YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HI
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Now viewing page 10 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-19 4:16 PM (#62081 - in reply to #61919)
Subject: interesting blog

Hi All,
I agree with Judamon that there are plenty of blogs for chitchat. Not that we cannot chitchat here... Thought it would be nice to have a little structure (all chitchats still warmly welcomed).

This is what I propose:
Every two weeks, we have a new topic.
Starting from the ground up, we start with the feet, then move the the knee.

It'd be also constructive to bring things you've learned, heard, read to the blog for sharing.

Here's the schedule:
Week of Aug 20th and 27th, feet
Sept 3 and Sept 11, knee
Sept 18 and 25, hip
Oct 1 and 8th week, spine and ribs
Oct 15 and 22 week, shoulders
Ot 29th and Nov 5th, arms
Nov 12 and 19th, neck
Nove 26th Dec 3, head
December 10th and 17th, sense organs
That brings us straight to Christmas with new insight of the body, hopefully.

If anyone has any suggestion, please share.

Many thanks and I want to thank all of you who so stuck out with this forum though it got to be non-happening. Hope it starts to take on spark, and with open heart we can have great sharing again.

Namaste

zzzulu
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-08-20 7:10 AM (#62104 - in reply to #55544)
Subject: RE: HI

cyndi :- How nice to see your post # 62062 of 2006-08-20 , short and crisp, after a very long time.
The quotations and the ideas in the end are truly marvelous, and genarally speaking, a variety of people are responsible for creating them , may be statesmen, philosophers, holy men, army generals and so on. Reading these influence our thinking positively a lot. It is a joy to read them and talk about such quotations. In that process we remember you too. Best wishes to you cyndi.
tssundaram_80
Posted 2006-08-20 7:31 AM (#62105 - in reply to #55544)

zzzuluwarrior:- Your post # 62081 of 2006-08-2006. Yes, good idea.We shall get into business and start with "Feet". When we exchange ideas through this forum, particularly relating to Body,Diet,Yoga and topics connected with yoga everyone gets benefitted. So we shall start.
dio
Posted 2006-08-20 12:00 PM (#62122 - in reply to #62055)

I am visiting with a dear friend who was curious about 'this Yoga Blog' I so frequently speak of. So I brought him here and let him join in with me reading the past page of two. I introduced him to you all and he says Namaste to you all. He will join us when the time is right so watch for 'dio' and know you have met. Love to all on this wonderful Florida Sunday. Dio lives on the beach.....Yow! Judamom
tourist
Posted 2006-08-20 12:05 PM (#62123 - in reply to #62105)

Expert Yogi

Hi folks. I just have one small request. This one thread is located in the "Iyengar Yoga" section with a title of "Hi." I think if you would move to the "Hatha Yoga" or even "General Yoga" section and start new threads with each new topic, you might get more participation and interest. New people, for example, are unlikely to want to plough through 16 pages of something titled "Hi." If you are happy to continue the way you have started, I don't really mind. It is up to you

Oh - and this is not a blog. It is a message board or forum. If you are directing people here they should look for yoga.com and click on "forums"
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-08-20 10:16 PM (#62190 - in reply to #62123)

Expert Yogi

Amen!!

zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-21 1:09 AM (#62199 - in reply to #62123)
Subject: thread

Hi All, Hello Tourist
I agree with what you are saying. Very good reason. I chose Iyengar yoga when I was looking for a new home from Rodney's blog because of all the wonderful styles out there, I am a bit more familiar with Iyengar.
The thing about moving is that, for some who come to this forum periodically, then may suddenly find us gone. Otherwise, I would be happy to move to another forum within this website.

I think those browsing will be curious, as you can see, many people have visited this forum. Some join in, some just browsing.

Zzzulu
ystan
Posted 2006-08-21 12:52 PM (#62237 - in reply to #62123)

Hi everyone, how about a new thread subject “Zzzuluwarrior and friends” under Everything Elseà General OT? This is at the bottom of the Main Forum Page.

Isn’t the suggested subject title sounded really cool?

Thanks Bay Guy for your prayer!

Namaste

Edited by ystan 2006-08-21 1:07 PM
ystan
Posted 2006-08-21 1:06 PM (#62240 - in reply to #61297)

Shelly,

Hope you and your knee are doing well, and why have you stop posting?

The Yahoo blog has cooled and Msticbeauty has started posting, which is happy development.

