YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KUDOS to Whole Foods Market
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 9:48 AM (#55958)
Subject: KUDOS to Whole Foods Market

Expert Yogi

It's people like John Mackey and this organization that will make a difference!!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/16/news/companies/whole_foods/index.htm?cnn=yes

Whole Foods halts sales of live lobsters
Supermarket chain reaches decision after learning that animals were placed in storage facilities for months at a time; will also stop selling soft-shelled crab.
June 16, 2006: 7:21 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Organic supermarket chain Whole Foods announced Friday it will stop selling live lobsters effectively immediately, citing the inhumane treatment of the animals.

"We are not yet sufficiently satisfied that the process of selling live lobsters is in line with our commitment to humane treatment and quality of life for animals," Margaret Wittenberg, vice president of quality standards for Whole Foods Market, said in a prepared statement.

The company reached the decision to stop the sale of the crustacean after conducting a seven-month review into its lobster procurement process, learning that in many instances the animals were held in storage facilities for several months at a time.

Whole Foods (Charts) also announced that it would also halt the sale of live soft-shelled crab.

The company, however, will continue to sell both raw and cooked frozen lobster products from companies that meet handling and processing standards developed by Whole Foods.

Whole Foods CEO John Mackey said the company would consider resuming the sale of lobsters if improvements are made in the treatment of the animals.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 10:08 AM (#55960 - in reply to #55958)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Market

i grew up crabbing the Chesapeake Bay every summer,

checking my pots twice a day and fishing in between

that's what i ate all summer and Crab Cakes into the winter.

i don't eat that stuff anymore, but if folks want to eat it, i'd advise them to go catch it themselves, because that is the only way to verify that it is fresh, and it turns bad quickly

i don't know about lobster, but considering that it is a crustacean like crabs they probably eat the same stuff, which is everything that dies and falls to the bottom of the ocean, they are bottom feeders.

Even though the meat is white, it is not clean, it is not kosher.

These animals are the garbage processors of the sea floor.

A fabulous book on crabs is "Beautiful Swimmers".

but eating these vile bottom feeders is simply unclean.....even though that used to be a huge proportion of my diet.....i speak from experience.....and now that i have the choice, i'll never ever eat those filthy bottom feeders again!

Crabs are disgusting in their living and life process, i know all about it, more than i'd ever want to, they stink, they're nasty.

Lobsters are simply a larger form of the same thing, a bottom feeder.

No matter how much butter you use it's still nasty.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 10:23 AM (#55962 - in reply to #55960)

Expert Yogi

To each his own.

Lobster and crab are not dirty fish, it is the polluted waters from human beings that screws with the ocean environment.

Grouper is one of my favorites...it is a bottom feeder too, so is Catfish!! Saying they are vile and such is BS. This is your perception because of your screwed up thinking about what is clean and what is not.

Just remember this, "Fish can't live in too clean of water". Bottom feeding fish are designed to handle such things on the bottom of the ocean, they are like filters...that does not make them unclean. Eating these types of fish have great medicinal value....contrary to what you believe. Besides, there are still some really good fishing holes left in the world for good eating!!

Edited by Cyndi 2006-06-16 10:27 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 10:39 AM (#55964 - in reply to #55962)

i concur to each his/her own.

but bottom feeders eat nasty things, the sort of things that sink to the bottom of any system, and primarily those things are dead.

Eating bottom feeders to the point of impacting the population will lead to a more unclean environment, this can be seen in the Chesapeake.

I've had grouper, and it was good served in Charleston, SC.
But i no longer can, with clean concious, eat fish or any food from the aquatic environment.

Pollution is a problem, a Global Problem, there is no clean spot left.

The environmental fate of DDT is the perfected study on this subject, so please do not take my word for it, learn about it on your own, there is a lot of new information available, and a lot has happened since it's use in the United States was outlawed in the 1970s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts35.html

but even these sources don't have the total story straight, and there are a lot of other chemicals out there, so be vigilant

Even though we don't use it anymore, it's not gone, and since that time new chemicals have come into vogue usage.

I've done enough analysis in the laboratory, read enough reports, generated enough data over the past 14 years as an environmental chemist to come the realization that the lower on the food chain something is, the higher the concentration of contamination {whether it be heavy metals, organic chemicals}.

and Humans that consume these 'lower food chain beings' thing tend to bioaccumulate these toxins at the highest rate of all and the damage to their nervous systems, organs, and general quality of life can be quite obvious in the final years if not before.

but, on the other hand

http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm

i am biased, and this link is an alternative take on the data
Personally, if i can limit my exposure to chemicals that kill things, i'm all for it, but at the same time i don't really enjoy insects.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-16 10:54 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 11:08 AM (#55965 - in reply to #55964)

Expert Yogi

STC,

You've just inspired me to go eat some nasty fish this weekend. I think I'll serve up my famous Grouper Parmesian for our Father's Day celebration. Then we shall have Shrimp Scampi for an appetizer,
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 11:10 AM (#55966 - in reply to #55958)

Enjoy!

