YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KUDOS to Whole Foods Market
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-17 9:18 AM (#56053 - in reply to #56051)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Market

Expert Yogi

Hey BB,

Have you tried their organic Beer yet???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-06-17 10:08 AM (#56056 - in reply to #56053)

Expert Yogi

SCT - I sympathise. The more you know about this stuff, the more you know the world is getting pretty messed up. Let's hope some of your work and that of others will help get it a little cleaner. I don't know if I can live without the possibility of eating seafood again, but I sure can begin to be more selective about it. Here on the west coast there are seafood restaurants started programs to only buy from companies who fish responsibly etc. They are even marketing kelp "caviar" which sounds better to me than the real stuff ever did
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-17 10:43 AM (#56062 - in reply to #55958)

Here where I live nursing mothers had their milk tested for PCB's, and yes there was plenty in there. Industry polluted the river that lots of people still eat out of. I'm sure that's everywhere though.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-17 10:45 AM (#56063 - in reply to #56056)

Expert Yogi

This was the reason I posted this to begin with...to talk about the positive things being done, rather than to focus on the negative.

It was quite irritating to have the *other* crap brought up, when we are slammed with that crap every day. Steven, you are not the only one who can see these things, you don't have to have a rocket scientist degree to know the severity of pollution these days!! We aren't stupid.

Company's such as WF's, Earthfare, Wild Oats and others, are doing a remarkable job of bringing this awareness to the public. It's more than the average grocery store chain would do. (Sorry Wal-mart, no matter what you *try* to do organically, I'm afraid the damage you've done to the communities of America is far greater than adding Organic Vegetables to your produce section!! ) I support these sincere company's 150%. We can talk about negative stuff all day long, be depressed and have a negative outlook of gloom and doom, but hey, we need to start focusing and stay focused on the greater good and implement the change that we would like to see happen. So there you go.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-18 8:19 PM (#56103 - in reply to #56050)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Marke

Cyndi - 2006-06-17 9:02 AM

Hey STC,

I didn't post this thread to argue with you about whether lobster and crabs were dirty to eat. Why don't you stay on topic or start your own GD thread!

Willakers!

hope you had a good weekend

i was practicing pneumatic floor nailer yoga all Saturday, putting in an oak floor in my youngest daughter's joint room...removed the carpet, and stuff, lots of labor....

and i hope you enjoyed your shrimp scampi

i had some good figs

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-18 8:24 PM
Nick
Posted 2006-06-19 1:46 AM (#56128 - in reply to #55978)

Hi all,
I cannot see why some of you are being rude to Steven-he seems to know what he is talking about, and tells us without arrogance-then some of you are arguing about something that you know nothing about-now that is arrogance. We need to recognize when experts have our best interests at heart, and thank them for telling us, and I'll bet anything this is one of those times-thanks for the info Steven, luckily I've never been into these types of seafood.

Take care
Nick

Edited by Nick 2006-06-19 1:47 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-19 8:59 AM (#56145 - in reply to #55958)

If you become rude to my big brother SCT, I shall ask him to hug you very tightly. Then, you can not escape.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-19 9:13 AM (#56146 - in reply to #55958)

maybe it is time for a group hug

(((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))

i love you all, and all of your opinions

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-19 9:48 AM (#56151 - in reply to #55958)

I'll be the first to admit I know only a tiny fraction. It wasn't my intention to be rude, but to comment on the tiny fraction that I know about. I wish there were a Whole Foods Market in my area, maybe I wouldn't have to read so many labels. As for lobster, I haven't tasted one in years, but I can remember the flavor of it dipped in melted butter, ah it was lovely. I can make food choices for myself pretty well, sticking to beans, grains, and of course the fruits and vegetables. Helping my kids make good choices though, that's another story. They have so much crappy food targeting young people, and their peers make it even harder. They can be pretty vocal about anyone eating anything "different" or even worse "stinky". Is it human nature that they look at each other's food choices and say ewwwww? I try to let them know that their being rude, but I'm pretty amazed that they've been allowed to react this way all their lives, and haven't been told. I appreciate all the information here, Now, does someone need a hug? I have long arms.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-19 10:25 AM (#56160 - in reply to #56037)

aystam - 2006-06-17 1:03 AM

SCThornley - 2006-06-16 1:44 PM

filter feeders are even yuckier!

if you're going to eat something that eats filter feeders you really are packing on the toxins

filter feeders are pretty darn low on the food chain, where less toxins should have accumulated.

low on food chain doesn't always mean low in contamination

considering many filter feeders and bottom feeders aren't especially mobile, it really depends on where they are. If they are in a deposit region or channel for contamination, they will be especially high in contamination concentration, whether that be hepatitis C or some other bioaccumulating chemical.