Namaste

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-21 7:59 PM (#62306 - in reply to #55544)

Hi all yogis and yoginis. Ystan, thanks for remembering me, how strange that you should post your inquiry on the very day that I'm back online again. First our old computer died, then when we finally replaced it the phone line wasn't working. Sometimes technology just isn't my friend. I missed everyone, and the good conversations, but other than those minor problems everything is fine and going well. The knee has a scar, just a reminder of my lesson learned I suppose. Hope everyone is well, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up. Namaste. Shelly
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-08-21 9:19 PM (#62309 - in reply to #62306)
Subject: elbow alignment

Expert Yogi

Hi.
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-22 2:24 AM (#62333 - in reply to #62240)
Subject: The Feet

As you know, Ida Rolf starts her series of sessions with the feet, for it affects everything else. The feet is out connection to the earth, keeps up grounded, among other things.

I remember my teacher saying that our walking surface is too perfect, and we our feet spend too much time in shoes, so much that they lose sensitivity.

During a trekking trip to Nepal, the sherpas, many of them barefoot, zip up and down the mountains like mountain goats. I remember with great vividness a young sherpa (with shoes) after unloading the pack on his back, "flew" down the hill like a character out of a kung fu movie. The group of us went speechless witnessing this.

What I love to do with beginner yogis is to open up the feet---have them press the sole of their feet into a golf ball and FEEL the feet. Breathe into the feet. Listen to the feet. Once the feet opens up, the standing poses take new meaning.

Namaste

zzzulu
judamom
Posted 2006-08-22 6:16 AM (#62340 - in reply to #62333)
Subject: RE: The Feet

I would list----taking off shoes after a work day----as one of the greatest enjoyments next to getting a foot massage. I am a fortunate being (in my humble opinion) that I live near white sand beaches and do all my walking barefoot. It takes some getting used to but it is well worth the effort in the long run. I have been told forever that it is not good to walk without good shoe support----so many things I do not buy into that seem to keep me very healthy. Maybe while our focus is feet---we should name our toes! That might help to personalize them some......juda
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-22 11:51 AM (#62390 - in reply to #55544)

I try to respect and care for my feet, but lately I feel disrespected by them. Restless legs syndrome runs in my family, and the past couple of weeks my feet are wanting to get up and move while the rest of me is exhausted. Sometimes a good scrubbing and rub down helps, but lately they have been more stubborn in there convictions. Hopefully it will ease up again.

An interesting topic on the subject of feet is reflexology. I don't know how much of it is actually true but I have felt some relief from something bothering me at one time by massaging the corresponding area on the reflexology chart. It could have been just the massage feeling good, giving a relief of some sort, or it could be real. One of my favorite self massages is to crush cardboard egg cartons with my feet. There's never enough empty egg cartons. I'll have to try golf balls. Thanks for the idea. Enjoy today, Shelly
judamom
Posted 2006-08-22 3:07 PM (#62412 - in reply to #62390)

Shelly--reflexology is a fun study........I don't see how it can be true or false when all the nerve endings of the entire body end in the feet and hands. You would have to believe in a direct connection.....wouldn't you? Good to see you back on line......with your body wanting to sit and your legs wanting to travel......you aren't a Gemini are you? I will/am enjoying the day and thank-you! Juda
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-23 1:13 PM (#62573 - in reply to #55544)

Hi Judamom, at one time I saw an article with scientists going against the benefits of reflexology. Of course it's like that with anything really, and I do believe in the benefits even if someone is going to stand over me and call it bull. As for astrology signs, I'm a Scorpio, obsessive nature and bad temper included, so I have a few personal challenges. As for the restless legs syndrome, it's pretty annoying to be exhausted and want to sleep, and have my feet feeling crazy. My mother is like this also, so I suppose it's one of those things. Like everything else the make a pill for it now, but I'm not of that mentality to take drugs for minor inconveniences. I'm trying legs up the wall for a while before bed, but am still tossing and turning. I'm worried that I'm making my husband crazy from it. As far as personal problems go it's minor, and I'm thankful for that. Shelly
ystan
Posted 2006-08-24 11:27 PM (#62820 - in reply to #62105)

T.S. Sundaram, I read from Yahoo blog you had suffered 4 falls in the last 12 months, however, fortunately with only minor injuries. Were the falls due to same reasons, and have you analyzed each situation? Was it due to leg muscles, eyesight or the balancing mechanism? Are you using a walking stick or have you considered one? Hope you have now fully recovered.

Dio, welcome and I look forward to reading your posting soon!

Namaste
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-26 1:39 AM (#62875 - in reply to #62573)
Subject: Shelly's restless feet

Hi Shelly and all the wonderful yogis/yoginis here
Shelly, your restless leg syndrome, it's most interesting to read. Do you mean that the sensation actually come from your feet? I am asking this, as to, your heart desiring ou to be elsewhere, hence the restless feet.

Where is the source of this syndrome? You've perked my curiosity.

Zzzulu
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-26 1:47 AM (#62877 - in reply to #62875)
Subject: Hello

Hello everyone
I have started a new post under Zzzuluwarrior and Friends, thanks to Tourist, ystan and other friends' suggestion. Thank you. Great idea and sorry it took me so many days to implement it.