Here's hoping your father's day celebration is a fabulous occasion!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 11:18 AM (#55967 - in reply to #55958)

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/16/D8I9BVQO0.html

this is the sort of thing i used to clean up right here in the USA, when i was a field chemist

Posted 2006-06-16 11:54 AM (#55969 - in reply to #55958)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Marke

Lobsters aren't generally scavengers, that's a common misconception. They are bottom feeders sure, after all they do mostly crawl. But bottom feeder isn't the same as scavenger. They eat stuff like mussels, clams, urchins, snails, starfish, flounder and whatever fish they can get. (Yeah, other lobsters too.)
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 1:44 PM (#55973 - in reply to #55969)

aystam - 2006-06-16 11:54 AM

Lobsters aren't generally scavengers, that's a common misconception. They are bottom feeders sure, after all they do mostly crawl. But bottom feeder isn't the same as scavenger. They eat stuff like mussels, clams, urchins, snails, starfish, flounder and whatever fish they can get. (Yeah, other lobsters too.)

filter feeders are even yuckier!

if you're going to eat something that eats filter feeders you really are packing on the toxins
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 2:02 PM (#55977 - in reply to #55973)

Expert Yogi

I love Lobster with melted dripping butter!!!

Seems like there are lots of misconceptions going around - especially amoung scientists. hahaha
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 2:07 PM (#55978 - in reply to #55977)

Cyndi - 2006-06-16 2:02 PM

I love Lobster with melted dripping butter!!!

Seems like there are lots of misconceptions going around - especially amoung scientists. hahaha

i have no misconceptions about what people enjoy tasting

i also have no misconceptions about what is soluble in the flesh and fat of living organisms.

ENJOY your food, while you can

i also, fully, recognize my bias when it comes to these subjects. In the laboratory, i've analyzed thousands upon thousands of fish, shellfish, and crustacean samples, and i know what is in these organisms

and now that i know, i can't un-know what i've learned, and i don't want to put that stuff in my body

you may, and obviously do, feel free to eat as much of it as you want

and enjoy you're Father's Day weekend....i talked to my Father today!

he sent me this,
{his father, my grandfather, died after his kidneys failed---he loved seafood }

When I was:

Four years old: My daddy can do anything.

Five years old: My daddy knows a whole lot.

Six years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.

Eight years old: My dad doesn't know exactly everything.

Ten years old: In the olden days, when my dad grew up,
things were sure different.

Twelve years old: Oh, well, naturally, Dad doesn't know
anything about that. He is too old to remember his
childhood.

Fourteen years old: Don't pay any attention to my dad. He is
so old-fashioned.

Twenty-one years old: Him? My Lord, he's hopelessly out of
date.

Twenty-five years old: Dad knows about it, but then he
should, because he has been around so long.

Thirty years old: Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks.
After all, he's had a lot of experience.

Thirty-five years old: I'm not doing a single thing until I
talk to Dad.

Forty years old: I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He
was so wise.

Fifty years old: I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I
could talk this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate
how smart he was. I could have learned a lot from him.

Writer Unknown

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-16 2:14 PM
Samara267
Posted 2006-06-16 4:09 PM (#55980 - in reply to #55964)

SCThornley - 2006-06-16 10:39 AM

Couldn't you then say that nothing is safe? And that no matter what you eat you are ingesting polluted produce/meats/fish/etc?

I understand not wanting to eat foods that are loaded with chemicals, but to assume this holier than thou attitude...sheesh.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-06-16 4:23 PM (#55982 - in reply to #55958)

I am happy to see the title of this thread. Just last night while I was in the newest WF in Las Vegas, getting my veggies grilled, I was thinking I was in the best WF store in the whole world. In the whole galaxy! They actually have a vegetable grilling station in this new Whole Foods.

Apparently they have pretty decent employee health benefits, too.

Yes, Kudos to John Mackey!

And good for the lobsters, too. (The best lobster I ever had was in Mexico - along with the best frijoles and tortillas. Now I'm hungry)
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 4:42 PM (#55986 - in reply to #55980)

Samara267 - 2006-06-16 4:09 PM

SCThornley - 2006-06-16 10:39 AM

Couldn't you then say that nothing is safe? And that no matter what you eat you are ingesting polluted produce/meats/fish/etc?

I understand not wanting to eat foods that are loaded with chemicals, but to assume this holier than thou attitude...sheesh.

