YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how important is diet?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 10:35 AM (#56280)
Subject: how important is diet?

well,

discussion open, feel free to hijack at any time

I think, capital I, that there is not enough education on diet in our society

i believe that folks think that they can 'common sense' the fitness of their body with exercise and that they can be flexible on the diet and achieve that "fit look"

over years i've learned that if i'm not strict with my diet i immediately pack on the pounds

a lot of folks may have a much higher metabolism than me and can allow themselves more freedom with their food, but from what i see when i'm at the grocery store or out in public and watching the news is that people are letting themselves eat whatever they feel like, and worshipping their taste buds' pleasures and are very, very fat.

i believe that as a society we are fat because of success at food production, but it seems that the feast is never ending and there are so many special occasions for feast that nothing is special anymore and noone wants to stop feasting

even going out to dinner doesn't seem special anymore, because it's done all the time

it seems that, for me, i've had to restrain my urge and deny myself a lot of 'food pleasures' to make myself even appreciate them any longer.

but after going through the exercise with so many different foods and drinks, even this exercise has led to the conclusion that:

we don't seem to eat for sustenance, we (in my opinion) seem to eat for pleasure.

this 'pleasure seeking through food' tends to leave me unfulfilled, like i shouldn't be satisfied with this, there has to be more to satisfaction, ya' know?

maybe that's why my yoga practice has continued to expand, so that i fill in these spaces that 'food pleasure' cannot satisfy.

of course, i understand that food is a touchy subject, it's practically cultural identy in itself

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-20 11:04 AM (#56291 - in reply to #56280)
Subject: RE: how important is diet?

SCThornley - 2006-06-20 10:35 AM

well,

discussion open, feel free to hijack at any time

I think, capital I, that there is not enough education on diet in our society

i believe that folks think that they can 'common sense' the fitness of their body with exercise and that they can be flexible on the diet and achieve that "fit look"

over years i've learned that if i'm not strict with my diet i immediately pack on the pounds

a lot of folks may have a much higher metabolism than me and can allow themselves more freedom with their food, but from what i see when i'm at the grocery store or out in public and watching the news is that people are letting themselves eat whatever they feel like, and worshipping their taste buds' pleasures and are very, very fat.

i believe that as a society we are fat because of success at food production, but it seems that the feast is never ending and there are so many special occasions for feast that nothing is special anymore and noone wants to stop feasting

even going out to dinner doesn't seem special anymore, because it's done all the time

it seems that, for me, i've had to restrain my urge and deny myself a lot of 'food pleasures' to make myself even appreciate them any longer.

but after going through the exercise with so many different foods and drinks, even this exercise has led to the conclusion that:

we don't seem to eat for sustenance, we (in my opinion) seem to eat for pleasure.

this 'pleasure seeking through food' tends to leave me unfulfilled, like i shouldn't be satisfied with this, there has to be more to satisfaction, ya' know?

maybe that's why my yoga practice has continued to expand, so that i fill in these spaces that 'food pleasure' cannot satisfy.

of course, i understand that food is a touchy subject, it's practically cultural identy in itself

Disagreed! The fact is that there is too much education on diet in our society. But, the education is giving what is NOT true or is giving distorted image of what and how of diet. That is why the diet knowledge in the people's mind today is screwed up. In the past when they had not much knowledge they were either enjoying the bliss of ignorance, but still following natural diet almost correctly. Now, we are intelligent about diet in a screwed up way, so we suffer from the pain of confusion and the diseases which come out of non natural diet.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 11:21 AM (#56298 - in reply to #56291)

kulkarnn - 2006-06-20 11:04 AM
Disagreed! The fact is that there is too much education on diet in our society. But, the education is giving what is NOT true or is giving distorted image of what and how of diet. That is why the diet knowledge in the people's mind today is screwed up. In the past when they had not much knowledge they were either enjoying the bliss of ignorance, but still following natural diet almost correctly. Now, we are intelligent about diet in a screwed up way, so we suffer from the pain of confusion and the diseases which come out of non natural diet.

but it isn't really education then is it,

it's simply propaganda for a product---not wisdom
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-20 7:35 PM (#56338 - in reply to #56280)

I think Neel's correct. Way way to much of the programming on TV is propaganda for us to indulge ourselves in various foods. There are some commercials that feature people eating healthy food (the quaker oats commercials come to mind), but they're really few and far between.

