YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

KUDOS to Whole Foods Market
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-20 12:18 PM (#56308 - in reply to #56273)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Marke

Expert Yogi

SCThornley - 2006-06-20 10:09 AM

i still wuv u, Cyndi

Oh Joy,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 1:02 PM (#56309 - in reply to #56308)

Cyndi - 2006-06-20 12:18 PM

SCThornley - 2006-06-20 10:09 AM

i still wuv u, Cyndi

Oh Joy,

happy happy, joy joy
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-06-20 2:17 PM (#56318 - in reply to #55958)
Subject: RE: KUDOS to Whole Foods Market

I was just going to take a quick peek and see how things were going, but now that I'm sitting here cracking up, I have to add. I'll take the blame for the off thread thing, this isn't the first place I would be found guilty for that. There is havoc over in the Iyengar forum, with quilts being displayed, which I love by the way. Maybe I'll start a thread and call it chaos. Since we're way off the subject anyway, I have to mention about the rug thing, we live in an older house, and the first thing we did was pull out the rugs. That was totally gross, and I would recommend a dust mask for sure. Someone else can add on the wonders of dust mites, or anything else that might have been in there, I'm sure. Sorry Cyndi.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-20 3:26 PM (#56322 - in reply to #56318)

Expert Yogi

Okay, lets go start a thread about "Housecleaning"....although, I do believe Zoebird did a Spring Cleaning thread recently....she might give you some ideas. Better hurry, she's leaving for Scandinevia (sp?) in a couple of days....and I doubt she will be posting Housecleaning tips on her trip blog,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-06-20 3:31 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-20 7:42 PM (#56342 - in reply to #56233)

GreenJello - 2006-06-20 7:40 PM

nuclear_eggset - 2006-06-19 11:06 PM
So they made a moral decision, rather than trying to just bring in more money.

Kudos to them for making the moral decision, even in the face of uncertainty!

If they made a "moral" decision, then why is it front page news? I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't a publicity stunt. If all they wanted to do was to stop selling lobster and crab, they could have easily have done that quietly.

As for the thread going off topic, who cares, it's interesting, and completely normal for human interaction.

They didn't stop selling lobster or crab,

they just stopped selling live lobster

they still sell frozen lobster
GreenJello
Posted 2006-06-20 11:16 PM (#56361 - in reply to #56342)

SCThornley - 2006-06-20 7:42 PM

Okay, sounds even MORE like a publicity stunt. With live lobster you can be guaranteed that the lobster will die a certain way, ie boiling. What control do they have over the frozen lobster? For that matter what about all the other animals in their stores? I gotta assume this is partially because people can SEE the live lobsters, while they don't SEE the live cows.
redrox
Posted 2006-08-16 8:06 PM (#61867 - in reply to #56361)

GreenJello - 2006-06-20 9:16 PM

SCThornley - 2006-06-20 7:42 PM

Okay, sounds even MORE like a publicity stunt. With live lobster you can be guaranteed that the lobster will die a certain way, ie boiling. What control do they have over the frozen lobster? For that matter what about all the other animals in their stores? I gotta assume this is partially because people can SEE the live lobsters, while they don't SEE the live cows.

Well if you have ever read a recipe for grilled lobster, they often start by saying to cut the live lobster in half and don't worry, they don't feel a thing! ;) So I don't know that you can guarantee the lobster will die a certain way. And people leave their kids in hot cars and they die too in the summer. Could just as easily be a bag o' lobsters they just bought while they run in and get a coffee drink and run into the neighbor and sit down for a few hours. Probably wouldn't even get reprimanded for animal cruelty.

The rationale I remember from the story for canned and frozen lobster was that they would only use suppliers who they felt followed ethical production/capture/killing procedures that met their standards. If the suppliers couldn't certify to those standards, then they wouldn't carry their products. With the live lobsters, they found no good way to certify where they had come from and how they had been treated, so they decided to do away with their tanks altogehter. Not saying I buy that 100%, but that was the party line. (And I must admit I didn't read the whole thread to see if this had been said before. me bad.)

