YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

define healthy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-12 11:33 AM (#55584)
Subject: define healthy

dose eating healthy really mean just eating fruits and vegies?

don't we need to have some meat ?
and anouther thing how do u no if ur healthy or not
what if u think your healthy but ur not ?

so define healthy ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-12 11:50 AM (#55586 - in reply to #55584)
Subject: RE: define healthy

blood pressure is a good test of health

you do not have to eat meat to be healthy, of course i'd venture to say you do not have to abstain from meat eating either---it is a choice for each to make and others to accept.

However in certain families abstaining from meat eating will involve receiving much criticism that can be unhealthy and lead to much mental/emotional anguish [be prepared].

Variety is the spice of life, be heart healthy.

Being able to have free range of motion is healthy, being bound to the couch is not healthy.

Mental health is primarily important, once this is taken care of everything else will sort of fall into place.

I've three daughters.

Natural foods are amply provided to them, but they really like eating muffins and bacon. So, in the end, as long as they are not complaining, don't have a fever, can run around, swim, bike and play, appear happy......... I'd consider that healthy.

Good Luck, Keep Practicing

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-12 1:15 PM (#55591 - in reply to #55584)

so wait befor u leave

ur telling me i could eat bacon and whatever as long as i'm running and being active ??
well something like that
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-12 1:54 PM (#55593 - in reply to #55584)

No,

but if you like eating bacon and you like eating muffins and you can be active and fit and not suffer from any ailments, I would not try to guilt you out of some dietary choice that you have made.

Guilt and Food is a bad unhealty combination.

Food is one of those things that some consider sacred. I consider it utility for your body.

don't eat too much, but then again, don't eat too little-pay attention to your body

eat slowly, drink plenty of water.

Don't be too strict, unless you want to be. Always be willing to forgive yourself, and love yourself, and sometimes, every once in a while, you deserve a treat [that's what i tell myself].

Like, what does it mean to be kosher? What if this is important to you? It is not important to me, but if it was, there are over 700 strict kosher rules to follow.

You have to make decisions for yourself, that are good for yourself. Take the time to read a lot of information and then base your decision on the information that you have collected.

Maybe you want to be vegatarian?

Take the time to learn a lot about getting the proper nutrients, and having a good variety in your diet.

Maybe you want to make your own yogurt? or raise chickens? I really don't know.

BUT, healthy is happy, through and through.

yogagirl
Posted 2006-06-12 8:58 PM (#55621 - in reply to #55584)

hmmmm ... makes' since ty
redrox
Posted 2006-08-16 7:19 PM (#61860 - in reply to #55584)

yogagirl - 2006-06-12 9:33 AM

dose eating healthy really mean just eating fruits and vegies?

don't we need to have some meat ?
and anouther thing how do u no if ur healthy or not
what if u think your healthy but ur not ?

so define healthy ?

Over the past few years of my transformation from fat guy to fit dude, I have developed a few sayings to convey what I mean more easily. One of them is "Love only those foods that love you back!" Healthy foods are those that "love you back" and support your mind and body as you make your way through your life and all of its various activities.

Fruits and vegetables are for the most part healthy because they are unprocessed, and contain lots of good nutritional content for the calories consumed. Good bang for the buck as it were.

You don't need to eat "meat", but you do need to eat protein. Meats are high in protein, but many are also high in saturated fats which have a pretty high correlation with developing heart disease. You can also find good protein sources in beans (including soy), nuts and some grains like quinoa.

You cannot make up for inadequate nutrition by simply exercising more, so eating a lot of bacon (again high in saturated fats) and trying to "run off" the fat is simply not a good equation. Given your age, size, weight and activity levels, there are some general rules of thumb about what level of caloric intake you need to maintain your weight. Let's just say that is 2000 calories. Theoretically then you can choose to eat 2000 calories of ice cream (or bacon) a day and not gain weight. But you would be very unhealthy. And very hungry! Spread those 2000 calories around among whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and unsaturated fat sources and you can maximize the nutritional value of those 2000 calories and have adequate sources of energy for your brain and body and achieve a balanced diet. Add in some exercise like soccer and yoga and you are well on your way to being healthy!

Eat right and exercise really does work! It's just that no one really gets educated very well about what constitutes "eating right" and the American attention span on dietary education lasts about as long as a Brittney Spears video. Folks want the quick fix and the magic bullet and it just doesn't work like that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)