (family reunion) and driving by myself so I will have the opportunity to ponder life and how well it treats me. Namaste to all for some weeks

lotsa words can lose the intention quite quickly

PEACE on your voyage/travels

Posted 2006-06-22 11:27 AM (#56547 - in reply to #56527)

judamom:

in regards to time used to prepare food, i find it important to point out that i enjoy preparing food as another might enjoy watching TV or walking on the beach. I also do take the opportunity to walk on beaches and eat bananas. but i cannot live on bananas alone.

similarly, to the issue of the cost of the food, my husband and i are not wealthy people. I teach yoga (pretty much part time) and my husband works as a technical writer/editor. We are not wealthy, but we are consciencious spenders. Our food is not terribly expensive, but it is more expensive than many of our friends spend on their food. Many of my friends prefer processed foods and the ability to pay for cable and high speed internet. I do not judge them for the way that they spend their money--it is their choice of course. My husband and i cut a lot of 'corners' in order to afford high-quality food that sustains our health and vitality.

I also work with a local co-op that takes organic, free range produce, dairy products, and meats into inner-city communities so that those with less income than we have can afford high quality food. food distribution in cities is horrible and food stamps and related generally only cover processed foods. Through this coop, we've been able to provide food for many people, and our coop can now accept food stamps!

While i agree that people can do well on simple 'beans and rice' nutritionally, it is also important to point out that this will only last for so long. beans and rice do not provide enough vitamin C, for example, to prevent scruvy. Salad greens--even picking weeds such as red clover and dandelion, poke and chickweed--are essential for some nutrients (be wary of picking weeds near roads, though, they'll have a higher lead content due to emmissions). Beans and rice also don't provide enough vitamin B12, which is important for neurological health. While people can manage for a number of years on b12 stores (assuming those stores are large enough to begin with), without a diverse diet that includes a source of b12 (either supplemental with cyanocobalamin or mythlcobalamin--or through natural cobalamin found in meat, eggs, and dairy products), they will have neurological damange. Food diversity is really important for long term health.

Posted 2006-06-22 11:32 AM (#56550 - in reply to #56280)

i guess i should also point out that i wasn't talking about anyone's diet or processes specificly.

i don't care what anyone else eats. I don't care how anyone else determines what to eat.

rather, the OP was about dietary education. I think the solution to the problem of misinformation disseminated in regards to diet is functional literacy.

i think that all of the information that i've read and my own process and experience (intuitive, etc) ddemonstrates that a diverse diet based in whole foods at the appropriate caloric intake will lead to lasting health and longevity.

it's no judgement on anyone else. if you 'feel' judged, then look to how you may be judging yourself and then casting that onto others.

Posted 2006-06-22 11:50 AM (#56558 - in reply to #56531)

have you considered adding herbs and related? i make a mean porridge that people eat for dessert:

boil your wheat, various other grains (kamut, aramanth, farro, millet and quinoa) with walnuts and almonds, dried cherries, cranberries, or whatever other dried fruit you want (i recently made it with dried cranberries, golden raisins, and dried apricots). While the water was boiling off, i made a milk reduction for it. I started by placing vanilla beans in the milk and adding some black-strap molasses (rich in nutrients). stirring and not letting it come to a boil, i take the VB out once the milk has a slightly vanilla taste. I then add cinnamon, nutmeg--basicly pie spices--and add a bit of yogurt or whole cream. Everything reduces down a bit, and then i put it over the porridge.

seriously, people use this as dessert and one of my friends uses it as the 'stuffing' at thanksgiving. It's nutritionally diverse, very flavorful. so, you get both taste and nutrition!
tourist
Posted 2006-06-22 7:40 PM (#56614 - in reply to #56558)

Expert Yogi

I like adding dried and fresh fruit to my morning porridge, but I can see where Steve is going with this idea of reducing dependency, or maybe attachment to is a better phrase, on the sensations involved with taste. It is a bit like your media fasts, ZB. And remember, he eats with his family for supper so there is a whole other spectrum of foods and tastes there.