Oysters seem to blossom in sewage channels, eating these contaminated organisms can lead to hepatitis if they are not properly cooked, and oyster on the halfshell is never properly cooked.

The same can be said of any organism that feeds off of these filter feeders.

but conclusively speaking, filter feeders are there to filter the water and clean it, their very purpose (in my opinion) is to clean up the filth that deposits in there locale.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-19 10:26 AM
tourist
Posted 2006-06-19 10:41 AM (#56164 - in reply to #56151)

Expert Yogi

BQ - good luck with the kids and food! Both of mine are excellent cooks, one in training to become a chef, because I refused to cater to every whim and desire as they grew up. Not keeping junky food in the house helps a lot too, Then they can only choose from the what is available. My favourite story is about a friend whose philosophy was extremely health oriented and her kids never had even typical cereals like cheerios. When they decided to be picky eaters and not want what she made for breakfast (hot oatmeal) they "rebelled" by eating their oatmeal uncooked I have had parents tell me they "had to buy pop-tarts" because their kids woudn't eat what they made for breakfast - obviously there are other choices

Be careful offering hugs with SCT around - he is 6' 9"! Industrial strength hugs
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-19 10:44 AM (#56165 - in reply to #55958)

Where I am, people fish out of the river, and eat mostly catfish, and perch, there are other types also. The perch is preferred because of it's mild flavors, but some of the fattier varieties are preffered by people who smoke the fish. Does the fat store more toxins, because some people think if they can trim some fat off, the rest will be okay to eat. Either way, a lot of people eat the fish, and also swim in the river.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-19 11:14 AM (#56167 - in reply to #56165)

bstqltmkr - 2006-06-19 10:44 AM

Where I am, people fish out of the river, and eat mostly catfish, and perch, there are other types also. The perch is preferred because of it's mild flavors, but some of the fattier varieties are preffered by people who smoke the fish. Does the fat store more toxins, because some people think if they can trim some fat off, the rest will be okay to eat. Either way, a lot of people eat the fish, and also swim in the river.

Fat soluble chemicals like DDT, DDE, DDD and PCBs will accumulate at higher concentrations in the the fat.

I used to love eating perch, and bluefish, rockfish, flounder, croaker, drum, heck i even caught a skate once.....memories

without knowing for sure where you live or what river you're talking about I really don't know, but consider this.....

water flows downhill, and as it flows it washes away the dirty surface stuff and dead things, into the sewer, or drainage and into the river and then into the sea. All of the things that live in the river live in the contamination that is rinsed away and, in the case of sewage and farming, sometimes dumped in the river.

How often have you read about the infrastructure needing to be rebuilt or at the very least maintained?

One of the biggest infrastructures that everyone uses on a daily basis is connected to your toilet. When this is overloaded, it is normally dumped into the nearest river. Raw sewage leaks happen very often, and even more so where new real estate development is taking place, because lots of people are building homes, very few are building sewage treatment plants.

The return on investment (ROI) is very low for a sewage treatment plant, compared to real estate development.

Surficial water is normally the most contaminated water, chemically and biologically, that is why many drinking water wells are deeper than 100 to 300 feet, however many of those are turning out to be contaminated as well.

chlorinated solvent and MTBE contamination will often lead to a sweet flavor in the water--can anybody say, "Goodbye Kidneys"?

C'est la vie

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-19 11:16 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-06-19 12:38 PM (#56177 - in reply to #55958)

Yuck.

Does that mean we shouldn't eat fish?

All I can say is @#$%@*&^%!

I love fish.

Mad cow, bird flu, fish toxins....maybe we ARE supposed to be vegetarian?

SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-19 12:46 PM (#56179 - in reply to #56177)

*Fifi* - 2006-06-19 12:38 PM

Yuck.

Does that mean we shouldn't eat fish?

All I can say is @#$%@*&^%!

I love fish.

Mad cow, bird flu, fish toxins....maybe we ARE supposed to be vegetarian?

Well, i don't know, but one thing is for sure,

we were not meant to eat chemicals, sewage, and waste products.....
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-19 6:50 PM (#56218 - in reply to #55958)

How did food become such a depressing topic? I quit eating meat because I thougt steriods were making me angry, and had to research recipes. As a result there are less and less foods I want to eat. On the plus side, I know many more variations on how to cook them. At least the kids like beans and brown rice, and I try not to freak out if they eat a little sugar. As we all heard, there are way worse things out there. They're not much into preparing it for themselves yet, but they show potential. Yay.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-19 7:31 PM (#56225 - in reply to #56218)

Expert Yogi

BQ - I used to go to class with a woman who moaned about how hard it was to get to class on time because she had to cook dinner for her family. When I found out she had a 25 year old, a 22 year old (both male ) and a husband at home, I had to restrain myself for either laughing at her or lecturing her. Gotta start 'em young
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-06-19 11:06 PM (#56233 - in reply to #55958)

Back to the original intent of the post...

I too was very happy to see the management of Whole Foods decide that they couldn't be certain that animals were not coming to undue harm through their own practices, and hence they would stop those practices until such time as they could be certain that the animals would not come to undue harm. This isn't even an issue of cleanliness, this is a question of apparently cruelty. Even the WF people noted that they don't know if what the lobsters were exposed to was cruel, but they thought it might be, and they weren't comfortable with that. It went against their morals. So they made a moral decision, rather than trying to just bring in more money.

Kudos to them for making the moral decision, even in the face of uncertainty!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 8:18 AM (#56255 - in reply to #56218)

bstqltmkr - 2006-06-19 6:50 PM

How did food become such a depressing topic?

When the general population started to have access to Education.

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-20 8:26 AM (#56257 - in reply to #55958)

So I guess ignorance is bliss, for the mind at least, until you body starts to feel the effects of the poison you've been eating.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 9:05 AM (#56265 - in reply to #56257)

bstqltmkr - 2006-06-20 8:26 AM

So I guess ignorance is bliss, for the mind at least, until you body starts to feel the effects of the poison you've been eating.

i unfortunately must concur with you

once we gain the knowledge to improve our lot in life, we also gain the knowledge as to what needs to be improved

and

there is never, ever, ever a lack of need when it comes to improvements
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-20 9:18 AM (#56267 - in reply to #55958)

Sort of like working on a house, and finishing one part. Once you sit down and relax to admire your hard work, you notice now this looks shabby, or this other part needs improvement, and the next thing you know your chore list is all long again. Life is good, but it sure as hell ain't easy.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2006-06-20 9:19 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 9:36 AM (#56268 - in reply to #55958)

you've said a mouthful

especially since my hands are still healing from the unfinished oak flooring i put in my youngest daughters' bedroom this past Saturday...

nothing like porcelain tile or hardwood floors to make all the carpet in the rest of your home look completely horrid.

But whether it's work on the house you live in or work on the body/psyche you live in...the work is never done.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-20 10:05 AM (#56272 - in reply to #56128)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2006-06-19 1:46 AM

I cannot see why some of you are being rude to Steven

Excuse me?? This thread has been severely hi-jacked and way OFF TOPIC...who's rude?? Oh well, STC, you can have this thread...too bad we can't change the name of the topic and dedicate it to YOU SHOULD NOT EAT FISH, MEAT OR DRINK ANY WATER.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-06-20 10:07 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 10:09 AM (#56273 - in reply to #56272)

Cyndi - 2006-06-20 10:05 AM

Nick - 2006-06-19 1:46 AM

I cannot see why some of you are being rude to Steven

Excuse me?? This thread has been severely hi-jacked and way OFF TOPIC...who's rude?? Oh well, STC, you can have this thread...too bad we can't change the name of the topic and dedicate it to YOU SHOULD NOT EAT FISH, MEAT OR DRINK ANY WATER.

i still wuv u, Cyndi
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)