Hope to see you all there, and hope Mystic Beauty will join too.

Zzzulu
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-26 9:37 AM (#62896 - in reply to #55544)

Hi Zzzulu, it's always nice to hear from you. Yes the restlessness is all in my feet. My heart knows where it belongs, and is secure in that knowledge, it's just my feet that get confused. Maybe like a newborn baby that wants to play at night, and sleep all day. Only, I'm sure to keep my feet active during the day in hopes of wearing them out but I'm having a hard time getting them to see the reason behind it. I finally asked my husband if I'm keeping him awake. At first he said no, but admitted he saw that I was putting my legs up and stretching them. I was doing it before going to bed, but am now also doing it after trying to sleep for a while. It's the strangest feeling to be exhausted, and feel crazy energy in the feet only. It usually waxes and wanes, and so I hope to be toward the end of the cycle. This last one was the worst I can remember though. Other than that, I'm doing well, and hope the same for you, Shelly
zzzuluwarrior
Posted 2006-08-26 3:02 PM (#62931 - in reply to #62896)
Subject: crazy energy in feet

Hi Shelly
Have you try soaking your feet in hot water and giving yourself a nice foot bath/massage before going to bed?

zzzulu
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-26 3:34 PM (#62936 - in reply to #55544)
Subject: RE:crazy feet

Hi Zzzulu, yes that's some thing I try. Sometimes I get up and try it again. At least I know my feet are clean. Thanks for trying though. I appreciate it. Shelly
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-28 5:52 PM (#63043 - in reply to #55544)

Hi all you wonderful yoga people, Last night I had a good night sleep. It felt fabulous. I don't know if something I did different helped, or if it just finally wound itself down. I had cold feet during the day, and wore wool socks for most of the day, which I haven't worn since last fall. Also, as a snack before bedtime I ate blueberries instead of something like dry cereal, like I would usually have if I were hungry at night. Either way, like a good luck talisman, I'm going to try it again. I hope it doesn't get crazy hot again any time soon, I'll look ridiculous in wool socks! Namaste. Shelly
Nick
Posted 2006-08-29 2:40 AM (#63071 - in reply to #62936)
Subject: RE:crazy feet

Hi Shelly,
Just downloaded this for you:

In other cases, RLS (restless legs syndrome) appears to be related to the following factors or conditions, although researchers do not yet know if these factors actually cause RLS.

People with low iron levels or anaemia may be prone to developing RLS. Once iron levels or anaemia is corrected, patients may see a reduction in symptoms.
Chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and peripheral neuropathy are associated with RLS. Treating the underlying condition often provides relief from RLS symptoms.
Some pregnant women experience RLS, especially in their last trimester. For most of these women, symptoms usually disappear within four weeks after delivery.
Certain medications-such as antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), antiseizure drugs (phenytoin or droperidol), antipsychotic drugs (haloperidol or phenothiazine derivatives), and some cold and allergy medications-may aggravate symptoms. Patients can talk with their physicians about the possibility of changing medications.

Apparently restless legs were first described by Willis in 1672, his treatment of choice was opium-you might need to move to Thailand and get yourself a habit
I knew one guy who used to get restless legs if he ate sugar or chocolate, so it would seem that there may be a dietary influence-I think you basically have to keep a diary of everything that you do, and then eliminate the activity or diet that seems to bring on an attack. Some of the causes above are scary, hope you don't mind me bringing them to your attention-best to consider all things, I think
Take care
Nick

Edited by Nick 2006-08-29 2:44 AM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-29 11:02 AM (#63116 - in reply to #55544)

Thanks for helping with some research Nick. Another person sent me a hint that it might have to do with a presence of uric acid, and quite a few of those things seem related. A few years ago a friend of mine had a gout attack, and I knew cherries were recommended. I had no cherries on hand, and tried to think of a substitute. The closest thing I could think of was the blue berries, and I think they helped, and found another site that recommended any type of dark berries. I'm not overweight, don't drink alchohol, don't eat meat or seafood, so some of the other things were stumping me. The only thing I can think of that I ate in the last couple of weeks that I don't usually was almonds. They weren't on any list of problem related foods. I was eating less bread, and another site says to eat plenty of bread. It's kind of confusing.

I had already been planning on having a checkup once school starts, and I suppose this will motivate me. I'm drinking more water, and making sure to take my vitamins, which I usually don't bother with. Oh yeah, and I'm not on any medication. My sister tends toward anemia, and I'll be sure to have all the blood tests when I make my doctors appt. I feel good though, and last night I slept well. Thankfully, Shelly
Jump to page : < ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Now viewing page 10 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)