I was just reading Tony Bourdain's latest book (celebrity chef, for those not "foodie" ) and it is interesting that most chefs from typical western, meat and sauce based restaurants really go for simple food and clean, clear flavours like sushi in their off hours.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-22 10:13 PM (#56628 - in reply to #56280)

I love eggs! I'm almost completely incapable of cooking for myself, but I'm learning to make all sorts of things with eggs.... Just no other way to get eggs into my diet.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-06-23 5:22 AM (#56648 - in reply to #56280)

I consider making salad dressing cooking, and that's my token effort, I am a terrible cook, and so mostly eat rice and vegetables and fruit that's easy to peel

I know it's really important to eat well, because in my running days I had to really take protein and carbs in a lot, through energy drinkd, glucose suplements, energy bars, that horrible gel you squeeze into your mouth during a race,...

Now I try and eat ok and healthy, but seeing I don't cook it gets a bit bland.

I don't eat bread and limit dairy, they both make me bloat, I also avoid sugar, unless i'm really craving cake

Oh and no caffeine

Edited by DownwardDog 2006-06-23 5:23 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-23 8:41 AM (#56657 - in reply to #56628)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-06-22 10:13 PM

I love eggs! I'm almost completely incapable of cooking for myself, but I'm learning to make all sorts of things with eggs.... Just no other way to get eggs into my diet.

Hey GJ,

Ever tried "Deviled Eggs" - Southern Style???? Boil the eggs for 15 minutes, a steady rolling boil. Add some sea salt to the water before you place the eggs in and add eggs and water at the same time, before it boils. Then cut the eggs in a perfect half, take out yolks and place in a separate bowl. Line the egg whites on a plate. Mix some Mayonnaise, sweet cubed salad pickles (or relish will do too), salt and pepper together with the yolks. Mix really well. Then add the yolk mixture back to the eggs to make it look like you added the missing yolks back in. Then sprinkle with paprika to make it look pretty...not a lot, a tiny amount goes a loooong way.

There you go. These are great for appetizers for a party. I usuallly have to hide these from my kids, they would have all but 2 or 3 left when we would have company over. They're easy to snatch from the frig without Mom seeing them,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-23 8:43 AM (#56658 - in reply to #56280)

Eggs aren't my favorite, so I whip them into my soup, and try to ignore them. I have a terrible craving for bagels in the morning. I only eat a half (of course they're so big these days), and I switched to 12 grain, with flaxseed, but I can't help but crave bread in the morning.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-23 10:37 AM (#56681 - in reply to #56658)

Expert Yogi

BQ - great - now I am craving my Tuesday morning bagel! Most of the year I teacher a 7 am class on Tuesdays and go for coffee and a bagel before work. The guy at the coffee shop teases me because I don't eat any of his homemade baking but I just love that bagel with a big schmear of cream cheese. I may have to stop in today on my way to work now

Posted 2006-06-25 11:37 AM (#56761 - in reply to #56657)

I love Deviled Eggs! That reminds me of summer BBQs! I may just have to make up a batch today!

Edited by namaste2 2006-06-25 11:37 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-26 3:31 PM (#56846 - in reply to #56280)

does anybody eat figs

i eat 'em a lot
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-26 11:46 PM (#56879 - in reply to #56761)

namaste2 - 2006-06-25 11:37 AM

I love Deviled Eggs! That reminds me of summer BBQs! I may just have to make up a batch today!

Ditto! Deviled eggs sound wonderful Cyndi! I might just have to learn to make them.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-27 7:49 PM (#56967 - in reply to #56879)

Expert Yogi

Better get busy GJ, its a perfect weekend for Deviled Eggs, I gave you the directions...I KNOW you can do this,
joscmt
Posted 2006-07-28 11:14 AM (#60093 - in reply to #56531)

SCThornley- why are you trying to be so monastic with your diet? you could take your porridge and love it! Not just accept it. I think part of being healthy is enjoying and appreciating what we have been blessed with on this Earth. Now, I'm not saying to chop up slim jims and add cheese whiz to your porridge....talk about PROCESSED!! BUT, why not add fresh chopped herbs? stir in a little curried yogurt (I don't know if you eat dairy)? All of these things can be organic and natural and still leave you with a little smile on your face. You remind me of my brother and his way of thinking.
Healthy food= bland. Bad-for-you-food= bursting with flavor. I don't believe it has to be this way.