I do agree it is also a visual thing or perhaps even a near visual thing. We had a recent uproar in my area about a new Hispanic oriented grocery store that was going to be slaughtering chickens in a controlled, back area of the store, in order to bring the freshest poultry to their consumers. Apparently this is something of a cultural tradition. They had worked through all the proper channels and approvals and were ready to open the store to much fanfare, but once people (primarily anglos IMO) got wind that they would actually KILL chickens in the same place that they were sold, the proverbial smelly subtance hit the electrical wind conveyance. I found it an interesting idea and business model. Others were "shocked" and "horrified". Where did they think those things in the meat counter were coming from? Why does it make any difference if they are slaughtered in some mega facility in Arkansas or in a certified facility in another area of the store? It wasn't like they were putting picture windows in or anything! But I think it just hits too close to home to have to actually think about the process that occurs for most people to be comfortable with it. Same idea with the tanks too I suppose.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-17 6:13 PM (#61953 - in reply to #55958)

WHOA!! I just read through this entire board and HOLY COW! There's a little hostility and non-yoga-ness all around. Thank God I'm allergic to the little buggers we are talking about. I read once that a lobster's closest genetic relative is a cockroach- and I'm not planning on eating those anytime soon either! My husband and I keep a reef tank- we have filter feeders (corals), and some crustaceans.. they don't necessarily eat the "poop" of the tank. In fact, my emerald crabs LOVE LOVE LOVE nori. The typically eat the amphipods and copepods (little bug-like) things out of the sand and rock. It's the hermit crabs, starfish, snail, etc that eat the detritus.
I've worked in several places that served lobster and I can say that I have never been forced to kill one. We used to separate the tail and claws while it was still alive and seeing it moving all ripped up was too much for me. Now, Jasper White (the guy who was the original Legal Seafoods- so maybe a little biased) said that lobsters lack central nervous systems and that is why they don't feel that they are being ripped apart. Much in the same way frogs cannot detect temperature changes- that's why you start them in cold water and bring up the temp (I can't do this either)
I'm gonna vote and say that SCT knows what he's talking about. I'm guessing that if this is his career, he's got something invested in this knowledge- and it's not random stuff off the internet (like I read!! HAHAHA- just kidding).
As for WF, it's probably a gimmick- I worked for a place kinda like WF in Texas called Central Market- and while there is a level of consciousness there- they are still out for a profit. And they are going to do what it takes to get consumers into their store. Especially now that there are other competitors popping up. We used to create holidays, marketing schemes, anything to get a buck... like any consumer industry. Don't get my wrong. I LOVE WF and Central Market (even though I don't live in Texas either) and I want them to succeed and make a buck in the process. I have nothing against that (esp. as a business owner). These stores filled a niche that was desperate to be filled. There is a new store popping up in the DC area called MOM (My Organic Market) who, for me, is giving WF a run for their money. It's a smaller store- but with better overall product. Man, I could talk about grocery stores for days! I'll stop here....
Now, as someone who has dedicated my life to the culinary industry, I have cooked my fair share of foie gras- BUT, I will say kudos to Chicago for banning it. As tasty as it is, it's really difficult to enjoy it once you know how it's made. So, really, I think that should be a thing of the past and put to rest. If I'm not mistaken.... you can still get this at WF- at least in pate form for sure...
hmmmmmm......poor little lobsters with no nervous system..... or ramming tubes down ducks' throats and force feeding them up to 10x what they should eat 2x/day...Hmmmmmmm....... I'm thinking they should lose the foie...
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-19 5:35 PM (#62083 - in reply to #55958)

Ok, I'm going to clarify something here.. crustaceans don't only eat the dead stuff and doo-doo off the ocean floor- they basically eat anything- the little bugs I mentioned, micro algae(mainly), and, when food is sparse, the kill and eat each other. So, they can be nasty depending on their environment. My emerald crabs and shrimp eat algae and pods.... but my hermit crabs in my other tank feast like kings on the left over food from Slim Jim, my eel. He's a pretty sloppy eater so the hermits come running like the zombies in Michael Jackson's Thriller video...
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-08-19 6:08 PM (#62087 - in reply to #55958)

cockroaches....yum....

There are traditional Chinese herbal medicinal teas that use a particular kind of cockroach (dried). This particular bug is in the ingivorate blood category. The story goes that prisoners in a filthy, cold and dready Chinese prison, being tortured on a daily basis, discovered eating the cockroaches in their cells helped to ease their pain (by invigorating their blood {and qi}).

The Chinese discovered uses for scoriopns, centipedes and earthworms. If it moves, they consume it.

I still like Whole Foods!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-19 8:48 PM (#62091 - in reply to #62087)

Expert Yogi

Yea, and don't forget the other Chinese saying Fifi, "Fish can't live in too clean of water".