My teacher likes to say that the food that we consume as a society has one defining characteristic. It's cheap. It's cheap to grow, cheap to produce, and cheap to store. It has NOTHING to do with the food's ability to provide our bodies with the nourishment they need.

Unfortunately, I really don't know what we SHOULD be eating instead. I do know that oatmeal is good for you, and basic food stuffs like vegatables, fruits and grains, but I'd be hard pressed to say more than that.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 7:40 PM (#56340 - in reply to #56338)

GreenJello - 2006-06-20 7:35 PM
Unfortunately, I really don't know what we SHOULD be eating instead. I do know that oatmeal is good for you, and basic food stuffs like vegatables, fruits and grains, but I'd be hard pressed to say more than that.

this is my point

you are not properly educated when it comes to nutrition
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-20 10:55 PM (#56359 - in reply to #56280)

Nutrition education is (dare I say it....yes I will) government propoganda. Most of the public are making food choices according to who has the catchiest advirtisement. I don't think the government or the food industry have our best interests in mind. Normal size is now considered skinny, and overweight is normal.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-21 10:27 AM (#56399 - in reply to #56359)

Expert Yogi

I think the average person DOES know what is healthy and what isn't. They just choose to ignore it. As GJ says - grains, fruit, veggies and depending on your choices, some dairy, meats and fish etc. Now, you can get a bit crazy looking at organic, what fish has mercury etc., but if you leave that out, you have the essentials of a healthy diet.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-21 11:14 AM (#56405 - in reply to #56280)

so,

anybody eat Potatoes?

i pretty much only eat them as fries, with Ketchup.

but i eat oatmeal with flaxseed and a bit of honey for breakfast

and for lunch i eat a whole grain porridge

dinner is whatever my wife decides we will eat
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-21 2:26 PM (#56431 - in reply to #56280)

Everything you could want from god to potatoes. I like potato lentil hash, but everything has to be cooked separately, and then put together, so it's more work and time. Ahhh, everything is suddenly deep and philosophical.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-21 6:25 PM (#56454 - in reply to #56280)

Steve, your diet sounds good, but boring. You should get some variety to avoid missing out on some essential stuff that nobody knows about yet.

Posted 2006-06-21 6:51 PM (#56455 - in reply to #56280)

i agree that few people are educated in nutrition.

but i do not think it is the responsibility of others--such as the government--to educate us. instead, education should be focused on developing functional literacy so that individuals can teach themselves what they want and need to know.

i have a diverse vegetarian diet. i go 'easy' on complex carbohydrates because i function better when i do. but, i eat as many complex carbohydrates as i want--which is the right amount for me.

i do not listen to nutritional sound bites or product advertisements that simply tell me something is healthy. i learn about sound nutrition, i learn about chemicals and the reactions of them in my body, and i decide whether or not i want to eat that.

so, i consume a whole foods diet low in processed foods. and that's simple enough.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-21 7:35 PM (#56460 - in reply to #56455)

Expert Yogi

ZB - your motto is a good one. A group I used to work with has as a guiding prinicple : Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible. I have found that to be helpful over the years.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-21 8:29 PM (#56462 - in reply to #56454)

GreenJello - 2006-06-21 6:25 PM

Steve, your diet sounds good, but boring. You should get some variety to avoid missing out on some essential stuff that nobody knows about yet.

man can not live by bread alone

that's one reason i wonder just how important diet really is?

Posted 2006-06-22 6:36 AM (#56482 - in reply to #56280)

well, we need nutrients in order to survive and thrive, so i would say that 'diet' is pretty important. but if you mean "diet" in terms of "strict dieting" or 'self control' and related, then i do not think that 'dieting' is important at all. A healthy diet--meaning good nutrition--is important for health. but, dieting is not important for health and can, in fact, inhibit health.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 8:49 AM (#56489 - in reply to #56482)

zoebird - 2006-06-22 6:36 AM

well, we need nutrients in order to survive and thrive, so i would say that 'diet' is pretty important. but if you mean "diet" in terms of "strict dieting" or 'self control' and related, then i do not think that 'dieting' is important at all. A healthy diet--meaning good nutrition--is important for health. but, dieting is not important for health and can, in fact, inhibit health.

i concur with your point of view on healthy

but for nutrient satisfaction we need very little, and tend to eat for variety and enjoyment.

we can nearly completely satisfy our nutrient needs with whole wheat porridge.
but that's boring, and not very tasty.