I have a somewhat peculiar situation. I have a food addiction problem that I have addressed in several ways and I am well into my recovery program.. BUT, I do see a nutritionist and she tells me how much to eat, what to eat, and when. For example- for breakfast, I have 1 fruit, 1 starch, 3 proteins, and 3 dairy. What I put into each category is my choice- but I weigh it all out.
Because for so long I had forgotten what hunger felt like. I had all that propoganda in my head- low carb, low fat, high carb, high protein--- I didn't know what to eat & my body was riddled with pain and discomfort. Now that I am eating a balanced diet throughout the day, my body is finding it's natural weight, I feel hunger again, and my pain and discomfort is gone. I no longer have headaches, stomach aches, and I haven't been sick since Jan 2005!!!! So if the question on this thread is how important is diet?? For me, it's very important, crucial. I was slowly committing suicide with my old ways of eating.
Do I think that people are over or undereducated? Yes to both. Do I feel that my (American) society feeds into people's confusion? Yes. Do I feel that when people hear that the average woman is a size 14, they are secretly happy? Yes. Do they qualify overweight as now normal? Yes. Is overweight accepted? Not at all. I was more invisible to society at 252lbs than I am now at 180. The bigger we are, the smaller we feel inside.
Again, another long rant by me......
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-28 11:24 AM (#60095 - in reply to #60093)

joscmt - 2006-07-28 11:14 AM

SCThornley- why are you trying to be so monastic with your diet? you could take your porridge and love it! Not just accept it. I think part of being healthy is enjoying and appreciating what we have been blessed with on this Earth. Now, I'm not saying to chop up slim jims and add cheese whiz to your porridge....talk about PROCESSED!! BUT, why not add fresh chopped herbs? stir in a little curried yogurt (I don't know if you eat dairy)? All of these things can be organic and natural and still leave you with a little smile on your face. You remind me of my brother and his way of thinking.
Healthy food= bland. Bad-for-you-food= bursting with flavor. I don't believe it has to be this way.

I have a somewhat peculiar situation. I have a food addiction problem that I have addressed in several ways and I am well into my recovery program.. BUT, I do see a nutritionist and she tells me how much to eat, what to eat, and when. For example- for breakfast, I have 1 fruit, 1 starch, 3 proteins, and 3 dairy. What I put into each category is my choice- but I weigh it all out.
Because for so long I had forgotten what hunger felt like. I had all that propoganda in my head- low carb, low fat, high carb, high protein--- I didn't know what to eat & my body was riddled with pain and discomfort. Now that I am eating a balanced diet throughout the day, my body is finding it's natural weight, I feel hunger again, and my pain and discomfort is gone. I no longer have headaches, stomach aches, and I haven't been sick since Jan 2005!!!! So if the question on this thread is how important is diet?? For me, it's very important, crucial. I was slowly committing suicide with my old ways of eating.
Do I think that people are over or undereducated? Yes to both. Do I feel that my (American) society feeds into people's confusion? Yes. Do I feel that when people hear that the average woman is a size 14, they are secretly happy? Yes. Do they qualify overweight as now normal? Yes. Is overweight accepted? Not at all. I was more invisible to society at 252lbs than I am now at 180. The bigger we are, the smaller we feel inside.
Again, another long rant by me......

I just don't get the same excitement from flavor as I once did and my diet choices have become more for maintenance of my body instead of enjoyment through my senses.

I just don't enjoy it like I used to, that's all.

I still can taste the wonderful flavors of a lovingly created meal, and I appreciate the love, I just don't get the same appreciation of the characteristics of the food.

I'm no monk.

I'm not monastic. I'm a householder with a wife and four kids and if I don't watch out it'll be five in the next year.

I still appreciate the 'flavor' of some things.

My diet is bland and very cheap. That's OK. I don't really need much for the food.

Heck, if I have a burrito with a little salsa, THAT's A PARTY in my MOUTH!!!!
But, I know that very quickly the senses subside and the feelings of euphoria that the food help provide leave and these temporary sensations are less and less intriguing for my psyche as time goes on.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-07-28 11:29 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-07-28 11:29 AM (#60097 - in reply to #60093)

Expert Yogi

jo - SCT's system seems to work for him, and although I love my morning porridge, my chef-in-training daughter is here right now and there is sooooo much yummy (and healthy) food in the fridge, I am taking a holiday from the routine and branching out for a few days. But there is something stabilizing and grounding about having some part of my diet that is usually unchanging - something that I don't have to put any effort into thinking about - so I get where SCT is coming from. And of course, he has wonderful (I assume: wink: ) dinners of more typical food with his delightful family.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)