I still like Whole Foods....although, I found a new market, that is an oldie, older than WF's in the town I shop at. I like WF's Heirloom Tomatoes...just wish they weren't so dam expensive.

Like today, using my neice's Father's home grown tomatoes, I made 10 pints of Salsa, 4 Quarts of Italian Sauce and a "real" pound cake. Tonight's dinner is Salsa w/ Blue and White Organic Corn Chips, Italian Pork Sausage with my Italian Sauce simmered slowly in a red wine and a piece of my cake. My treat for a hard day's work! Talk about your whole foods,

Edited by Cyndi 2006-08-19 8:49 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-19 9:59 PM (#62094 - in reply to #55958)

I like sherbert.

Hershey Chocolate factory is just up the road here in PA, and there are so many dairies here in York that it seems like everyone has an ice cream stand or every corner has an old house converted to a diner with a creamery downstairs.

The best sherbert of the year so far has been lemon lime sherbert. It's day glow green and just wonderful after dinner.

Sherbert is my guilty pleasure.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-20 9:12 AM (#62111 - in reply to #55958)

"I love lamp." <--Anchorman...

Anyhoo, I love the heirloom tomatoes myself- but they are $$$$. I keep telling myself that I'll grow them next year- only next year hasn't happened yet. It's been about 5 years that I've told myself that. But the plants and seeds for them aren't that expensive. It's the fact that not a lot of growers have them. Big Rainbow is my favorite. I worked in an upscale restaurant in Boston awhile back. One of our dishes was a deconstructed tomato tart (that's before deconstructed food was everywhere- it's a little annoying now) ANYHOO.... the plate had to have at minimum 8 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes represented. I had a big bowl of them on my station. They're so pretty. I'm a big produce nerd. I love the shapes, the colors, flavors, everything! I learned sooo much that year about food..... it was cool...
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-20 9:21 AM (#62113 - in reply to #62111)

Expert Yogi

Brandywine makes and excellent tasting tomato....but they all are really "ugly" tomaters,

I grew my own heirloom tomatoes this year....these I eat fresh. Although, the plants are near their end. The tomatoes I made salsa and Italian sauce with came from my brother-in-law's garden....he planted over 150 tomato plants. Swears he will never have problems with his prostrate cause he eats them every day. When I picked up my neice a couple of weeks ago, he had all these tomatoes lining the decks and patio...zillions of them, and completely organic. He said, "take a few home Cyndi" and I most certainly did.

I am seriously looking into making a Hydroponic garden in this small area of my house. I am planning on growing tomatoes and starting plants in it. I just have to make the time to do some re-modeling and painting first. This may be next year's project.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-20 11:16 AM (#62117 - in reply to #55958)

I love planting heirloom tomatoes.

As long as I don't pick all of them, they always volunteer next year.

I had to do my best to erradicate a purple heirloom ugly tomatoe, because it was trying to take over my entire garden.

Now it's just a weed in the overgrowth behind the garden.

I like the amish paste and I guess it's a daughter of the amish paste and the purple ugly.

Very drought tolerant, and since I don't water, that makes a difference.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-21 6:45 PM (#62300 - in reply to #55958)

Cyndi- how could you say they are ugly?! I love the chaos in their shape!

I have to say, hands down, my favorite is Big Rainbow- so gorgeous, so yummy. I also like Green Zebra.
SCT- cool to know that they are drought tolerant. I tend to not water as often either. Maybe I should try my hand at it. So you know as well as I that they are not worth the hefty price tag they come with.
Mushrooms are the same way- all of the Chanterelles, trumpets, hen of the woods, etc. are not worth the $25/lb price tag they carry. Maybe down south. where mushrooms don't grow as easily- kind of like citrus up here. But up north (and in PA for sure! mushroom country) it's silly to pay that much.
I've always wanted to learn how to forage for mushrooms. My grandpa did it in WVA. (he passed away LONG before I came around) I remember my Mom almost passed out when she saw the price on morels- when she was little, they'd forage for them and they were called mollymoochers. We had a forager who would come to the restaurant I worked at in Boston. We'd buy cool ones out of his van- he never charged that much- in fact, he usually traded for plastic containers. We knew he wouldn't bring us poisonous ones because he sold to nearly every upscale restaurant in Boston. He couldn't damage his rep like that. It was awesome. We don't run into those guys down here.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)