YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how important is diet?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-28 11:33 AM (#60098 - in reply to #60097)
Subject: RE: how important is diet?

tourist - 2006-07-28 11:29 AM

jo - SCT's system seems to work for him, and although I love my morning porridge, my chef-in-training daughter is here right now and there is sooooo much yummy (and healthy) food in the fridge, I am taking a holiday from the routine and branching out for a few days. But there is something stabilizing and grounding about having some part of my diet that is usually unchanging - something that I don't have to put any effort into thinking about - so I get where SCT is coming from. And of course, he has wonderful (I assume: wink: ) dinners of more typical food with his delightful family.

You got that right.

If I don't eat what the Mrs. prepares with the loving affection of a wife and mother then I feel the wrath of my wife.

She's quite a cook. But she refuses to consider my Point of View when it comes to food, because she really enjoys food, and has not considered food and her relationship to food like I have, and she get irritated with me if I try to talk about this stuff so I don't talk about it with her anymore, the hassle isn't worth it, and I've planted the seed, if it's gonna grow it will if not so what, I still love her and I respect her right to think and choose for herself, which contrast my choices tremendously.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-07-28 11:34 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2006-07-29 4:06 PM (#60258 - in reply to #56280)

SCT- I guess I got confused when you said that you were trying to release your attachment to flavor- that's where I was getting all that sacrifice stuff from. When I work on attachment issues, I'm working on some of my spiritual stuff...
Hey, I completely respect what you do and I have to say that with 4 little ones I'm surprised you get food into you at all! I eat the same breakfast every morning so I don't have to think about it. My husband and I own a restaurant, so I understand how it happens that you don't have the time and the energy to cook super exciting things. I think it was just your phrasing that made it sound like a spiritual move to eat bland food. And that would be cool too.... I was just asking. Anything anyone does to be healthy is alright by me! I used to cook exciting and wild things for us until our restaurant opened- now it's "honey, here's our roasted chicken and spinach salad" Nothing crazy wild or exciting-- not that it isn't fun to blow it out once and awhile
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-29 5:56 PM (#60271 - in reply to #56280)

I had ice cream today
and
some pizza for a princess party
tourist
Posted 2006-07-29 6:24 PM (#60279 - in reply to #60258)

Expert Yogi

jo - Nigella Lawson says that for most of us breakfast is ritualistic. I like that better than boring and in a rut
joscmt
Posted 2006-07-29 11:20 PM (#60307 - in reply to #56280)

yea.... ritualistic..... I can dig it..... especially when I'm all bleary eyed in the morning... I feel like a robot... me no coffee. me eat breakfast. Mmmm, breakfast.

Ok, maybe that was more caveman than robot...
here's my robot...
bleep, bloop, bleep, breakfast, bloop bleep..

Yeah, I'm crazy and it's late.. I've been working wayyyyy too long tody!
I'm just gonna leave now...
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-30 12:27 PM (#60381 - in reply to #60307)

Expert Yogi

Don't forget about the five flavors.......bitter, salty, sweet, sour, and pungent. In addition, there is another classification called "tasteless" flavor, which is similar to sweet flavor. There is a famous quote from a Chinese Herbalist, "Tasteless flavor is associated with sweet flavor'. Tasteless flavor help dampness seep and promote urination. YES, I obtained this information from one of my TCM books if anyone is critic-ing me,

BTW, Yodha had "Doggie" Ice cream the other day when we were in HOT Georgia. He loved it. I had bought some frozen icicle pops - banana and the rocket launchers (red, white and blue), which are my favorites. Yodha liked the banana ones....until my Father came home and said, "we have doggie ice cream"...I was like, "yea, right".

Edited by Cyndi 2006-07-30 12:31 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-07-30 1:07 PM (#60388 - in reply to #60381)

Expert Yogi

umami?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-31 9:41 AM (#60485 - in reply to #60381)

Cyndi - 2006-07-30 12:27 PM

Don't forget about the five flavors.......bitter, salty, sweet, sour, and pungent. In addition, there is another classification called "tasteless" flavor, which is similar to sweet flavor. There is a famous quote from a Chinese Herbalist, "Tasteless flavor is associated with sweet flavor'. Tasteless flavor help dampness seep and promote urination. YES, I obtained this information from one of my TCM books if anyone is critic-ing me,

BTW, Yodha had "Doggie" Ice cream the other day when we were in HOT Georgia. He loved it. I had bought some frozen icicle pops - banana and the rocket launchers (red, white and blue), which are my favorites. Yodha liked the banana ones....until my Father came home and said, "we have doggie ice cream"...I was like, "yea, right".

"we have doggie ice cream"...I was like, "yea, right".

Man, that dog is livin' the life.

redrox
Posted 2006-08-16 7:41 PM (#61861 - in reply to #56280)

Re-engaging thread drift...

In a way, changing my diet and going through both a transformational process and an educational process about nutrition and food led me to my yoga practice. The old saying "we are what we eat" is, I believe, essentially true and most Americans eat a lot of crap that doesn't support and sustain their minds and/or bodies. So for me, proper food and nutrition is the building block which provides the necessary fuel to support everything else I do including my asana practice. To separate what we eat from how we function on a day-to-day basis is unimaginable in my current world view. So yeah, pretty dang important to me!

And back to OP, there is clearly not enough education on diet and nutrition in our society. But I now go off on my kids at dinner all the time on nutritional theory and facts and occasionally give 'em a "pop quiz" question here and there just to see if any of it sticks! ;)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)