Holy than thou? What do you mean?

if you want to eat these things go ahead, but from all of the data and samples that i've collected and analyzed as part of my job as an environmental chemist for the past 14 years, i don't think it's a very healthy choice.

you are completely free to choose what ever you wish to,

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

i do not feel holier than anyone, i am not

i have information that many people do not take the time to bother with, nothing more.

Reading is fundamental and Knowledge is Power

& btw
my wife likes to eat seafood, she does, as often as she wishes, and i pay for it.
i just don't eat it.
i've told her why i don't eat it, she doesn't care, she likes how it tastes and that's that for her.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-06-16 4:45 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-16 4:53 PM (#55989 - in reply to #55958)

Bah! Lobster's have a brain smaller than your pinky. You've probably got more brains in your computer than the average lobster. If anything eating lobster is MORE humane than eating something a little higher up the chain. (Like dolphin, even though dolphin tastes a lot better).

As far as the poison fish goes, I think there's probably a lot of variance in this. Are the fish raised in farms (like Catfish) better or worse than fish from other parts of the world? Are all fish equally polluted, or just certain species? Do some species retain more of the bad sorts of heavy metals and such?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 4:58 PM (#55991 - in reply to #55989)

Expert Yogi

I won't touch Farm Raised ANYTHING or Asian Seafood!!

I will only eat WILD caught from the West (as in the Atlantic on the Eastern Coast), North (as in Alaska to Maine) South (of Florida) and Southwestern (as far south as Costa Rica) on this side of the hemisphere! That is subject to change, but for now we are generally safe in these waters...contrary to other opinions.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-16 5:29 PM (#55995 - in reply to #55958)

I was thinking the worst thing to eat was geletin, no offence GJ. That's hard to avoid because the food companies are putting it in everything. I read a lot of labels and it gets exhausting.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-16 7:14 PM (#56007 - in reply to #55995)

Expert Yogi

There is NOTHING that is safe to eat. Everyone I know who has died in the past 25 years was a lifelong eater. Don't eat. You'll be fine. Maybe not drink the water, either......
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-16 7:53 PM (#56009 - in reply to #56007)

Expert Yogi

Oh yea, and germs are everywhere, so don't touch anything, don't BREATH....which means you may have to quit YOGA!!!! or you can always wear a face mask, and carry Dial anti-bacterial soap with you at all times, better yet, carry around a can of Lysol spray.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 9:07 PM (#56014 - in reply to #55991)

Cyndi - 2006-06-16 4:58 PM

I won't touch Farm Raised ANYTHING or Asian Seafood!!

I will only eat WILD caught from the West (as in the Atlantic on the Eastern Coast), North (as in Alaska to Maine) South (of Florida) and Southwestern (as far south as Costa Rica) on this side of the hemisphere! That is subject to change, but for now we are generally safe in these waters...contrary to other opinions.

good, because the fish food that they use is not good

i read the lab report on it

bad bad stuff
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 9:08 PM (#56015 - in reply to #56007)

tourist - 2006-06-16 7:14 PM

There is NOTHING that is safe to eat. Everyone I know who has died in the past 25 years was a lifelong eater. Don't eat. You'll be fine. Maybe not drink the water, either......

k

sorry if i got on a soap box

but environmental contamination is my career
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 9:12 PM (#56016 - in reply to #56009)

Cyndi - 2006-06-16 7:53 PM

Oh yea, and germs are everywhere, so don't touch anything, don't BREATH....which means you may have to quit YOGA!!!! or you can always wear a face mask, and carry Dial anti-bacterial soap with you at all times, better yet, carry around a can of Lysol spray.

i'm not a germaphobe

i just have had more than my fair share of seafood when i was young

when i got my entry and exit physical examinations for "Hazardous Site Worker" and they ran a whole set of special blood tests on me to see what contaminants were in my blood to make a base line and then to see where i was on exit it sort of opened my eyes to what is in food...

of course all the lab samples(1,000's) sorta sealed the deal in my mind

but i appologize, i know that i'm being especially subjective on this matter

sorry

Posted 2006-06-17 1:03 AM (#56037 - in reply to #55973)

SCThornley - 2006-06-16 1:44 PM

filter feeders are even yuckier!

if you're going to eat something that eats filter feeders you really are packing on the toxins

filter feeders are pretty darn low on the food chain, where less toxins should have accumulated.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-17 9:02 AM (#56050 - in reply to #56037)

Expert Yogi

Hey STC,

I didn't post this thread to argue with you about whether lobster and crabs were dirty to eat. Why don't you stay on topic or start your own GD thread!

Posted 2006-06-17 9:05 AM (#56051 - in reply to #55958)

And, here at least, they have a fine, diverse selection of beer that you can assemble as you please.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)