so, the enjoyment that we get out of food and feel satisfaction for, it appears that it is especially easy to grow attached to these enjoyments

Posted 2006-06-22 9:22 AM (#56494 - in reply to #56280)

actually, we cannot really meet most of our nutritional needs with whole wheat porridge. we need a variety of nutrients from a variety of sources--in general. And then, there are specific nutrient needs based on all sorts of other factors which are largely determined person-by-person. some need more protien than others, some more complex carbohydrates. some need vit A in it's straight form, others convert from beta carotene easily enough. it really 'all depends.'
judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 9:49 AM (#56499 - in reply to #56494)

It is only important if you want to feel no pain in your body and have a clear mind.....otherwise it is not important at all! Fruits and Vegetables, grains, legumes, rice, nuts.....is really all that is needed...all else is Marketing and Brain Wash that are so readily taken in by the masses...just look around you and you can see what we are doing is not working. Healthy people stick out like the abnormal but we want some else to tell us what to do with our temples rather than explore what works for us as an individual entitiy with the knowledge inside of ourselves to tell us exactly what is right for us. I do take that responsiblility and I am extremely healthy and what works for me may not work for anyone else on the planet. I need no one to tell me what to do when I have it all inside my head/heart or wherever all that wonderful guidence comes from.....and I am old but never bought in to all that "body wears out when your old stuff" anymore than I must. Wrinkles I accept with honor....pain never.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 9:56 AM (#56503 - in reply to #56494)

zoebird - 2006-06-22 9:22 AM

actually, we cannot really meet most of our nutritional needs with whole wheat porridge. we need a variety of nutrients from a variety of sources--in general. And then, there are specific nutrient needs based on all sorts of other factors which are largely determined person-by-person. some need more protien than others, some more complex carbohydrates. some need vit A in it's straight form, others convert from beta carotene easily enough. it really 'all depends.'

yes it can get complicated, but my point is that it doesn't have to be.

it can be as simple as a whole wheat porridge.

simplifying diet to its basic need for the organism tends to be the most effective procedure for longevity in lab controlled tests

flavor is not really a basic need

nutrient is

b-vitamins have the largest amount of scientifically supported evidence as being necessary for health

so, if we go beyond satisfying our need, is that considered a form of gluttony? in some, nay i say most, cases it is and results in obesity.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-22 10:01 AM (#56505 - in reply to #56280)

Wrinkles I can accept, but do you know why everyone keeps saying- oh, you're letting your hair go gray. I don't remember it asking me if it could, so how could I let it?

As long as the U.S. gov't supports the cattle industry, there will be no real change over here, unless someone invents quick and easy nutrition in a box. Wait, there's instant hummus, just add water. Maybe the public needs a good nutrition pill. Which reminds me, a health food store opened not far from me, and I went to see what it was about. I didn't get past looking in the window though, because I looked in and saw shelves lined with bottles and jars!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 10:19 AM (#56510 - in reply to #56280)

flax seed is something i discovered at the health food store in my neighborhood

i love checking out the bins and the fridge at the health food stores to see what is raw

there are so many grains and seeds

anybody tried Quinoa? it's not bad, but i'm not into flavor like i used to be. better to say it is full of nutritive value.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-22 10:20 AM

Posted 2006-06-22 10:24 AM (#56513 - in reply to #56503)

your point is misinterpreting information from various studies.

truth is, good nutrition comes from food variety. you can break it down to the essential macro and micronutrients, but no single food (like porridge) is a 'complete food' nutritionally speaking. it is the combinations of foods in the appropriate amounts that leads to health and longevity.

longevity studies focus on caloric intake. Animals tested in these types of studies are given a pellet that meets their nutritional needs in amounts that test the basic caloric requirements for longevity. The pellet food given is generally made from a variety of sources. my October J's lab-rabbit feed is made up of 12 different types of grasses just for 'starters.' This is to meet the nutrient needs of the rabbit because no one food is the only food he needs. Even he needs the nutrient diversity found from diverse diets. his pellet feed is 'supplemental' the majority of his diet are fresh fruits and vegetables, weeds and herbs, and timothy hay. For rabbit health, diversity is important.

as testimonial evidence and because i like to share, October J 'suffered' from eye problems last year around this time. He had cloudy eyes and was having trouble jumping down off of things. For a 9 yr old rabbit (average age for indoor rabbit is 6-8 yrs), the docs said that this was 'par for the course' and we should start preparing for his death. I decided that this was silly. He could live as long as he wanted, and some house rabbits live to be 18 yrs old (rare, but it does happen). I went home and did some research about eye care in general, did some hands-on healing, and then changed his nutrition. I increased berries (blueberries and goji berries because they're highest in antioxidants), herbs (red clover, dandilion leaves, etc), and fresh salad greens. Within two weeks, his eyes had cleared, he was more mobile and jumped off of things on his own (sofa, etc), and had lost weight because he'd become more active. we took him back for a followup and the doctors asked "what did you do?" oh, well, we added more anti-oxidant rich foods to his diet, and it cleared right up! So, diversity and amounts were important for October J's health.

as to the issue of taste, i would say that it can be argued that taste is not as important as nutrition. nutrition is more important by far. But, food diversity satisfies both taste and nutrition.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-22 10:32 AM (#56518 - in reply to #56280)

good conclusive analysis, ZB

i applaud you

judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 10:32 AM (#56519 - in reply to #56505)

P.S. I did want to say I have a medical background--I have discarded most of my nutritional knowledge for my inner guidence. I do agree we give up stimulated taste buds for optimal health....when I do discover something totally nutritious and delightfully tasting also I am happy...and that is more often than the bland. I never bought in to dying hair and now it is pure white and I love it. I have not cut it in years (maybe 10) so it is great to walk on the beach and let it blow.......even wear a bikini....the rewards of a healthy body. Life is so good if we allow ourselves the freedom to just "BE"
judamom
Posted 2006-06-22 10:44 AM (#56522 - in reply to #56513)

Do keep in mind that "studies" are paid for by the big Corp. Food Companies. I had a good friend quit the Food and Drug Company because they would have a certain outcome they wanted and staff MUST get it anyway they could muster it up. We are dealing with Marketing.....same with Vitamins etc. As I said before, look around, it is not working. We have been brainwashed as consumers and until we at least consider that.......we are sheep being led to slaughter. I dislike even giving that part of life any energy so I say no more except until we start tuning into our bodies prayfully or meditatively and get more serious than anyone around that I come in contact with we are getting exactly what we are asking for. I hope it is worth it. If someone is complaining about their health and eating whatever is tasteful to their palate-----I do not care to listen.....they have created in ignorance or lack of care exactly what they intended.

Posted 2006-06-22 10:44 AM (#56523 - in reply to #56280)

i just made quinoa. funny that you mention it. Ryan and I are leaving for our trip tonite, so i'm making food for the hotel tonite, for tomorrow's long day.

For ryan, i roasted organic, free range, pasture raised chicken in cuban mojito sauce. For myself, i hard-boiled 6 eggs.

I also made cuban quinoa-black beans. I would have used brown rice, but we were out. I love the way that quinoa tastes. I used veggie broth to boil the quinoa. When it was done, i added coconut water while it was still hot. While the quinoa was cooking, i took my sprouted back beans and boiled lightly in salted water. ii carmelized onions and green peppers (i also left some chopped and fresh). I added lime juice, fresh chilis (sliced along the sides to let the heat out; to be removed later), whole garlic cloves, lime leaves and bay leaf to the bean water. when the beans were done, i pulled out the spice bag (garlic, bay leaves, lime leaves, chilis) and drained the beans. I then put the beans in the pan with fresh minced garlic and the carmelized onions/peppers. I let them simmer together with a little bit of the boiling water to get the flavors to blend. I also lightly sauteed some mushrooms in coconut oil. I mixed these three together for a quinoa salad and then sprinkled the fresh peppers and onions over it.

i also chopped up some celery, carrots, fresh broccoli, fresh cauliflower, and made a nice yogurt dip for them.

we're packing apples for the trip as well.

And i have thai chili-lime peanuts from trader joes as well as raw pistachios and a cranberry trail mix for the trip as well.

I also have my 'herbal first aid kit' which has Airborne in it, my tummy tea, dark chocolate and a couple of other goodies for the flight for aroma therapy, sleep aid, and related.

I decided to go with "smart water" which is electrolyte balanced for the trip as well as getting artisian water for mineral content.

All good wholesome food which should keep our immune systems up, keep our digestive tracks working (i need a lot of roughage when i fly or i get backed up!), and keep us comfortably fed while on the plane.

I'm really excited to leave for this trip!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)